Kundalini - AYP Practice-Related
 Hot, sweaty, sweet smelling hands
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

CarsonZi

Canada
3189 Posts

Posted - Apr 15 2009 :  8:27:13 PM  Show Profile  Visit CarsonZi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Namaste Friends....

This has been an ongoing thing for me since the very beginning of my AYP practices....Not so much the sweet smelling part but the hot sweaty hands has been. Originally I thought not a lot of it because I was downdosing off methadone and thought this was causing the symptoms. Then once I was off methadone I thought maybe it would go away as it could have been a post-acute withdrawal symptom. When it still didn't go away even after several months I decided to try cutting out my usual soy chai latte in the mornings and see if that stopped it. No luck there either...in fact, in the past month or so it has gotten increasingly bad. It's to the point now where I don't shake people's hands because even if I wipe them right before a handshake they are still so hot and sweaty it is both gross and alarming for the other person. About 4 months ago as well I started to notice that I was smelling a sweet, perfume/flower like smell. It took me a couple of months to finally locate it to my hands. At first I thought maybe it was the beginning of the nectar cycle, but I don't think that any more. The smell seems to be coming from my hands. Now normally if your hands were sweating almost 24 hours a day you would think they would stink at least a little. Not the case here. My hands smell like a perfume or a flower shop. The smell is also getting increasingly stronger. I don't use shower gels, or anything other then an apricot scrub on my face so I don't think that is it. I have been using the same product for years before starting yoga. Anyone ever had anything like this become a normal thing for them? Anyone figure out a way to lessen the sweating? Anyone have sweet smelling sweat? Thanks for any input.

Love,
Carson

Goddessinside

158 Posts

Posted - Apr 16 2009 :  12:47:27 AM  Show Profile  Visit Goddessinside's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Carson,

I don't know for the sweet fragrance..
but for the sweating hands, according to oriental diagnosis, it may indicate a weakness in the kidneys due to excessive amount of liquid intake or fruits..
- How is your sleep?
- what does your daily food generally consist of?

It could be interesting to check out the pH of your urine.

Anyway, sweating is a sign of discharge..
And if your diet is relativeley balanced and healthy, then we could assume it is part of the purification process due to your practices..

Sorry, this is all that I could find for the moment..

If anybody else can help more on this, I'd be also grateful

Edited by - Goddessinside on Apr 16 2009 03:04:43 AM
Go to Top of Page

Shanti

USA
4854 Posts

Posted - Apr 16 2009 :  07:51:36 AM  Show Profile  Visit Shanti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
See if you find something useful in this thread:
Sweet Smelling Sweat.

They say sweet smelling sweat is a sign of diabetes http://www.medhelp.org/posts/Diabet.../show/419614
Maybe you can get a blood test done to make sure you rule out diabetes.
Go to Top of Page

Ananda

3115 Posts

Posted - Apr 16 2009 :  08:36:27 AM  Show Profile  Visit Ananda's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
hi Carson,

i think that it might either be smthg related to what godess and shanti described above or kundalini purificating it's way out in a harsh manner but this is not my case here when kundalini currents reach the hand.

tell me are your hands doing any specific mudras automaticaly cz this is what mainly happens when kundalini currents reach the hands like are your thumbs touching with your index fingers and formins circles.

that might be the case here and if it's kundalini related then the right decision is quite obvious "self pace" your practices.

namaste,

Ananda
Go to Top of Page

CarsonZi

Canada
3189 Posts

Posted - Apr 16 2009 :  10:23:28 AM  Show Profile  Visit CarsonZi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Goddessinside...
quote:
Originally posted by Goddessinside

I don't know for the sweet fragrance..
but for the sweating hands, according to oriental diagnosis, it may indicate a weakness in the kidneys due to excessive amount of liquid intake or fruits..

The only excessive liquids I was taking was my extra large soy chai latte, which I cut out about a month to 6 weeks ago. I don't eat a lot of fruit either. Definitely not daily.

quote:

- How is your sleep?

Same as usual.... I don't need very much and I am always well rested and full of energy.

quote:

- what does your daily food generally consist of?

I only eat one meal a day now, but I don't eat anything in particular for that meal. I eat healthy but I am no longer vegetarian or vegan, and I am pretty easy going on what foods I eat. I was eating a lot of heavy meals near the beginning of my AYP journey, but I have recently been able to revert back to a lighter less meat oriented diet. I don't eat very much refined sugars or starches though. Very little gluten.

quote:

It could be interesting to check out the pH of your urine.

My urine is usually a bit on the yellow side, but I have never tested the PH of it. If I did, what would this indicate?

quote:

Anyway, sweating is a sign of discharge..
And if your diet is relativeley balanced and healthy, then we could assume it is part of the purification process due to your practices..

That's what I thought as well for a long time, but it doesn't seem to be getting any less prominent, nor does it seem to be going away. It actually seems to be ramping up now and getting worse. If it was purification that would make this a "phase" right? And if it is a phase it will go away right? That's what I have been banking on for quite a while now, but it really doesn't seem to be lessening at all with time. The only time it doesn't seem to be an issue is when I am going to sleep. Then the sweats take over the whole body not just the hands. And my whole body seems to start to smell like a flower shop. My wife loves it. (other then the sweaty part) Haha.

Love,
Carson
Go to Top of Page

CarsonZi

Canada
3189 Posts

Posted - Apr 16 2009 :  10:27:48 AM  Show Profile  Visit CarsonZi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Shanti.....
quote:
Originally posted by Shanti

See if you find something useful in this thread:
Sweet Smelling Sweat.

Yes I read through this whole thread twice now. Once the last time you pointed me in it's direction, and again today as well....My situation seems to be different then Jim and his Karma's though.

quote:
Originally posted by Shanti

They say sweet smelling sweat is a sign of diabetes http://www.medhelp.org/posts/Diabet.../show/419614
Maybe you can get a blood test done to make sure you rule out diabetes.

Yeah I had really extensive blood work done less then two months ago and it was clear of everything they tested for including diabetes so that isn't it. Thanks for the suggestions though!

Love,
Carson
Go to Top of Page

CarsonZi

Canada
3189 Posts

Posted - Apr 16 2009 :  10:39:07 AM  Show Profile  Visit CarsonZi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hello Ananda.....
quote:
Originally posted by Ananda

i think that it might either be smthg related to what godess and shanti described above or kundalini purificating it's way out in a harsh manner but this is not my case here when kundalini currents reach the hand.

I don't feel that this is caused by kundalini currents....I don't feel the currents the way most people describe very often...definitely not daily like I get the sweaty, sweet smelling hands. I don't think my kundalini is active 24/7. It seems to come and go as it pleases.

quote:

tell me are your hands doing any specific mudras automaticaly cz this is what mainly happens when kundalini currents reach the hands like are your thumbs touching with your index fingers and formins circles.

Sometimes but not all the time. Spontaneous kriyas only usually happen during my practice times or occassionally during my kundalini yoga classes (freaks the heck outta my teacher). I have had some hand gestures happen, but they don't seem to be necessarily related to the sweaty, sweet smelling hands. The most usual kriya I have spontaneously happen is one when I am on my back in savasana and my head is jerked back so that the crown is directly on the floor and my whole body goes rigid...then my arms and hands start doing wierd motions I can't control and my hands make all kinds of gestures I could probably never recreate on purpose. (probablylooks like I am doing some kind of wierd sign language) Most of them happen so fast that I don't even know what they are. (not to mention the fact that I am usually in forced sambhavi mudra so I am not able to look at what is happening with my eyes) Also I usually start automatically doing bastrika pranayam in this position. This is what usually gets the teacher all huffy since everyone is in savasana and here I am flopping around making all kinds of heavy breathing noises (the class is usually only about 6 or 7 people so I'm a little distracting I imagine.)

quote:

that might be the case here and if it's kundalini related then the right decision is quite obvious "self pace" your practices.

I don't think I need to self-pace more then I am, but maybe I do, who knows.... My practice sets are fairly regular and have been stable for a couple of months at least. I do 10 minutes of SBP and 20 minutes of DM in the morning, and I do a full routine that takes about 1hr 15min in the afternoon. I haven't had any other indicators that I should be cutting back on practices at this point so I am hoping I can find an alternate solution here other then just stopping my practices. The sweaty hands are annoying but I'd rather have them then no practice set at all! Thanks for the advice.

Love,
Carson

P.S. I have tried regulating my body temperature with hot/cold alternating showers, bring the blood vessels right to the surface of the skin and then cooling the body temperature with a shockingly cold blast of shower water, but this doesn't seem to be working either. My body temperature is stable and normal, but my hands are still excessively hot. Sometimes I even get to the point where my fingers are freezing cold yet my palms are hot and sweaty....even in minus 15 degree celcius weather my palms will sweat. I am starting to wonder if I am supposed to be working in a "healing" industry or something....if I am supposed to be working more with my hands in a spiritual type of job, but again, I just don't know what this means if anything at all.

Edited by - CarsonZi on Apr 16 2009 11:39:31 AM
Go to Top of Page

Goddessinside

158 Posts

Posted - Apr 16 2009 :  12:55:41 PM  Show Profile  Visit Goddessinside's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi again,

I suggested to check the pH of the urine to see if it is acidic..
knowing that it would indicate an elimination of toxins through the kidneys and other excretory organs.
And usually, a light colored urine indicates that it is too diluted (=too much liquid in the body, that may explain the elimination through the hand and the whole body in the evening)
It should better be yellowish/slightly orange like, clear with a "pleasant" light odor.
Also you shouldn't urinate more than 4 times per day.. 5 is ok, but more than this would also indicate excess liquid in the body.
Concerning the sweet odor, it is a sign of imbalance of the stomach and spleen functions, in oriental medicine.
I remember you talked once about your acupuncturist who checked your tongue condition.. sorry I forgot what she said about it, but if there is a discharge (of any color, usually white, it's a sign of weak digestion/excretory function; OR, in case of a detox diet or fast, it's a common sign of discharge.)
Also, it goes without saying that extreme YIN substances like drugs, over years, need much time to get out of the system.
I would recommand a simple and useful book: How to see your health: book of Oriental Diagnosis, by Michio Kushi (Japan Publications,Inc), hope you can find it.

Sweet (unsweating) things..

Edited by - Goddessinside on Apr 16 2009 1:10:59 PM
Go to Top of Page

CarsonZi

Canada
3189 Posts

Posted - Apr 16 2009 :  2:11:32 PM  Show Profile  Visit CarsonZi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Goddessinside.....
quote:

I suggested to check the pH of the urine to see if it is acidic..
knowing that it would indicate an elimination of toxins through the kidneys and other excretory organs.

I know that my urine is at least slightly acidic...I can tell from the smell. But I don't think it is extremely acidic, nothing too far off neutral.

quote:

And usually, a light colored urine indicates that it is too diluted (=too much liquid in the body, that may explain the elimination through the hand and the whole body in the evening)
It should better be yellowish/slightly orange like, clear with a "pleasant" light odor.

Yes, this is the approximate color and consistancy of my urine. I don't think I have too much liquid in the body....I don't drink a lot of anything. I'm not dehydrated, but I am probably closer to that then overhydrated (just like most Westerners).

quote:

Also you shouldn't urinate more than 4 times per day.. 5 is ok, but more than this would also indicate excess liquid in the body.

Unless I drink alcohol, or coffee(chai), I urinate only a few times a day. Have never counted, but I can guarantee that I don't urinate more then 5 times a day.

quote:

Concerning the sweet odor, it is a sign of imbalance of the stomach and spleen functions, in oriental medicine.
I remember you talked once about your acupuncturist who checked your tongue condition.. sorry I forgot what she said about it, but if there is a discharge (of any color, usually white, it's a sign of weak digestion/excretory function; OR, in case of a detox diet or fast, it's a common sign of discharge.)

The acupuncturist told me that I have digestive issues after looking at my tongue the first time. I knew this long before her telling me. (I have used marijuana as a digestive combatant for most of my life) She also said it wasn't completely physical digestion that I was having a problem with although that was part of it. She said I was having problems digesting excessive spiritual changes as well. I can see this. At my second treatment she said that my digestion looked to be balancing itself out but that there were still some issues.

quote:

Also, it goes without saying that extreme YIN substances like drugs, over years, need much time to get out of the system.

Maybe spiritually, but not so much physically I don't think. Not years anyways. Most drugs are fully excereted from the system within a few months at the most. THC is one of the longest lasting ones since it is stored in the lipid cells, but I have a body fat percent of less than 2% so it should not take me long to release even THC from my system. No more then a month a most.

quote:

I would recommand a simple and useful book: How to see your health: book of Oriental Diagnosis, by Michio Kushi (Japan Publications,Inc), hope you can find it.

Thanks Goddess, I will start looking for it asap.

Love,
Carson
Go to Top of Page

Goddessinside

158 Posts

Posted - Apr 17 2009 :  02:04:24 AM  Show Profile  Visit Goddessinside's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Carson,

When I say it takes time for the body to recover from a past of drugs, I mean, even if the substance itself is flushed away from the cells, the effects it has caused (expansion of the cells, damages to the nervous system, acidity, weakeness in the digestive system etc..) need much time to be healed.
I think you are working very well on many levels everyday..
But though we say that working on the energy is the starting point and then, everything else will follow, I believe eating habits are not to be neglected or underestimated.. It's a whole work.
If the body is sick, we cannot meditate can we?
We need to watch what we put into this "temple", and how we put it..
And the more the system becomes pure, the more we become sensitive to every kind of energy given by food..
And by food, I mean food we eat with our mouth, but also our eyes, ears, nose, etc.

PS: I posted a topic about wheatgrass juice, in the Healthcare section. It's a powerful tool you could include in your daily routine.. it has uncountable health benefits.

Much Love.

Go to Top of Page

CarsonZi

Canada
3189 Posts

Posted - Apr 17 2009 :  10:49:59 AM  Show Profile  Visit CarsonZi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Goddess.....

quote:

When I say it takes time for the body to recover from a past of drugs, I mean, even if the substance itself is flushed away from the cells, the effects it has caused (expansion of the cells, damages to the nervous system, acidity, weakeness in the digestive system etc..) need much time to be healed.

Perhaps....but what I have found is that Spinal Breathing Pranayam has a HUGE effect on this. The purification aspect of SBP seems to completely cut down the time required for repairing the damage done to the body through drug use. Perhaps it is just me, but this IS what happens for me. And you would kinda think that this issue would have shown up long before I started yoga if this was the case....I was a drug addict from age 12 to age 27, and it wasn't until I started AYP last summer when I started to get the "sweaty palms" thing. Which must mean that it has something to do with purification or at least have some sort of spiritual implications. It bothers me having hot sweaty hands all the time, but I would, more then anything else, just like to understand if I am doing something wrong, or NOT doing something I should be and this is the cause of the sweating.

quote:

I think you are working very well on many levels everyday..
But though we say that working on the energy is the starting point and then, everything else will follow, I believe eating habits are not to be neglected or underestimated.. It's a whole work.

Yes I agree 100%. But it is not just conscious eating that is important, but being conscious in EVERYTHING is what is needed. Conscious action, conscious speach, conscious thinking, conscious eating etc etc.....these are all necessary aspects of a well rounded approach to spiritual liberation IMO. I try not to leave any of these areas untouched. The yamas and niyamas play a big part in everything I do or do not do.

quote:

If the body is sick, we cannot meditate can we?

Why not?

quote:

We need to watch what we put into this "temple", and how we put it..

Yes, we must stay conscious of everything we do....

quote:

And the more the system becomes pure, the more we become sensitive to every kind of energy given by food..

Yes, I recognize this, but do not experience it often....I long for a day when I can "feel" the energy of the food I eat.

quote:

And by food, I mean food we eat with our mouth, but also our eyes, ears, nose, etc.

Yes, every stimulus is a source of energy.

quote:

PS: I posted a topic about wheatgrass juice, in the Healthcare section. It's a powerful tool you could include in your daily routine.. it has uncountable health benefits.

Yes, I read the thread, and do occasionally drink wheatgrass juice. It is actually a pretty big thing here in Calgary.....there are a lot of places that sell the shots. I will make a conscious effort to imbibe more often Thanks for your helpful advice. Namaste.

Love,
Carson
Go to Top of Page

brother neil

USA
752 Posts

Posted - Apr 17 2009 :  5:02:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Carson, Yogani talks about when people are in the middle part of this path how Bhasti/colon cleansing can be of assistance. he says this helps to flush us out. Good luck brother
with love
Neil
Go to Top of Page

CarsonZi

Canada
3189 Posts

Posted - Apr 17 2009 :  5:14:23 PM  Show Profile  Visit CarsonZi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Neil....I just have this aversion (known) to stuff like this...drinking my pee, giving myself enimas etc. just doesn't seem like it is for me at this point. Not that it wouldn't help, just that I don't know if I could DO it.

Love,
Carson
Go to Top of Page

CarsonZi

Canada
3189 Posts

Posted - May 11 2009 :  1:03:04 PM  Show Profile  Visit CarsonZi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I think I know for sure now that the sweaty palms thing is an overload symptom. Since I started pacing at the end of last week I have not had the sweaty palms thing happening. Just thought I should say.

Love,
Carson
Go to Top of Page

christiane

Lebanon
319 Posts

Posted - May 13 2009 :  6:17:07 PM  Show Profile  Visit christiane's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by CarsonZi

I think I know for sure now that the sweaty palms thing is an overload symptom. Since I started pacing at the end of last week I have not had the sweaty palms thing happening. Just thought I should say.

Love,
Carson

Hi Carson..
I was browsing the net and found an interesting link:

http://outofthexob.blogspot.com/200...ndalini.html

This guy talks about kundalini symptoms he has encountered, included the floral perfume thing.. So maybe it's another element that could support your conclusion..

Love.
Go to Top of Page

AYPforum

351 Posts

Posted - May 15 2009 :  6:58:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Moderator note: Topic moved for better placement
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000