Discussions on AYP Deep Meditation and Samyama
 Differences between a.m. and p.m. meditations
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

CarsonZi

Canada
3189 Posts

Posted - Mar 31 2010 :  1:33:01 PM  Show Profile  Visit CarsonZi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Namaste All

Just curious if any of you out there notice any differences between your morning and your afternoon meditation sessions.

Personally, I have been going through a phase lately where my morning meditation consists of about 3-8 mantra repetitions total.....I will finish pranayam and then move into meditation, I will introduce the mantra once, sometimes twice and then am "gone" for a long period of time....not dreaming, not thinking, just gone. I will occassionally "come back", reintroduce the mantra, and then am usually gone for another lengthy period of time.

In the afternoons my meditations are much different. I will repeat the mantra many many many times, the mantra will become more and more subtle, but it is not very often that I find I am "gone" like in my morning meditations and it is not often that I find I lose the mantra. I will occasionally notice thoughts overlaying the mantra and will choose to favor the mantra at this point in time, but my afternoon meditations almost never seem to go as deep as my morning ones.

Just wondering if anyone can relate to this, if anyone has any suggestions for me, or if I should be making sure that I am more "awake" in my morning sessions or if I should be trying to be "quieter" in my afternoon sessions. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Love!

Arjuna

USA
69 Posts

Posted - Mar 31 2010 :  3:14:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
My personal experience has been that AM meditations take me deeper into silence than PM sessions. Interestingly, all of my overload episodes occurred post AM sessions.
To add perspective, my AM session is 5:00 AM, and my evening session is 6:00PM...each lasting 1 hour.
Go to Top of Page

Akasha

421 Posts

Posted - Mar 31 2010 :  3:59:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
There's more prana in the morning- the field seems purer.The charge is greater.Thats why they prescribe surya namaskar before(2hrs-4am onwards-hour of brahmamurti) or during sun-rise(6am and after).It's also quieter so there's less disturbance.Notice also that crime and human conflict is less in the morning - there just seems to be less demons around. For e.g Folk don't seem to commit murder at 6am.So i think the atmosphere has a higher satttvic charge to it.

It could be your mind is also more stilled a.m,it usuallly- they say kids and the mind tends to be sharper and perform better in the morning .Also it has not been agitated by that day's events & challenges,come p.m.The flip side to this is, of course, one could still be in a state of slumber too, not fullly "awake" awake.

So in a nutshell i would figure that spiritual practice is more effective am. than p.m. not just because the pranic field is purer, so has a greater charge- more sattvic time of day etc , and also the mind is stiller as long as it's not still in dream-state or half-alseep of course.

You say-

A-

A.M Session- Fewer rep's, and then 'gone', so to speak.

P.M Session-Many reps, but also subtler form, but not 'gone' as much- i.e you don't go as deep.

Well what i've said is the only thing i can think of- the mind naturally goes to silness easier in the morning.Most productive periods of work are in the morning for this very reason.The mind is naturally stiller, as well as the energetic/pranic field being purer.

The pm. sesion will re-inforce the a.m session because yoga is all about practice; they must go on and on,& evolve, even when the job is finally completed and beyond.
Go to Top of Page

SeySorciere

Seychelles
1553 Posts

Posted - Apr 01 2010 :  04:45:09 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I feel the opposite; PM I have shed my daily load, I'm relaxed, and go deep into silence. AM, I'm alive, fresh, impatient to roll and so I have difficulty in focusing on the meditation at hand. I go off in thoughts.
Go to Top of Page

emc

2072 Posts

Posted - Apr 01 2010 :  3:24:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I have the same experience as SeySorciere.

Morning meditations feel pretty worthless most of the time. The mind shoots all ammunition at once when waking up and is intensely distracting. Meditations are often very mindy and short.

Evening meditations knock me out quickly - going very deep. I often sit in silence long afterwards, during resting time. Or go off into sessions of automatic movements etc.
Go to Top of Page

Wafu

United Kingdom
76 Posts

Posted - Apr 06 2010 :  06:16:23 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I'm glad this came up, I've been meaning to raising this issue for a while!

My experiences fall in line with those of emc and SeySorciere, I find it more difficult to relax into both pranayama and meditation in the morning, especially if I'm feeling a little groggy (which more often than not I do after the night, especially with waking up to an alarm at some point in the middle of the natural sleep cycle).

Evening practices seem to work far better for me, the after effects being far more profound and longer lasting through the rest of the evening.

Interesting that there's been a mixed response to this, it would be interesting to set up a large poll in the form of a site survey or something :)

Love x
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000