Satsang Cafe - General Discussions on AYP
 my first post, my search, my experiencee
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

searcher

China
8 Posts

Posted - Apr 17 2009 :  01:46:10 AM  Show Profile  Visit searcher's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message

Om Shanti.

I love this web site

Thank you to everyone who contributes to this great treasury of collective knowledge.

Thank you Yogani for all your sharing. I am honored to have access to such an advanced soul from the comfort and privacy of my keyboard.

I'd like to provide some background on myself and then share a recent experience.

I describe myself as a passive searcher. I am looking for stillness and connectivity with the divine. I read a lot (including many of Yoganis books) and believe I have sufficient knowledge on how to get where I want to go but I fail in the execution. I am perhaps too lazy, easily distracted, busy with work and other things. I am in the process of establishing a daily practice and in time I will get there.

The experience I want to share is one I have had maybe 5 -10 times in my life. It's basically when I am falling asleep, and in that transition state between being asleep and awake. The experience is that I become aware of my state but cannot control my body. I cannot move. I cannot raise my head. I feel stuck. Locked in. I am fully aware I just cannot move my body. It is scary. It passes after a few minutes and I am able to sit up in my bed.

I had this experience again a few weeks ago. When it happened I decided not to be scared. I started to mentally recite a vedic mantra which gave me confidence and strength. I decided I will ride this out until it stops. I started to feel motion. I could hear what sounded like a loud wind or loud air conditioner. Blowing, moving, and rushing very fast. I felt like I was on some kind of roller coaster. It felt pleasurable. I got strength from my mantra. The motion then stopped all was quiet again and I sat up on my bed.

I am not sure what to make of these experiences. I felt that by sharing on this forum someone may be able to relate and offer some thoughts.

With much thanks and best wishes.

Ananda

3115 Posts

Posted - Apr 17 2009 :  02:44:34 AM  Show Profile  Visit Ananda's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
hi searcher and welcome to the forums, and thk you for writing and sharing.

your experience sounds like sleep paralisis and i think you should google it out.

by the way during sleep paralisis it's easy to project out of the body, have that in mind next time you go through that experience.

namaste,

Ananda
Go to Top of Page

Richard

United Kingdom
857 Posts

Posted - Apr 17 2009 :  06:43:29 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Welcome to the forum searcher,

Ananda is right sleep paralysis is nothing to worry about its just that your mind has woken up and your body is still asleep. I have experienced it many times and it can be a forerunner to astral projection when it happens do nothing just accept it relax and it will pass.

We have a saying here that when establishing your daily practices just do them like brushing your teeth expect nothing and you will receive everything
Go to Top of Page

Katrine

Norway
1813 Posts

Posted - Apr 17 2009 :  07:10:10 AM  Show Profile  Visit Katrine's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi searcher

Welcome to the forum and thanks for sharing

I hope others can advise you regarding your experiences before sleep. There is a change in consciousness right before falling to sleep....and the way we perceive things...when in this space... may differ greatly from our "daily" state. This in itself can trigger fear.....
Have you tried to let the attention just follow the breath when the feeling of being "locked in" happens?

quote:
I am in the process of establishing a daily practice and in time I will get there.

quote:
I read a lot (including many of Yoganis books) and believe I have sufficient knowledge on how to get where I want to go but I fail in the execution. I am perhaps too lazy, easily distracted, busy with work and other things.

If you can find the time to establish a daily meditation practise....this will be of great help. Luckily...it is not more knowledge that is needed..... once you know the tool of meditation.....it is the actual daily practise of it that will take you further into the moment...where the divine resides always. Connectedness always happens NOW. Right where you are. And the depth of now is made accessible through meditation..... inspiration....and the awareness (silence) cultivated this way will make it easier to enjoy the moment....whether engaged in work or other things

The best of luck to you
Go to Top of Page

Etherfish

USA
3615 Posts

Posted - Apr 17 2009 :  07:26:55 AM  Show Profile  Visit Etherfish's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Welcome to the forum searcher.
yes the paralysis is a precursor to astral projection. I usually get it when I'm returning to the body. It is a fear within the body, not your mind. You need to decide to move away from the body at that time.
And Katrine is right; twice daily practices are everything. Even just 15 minutes twice a day. It is worth losing sleep for, and it will improve your entire day.
And that's in addition to the spiritual benefits.
Go to Top of Page

miguel

Spain
1197 Posts

Posted - Apr 17 2009 :  12:16:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi searcher and wellcome.
Only i can say is i have heard,felt,that air currents in astral dimension.It was like the sound of a plane reactor,very strong and very loud.It was scary.I domnt know what it means.
Go to Top of Page

jillatay

USA
206 Posts

Posted - Apr 17 2009 :  10:55:37 PM  Show Profile  Visit jillatay's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
There is what I like to think of as a membrane between the waking state and the sleep state. When you penetrate it you feel vibrations/buzzing and hear the rushing sound. If your mind remains awake through the process you will find yourself on the other side of normal consciousness. What happens then depends on many factors. You can be awake in the non physical version of your room or body. Or you may enter the dream state. This state can be normal dreaming or lucid. I have had times where my experience was just as normal as any other and I have also had times where the experience was as transcendant as they come. You should study about the features of sleep paralysis to dispel all fears. If you sense another presence, be reassured this is none other than your own inner self. It is a blessing indeed. Fear not.

Love,
Jill
Go to Top of Page

searcher

China
8 Posts

Posted - Apr 18 2009 :  05:30:59 AM  Show Profile  Visit searcher's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you all for your responses.

Sleep Paralysis makes perfect sense.

However I do wonder if there is more to my experience than purely sleep paralysis.

What I did not mention in my first post was that same evening before sleep I practiced the Uddiyana Bandha for the first time and it definitely had some effect on me, not exactly sure what but it felt like space being cleared. Air being moved, something being stirred or churned.

So I wonder if the experience and specifically the roller coaster like movement part may be some kind of Kundalini "fly up" or awakening.

I mentioned that the experience became pleasurable with the rushing motion and perhaps that may be some sexual energy rising upward having been released by the bandha ?

Not sure.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000