Other Systems and Alternate Approaches
 Japa Mala
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

tamasaburo

USA
136 Posts

Posted - Jan 21 2010 :  10:22:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Hi, I was considering trying my deep meditation with a mala (string of 108 beads) to help with staying on task. I know we aren't supposed to force ourselves to stay on the mantra, but lately I've been feeling very frustrated at how little time I seem to spend on the mantra before finding myself thinking about other, day-to-day concerns. I don't have this problem so much with pranayama and samyama, because there I feel like I have more feelings and procedures to hang on to.

Or maybe I'd be messing up the process of losing and coming back to the mantra by trying to force my concentration this way? Thanks for any comments or insight.

JDH

USA
331 Posts

Posted - Jan 21 2010 :  11:45:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi tamasaburo,

Through reading many old posts, and a couple months of daily practice, my understanding is that even during those day to day thoughts during meditation, something important is happening. Something about having those day to day thoughts, and having them right next to deep stillness causes a purification of the whole thinking process. As it says in the lessons, there is a complex neurobiological transformation going on - the practice of mantra meditation is literally reorganizing and transforming our neurology, and part of that is through our thought experiences.

Some days will be more still than others. Let go of the expectations and experiences in any individual session, and embrace the long term direction of the simple practice.

Hope that helps :)
JDH
Go to Top of Page

Shanti

USA
4854 Posts

Posted - Jan 22 2010 :  08:29:42 AM  Show Profile  Visit Shanti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Tamasaburo.

JDH has given you a great reply.

Beads, chanting, japa all have their place, but it is not during Deep meditation. It is better not to get used to external crutches, better to go inward on your own.

Being caught up in thoughts is not bad you know? The short period (fraction of a second), when you realize you are off the mantra and you go back to the mantra you touch a part of the inner silence, a gap. Also, the thoughts that you are caught up in, are not really a bad thing, most times it is things being released, which is really good.

Before you know it, you will be meditating and losing the mantra and you will not realize where you were. The less energy you give to the thought that I have too many thoughts and the more you treat it as a process of meditation.. thoughts.. mantra... thoughts... mantra... the faster you will settle into a no thought state. The more you try to keep the thoughts away, the more they will stay in place.
Here is an awesome reply from Yogani:
quote:
Originally posted by yogani

quote:
Originally posted by Christi

I don’t know what Yogani's stance is on the practice, but I have noticed that continuous mantra repetition (japa) has not made it into the top 20 advanced yoga practices in AYP.

Hi Christi:

That's right, and there is a reason for it. There is a big difference between a "meditation habit" and a "mantra habit." One naturally enlivens our normal daily activity with abiding inner silence, while the other divides our thought process between constant mantra repetition and normal activity (which limits the mantra as a vehicle for cultivating inner silence). People with a mantra habit sometimes have difficulty learning the simple procedure of deep meditation because they are so used to mechanically droning on with mantra during all other activity, giving attention to both (dividing the mind), which is not meditation. This is discussed in the deep meditation book.

Which is not to say continuous japa is not useful for some, but it seems to be a small minority of those who use it.

It boils down to the statistics. We aim for reliable results.

The guru is in you.

Here is a topic that may help:
Saying mantra loudly

Here is what Yogani says in the lesson:
quote:

http://www.aypsite.org/14.html
During meditation, we know the process is working when
we lose the mantra and later find ourselves in some other thoughts.
During the meditation procedure, these other thoughts are a symptom
that something has been released. Recognizing that, we go back to the
mantra and continue the process. It is important to be easy with the
mantra, not hanging on to a clear mental pronunciation, not hanging
on to an unclear mental pronunciation, no hanging on at all, just
easily being with it. If we develop this habit if easiness, the mind
will settle into its silence naturally. It is a natural process of
our mind we are facilitating.

Often it is just losing the mantra, having some pleasant unaccounted
for time of no mantra and no thoughts, then becoming aware of
thoughts again, and then going back to the mantra. The cleansing
process goes on. This is perfect meditation. This is the habit we
want to cultivate in meditation every day, for it will lead us to the
infinite.

Go to Top of Page

tamasaburo

USA
136 Posts

Posted - Jan 22 2010 :  10:19:56 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi, thanks, both of you, for the advice. The idea of the distinction between a "meditation habit" and a "mantra habit" is interesting and helpful. I might try a little bit of mantra-recitation with beads between my pranayama and deep meditation to see if it helps me concentrate, but I can see how the deep meditation in which the mantra is allowed to be lost may serve a different function than what is achieved with a mala or other aid.

Go to Top of Page

Shanti

USA
4854 Posts

Posted - Jan 22 2010 :  10:23:28 AM  Show Profile  Visit Shanti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by tamasaburo

Hi, thanks, both of you, for the advice. The idea of the distinction between a "meditation habit" and a "mantra habit" is interesting and helpful. I might try a little bit of mantra-recitation with beads between my pranayama and deep meditation to see if it helps me concentrate, but I can see how the deep meditation in which the mantra is allowed to be lost may serve a different function than what is achieved with a mala or other aid.

Awesome!
Just don't do japa with the mantra you use for deep meditation. Then you will get into the mantra habit.
Go to Top of Page

Victor

USA
910 Posts

Posted - Jan 22 2010 :  6:26:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I use mala beads for my AYP meditation practice. It frees me from being dependant on an alarm or checking my watch. When I have done two rounds I am done. Works for me
Go to Top of Page

tamasaburo

USA
136 Posts

Posted - Jan 22 2010 :  7:02:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Yeah, I'm not sure I see the problem if you are only repeating the mantra with the beads during your dedicated meditation time. I do understand that allowing the mantra to become lost when it will may play some role, and I don't intend to eliminate the "prop-free" meditation time, but it also doesn't seem like you risk splitting your attention that much--as it would if say, you were repeating "i am, i am, i am..." in line at the grocery.
Go to Top of Page

brother neil

USA
752 Posts

Posted - Jan 22 2010 :  7:24:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
tamasaburo
well to each there own and it is your choice what and how you choose to do it.
Part of the process described here is to loose yourself so to speak. The mantra is said internally in hopes that it will take you to the stillness within. You are talking of adding an external physical movement. seems to be opposite of the intention of how the practice is laid out. However, whatever works best for you is what matters most
best to you
brother Neil
Go to Top of Page

wigswest

USA
115 Posts

Posted - Jan 23 2010 :  12:50:18 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Here is a question I have about japa, seeing as I have just received my first beads :)

When I meditate with my mantra, I can get totally absorbed into the sound of each syllable, lots of resonance, it's great...japa on the other hand, seems almost like a mantra "meat market", just churning out the syllables as quickly as possible to get one's daily allotments of repetitions in...

Is there a middle ground between these two (as I perceive it) extremes that might serve me for counting on the beads? Or is number of repetitions all that really matters with this?

Obviously, I am an extreme newbie, so thanks to all for their replies :)

Go to Top of Page

Victor

USA
910 Posts

Posted - Jan 23 2010 :  07:20:37 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I think that its all good as long as you practice regularly and with sensitivity. It should not be a mechanical process but at the same time I find that using the beads does seem to help me. The practice itself will teach you.
Go to Top of Page

AYPforum

351 Posts

Posted - Jan 23 2010 :  10:01:59 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Moderator note: Topic moved for better placement
Go to Top of Page

riptiz

United Kingdom
741 Posts

Posted - Jan 25 2010 :  10:48:13 AM  Show Profile  Visit riptiz's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi,
The aims of japa and meditation are different.Japa is used to promote energy for purification to allow a greater change in consciousness when meditating.They are distinctly different practices.In the lineage I follow there is great emphasis on japa but normally it is for periods of anhustan.11 days of intense practices which in AYP thoughts would be asking for overload.Anhustan is normally about 3 hrs a day of japa depending on the number of rounds one is doing and whether you can in a normal state of consciousness.(Falling into samadhi means it takes a bit longer)Recently when I was in India for xmas my guru was doing 13 hrs daily but he has need to recharge the battery that we are all constantly drawing off especially after giving shaktipat.
If you are doing japa you need to use it for intense practices to realise the changes so I would say in the AYP model it is not advisable.
L&L
Dave
Go to Top of Page

Victor

USA
910 Posts

Posted - Jan 25 2010 :  3:17:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
So is simply using the beads as a counting device doing japa? Is that a different practice? I simply do the AYP mantra the way that Yogani teaches but each time I do the mantra I move my fingers one bead. At the end of one round I go the other direction. After 2 rounds I am done for that practice as it takes about 20-25 mins. It has felt good to me for several years and not sure what makes it so different.
Go to Top of Page

riptiz

United Kingdom
741 Posts

Posted - Jan 25 2010 :  4:47:01 PM  Show Profile  Visit riptiz's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Victor,
You raise a good point.I should have stated that when we do japa we recite the mantras in our heads as fast as possible.This creates a vibration that becomes continuous and creates a lot of energy which purifies the nervous system.I am sure that your japa is doing the same thing in a small way but it would take a lot longer to achieve the same effect. I think it's a case as one size doesn't fit all as Yogani says.Incidentally we are forcing the mantra to remain on the surface but it is for a different result.
L&L
Dave
Go to Top of Page

yogani

USA
5201 Posts

Posted - Jan 25 2010 :  5:26:16 PM  Show Profile  Visit yogani's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Victor

So is simply using the beads as a counting device doing japa? Is that a different practice? I simply do the AYP mantra the way that Yogani teaches but each time I do the mantra I move my fingers one bead. At the end of one round I go the other direction. After 2 rounds I am done for that practice as it takes about 20-25 mins. It has felt good to me for several years and not sure what makes it so different.

Hi Victor:

This is not AYP deep meditation according to procedure. It does not allow for spontaneously losing the mantra in stillness and coming back when we realize we have gone off it, unless you are "losing it" very rhythmically according to a mala count and arriving at the right time duration of practice every time, which is highly unlikely.

Some meditations we will pick up the mantra once and be gone in pure bliss consciousness for the whole session. Other times we will be much on the surface with the mantra. And everything in-between. It all depends on the process of purification and opening occurring within us at any point in time. Externally regulating this process will reduce its effectiveness.

It is not for us (or a mala) to say how many times we will return to the mantra. Using a mala to count mantra repetitions to measure a specific time duration will tend to hold us on the surface. Using a clock is a better approach for this kind of meditation. It allows for a more natural process to occur during our meditation session, leading to much deeper penetration in stillness.

This is not to say mala is not useful for other forms of mantra (or prayer) repetition, but not for AYP deep meditation.

Here is what I said about it in Lesson 86:
quote:
Mala beads are for a different kind of approach to meditation, and to pranayama as well. They are for counting. Malas were around long before clocks, and the number of mantra repetitions and breathing cycles were counted to have a measured approach, so as not to overdo or underdo practices. This produces a small restriction, especially in meditation, because it ties the mantra to an outer activity, ticking off the beads one by one with the fingers. It becomes an unconscious habit, yet still we are regulating the mantra with an outer activity. With the clock, we can let the mantra (and the breath in pranayama) go naturally according to the unique purification need of the nervous system. We have talked a lot about this already. Using the clock is a flexible approach to measuring the amount of inner practices. Of course, we will peek at the clock now and then, but in time we find that our automatic inner clock is nearly as good as the outer one. The outer clock then becomes an occasional confirmation of the inner one. There is a lesson (#23) on this in the meditation Q&As called, "Watching the clock."

The guru is in you.

Go to Top of Page

Victor

USA
910 Posts

Posted - Jan 27 2010 :  5:22:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you Yogani,
I stand corrected. Today I practiced with a timer rather than the mala and the practice was softer, quieter and it felt good not to have that small current of activity go through my arm and hand. I checked the timer once during the practice and it showed that I had 2 minutes left so pretty close. I did have more tendency to get lost in thought however before returning to the mantra, but it was the first time this way in a long time and in general the whole experiene felt more subtle. Only negative result was irritation when my little alarm went off. Time to find a new timer. Any suggestions for a small portable alarm timer?
Go to Top of Page

yogani

USA
5201 Posts

Posted - Jan 27 2010 :  5:34:44 PM  Show Profile  Visit yogani's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Victor:

Don't know if your email has changed in the last few years, but I emailed you on this earlier today. Copied below.

As for a timer, I have never used one. A clock or watch has always been sufficient here.

The guru is in you.
--------------

Hi Victor:

I wanted to make sure you saw this:
http://www.aypsite.org/forum/topic....D=7109#63826

I had to step in there to avoid possible confusion for others on AYP deep meditation procedure.

This is not to imply you have been wasting your time. If you decide to move from mala to clock, you can consider it to have been a useful stepping stone to a deeper practice. Moving to the clock could be considered to be like adding a mantra enhancement. :-)

All the best!

The guru is in you.

Yogani

Go to Top of Page

Victor

USA
910 Posts

Posted - Jan 27 2010 :  6:14:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, I got your email at the same time that I read your post here so I decided to answer it here.
Go to Top of Page

Victor

USA
910 Posts

Posted - Feb 04 2010 :  3:53:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I want to say at this point that giving up the beads has been very beneficial. In retrospect using teh beads feels a little bit like trying to sail a boat that is still tied to teh dock. Fingering the beads was a small thread tying me to physical activity and definitely preventing letting go and going deeper. It was a small fidget that was going on all the time in practice that maybe helped at first as I have a restless tendency but definitely was good to let go of
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000