Books, Web Sites, Audio, Video, etc.
 VIDEO: Ganesha Kirtan Chant
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Kirtanman

USA
1651 Posts

Posted - Dec 02 2009 :  6:57:52 PM  Show Profile  Visit Kirtanman's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message

A chant to Lord Ganesha, Remover Of Obstacles, by David Newman / Durga Das (per the comment from YouTube User LIVEenlightenment ... aka *me* .... David is awesome on every level; enjoy!)

VIDEO: Jai Ganesha

Wholeheartedly,

Kirtanman

miguel

Spain
1197 Posts

Posted - Dec 03 2009 :  02:52:57 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
beautiful! thank you k.!
Go to Top of Page

stevenbhow

Japan
352 Posts

Posted - Dec 03 2009 :  08:02:15 AM  Show Profile  Visit stevenbhow's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
This one made it on to my Ipod. Listen to it all the time. Thanks for posting it again.
Go to Top of Page

sagebrush

USA
292 Posts

Posted - Dec 03 2009 :  08:18:18 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
This is going to seem abrasive but I just want to say something.
Without having speakers to hear the video...it looks like a peaceful song..I however always seemt o have to take this approach...while everyone is head swaying to durga das...and you saying he is the Real deal...

what about my overwieight neighbor that sings with the Sweeet Adelines...isn'[t she the Real deal too?

No doubt that meditation would be beneficial to all who practise.

I think that I just get this really weird psychological obstacle to the trends of the Real Deal or not. My mother thinks Joyce meyer is the real deal. life is weird.

Don't get me wrong-I love music and appreciate the post--it makes me want to buy speakers NOW because I have not had sound coming thru this computer for quite some time.

I should try to be more like miguel today.

Go to Top of Page

Katrine

Norway
1813 Posts

Posted - Dec 04 2009 :  05:35:45 AM  Show Profile  Visit Katrine's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Sage

Yes. The real deal is everywhere
Our hearts are naturally inclined towards truth.....so anywhere we contact joy and beauty in ourselves...this is it.

I never heard Bhajans until i met Amma in Dublin last year. Her Bhajan singers were absolutely stunning. Their devotional hearts very obvious in their voices...

So...ever since then....something has evolved from it inside. I always loved singing...it is just that there has been a deepening of the joy...of the inspiration. Songs (voice) and melodies (the flute) keep coming...and the joy of expressing through music is very deep here now. It is so different from what used to be "performed music on stage".....

Anyway...just wanted to say that what touches you...anything that inspires the beauty in you...... is all good

When you are inspired....you too express in the way that is the souls outflow ......and by that others are touched.

I was touched by your post....so thank you
Go to Top of Page

Katrine

Norway
1813 Posts

Posted - Dec 04 2009 :  05:46:50 AM  Show Profile  Visit Katrine's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Kirtanman

Thank you for the video

You know....for many months now there has been a pull towards becoming aquainted with Kirtan. I have never done it...and never attended a Kirtan concert....but have felt the pull....and waited for that unfolding.

I just returned from 3 days of Satsangs and one-to-ones in Tramore (Waterford)...and while I was there my host mentioned that there would be a Kirtan concert in Dublin last night. Last night I needed space and silence after the work, but it turns out the same guys were doing the same thing in Limerick tonight and also playing music to a yoga session tomorrow morning there....

So....I am going to Limerick with a friend later today...to attend both venues. It will be my first encounter with Kirtan and so...am really looking forward to it.

I have no idea who these guys are...but googled them, and they seem quite well know. They don't usually work together, so this is a one-off thing.

Anyway...just thought I'd ask you.....who literally embody Kirtan ....have you heard them before?

Their names are: Dave Stringer and Jack Harrison

Go to Top of Page

manigma

India
1065 Posts

Posted - Dec 07 2009 :  10:10:19 AM  Show Profile  Visit manigma's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Here are two of my favorites:

1. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cc-L2s4JGa8

2. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sEte1WfP5yI

In the second video when at 3:30 the 'Swastika' sign appears, I don't know why but my 2 year old son always points his finger to it and then to me and starts yelling its Papa, its Papa, its papa, its papa!

Its been a few months now. He keeps silent all through the mantra but just when the sign appears he starts telling me that its you.

We have no Swastika sign anywhere in our home or in any books around.

I am unable to solve this puzzle yet.
Go to Top of Page

YogaIsLife

641 Posts

Posted - Dec 07 2009 :  10:43:06 AM  Show Profile  Visit YogaIsLife's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
In the second video when at 3:30 the 'Swastika' sign appears, I don't know why but my 2 year old son always points his finger to it and then to me and starts yelling its Papa, its Papa, its papa, its papa!

Its been a few months now. He keeps silent all through the mantra but just when the sign appears he starts telling me that its you.

We have no Swastika sign anywhere in our home or in any books around.

I am unable to solve this puzzle yet.

Hi manigma,

:)

This is a cool one.

A little while ago I went to see a clairvoyant/energy healer. A very young girl, with a remarkable gift (the first time I ever tried any such thing). As she was seeing my aura/energy field she kept on telling me what she saw. In one of the layers of the aura she said she could see a lot of mandalas, diagrams and symbols around me. Like I was "carrying them around". Could this be what your child sees in you? You know that children can see this things much better than us adults that forgot how to "look"!

Anyway, here is an idea!

All the best!
Go to Top of Page

manigma

India
1065 Posts

Posted - Dec 07 2009 :  12:08:40 PM  Show Profile  Visit manigma's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I don't know... maybe you are right.

But he is too mischievous to be believed that he can see auras. haha

His name is Aurayan btw.

I always wanted my child to be named Aurayan if it was a boy or Nauranya if a girl.
Go to Top of Page

Kirtanman

USA
1651 Posts

Posted - Dec 07 2009 :  1:04:18 PM  Show Profile  Visit Kirtanman's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Katrine,

I *just* saw this post; sorry I missed it!!

I know Dave .... I've done quite a few kirtans with him; he's one of my favorites kirtan artists musically ... as well as to do live kirtan with!

VIDEO: Dave Stringer - Shivo'ham

How was it?

Wholeheartedly,

Kirtanman

Edited by - Kirtanman on Dec 07 2009 1:08:03 PM
Go to Top of Page

emc

2072 Posts

Posted - Dec 07 2009 :  3:42:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
manigma, thank you for that second video - it's beautiful! What is the lyrics about?
Go to Top of Page

Kirtanman

USA
1651 Posts

Posted - Dec 07 2009 :  9:47:53 PM  Show Profile  Visit Kirtanman's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by emc

manigma, thank you for that second video - it's beautiful! What is the lyrics about?

Hi emc,

They're Sanskrit, as you may know ... a combination of several traditional Ganesha mantras:

Aum shrim hrim klim glaum
gam ganapataye
vara varada
sarva janamme
vashamanaya svaha

There are several bija (seed) mantras in this mantra . Among other things, it signals, "Shower Your blessings, O Lord. I offer my ego as an oblation."

tatpurushaya vidmahe
vakratundaya dhimahi
tanno dantih prachodayat

We devote our thought to that supreme person.
We meditate upon Him who has a curved trunk.
May the tusked One guide us on the right path.

Aum ekadantaya vidmahe
vakratundaya dhimahi
tanno dantih prachodayat

We devote our thought to the one-tusked Lord.
(duality has been broken; one-pointed ~KM).
We meditate upon Him who has a curved trunk.
May the tusked One guide us on the right path.

AUM Shanti Shanti Shantih

Aum Peace Peace Peace

Source: Himalayan Academy.

Wholeheartedly,

Kirtanman

Edited by - Kirtanman on Dec 07 2009 9:48:24 PM
Go to Top of Page

manigma

India
1065 Posts

Posted - Dec 08 2009 :  02:06:58 AM  Show Profile  Visit manigma's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by emc

I don't know Sanskrit but the first time I heard this (on radio) I fell on the floor and began crying. Just like Kirtanman said 'O Lord. I offer my ego as an oblation' I guess my soul was doing just this.

I felt like dying and after reading Kirtanman's explanation I think it was the ego dying/dissolving.

The begining was lethal with the Om Shrim Hrim Klim Klowm.... each word was hitting me like an arrow. REALLY!!

Om Shrim Hrim Klim Klowm... swoosh... swoosh... swoosh... swoosh...!!!

I was down on the floor crying helplessly.

And the end... Om Shantih Shantih Shantih....

I was almost like "goodbye world!"

Must be purification. Loved it
Go to Top of Page

Christi

United Kingdom
4429 Posts

Posted - Dec 08 2009 :  04:27:16 AM  Show Profile  Visit Christi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Manigma,

Om Sreem Hreem Kleem Klowm are very powerful mantras as Kirtanman mentioned. I have been working with them on and off for a couple of years now. If you are sensitive to mantras then they can have a very strong purifying effect on the subtle body even when simply listening to them being chanted.

So be careful, and remember to self-pace!

Christi
Go to Top of Page

manigma

India
1065 Posts

Posted - Dec 08 2009 :  07:07:27 AM  Show Profile  Visit manigma's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I guess I should wear a mantra-proof vest or something. haha

But as Yogani ji has said: In yoga, the hero is the one who is able to let go of acts of desperation in practices and allow the natural process of purification and opening to occur with the least amount of disruption. - Eight Limbs of Yoga

I believe when the body and the subtle body are in sync, self-pacing becomes natural too. I am a bullet proof monk now.
Go to Top of Page

Katrine

Norway
1813 Posts

Posted - Dec 08 2009 :  12:00:19 PM  Show Profile  Visit Katrine's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Kirtanman

quote:
Hi Katrine,

I *just* saw this post; sorry I missed it!!

I know Dave .... I've done quite a few kirtans with him; he's one of my favorites kirtan artists musically ... as well as to do live kirtan with!

VIDEO: Dave Stringer - Shivo'ham

How was it?

Wholeheartedly,

Kirtanman

It was....awsome....
We drove up there in heavy rain.....it took longer than expected so arrived 40 min late. But they were late too....and so walked in there while they were playing the introduction....This was in a little Yoga room........we were ca 20 people...so sat only 1,5 meter away from the harmonium and Dave. The mantras were displayed on the wall behind him....and simply looking at them had me in bliss....Not the English letters....but the sanskrit writing....it is the first time I have seen it...and you know that loooong line on top of every word? Well....just looking at the graphics of it had me in a swirl.....

So...the 2,5 hours of singing seemed only to last 10 minutes....and voice and heart was rejoycing the whole time. Between the songs.....there was 1 minute of silence. Wished it to be much longer....it is very very potent.....after sounds like that.....

So...it was a great inspiration....Particularly since there is unfoldings taking place musically here right now.....it is very powerful...to play spontaneously from silence.....deep.....heart is expanding....and everything is see-through....

Self-pacing is always a theme...so am careful. My daughters are here with me now for 10 days....so plenty of grounding
Go to Top of Page

emc

2072 Posts

Posted - Dec 08 2009 :  1:26:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks a lot, Kirtanman and manigma and Christi. Aum shrim hrim klim glaum was the words that caught me the strongest as well! Wonderful experience, manigma! =)

Katrine, wonderful to hear about your experience with kirtan! I used to sing bahjans a few times with my ki-aikido teacher when he had meetings, and I always dropped into something I hardly got out from...
Go to Top of Page

Katrine

Norway
1813 Posts

Posted - Dec 08 2009 :  1:53:04 PM  Show Profile  Visit Katrine's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Go to Top of Page

Kirtanman

USA
1651 Posts

Posted - Dec 08 2009 :  8:53:54 PM  Show Profile  Visit Kirtanman's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply

Hi All,

Just FYI, per a couple of the recent posts, the mantras in the video are:

gam ganapataye, etc.

... not klowm, or klaum.

Source: Ganesha Mantra Overview.

As you may know, bija mantras are carefully constructed to utilize specific sounds, for specific purpose ... and, if nothing else, the full power of a given mantra won't be experienced, if an incorrect sound is put in.

There is a mantra "Aum shrim hrim klim klaum" ... but it appears to be associated with Dattatreya, rather than Ganesha.

Aum shrim hrim klim klaum *is* listed, incorrectly, it appears, two or three places online, in connection with the Ganesha mantra we're discussing ... but it appears to be an error that someone ran with, a couple of times over .... the sources which list glaum as the correct bija after klim, include many sites and resources dedicated to Ganesha mantras ... and the Google results run on for pages.

All the authoritative sources on Ganesha mantras, and bija mantras in general, are clear that the mantra is

gam ganapataye .... etc.

... in the case of this particular Ganesha mantra.

I hope this is helpful.

Wholeheartedly,

Kirtanman

Go to Top of Page

Kirtanman

USA
1651 Posts

Posted - Dec 08 2009 :  11:22:17 PM  Show Profile  Visit Kirtanman's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply

Some interesting background on the symbolism of Ganesha.

"Ganesa simply means "Self-realization is but the removal of obstacles to the recognition of the eternal, immanent, inner self, here and now."

Wholeheartedly,

Kirtanman

Go to Top of Page

manigma

India
1065 Posts

Posted - Dec 09 2009 :  02:32:23 AM  Show Profile  Visit manigma's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Glaum or Klowm, I guess more important is OM in the beginning and end (om ...im ...im ...im ...om - the rhythm) + the feeling/power/energy behind each word provided by its speaker + the intensity and also the music. Not to mention state/level of the listener.

Here is another of my favourites that did purification on me earlier:

http://www.balbro.com/OmNamo.mp3

Its a sample file composed by Bhakta of mymastermusic.com (site offline) and sung by Tibetan Monk Phende as told to me by Bhakta. I have the full version but its copyrighted.

Also http://www.balbro.com/yes.mp3 another sample very good to listen.

Very informative link about Hindu deities. The best way to understand what they depict is to reach at their level yourself.

I went to the Pashupatinath temple in Kathmandu few years ago. The statue of Trimurti in the main temple has tremendous energy. It was hard to remove my gaze from it, the priests had to shake me up as there was a long queue behind me. Too bad only Hindus are allowed inside the main temple and to worship even more restrictions. Sometimes the statues/pictures work the same way as mantras

Edited by - manigma on Dec 09 2009 06:28:42 AM
Go to Top of Page

Kirtanman

USA
1651 Posts

Posted - Dec 09 2009 :  10:51:05 PM  Show Profile  Visit Kirtanman's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by manigma

Glaum or Klowm, I guess more important is OM in the beginning and end (om ...im ...im ...im ...om - the rhythm) + the feeling/power/energy behind each word provided by its speaker + the intensity and also the music. Not to mention state/level of the listener.

I went to the Pashupatinath temple in Kathmandu few years ago. The statue of Trimurti in the main temple has tremendous energy. It was hard to remove my gaze from it, the priests had to shake me up as there was a long queue behind me. Too bad only Hindus are allowed inside the main temple and to worship even more restrictions. Sometimes the statues/pictures work the same way as mantras

Hi Manigma,

I was in a bit of a rush when I posted the "glaum" correction ... and missed the beauty and depth of your related post (falling on the ground, crying).

I had some experiences like that, a while back; very powerful and cathartic, for sure.

Regarding the murtis and mantras: there's a very clear energy dynamic related to places where people have been worshipping for hundreds or thousands of years, for sure.

That's one of the reasons I posted the mantra correction:

I'm not attached to it .... I was just reporting it, is all.

It's been my experience that the original developers of the mantras (not to mention the Sanskrit language itself) knew what they were doing, in terms of connecting certain sounds with certain parts of the physical body, etc.

Ultimately, it's the consciousness/openness of the listener/chanter which matters most; the power of mantra *is* the consciousness that is Self.

"Cittam Mantrah" - Mind {Consciousness} is mantra.
(Shiva Sutras, 2.1)

I spent some time chanting along with the mantras we're discussing; the bijas are very powerful; and there is a slight energetic difference in chanting glaum compared to klaum ... though the power of both may feel different when just heard, rather than chanted.

Ganesha is all about the root chakra .... hence "Mula Mantra" .... Muladhara.

The root chakra is associated with Earth, ground ... hence the G sounds .... glaum gam ganapataye.

Klaum is associated (for whatever reason) with higher chakras .... K and Kl primarly with the heart (Krim in the Kali bija for the heart; dissolution into the heart) ... and AUM with Ajna, third-eye.

And so, none of that is necessarily good/bad.

On the one hand, bhakti and receptivity count for everything .... being "slain" as you were, by the mantras, counts for a lot more than "Sanskritical correctness", for sure.

On the other hand, the Ganesha mantras are specifically designed to open and clarify energies at the root chakra ... which are less basic than people sometimes realize ... there are initial openings, but then there are further openings as well .... and ultimately: all chakras and energies are about what's going on in consciousness, as opposed to a location in the physical body .... but the full power of the mantras tends to be realized when chanting the designated mantras ..... but, again: more important when chanting than just listening, I would say.

I hope this is helpful .... and thanks for sharing your experience; beautiful!

Wholeheartedly,

Kirtanman

PS- And thanks for sharing those Ganesha videos; that second one is *really* powerful!

Go to Top of Page

emc

2072 Posts

Posted - Feb 07 2010 :  05:00:19 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
manigma, Thanks a million for showing those videos. I got so inspired I ordered the whole CD.

It took a few weeks, and I thought it had got lost in the mail, but then it arrived to the post, but the sender was a sport delivery firm in a city nearby (?!) so I didn't know it was the CD. Thought it must be a wrong delivery. I didn't go pick it out immediately. Then I got 4-5 texts in my cell phone urging me to come and get the package, and then a woman called me 3-4 times to remind me I have to go get the package... I finally did, and it was very neatly packed, handwritten address, directly from India, packed in newspaper wrapping...

Since then I'm a junkie! =) I drug this CD!!! All chants are amazingly happy and Joy inducing! (And no overload... yet... )

(Ouch Christi, don't hit me on the head, I knoooow... self-pace!)

Kirtanman, interesting indeed! Listening to the CD has probably helped the goings here... There has been a very prominent shift where the energies are no longer rushing upwards, flying out through the crown causing turmoil and uncontrolled crownopenings. The stream has turned 180 and is now downwards - the root chakra opening, opening and I'm giving all energy back to Earth. Just giving it away. It feels very stabilizing. If I feel stuck in the head, I just open the throat chakra a bit more and the stream starts downwards, opening all the way and the root chakra blooms open... It's very beautiful, and... grounded?!?... perhaps? Don't know... No overload, though.

Edited by - emc on Feb 07 2010 05:09:19 AM
Go to Top of Page

manigma

India
1065 Posts

Posted - Feb 12 2010 :  01:56:55 AM  Show Profile  Visit manigma's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by emc
All chants are amazingly happy and Joy inducing!

OM!
Shanti, Shanti, Shanti....
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000