Enlightenment Milestones
 Sushumna Nadi
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

CarsonZi

Canada
3189 Posts

Posted - Dec 03 2009 :  1:51:29 PM  Show Profile  Visit CarsonZi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Namaste Friends....

I have been having an experience for about 3 weeks now and I am just wondering if what I am seeing is the sushumna nadi on the outside of the body.

For about 3 weeks now I have been pretty consistantly seeing a small light wherever I am looking with my eyes. I have often seen this same light with my eyes closed during my practices, but for the past while now I have been seeing it with my eyes open everywhere I look. It is basically a small circle of light with a black center. It isn't too distracting as it is small, but I just want to make sure I don't need to go to an optomitrist to ensure there is not something wrong with my eyes. I have read about seeing the sushumna outside the third eye spot, and this seems to me like that is what this could be, but I am just hoping that someone out there in AYPland who regularly sees the sushumna with eyes open could verify that this is likely what it is. A trip to the optomitrist for no reason is an expense I cannot afford at this time of year, so I would appreciate some input.

Thank you all, and may you have a blessed Christmas season.

Much Love,
Carson

Ananda

3115 Posts

Posted - Dec 03 2009 :  7:52:42 PM  Show Profile  Visit Ananda's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
hi Carson, i kind of see the same circle but within my head with eyes closed and in your case it's different bcz your third eye is more purified and the sushumna seems to has stretched out his purification even more.

i had a friend who used to see a white light surrounding her forehead for a long time but then it just kind of stopped happening plus i read about the same process you're going through here and there more than once and it spoke about the third eye opening but too bad i can't remember where it's been a long time...

but concerning AYP i think Shanti has mentioned smthg about someone seeing the third eye light in front of the forehead maybe she mentioned her mother...

it seems that them asanas are really helping you out in expanding and enhancing your progress, very good job.

take care bro(f)
Go to Top of Page

CarsonZi

Canada
3189 Posts

Posted - Dec 03 2009 :  11:39:35 PM  Show Profile  Visit CarsonZi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hey Brother Ananda

quote:
Originally posted by Ananda

i kind of see the same circle but within my head with eyes closed

That was my experience as well for almost a year....it wasn't constant/consistant but I have been seeing this bright white light with a black centre (with eyes closed) for quite some time now. Only recently have I started to consistantly see this with eyes open as well as closed. I have an inclination towards it being no big deal, I was just hoping I could figure out if I needed to go to the eye doc to make sure that I wasn't having some eye problems or something.

quote:

i had a friend who used to see a white light surrounding her forehead for a long time but then it just kind of stopped happening plus i read about the same process you're going through here and there more than once and it spoke about the third eye opening but too bad i can't remember where it's been a long time...

I don't really see a white light surrounding my forehead....I am basically just seeing a little white light with a black centre overlaying whatever I am looking at (and it is small so it isn't blocking my view of anything)....at first it was kinda distracting, but I've come to realize that the distraction was all just my mind trying to figure out what this was and if I needed to see a doctor or not. I have kinda relaxed on trying to understand it, and since then it has not been as distracting....but it is still there.

quote:

but concerning AYP i think Shanti has mentioned smthg about someone seeing the third eye light in front of the forehead maybe she mentioned her mother...

I tried to do a search so that I didn't have to start yet another thread, but I couldn't find the right search words I guess.....I either got a hundred pages worth of stuff, or nothing at all

quote:

it seems that them asanas are really helping you out in expanding and enhancing your progress, very good job.

Yes, the asana practice has increased quite a bit here, but I don't think that this experience (nor my recent shift in awareness) is directly related to my asana practice. I'd say that is more of an effect then a cause. Recently I had a "Shaktipat Dream" (see my recent thread of the same title) that coincided with the dropping of some rather deep seated "issues". Up until about 2 days before the dream I had still been deeply in love with marijuana....not using it, not abusing it, just deeply attached to it. I really really missed smoking it and it was causing me to suffer, and crave it all the time. But while on my "asana vacation" I "lost" (and I say it like that because it was truly lost due to no effort of my own, just pure Grace) my attachment to marijuana. I also lost the desire to masturbate which was something I quite enjoyed. Also at the same time as this my life took a drastic turn towards a more "simple" and "wholesome" lifestyle.....I came home, canceled cable television, through away all my drug paraphenalia, stopped enjoying beer as much as I used to (I still enjoy a drink about once a week or so, but I can't have more then one before I lose all interest in it) stopped eating red meat again, started choosing to walk instead of drive (as much as is possible), and a few other minor changes that have made my life much more wholesome and "alive". Honestly I credit this all to my wife and I conceiving and to the soul that is now abiding in her womb. I'm not saying that folks out there reading this should go knock someone up so they can further themselves on their spiritual path, but that is what has happened for me. I credit Grace for conceiving, and I credit Grace (and the soul created by Grace) for the recent "progress" here. All of this was due to no effort of mine. And yeah, this recent "shift" has caused a severe increase in bhakti resulting in a pretty serious sadhana, not that it wasn't before, it was, it's just that my sadhana has taken on a new '"tone".....it isn't being done BY me, FOR me.....it is being done out of pure gratitude now.....and that to me is beautiful and bhakti inspiring.....which creates more bhakti, which creates more bhakti, which creates more bhakti, and on and on and on. I truly take no credit here......this is all due to the Grace of existence......and the least I can do is be diligent in my practices and fulfill that which I was put here on Earth to fulfill....my/your/our destiny........Wholeness.

quote:

take care bro(f)

You as well my friend.....may Grace descend upon you and all those around you.

Love Always,
Carson
Go to Top of Page

Ananda

3115 Posts

Posted - Dec 04 2009 :  03:02:03 AM  Show Profile  Visit Ananda's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
wow that is truly a very beautiful post, you touched my heart Carson that's very joyful news i am really happy for you and your wife congratulations and God bless you and all your loved ones i will bring you all 3 including the divine little one into my samyama.

concerning the white light in front of the forehead i was sharing the experience of my friend and the other stuff which i read included seeing a little white ball of light in front of the forehead so it's very similar to your own experience but just to play it safe i think it's best to go see a doctor.

i hope Yogani would comment on this post, his opinion which is based on experience of course would be a great asset to this post.

and Tibetan ice as well has a lot of experience with this matter hope he could chime in.

namaste brother and i wish you all the best and Merry Christmas to you and your loved ones
Go to Top of Page

yogani

USA
5201 Posts

Posted - Dec 04 2009 :  11:34:48 AM  Show Profile  Visit yogani's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Carson:

Though it sounds like a spiritual purification experience, no one here (including me) can guarantee that it is not a vision health issue.

Many practitioners have had these kinds of experiences with no health issue involved, but you never know until you check with the doctor. Your call.

All the best on your ever-evolving path. A joy to see here.

The guru is in you.

Go to Top of Page

CarsonZi

Canada
3189 Posts

Posted - Dec 04 2009 :  11:35:43 AM  Show Profile  Visit CarsonZi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Ananda, Yogani....

I think I will follow your advice and go see the Eye Dr soon. Just to be sure. Thanks for the advice.

Much Love,
Carson

Edited by - CarsonZi on Dec 04 2009 11:38:40 AM
Go to Top of Page

Parallax

USA
348 Posts

Posted - Dec 04 2009 :  4:56:27 PM  Show Profile  Visit Parallax's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Beautiful post Carson...inspiring...

Go to Top of Page

Tibetan_Ice

Canada
758 Posts

Posted - Dec 04 2009 :  9:31:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by CarsonZi
For about 3 weeks now I have been pretty consistantly seeing a small light wherever I am looking with my eyes. I have often seen this same light with my eyes closed during my practices, but for the past while now I have been seeing it with my eyes open everywhere I look. It is basically a small circle of light with a black center.

Hi Carson,
I agree with Yogani. An eye examination would be a good thing to do.
You can do this experiment for yourself.
1) when you close your eyes and see the light, if you move both eyes to the right but don't move your head, does the light move too?
2) If you cross your eyes, do you see two lights or one?
3) If you cross your eyes, do you see the light/black only in one eye?
If the light/black center moves along with your eyes, then you may be experiencing any number of medical conditions related to the cones and rods on the back of the eye.
4) If the light/black center stays fixed in relation to the mind's eye and is not affected by eye movement at all, then I would say that it is a long term mystical vision that is taking a while to manifest.

First precautions:
Quit doing headstands/inverted postures and anything that increases the blood pressure to the head such as breath retention with locks, yoni mudra kumbhaka etc.. for now until you can get it checked out. If you have a blood clot, some form of macular degeneration or separation, you might aggrevate it and make it worse. Better be safe than sorry.
If you need some financial help for the exam, let me know..

:)
TI

Go to Top of Page

Kirtanman

USA
1651 Posts

Posted - Dec 04 2009 :  11:42:44 PM  Show Profile  Visit Kirtanman's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:

Namaste Friends....

I have been having an experience for about 3 weeks now and I am just wondering if what I am seeing is the sushumna nadi on the outside of the body.

For about 3 weeks now I have been pretty consistantly seeing a small light wherever I am looking with my eyes. I have often seen this same light with my eyes closed during my practices, but for the past while now I have been seeing it with my eyes open everywhere I look. It is basically a small circle of light with a black center. It isn't too distracting as it is small, but I just want to make sure I don't need to go to an optomitrist to ensure there is not something wrong with my eyes. I have read about seeing the sushumna outside the third eye spot, and this seems to me like that is what this could be, but I am just hoping that someone out there in AYPland who regularly sees the sushumna with eyes open could verify that this is likely what it is. A trip to the optomitrist for no reason is an expense I cannot afford at this time of year, so I would appreciate some input.

Thank you all, and may you have a blessed Christmas season.

Much Love,
Carson

Hey Carson,

I had this near the end of 2006/early 2007 ... I recall the time-frame because that was close to the time I moved from California.

I had seen the same circle/light in meditation intermittently, then more steadily ... then it started happening with eyes open, in broad daylight ... in meetings with my boss at the time, walking down the hallway at work, etc.

It lasted for a few weeks, then got kind of intermittent .... and then I sort of lost track (of exactly what it did or didn't do).

And so, just FYI ... and obviously: go with your intuition, regarding anything "eye-wise", if intuition so indicates ... however, this sounds identical to what I went through, just about three years ago, exactly.

I hope this helps.

Welcome back!!

Wholeheartedly,

Kirtanman

Go to Top of Page

CarsonZi

Canada
3189 Posts

Posted - Dec 05 2009 :  02:12:14 AM  Show Profile  Visit CarsonZi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi TI......

quote:
Originally posted by Tibetan_Ice

I agree with Yogani. An eye examination would be a good thing to do.

Plan on it.

quote:

You can do this experiment for yourself.
1) when you close your eyes and see the light, if you move both eyes to the right but don't move your head, does the light move too?

No.

quote:

2) If you cross your eyes, do you see two lights or one?

Just one.

quote:

3) If you cross your eyes, do you see the light/black only in one eye?

No, it stays the same as when my eyes are not crossed

quote:

If the light/black center moves along with your eyes, then you may be experiencing any number of medical conditions related to the cones and rods on the back of the eye.

Perhaps.....but my eyesight seems to be perfect otherwise.

quote:

4) If the light/black center stays fixed in relation to the mind's eye and is not affected by eye movement at all, then I would say that it is a long term mystical vision that is taking a while to manifest.

Thanks for the opinion! What seems to be happening is everywhere I look, there is a small white circle of light with a black center directly in the centre of my vision. Perhaps an indication of an eye disorder perhaps not....if it does indicate a problem I would be extremely surprised as I have perfect vision and have no other issues at all. And this is pretty recent, and is the same light I have been seeing in meditation for some time now with eyes closed....But like I said before, I will head to the optomitrist sometime later this month (hopefully) to have it checked out for sure.

quote:

First precautions:
Quit doing headstands/inverted postures and anything that increases the blood pressure to the head such as breath retention with locks, yoni mudra kumbhaka etc.. for now until you can get it checked out.

Am not really doing much for inverted postures and am not doing any kumbhakas at all. I occasionally have salamba sarvangasana (supported headstand) happen here, but I am not forcing anything....my posture routine is not set, and I just allow what happens to happen. I am not very concerned at all....there are no other symptoms.

quote:

If you have a blood clot, some form of macular degeneration or separation, you might aggrevate it and make it worse. Better be safe than sorry.

Thanks for the concern....it is appreciated it really is. I have no macular degeneration going on though....my eyesight is better then anyone I know. I can read stuff at a distance that others can not even see. But I will still have this checked out as soon as I can.

quote:

If you need some financial help for the exam, let me know..

Very generous of you. I should be able to manage it with my benefits at work....thank you for you kind offer though.

Much Love,
Carson

Edited by - CarsonZi on Dec 05 2009 02:14:32 AM
Go to Top of Page

CarsonZi

Canada
3189 Posts

Posted - Dec 05 2009 :  02:20:36 AM  Show Profile  Visit CarsonZi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hey Kirtanman.....

quote:
Originally posted by Kirtanman

I had this near the end of 2006/early 2007 ... I recall the time-frame because that was close to the time I moved from California.

I had seen the same circle/light in meditation intermittently, then more steadily ... then it started happening with eyes open, in broad daylight ... in meetings with my boss at the time, walking down the hallway at work, etc.

It lasted for a few weeks, then got kind of intermittent .... and then I sort of lost track (of exactly what it did or didn't do).

And so, just FYI ... and obviously: go with your intuition, regarding anything "eye-wise", if intuition so indicates ... however, this sounds identical to what I went through, just about three years ago, exactly.

I hope this helps.

Welcome back!!

Wholeheartedly,

Kirtanman

Thank you for sharing! It is comforting to hear that someone else has experienced something similar and that it was just a passing phenomenon.....It may take me a little while to get in to see an eye doctor, so hopefully by the time I can get in it will have passed and will no longer be an issue. I haven't been really concerned with it to be honest with you, as I have intuitionally felt it to be the sushumna nadi on the outside of the forehead, but I will still make an appointment to go see the doctor as soon as I can (I don't have one so I will have to find one that is accepting new patients and is willing to charge my benefits card up front so it doesn't cost me any cash and make it so that I can't buy someone a Christmas gift this year ......) Again thanks for sharing and thanks for the welcome back.

Love Always,
Carson

Edited by - CarsonZi on Dec 05 2009 02:26:29 AM
Go to Top of Page

Tibetan_Ice

Canada
758 Posts

Posted - Dec 05 2009 :  9:32:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Carson :)

quote:

quote:

Thanks for the opinion! What seems to be happening is everywhere I look, there is a small white circle of light with a black center directly in the centre of my vision. Perhaps an indication of an eye disorder perhaps not....if it does indicate a problem I would be extremely surprised as I have perfect vision and have no other issues at all. And this is pretty recent, and is the same light I have been seeing in meditation for some time now with eyes closed....But like I said before, I will head to the optomitrist sometime later this month (hopefully) to have it checked out for sure.

From what you've described, barring some optical nerve condition, and assuming that this is a third-eye/mind's eye vision, then, I know what it is. If it doesn't move, is persistent and has light around it but a black centre, then I believe this is an opening to the Void. That is the only thing I can recall that has a black center(apart from the third eye, but that looks like a dark purple/black flame with a touch of red at the bottom) and it is very local and has a specific location about 1 inch behind the brows inside the head.

1) This is a very good thing. A persistent vision is an indication that a clearing or opening is occuring on a deep level. And it is being very gentle with you, giving you time to become familiar with it and adjust to it.

2) An opening to the Void is presenting itself to you. As you progress, it should come closer and closer and more pronounced. But why wait? I would meditate on it and shift your focus of attention onto the edge of the black and take a look out. A good way to shift your attention is to increase the level of your vibrations in your hearing and look with your ears. You should see an infinite expanse of very black silent space. The Void is an interesting place but I'm not entirely sure what to do with it. One time I tried to jump into it but I was bounced back out by this colored film like plastic wrap. Another time these huge hands appeared, made a tunnel which I then went flying into, but the tunnel was so long that eventually I just gave up. Others on this forum have written about the Void.

When I first saw the Void's opening, I thought it looked like a black leech slowly crawling into a straw of light pink/whitish light..

If you go exploring, I'd love to hear about your experiences. Also, the other thing I'd mention is that the light/black may well be at the back of you head and you're seeing it as a reflection from the third eye.

The other thing (yet another one, yes,,) is that from several sources it is said that the sushumna actually extends far above the head and serves as a guru radar or antena for the higher planes, the pineal being the main junction between the upper and lower sushumna. It is only through effort that we can bend it to be pointing in the same direction of the third eye vector. But that's probably another discussion. However, ida and pingala do intersect at the third eye but also come down to the tip of the nostrils in a curve like a cobra standing with it's head poised in a curve.

:)
TI

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000