Yamas & Niyamas - Restraints & Observances
 Ecstatic Bathing/Showering
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

CarsonZi

Canada
3189 Posts

Posted - May 15 2009 :  12:24:07 PM  Show Profile  Visit CarsonZi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Namaste All....

I have been meaning to post this thread for a while now but am just getting around to it right now....

Anyone here have any specific bathing routines that cause deep bliss? I don't know if any of you have read the book "Jitterbug Perfume" by Tom Robbins, but I read this book as a teenager and loved all the ideas about how to become immortal. One of the ways the book explains to help stop the body from aging is to have "hot/cold" showers daily. This means to have extremely hot showers, which brings the blood to the surface of the skin (why you get red), and then to turn the water to very cold and "shock" the body into a quick temperature change. The premise expounded on in the book (remember this book is fiction and I totally have no idea if ANY of this is scientifically verifiable) is that by doing this exercise you can start to lower the bodies "regular" temperature. By doing this repeatedly supposedly you can lower your body temperature to the point where your skin stops dying/aging. No more dead skin cells. This is supplemented with a few other practices, the only one I still remember being to eat lots of beets as they regenerate liver tissue (again supposedly). Anyways, I have been doing the "hot/cold" shower thing for many many years now, but only since starting to have some ecstatic conductivity in the body has this practice turned into "ecstatic bathing". The shock of the cold water on the very hot skin sends kundalini rushes through the nervous system, and causes bastrika style pranayam. This is ecstatic for me. I try to do this at least 3 times a shower. I am wondering if any of you out there in "forumland" practice anything similar.

Love,
Carson

P.S. The feeling is akin to being in a hot tub for a while and then running directly into a snow bank from the hot tub. Used to do this as a kid as well until the time when I ran into a hard, crusty snowbank (one that had melted and then refrozen) cutting my bare skin all up...not so ecstatic

Edited by - CarsonZi on May 15 2009 12:27:50 PM

Shanti

USA
4854 Posts

Posted - May 15 2009 :  2:41:55 PM  Show Profile  Visit Shanti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by CarsonZi

I am wondering if any of you out there in "forumland" practice anything similar.

Check this out:
Cold Showers!

Edited by - Shanti on May 15 2009 2:44:35 PM
Go to Top of Page

CarsonZi

Canada
3189 Posts

Posted - May 15 2009 :  3:03:22 PM  Show Profile  Visit CarsonZi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Shanti!

I like these quotes here:

Nandhi said
quote:
prior to a cold shower, when we meditate into the five elements- as our body being earth and water elements; the inner tummo fire as the awakened divine; breath and beyond breath as energies of wisdom ; and liberated as joy to be the element of space- the body becomes an offering!

entering the cold water is a daily baptism by our guru- our wisdom state that is in being spirit through the renewal process that is like the surrender of the body/the past/attachments into mother ganga.

sometimes the body screams- me,my,i,cold,not happy:( scolding the body saying, 'hey body, while making love you enjoyed yourself. now make love with this sacred union too!' gradually, the body enjoys the extremes in the surrender experience transformed to joy to be sustained by the spirit we are awake to be.

dissolving the 'i' through our cold shower to feel our spirit now hold the body as an offering, the siva puja begins as knowing siva to celebrate being siva.

Etherfish said
quote:
Another interesting thing I noticed is where I live (in the mountains) the water is very cold. So if I go from the hottest to pure cold water, it is so shocking it takes my breath away and i can't breathe, even after some time. But if i go from hot to mostly cold but not all the way, it is still shocking but I can breathe. Then I like to go to all cold in another step or two.

Nandhi's post here: http://www.aypsite.org/forum/topic....page=2#24485

And again Nandhi:
quote:
...the feelings during the moments just after the cold shower and plunging into meditation is most exquisite. like speeding up a ramp to be thrown into the void absolute space beyond mind and body!

Thank you for sharing this thread Shanti!

I think "my" (Tom Robbins') method is a little different in that it isn't a straight cold shower, and a little different from the Taoist method in that it isn't a warm to cold shower either. This is REALLY hot, basically to the point where the body is like "OK, I'm hot, time for the shock", and then the cold. Not necessarily freezing cold, (it feels freezing regardless) but just cold. I usually have the cold water start with the crown of the head and then slowly work my way down to the toes. The instant the cold water hits the crown I usually hit extreme bliss. It totally changes the breathing patterns and then as the body adjusts you slowly start to warm up the water again. I do it three times.

Again, thanks for sharing.....I should use the search engine a little more

Love,
Carson

Edited by - CarsonZi on May 15 2009 3:04:10 PM
Go to Top of Page

Etherfish

USA
3615 Posts

Posted - May 15 2009 :  6:25:27 PM  Show Profile  Visit Etherfish's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for showering Carson.
Go to Top of Page

sagebrush

USA
292 Posts

Posted - May 16 2009 :  02:03:33 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
New to the forum for writing, but been reading frequently.I have been debating on whether or not to start posting, knowing good and well that I have wanted too.

Now that I have some idea of where to start- I just want to say that this cold water shower thing is a good idea. Many years ago I was in massage therapy school and in a hydrotherapy class we were doing things like meeting at this Lake Stevens and doing cold jumps in the lake in early spring. That activity would certainly WAKE ME UP! So it was so fun to read this topic and relate and want to incorporate these ideas, here.
I can remember learning about derivation-esp. good for headaches where a person would stick there feet in really hot water, and it makes the blood rush to that area-relieving maybe some of it from the head area. I am not totally sure of all the mechanics of how that works..just the superficial reasoning.

Another fun experiment we did in class was a cold sheet wrap. So with 100% cotton sheets soaked in ice water...fully undressed...wrap up in wet sheets(after wrung out). It has been so many years since this actual experiment and I have not thought of it since and it was probably very early 90's...maybe perhaps we did some other layers too, but the sheets were wrapped tight cocoon/pappos? like...and then everyone after the initial WOW...got into the quiet mode and your body starts to generate warmth....

what fun. I am happy to have read tonight and thanks for all that make it possible to share here now.

sagebrush
Go to Top of Page

Etherfish

USA
3615 Posts

Posted - May 16 2009 :  02:06:36 AM  Show Profile  Visit Etherfish's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Welcome to the forum Sagebrush!
Go to Top of Page

emc

2072 Posts

Posted - May 16 2009 :  02:51:15 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Oh, we are blessed to have a sage among us! Welcome, sage!

The wrapping in cold sheets was actually used as a treatment in old time psychiatry! They obviously knew about it having some type of effect! Interesting that you tried that!
Go to Top of Page

brother neil

USA
752 Posts

Posted - May 16 2009 :  10:19:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
tantra in the shower causes bliss.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000