Discussions on AYP Deep Meditation and Samyama
 Meditation Why 20 min and why AM/PM?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Frank-in-SanDiego

USA
363 Posts

Posted - Jan 01 2006 :  10:34:51 PM  Show Profile  Visit Frank-in-SanDiego's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Hari Om
~~~~~~
Hello folks,

I thought to kick 'round a few ideas for your consideration - that is meditation times (or Sandhya upasana).

- Where did the 20 min of meditation come from ?
- Why meditate AM and PM ?
Per AYP the instruction for meditation twice a day. I am not suggesting otherwise - just adding knowledge to the mix.
This post also talks about other spiritual times of the day for your viewing pleasure and information.

First why AM and PM
This is based upon 'gaps' in the day called Sandhya. This 'Sandhya' is considered a junction point in time, and upasana as you folks know is ones practice or meditation; hence you are then a Upasaka, or one who meditates during sandhya.

So, today most of us meditate AM and PM... there are junction points at these times . What's the junction? Twilight or the changing of the sun's position in the sky that can translate to ones meditation experiences. The sun plays a key role in timing everything on earth AND is the atman or soul indicator (Atmakaraka) for all on this planet. Since meditation deals with realizing the SELF ( Atman) , the sun has its influence here.

Lets look at a few junction points: Sunrise, noon, sunset and midnight are considered the key sandhya times during the day.
Also note there are these junction points during the 12 months as the sun, surya transits one sign to another; Like that, there are multiple other times, but for now lets look at the following:

Morning is Brahma Muhurta Sandhya
Noon for Vishnu Sandhya
Sunset called Mahesha Sandhya
Midnight called Kali or Turiya Sandhya

As we mediate close to these junctions, it is thought that Turiya consciousness (4th state) is closer or easier to reach, hence the value of these times. For those on a special program e.g. gayatri, usually all 4 times are used... not usually done as a 'householder' where AM and PM are sufficient, till one gets the 'calling'.
So, A.M. is Brahma Sandhya - a excellent time - around the time before sunrise. I have without fail enjoyed the best experiences at this time, as it is said, all nature wakes up at this time. You can (I can) feel the Woosh of life's energy begin at this time.
And PM, is Mahesha Sandhya ~ around sunset/twilight, just as the sun goes down below the horizon i.e. twilight.

20 Min of Meditation
Lets start with Muhurta. As I mentioned muhurta above, this is a specific period of time e.g. 1/30th of the day is (1) muhurta or 48 minutes. The math here is interesting as it goes all the way back to the smallest period of time ( truti) and all the way up to 100 years of Brahma ( a few zillion years or so) - but I digress.

Meditation times can be based upon muhurta. As most of you meditate ~ 20 min + a few min entering and exiting meditation, its 1/2 of a muhurta ... ~ 24 min, Done 2X per day , you get your 1 Muhurta. There's the audit trail.
[For those that are advanced, longer meditation times are used; its wise to consider parts of muhurta for timing your meditations]

Other bigger gaps we can consider called sankranti,or sun's transits; Next one is Makara Sankranti ~ Jan 14th.

"Make friends with the Sky" - Frank Sinatra

Frank In San Diego

love

USA
34 Posts

Posted - Jan 02 2006 :  02:38:24 AM  Show Profile  Visit love's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Frank:

Thanks, I did not know all that, now I know why I always wake up around 4:00-4:30 am. Now instead of tossing around in bed and trying to fall asleep again which never works I will get up and do my practice instead of waiting till 6 AM.

Different subject: You seem like a very knowledgeable person in the Indian tradition. I have a question for you.

What is prana prathista ceremonies? What is the advantage or disadvantage of participating in such ceremonies. My guru who give me saktipath is giving a prana prathista ceremony in India for her guru. I always like to understand things clearly before I participate in them. So do you have any knowledge about such things?

thanks,
love
Go to Top of Page

Frank-in-SanDiego

USA
363 Posts

Posted - Jan 02 2006 :  11:38:18 AM  Show Profile  Visit Frank-in-SanDiego's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hari Om
~~~~~
quote:
Originally posted by love

now I know why I always wake up around 4:00-4:30 am. I will get up and do my practice instead of waiting till 6 AM.

What is prana prathista ceremonies

Hello Love,
re: Brahamamuhurta - a great time of the day - let me know if you experience any Whoosh!!! at that time ( that Prana uplift)

re:prana prathista or life force infusion
This typically is associated with infusing prana (~ life force) into murti's ( images) of the divine that are used in devalaya's ( or temples, places of God; you own puja room if you have one). Curious to note this can also be found in Panchakarma ( 5 actions) treatments for Ayurveda applications on a person.

re: Attending a prana prathista
This depends on the evolution of the acarya and the yagyamana ( lit. the priest and the sacrificers) performing this puja. What needs to be considered is the intent ( sankalpha) and the quality of the time (muhurta)the event is taking place e.g. an auspicious time [Well begun is half done].

What's your role? - attendance is good (sattvic); your contribution is one of consciousness (awareness) being offered as "food" to the various enjoyers (cosmic impulses or devata) of this ceremony. They own the senses and are associated with them as the enjoyers thereof. There is a symbiotic relationship being the human and cosmic forces... as we get clearer in our awareness, say the wise, this relationship becomes more apparent, but i digress.
Last but not least is the wisdom of Sri Krsna - "you have freedom over action alone, never over its fruits" So, attending with an uplifted and fresh state of being is a good approach. That is , being simple, as the fruit of these actions is outside your control.

Hope this helps.

To know the world you forget the SELF, to know the SELF you forget the world”. Sri Nisargadatta Maharaj

Frank In San Diego
Go to Top of Page

Frank-in-SanDiego

USA
363 Posts

Posted - Jan 02 2006 :  9:15:51 PM  Show Profile  Visit Frank-in-SanDiego's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hari Om
~~~~~~~
quote:

Now I can sign up for the ceremony which is going to be the 25th of December 2006...

Hello Love,
you definately are an early planner... Only 350 more days to the Homam.

Shataayu Bhavah...May you live 100 years.

Frank In San Diego
Go to Top of Page

love

USA
34 Posts

Posted - Jan 02 2006 :  9:39:16 PM  Show Profile  Visit love's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Frank:

Thanks, but what is Homan?

Is January the 14th a good time to do spiritual practice the whole day?
Go to Top of Page

love

USA
34 Posts

Posted - Jan 03 2006 :  1:27:17 PM  Show Profile  Visit love's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
re: Brahamamuhurta - a great time of the day - let me know if you experience any Whoosh!!! at that time ( that Prana uplift)

Frank:

I feel that prana uplift. I did my practice at 4:30 this morning and I'm still feeling high.
Go to Top of Page

Frank-in-SanDiego

USA
363 Posts

Posted - Jan 03 2006 :  9:43:18 PM  Show Profile  Visit Frank-in-SanDiego's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hari Om
~~~~~~
quote:

what is Homan? and Woosh for Brahmamuhurta.
Is January the 14th a good time to do spiritual practice the whole day?

Hello love,
A few points...
re: Homam - is called agni-homam or a fire ceremony for giving thanks and gaining influnece with high levels in creation. Its also called Yagja ( said, yaag-yah). this homam is what your guruji will perform for the prana prathista .

re: Brahmamuhurta - glad to hear this time is good for you, and Woosh was experienced; what a great time of the day!

Re: Jan 14th - I will comment on this a bit later as I am traveling and want to look at a pachanga. That said, the 14th at a specific time will be good to meditate..but not all day.

I will also comment on other times we discussed i.e. 'Sandhya' or gaps. The gap on the 14th of January is that of Surya, the sun. ON this day the sun starts its path north and is a significant time each year.
The other gap is that of the moon ( Chandra) which influences the mind - and the gaps during the month is called the 16th part of the lunar month. This happens after a new moon AND BEFORE the first Tithi, and AFTER the full moon period but before the first Tithi. The 16th is the time of this 'Sandhya'. The 16th period is associated with the SELF... great time for meditating, yet not all day. I will explain this tithi, 16th period, etc a bit more in a few days.

Many times people comment that they had a good experience or at times, no experience or even a 'rough' or unsettling experience. Many times it cannot not be explained, and the time of the month or year and what is happening astronomically is discounted. Here we miss out on some significant influences that effects all of us.

More on this will be written on in a few days.
Make friends with the sky - Frank Sinatra

Frank In San Diego
Go to Top of Page

love

USA
34 Posts

Posted - Jan 04 2006 :  01:07:48 AM  Show Profile  Visit love's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Frank:

Thank you. ("Sunset called Mahesha Sandhya")my sunset meditation today was excellent also. I could definitely feel more prana high.

love
Go to Top of Page

Etherfish

USA
3615 Posts

Posted - Jan 07 2006 :  12:22:52 AM  Show Profile  Visit Etherfish's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Wow you guys are way beyond me. If there's any other common folk out there, there's room here for us too. I just do one before work because I noticed I don't get stressed during the day and communicate with people better. Then another one after work to release any residual tension and it makes me feel like I'm entering another beautiful world full of peace for the rest of the evening.
Etherfish
Go to Top of Page

Frank-in-SanDiego

USA
363 Posts

Posted - Jan 07 2006 :  4:27:25 PM  Show Profile  Visit Frank-in-SanDiego's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hari Om
~~~~~~~~
quote:
Originally posted by Etherfish

I just do one before work .... Then another one after work

Hello Etherfish,
Glad to hear of your progress... the discussion(s) above were to add some dimension/knowledge to your practice. It hopefully gives some insights to why your practice ( of meditation) is successful; also why the originators of these techniques chose these times of the day.

There are times in the day that I try and add an additional meditation ( this is during weekends or vacation days) and note they just are not the same as the AM, or PM sessions. The body functioning is different and that is influenced by the time of day and ultimately by the sun, as he owns the day.
Any hoo... just a thought or two.

Peace,

Frank In San Diego
Go to Top of Page

Etherfish

USA
3615 Posts

Posted - Jan 07 2006 :  11:44:03 PM  Show Profile  Visit Etherfish's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
hi Frank,
Oops sorry the tone of my post was not good.
Your information looks very valuable and I intend to try it somedsy.
What I meant was my initial attraction to AYP was it was so easy and
yet so powerful. So I want to make sure people know they can get started
and go far without getting complicated.
Thanks for your patience.
Etherfish
Go to Top of Page

Frank-in-SanDiego

USA
363 Posts

Posted - Jan 08 2006 :  9:41:33 PM  Show Profile  Visit Frank-in-SanDiego's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hari Om
~~~~~~
quote:
Originally posted by Etherfish

Oops sorry the tone of my post was not good.

Hello Etherfish,
no worries...I did not see or feel any of ill-intent. I work at a Fortune 50 firm so the skin is pretty durable to begin with, but appreciate your sensitivities to rhetoric.

As I look to this forum, I see the 'A' in AYP as advanced not only in yogic practices, but in yogic knowledge to compliment your experiences. Please feel free to polk around some of the conversations and ideas we add to the forum. Anything we can do to help one with knowledge and experience advances the sadhu ( the meditator) on the path...all questions are fair game.

Peace,

Frank In San Diego
Go to Top of Page

noche

Colombia
16 Posts

Posted - Feb 13 2006 :  8:42:28 PM  Show Profile  Visit noche's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi all,
Have you heard from the tzolkin? the mayan calendar that is a code that tells the natural dinamics of time. it states that the sun is the higher intelligence, and it vibrates on a daily changing bases...but also states that the center of the galaxy vibrates on a daily changing basis. there is a lot of information there.
How do you think this can be applied to improve maditation? or help in the path?
it seems that we have to cultivate inner silence, and from it a universe arises. the mayas say that hey are galactic travellers, and from their galactic code is extracted the notion that on december of 2012 starts the Solar Era and that the earth enters on a galactic order, we have to finally trascend matter, because it is a barrier to earth evolution from one of its most luxurius products: Homo sapiens.
any thoughts?

in lak´ech
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000