Discussions on AYP Deep Meditation and Samyama
 Question on mantras for Yogani
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

snake

United Kingdom
277 Posts

Posted - Jan 10 2006 :  04:15:24 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
This is a question for Yogani but anyone else's imput is welcome.

Please could you put into perspective for me 3 mantras in relation to the IAM mantra.

ok first one is a TM mantra RAM which I understand was their main mantra for about 10 years.

second is Shama which is on of the TM mantras they give over 60's.

and third is Maranatha the Aramaic word that the christain meditators use nowdays.

my main questions are could you please explain how they correlate with the tuning of the nervous system ie as IAM gets the brow to root area,where do these others hit?

because of my roots I sometimes feel a pull toward the Christian type mystic area but trying the maranatha it seems to pulsate in and out so to speak and i dont find it quite takes me to silence.

I don't know how much you know of the TM mantras but their idea of giving Mantras for different age groups seems strange,what is your take on this please?

And if one just sits and lets the mind settle without a Mantra,is this have a valid practice or would it seem better to get to silence by first using a mantra.
I sometimes feel when first sitting that it's an effort to sound the mantra to get to the peace when sometimes one can sit and be there from the off so to speak.

I hope I have made my questions reasonably clear and thankyou for any help you can advise.

Edited by - david_obsidian on Jan 10 2006 1:18:44 PM

yogani

USA
5201 Posts

Posted - Jan 10 2006 :  09:47:34 AM  Show Profile  Visit yogani's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Snake:

Sorry, but I am not a position to comment on the TM system of mantras.

There are books full of mantras, though rarely an effective method for using them. I am asked about different mantras all the time, and I usually beg off. It is impossible to explain what everyone else is trying to do with mantras.

The goal in AYP has been to come up with a simple "universal" approach to mantra utilization that is effective for both immediate and long term purification and opening. I'd like to stick with that as a baseline.

Of course, anyone is free to explore anything else. I would only caution not to try and do too many things at once with mantra. The results can get diluted very quickly. Remember, the purpose in mantra yoga is to ride (refine) the mantra inward to where there is no mantra at all -- Only pure bliss consciousness. Less is more in deep meditation. So, the less mental baggage we are carrying, the better.

Also, when digging a well, success is most likely if we keep digging in one place. In other words, switching mantras around often is not necessarily the best strategy for maximizing our progress. In the end, is not about the mantra(s). It is about how well we have become stabilized in pure bliss consciousness, which is beyond all mantras. For achieving that, the correct use of a single mantra will be most effective.

The guru is in you.
Go to Top of Page

david_obsidian

USA
2602 Posts

Posted - Jan 10 2006 :  10:08:05 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply

Hello Snake,

I am not putting myself forward as a mantra expert, but I have been meditating for over twenty years and do feel significant differences between mantras, straight away usually.

I will say from trying it that 'maranatha' does not seem for me to be that good a mantra, at least not right now. It's hard for me to go into the anatomy of it (and it is all very subjective) but I will note that it (i) has no 'high-frequency' component, no ringing 'EEE' sound (ii) has probably a lot of (too many for a starting mantra?) syllables at 4 (iii) starts with 'm' which I think is unusual(?) -- most of the good ones seem to finish with M or something like it (NG) on the last syllable.

-D

Go to Top of Page

snake

United Kingdom
277 Posts

Posted - Jan 10 2006 :  12:42:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanyou Yogani for your reply which I respect and understand,it gets to the point:)

David hi and thankyou for your reply.I think your take on maranatha is very similar to mine.

I would love to hear your obsevations on Ram and Shama also please.

I do feel IAM seems to be doing the job well:)

thankyou both
Go to Top of Page

david_obsidian

USA
2602 Posts

Posted - Jan 10 2006 :  1:17:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply

Hello Snake,

for my own take on IAM and why I believe it works well, see my response to Frank in this post:

http://www.aypsite.org/forum/topic....TOPIC_ID=408

As regards Shama and Ram, they seem good, but they don't seem to energize like IAM (I believe it is the 'EEEEE' sound in 'IAM' that energizes ). I'm thinking these might be good 'recluse mantras' as opposed to 'householder mantras'. They might be good for the end of your life when you want to go into The Heart and not do Didley Squat any more. That's just an impression though -- could be wrong.

-D

Edited by - david_obsidian on Jan 10 2006 1:18:03 PM
Go to Top of Page

snake

United Kingdom
277 Posts

Posted - Jan 10 2006 :  1:50:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
thankyou David for a quick reply.you must be like me and check in on here a lot lol.

I will check out your link thanks. also re the Shama again just what I felt very Heart based mantra very soothing rather than energising, Ram I found more energising but not as much as IAM
thankyou
Go to Top of Page

Frank-in-SanDiego

USA
363 Posts

Posted - Jan 10 2006 :  9:47:24 PM  Show Profile  Visit Frank-in-SanDiego's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hari Om
~~~~~~~
quote:
Originally posted by david_obsidian

...when you want to go into The Heart and not do Didley Squat any more.

Hello David/Snake (et.al)
Please sign me up for both didley and squat... I am ready!!!
As I will leave more profound discussions on mantras for others, I will say I am very impressed with Ram.. pronounced Raa-mm. Many bija mantras are powerful, and when strung together continue to do their work on different parts of the nervous system which is called the 'village of the senses'.
So, Raa-mmm does one thing, then one adds Sri to it for Sri Raam. Sri does 'her' work... then mantras are metered out to continue to refine the user (sadhu). I also agree with David, that mantras can be tailored for specific types ( householders to the serious recluse)... in each case the fundamentals are key: rest and activity i.e "withdraw, then withdraw from the withdrawal" as the rishi's say.

Peace,

Frank In San Diego
Go to Top of Page

david_obsidian

USA
2602 Posts

Posted - Jan 11 2006 :  10:16:59 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
When I look at it again, Ram is fairly energizing, and I could be quite wrong in my first impression that it is recluse-ish. Certainly, Sri Ram feels quite energizing. By the way, Sri Ram has significant rhyme with IAM.

Edited by - david_obsidian on Jan 11 2006 10:17:36 AM
Go to Top of Page

riptiz

United Kingdom
741 Posts

Posted - Jan 11 2006 :  5:47:06 PM  Show Profile  Visit riptiz's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi,
Ram is used with Om also for the bijas for working on the solar plexus(Manipura).When I practised TM I was given the mantra IIM.
L&L
Dave

'the mind can see further than the eyes'
Go to Top of Page

Vayu

USA
40 Posts

Posted - Aug 24 2011 :  8:48:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I find that Sri resonates more near the back of the spine, along the back of the head, all the way to the crown and kinda feels aggressive. I just silently repeated Sri several times in a row after my session today and it felt uncomfortable, especially near the throat(kind of like a very very faint about-to-vomit sensation). I backed off right away since it felt like it might bring the so called overloading if I kept going.

Then just for comparison, I tried Shree several times in a row. It has a more softer, smoother feeling and feels like its resonating more near the frontal spine and central of the head, all the way up to the crown. It felt so much better than Sri. The difference in the sound is so little(in terms of "normal" sound) but so huge when using as a mantra. Now, I really appreciate Yogani's very careful and thoughtful mantra recipe that is gentle AND effective for beginners like me. Thank you!

Edited by - Vayu on Aug 24 2011 9:53:40 PM
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000