Kundalini - AYP Practice-Related
 What the heck is going on
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

BellaMente

USA
147 Posts

Posted - Nov 10 2009 :  1:59:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
I am not scared of it or worried about it... I actually enjoy it and look forward to it happening more often... I just want to know what it is....

Since I started AYP, there have been several times when I had what seemed like extra energy/extra alertness and I would go to sleep only to awake not long after to feel a vibration all over me that would make me paralyzed, completely unable to move. The first time it happened it freaked me out and I found out it was sleep paralysis, blah blah blah, whoop whoop whoop, ya... But the next night it happened, not only would I feel a strong vibration totally engulf me and paralyze me but I would start to slip into a strange state of consciousness that is very hard to describe, like a merging with something, I don't know, since I was half awake and very tired it was hard to analyze. I realized that I could stop the paralysis if I don't let the vibration consume me, by moving some muscle in the body, but being tired, I would just let go of the fear, give in to the vibration, and enjoy the effects. This strange state of consciousness with the vibration causing paralysis happened a total of 8 times just that night. The next time it happened, I was very anxious that night for some reason and when I woke up to the vibration consuming me, I was again very scared, I screamed for my fiance's name (mentally since I could not speak) and then - it seemed that somehow he 'appeared' and then somehow my consciousness 'merged' with his or something weird like that, like I said I don't know how to describe this state of consciousness. When I snapped myself back in my body, I woke him up and asked if he was dreaming or what was going on and he said he didn't remember anything strange like that happening and he was actually dreaming about fixing his car before I woke him up by 'hitting him in the mouth and gasping for air'.

Now, the last time it happened was the strangest. I again was full of energy and had some anxiety, trying to go to sleep. I fell asleep for a couple seconds, woke up, fell asleep a couple seconds woke up, you know, the usual... Then during one of the times I fell asleep, which couldn't have been too long, I woke up, tired, switched position to lay on my side, and I started to feel the same vibration coming from the 'bottom' part of my body start to move upwards.. then BAM- I was totally overtaken by the vibration, too late no turning back, can't move a muscle. I am engulfed with fear and as I lay there letting the vibration consume me I realize it is getting stronger. It gets stronger and stronger and stronger and then I hear this sound, a very soft sound, it seems to be in my left ear, and as it grows louder I realize it is the one sound I always read others here describe, the sound I always wondered about, the sound I never heard before- the so called fundamental vibration of the universe- the primeval OMMMMMMMM. And the sound gets louder and louder until it is so loud it hurts- I feel as if my ear drum is going to burst and I will be deaf forever- And then it hits a maximum intensity and it starts to settle. As the sound climaxes, I am by now totally and completely terrified, in a mild state of panic, and I scream out (mentally) the name of Jesus Christ- As soon as I scream out his name I am flooded with what I would call divine bliss (I have never experienced it before and this is the closest thing I can think of to describe it) my fear melts away and I am now in the same old familiar superconscious state of awareness I have experienced before many times, full of ecstasy in this strange union. I don't know how long it lasts for, but at one point I realize that if I continue this any longer, then I might go beyond the point of no return or have a heavy duty overload - so I gather all my will power and force myself back to with a jerk of the leg and then bam it's all over- I am back. I sit up, amazed, and then lay back down next to my partner and fall asleep, not to wake up again till morning......

So I am kind of confused because I am under the impression this stuff happens when people have a kundalini awakening or when they have a crown opening or something like that. I never read about weird superconscious states during sleep paralysis either... And I do not think I have had a kundalini awakening yet and I do not have any symptoms of a crown opening... So what the heck is going on???

Christi

United Kingdom
4429 Posts

Posted - Nov 10 2009 :  2:35:11 PM  Show Profile  Visit Christi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Bellamente,

The sleep paralysis is normal and nothing to worry about. It is a side effect of meditation, and usually happens if you are overdoing practices, or if you do not get enough active time between meditation and sleep. The merging sensation with your husband is... merging. It is also part of the scenery and is nothing to worry about. The vibration is prana moving through your body, and the Om sound is the sound the prana makes as it purifies the nadis.

If you are concerned about what is happening you could reduce your practice times and try and get in more active time before bed. If you are not worried about it then... carry on.

Good things are happening, as Yogani would say.

Christi
Go to Top of Page

BellaMente

USA
147 Posts

Posted - Nov 10 2009 :  2:49:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Well I am not concerned about it... I was just wondering what it was...

And the merging consciousness thing with him was just once, the other times were just weird superconscious states- and then the last one when I called on Jesus Christ was even more of an intense union-like state...

So these superconscious states or whatever are just usual situations in sleep paralysis? Well that sounds boring, I was hoping it was something more exciting lol
Go to Top of Page

Tibetan_Ice

Canada
758 Posts

Posted - Nov 10 2009 :  7:00:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by BellaMente

Well I am not concerned about it... I was just wondering what it was...

And the merging consciousness thing with him was just once, the other times were just weird superconscious states- and then the last one when I called on Jesus Christ was even more of an intense union-like state...

So these superconscious states or whatever are just usual situations in sleep paralysis? Well that sounds boring, I was hoping it was something more exciting lol

Hi BellaMente,
What you are experiencing is called astral travel. Paralyzed body, vibration, fear of death... Lucky you. You are a natural.

The lights appear because you are looking through your astral eyes, and you are looking at astral planes. And Jesus, well he is always there to help people..

You should get a book about Astral Travel like "Out Of Body Journeys" by Robert Monroe. The symptoms you describe are indentical to the dissociation phase that he describes. Most people just sleep through the whole event and then don't remember, but in your case, you have a wonderful gift. Did you know you can go places on earth in your astral body? You could spend your nights visiting remote parts of the world and return just in time for breakfast.. You can go anwhere and observe anything. Only, stay away from electrical wires or intense magnetic fields. They tend to grab and hold you. Also, you won't die. There is a silver chord that attaches your astral body to your physical body which will snap you back if you get too frightened or startled.

The trick is to push yourself away from your body far enough so the attraction doesn't pull you back, like 10 feet or more. Then you can go flying about and exploring..

I could probably write a book about astral travel, but many others have already and the stories are very consistent. Another good book on Astral Projection is "The Key to Secret Worlds" by Paul Twitchell. Or check out Eckankar..

Lucky you! Did you know that Adyashanti's grandmother used to astral travel and knew everything that was going on in town even though she never left her bedroom?

:)
TI
Go to Top of Page

Christi

United Kingdom
4429 Posts

Posted - Nov 10 2009 :  7:37:18 PM  Show Profile  Visit Christi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Bellamente,

Some good advice from TI.

Good to remember also that astral travel can be one of the biggest distractions on the path imaginable. Sometimes it's good to simply get on with the job at hand... waking up.

Christi
Go to Top of Page

BellaMente

USA
147 Posts

Posted - Nov 10 2009 :  9:02:15 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks TI, yea I've known of astral projection for several years.... And I found out, not too long ago that the paralysis is a prerequisite for an OBE... But the thing is, I am extremely scared to actually leave my body! And since emotions are amplified in the astral realm, just imagine how terrified I am when I lay in paralysis! I have heard of astral attacks, attachments, possessions, the silver cord being snapped, etc etc. and just the idea of floating outside my body freaks me out... I know I am a wimp! Hopefully one day when I get used to it, I will no longer be frightened and I will give it ago... But I do oddly enough like the whole experience- the vibrations and sounds and especially the strange superconscious states... By the way, do you have any links to people describing these weird conscious states in sleep paralysis or in the astral body? I never heard of it happening at the astral level before and would actually like to see the words people used to describe such a state! Not even the time I overdosed on mushrooms produced such a wild experience!

Thanks Christi for the advice, and yes I would imagine that astral travel could be distracting...

Go to Top of Page

Tibetan_Ice

Canada
758 Posts

Posted - Nov 10 2009 :  11:34:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
By the way, do you have any links to people describing these weird conscious states in sleep paralysis or in the astral body?

Hi BellaMente :)
Yes, the sleep paralysis is very freaky if you are not familiar with it. In my experiences with astral travel I discovered two things: 1) You don't have to leave your body to astral travel, you can just make up a little body out of astral substance and send that to where you want to go and then tune into the impressions you get, and 2) You don't even have to do that, you can just send your attention to where you want to go and collect impressions from that, and this is super easy during deep meditation. My biggest complaint is that the colors are never what they look like in real life though.. As well, the astral body doesn't travel as fast as awareness.

Links?
Robert Monroe:
quote:

According to his own account, while experimenting with sleep-learning in 1958 Monroe experienced an unusual phenomenon, which he described as sensations of paralysis and vibration accompanied by a bright light that appeared to be shining on him from a shallow angle. Monroe goes on to say that this occurred another nine times over the next six weeks, culminating in his first out-of-body experience.

Here is an interesting lesson on lucid dreaming/OBE's and it even mentions your sequence of going into and out of sleep, and how that precipitates sleep paralysis. (however this is mainly a sales pitch for the products and I'm not familiar with the course or the rest of the videos) Your "I fell asleep for a couple seconds, woke up, fell asleep a couple seconds woke up, you know, the usual... " is what is causing the sleep paralysis, according to this video. And, this video also offers a solution to get out of sleep paralysis in 15 seconds.. I'm sure there are many more interesting youtube videos (and sales pitches) on the subject..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZgJOMqIhvHM

Here are some more links on astral travel/projection:
http://www.experiencefestival.com/astral_body

This link is actually a pretty good read and talks about all the lights (as in your other post) and visual phenomenon.
http://www.experiencefestival.com/a...ces/id/51354

As far as the mentality goes, when I first started astral projecting a long time ago, my state of mind was like dreaming, like that of a child. As I developed the ability to remain conscious in dreams, my normal mind prevailed. As I developed in deep meditation, astral sensitivity/impressions/mentality is of the same type of attention as that little spec of attention that you work so hard to train and control through practices.

But you know BellaMente, Christi is right. Astral travel is a distraction. Astral travel was a childhood dream for me that was dwarfed by the realization of the existence of a larger picture, but it still remains a shining jewel in my dufflebag of experiences.. :)

TI
Go to Top of Page

BellaMente

USA
147 Posts

Posted - Nov 15 2009 :  8:49:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
O wow thanks TI! Very interesting... I never knew that you didn't have to leave your body to experience all that stuff! Next time it comes around I will not be scared and will definitely experiment with it..

But I still haven't found any literature on the superconscious perception and awareness... I still cannot explain it in words nor can I reproduce what it felt like, but when I think of the experience the best thing I can come up with is that it was similar to a kaleidoscope type of consciousness, very expansive and almost as if merging with other consciousnesses, of what I don't know and it brought ecstasy and divine feelings.... I read about samadhi- is this similar to a type of samadhi? Is it common to experience samadhi in sleep paralysis/astral projection??

Go to Top of Page

Tibetan_Ice

Canada
758 Posts

Posted - Nov 16 2009 :  12:07:55 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:

O wow thanks TI! Very interesting... I never knew that you didn't have to leave your body to experience all that stuff! Next time it comes around I will not be scared and will definitely experiment with it..

Hi BellaMente,
The interesting things that intrigue me about what the youtube video guy said is this:

1) If you remain perfectly still, the mind assumes it should sleep and then releases the paralysis sleep potion. Is this why stillness in body and mind is a desired thing in meditation?

2) The only thing you have some control over during sleep paralysis is your breath!!! If this is true it makes me wonder what part it plays in breath meditation.

quote:

But I still haven't found any literature on the superconscious perception and awareness... I still cannot explain it in words nor can I reproduce what it felt like, but when I think of the experience the best thing I can come up with is that it was similar to a kaleidoscope type of consciousness, very expansive and almost as if merging with other consciousnesses, of what I don't know and it brought ecstasy and divine feelings.... I read about samadhi- is this similar to a type of samadhi? Is it common to experience samadhi in sleep paralysis/astral projection??

That was my problem with mantra repetition. You see, I was repeating the mantra subvocally but I could still think. So I "thought" the mantra and discovered I could still remember stuff. So I remembered the mantra and could still 'intend' the mantra. (Intent is way faster and). Long story short, there are several (possibly many) levels of consciousness (each with their own Witness according to Nisargadatta).
Eventually, with much effort, during mantra repetition I would try to get them all repeating the mantra at the same time. This flaberghasted me though, because I'd never heard of many levels of mantra before. Until yesterday, I came accross this site:
http://www.mudrashram.com/levelsofthinking1.html

I don't know how valid this site is, but the idea that you have different levels of consciousness so maybe you have to get each level reciting the mantra interested me.. also the different levels of kundalini..

http://www.mudrashram.com/methodsfo...tation1.html

and this one:
http://www.mudrashram.com/meditatio...gories1.html

The problem with George A Boyd's site is perhaps information overload. There is lots there, perhaps too much, but you will definately find a roadmap of the different consciousnesses and what each one can be used for.

As for the Samadhis, I've written a few experiences as a reply to one of your other posts. Like I said, I'm no expert on Samadhi..

TI

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000