Other Systems and Alternate Approaches
 christian mantra practice
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

snake

United Kingdom
277 Posts

Posted - Jan 08 2006 :  11:39:21 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
ala John main using maranatha, has anyone used this and how does it fir in regarding vibrating the sushumna or 3rd eye area?
thanks

ranger

USA
45 Posts

Posted - Feb 06 2006 :  2:16:46 PM  Show Profile  Visit ranger's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I have two responses to this, one about the use of maranatha, and the other about a retreat I attended last year with Laurence Freeman, John Main's successor.

First, I find that after spinal breathing I can generally sense, at least to some degree, where the mantra's energy is focused. Working with maranatha it seemed very concentrated at the heart, to the point where an uncomfortable pressure in the chest resulted, so it did not work for me as a meditative tool, though I've sometimes used it in situations like traffic jams where the effects are not as focused.

Secondly, Laurence Freeman is just about the only Christian theologian I pay attention to anymore. He's an extremely liberal priest, author of "Jesus, the Teacher Within," which is dense, but lively. Several of the comments he made that I remember:

- "I think a lot of the Old Testament accounts of God smiting this or that person or group really amounts to their explantion of the working of the law of karma."

- "There is nothing in the gospels that contradicts the law of karma. What the gospels do is bring in the laws of love and grace, which can overrule karma."

- "The greatest need of every soul is love, and the sooner we get clear on that, the sooner we can resist the culture's push to consume all sorts of substitutes."

Also at the retreat was an interesting film on the life of Bede Griffiths and the need for the recovery of the Divine Feminine in Christianity.

A very worthwhile event.
Go to Top of Page

rabar

USA
64 Posts

Posted - Mar 07 2006 :  9:12:04 PM  Show Profile  Visit rabar's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
This website has a very interesting use of mantra in a Christian setting:

http://www.chrmysticaloutreach.com/.../1/index.htm

He suggests a subvocal 'Father' on the inhale and 'Peace' on the exhale, but also explains that it's the 'uh' in 'father' that's important and the 'ee' in 'peace.' I've been trying the 'ah' and 'ee' subvocally in social settings and find it quite powerful.

Edited by - rabar on Mar 07 2006 9:43:39 PM
Go to Top of Page

rabar

USA
64 Posts

Posted - Mar 07 2006 :  9:39:05 PM  Show Profile  Visit rabar's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Actually Adam West's topic here, "A realized Christain Mystics view on Pranayama," is the link that led me to my above posting (page two in Other Systems topics). Thanks, Adam!
Go to Top of Page

snake

United Kingdom
277 Posts

Posted - Aug 24 2006 :  12:11:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Ranger
I find it interesting about the heart pressure you felt,any more thoughts since?
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000