Discussions on AYP Deep Meditation and Samyama
 Jalandhara in Meditation
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

RSS

USA
69 Posts

Posted - Mar 29 2009 :  9:53:56 PM  Show Profile  Visit RSS's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
The last few times that I had a fairly deep meditation, I notice my head had gone down toward my chest. Not all the way down like with Jalandhara but about half way. I know that I was not falling asleep at all since I sit in a half lotus with no back support and usually start to fall over if I start to nod. Also, even though my head was angled downward somewhat, my eyes were gazzing upward toward the third eye.

Is this normal and/or an acceptable meditation posture or should I straighten my head when I notice that it is tilted downward?

Victor

USA
910 Posts

Posted - Mar 30 2009 :  04:03:11 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Well in my opinion although there is frequently an emphasis on straight posture in meditation it is also the case in AYP that the right posture should come from inside out rather than an imposition of will. Maybe it is because I practice kechari while I meditate but it does not seem to be the case for me that I need to think about sitting in a certain erect way in practice. Kechari and mantra seems to cause an inner alignment that over time opens me up and the posture corrects itself rather than trying to do it from an effort of will. I am not sure if that is the case with everyone or if you don't practice kechari but that is my experience
Go to Top of Page

YogaIsLife

641 Posts

Posted - Mar 30 2009 :  04:29:01 AM  Show Profile  Visit YogaIsLife's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi RSS,

It seems to me that is 'automatic yoga'. see this lesson from Yogani with more on that: http://www.aypsite.org/183.html

I think the best thing is not to indulge in these automatic movements. Let them happen now and then but go back to your practice and initial posture gently and just continue your practice normally. I also feel similar things during meditation. In my case the head goes back someitmes (and other things) as energy moves inside. It is purification. It's a good sign I believe.

Hope this helps and all the best!
Go to Top of Page

Shanti

USA
4854 Posts

Posted - Mar 30 2009 :  07:17:17 AM  Show Profile  Visit Shanti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I notice the same thing this morning.. my head was down toward my chest during meditation. Like YIL said, it is automatic movements and if during meditation you realize your head has angled downward, straighten it.. if you don't realize it, let it go. So basically don't focus on it.. but if you realize your head has bent forward straighten it.
Go to Top of Page

Richard

United Kingdom
857 Posts

Posted - Mar 30 2009 :  07:22:10 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi RSS seems like your doing fine.

quote:
The last few times that I had a fairly deep meditation, I notice my head had gone down toward my chest. Not all the way down like with Jalandhara but about half way. I know that I was not falling asleep at all since I sit in a half lotus with no back support and usually start to fall over if I start to nod. Also, even though my head was angled downward somewhat, my eyes were gazzing upward toward the third eye.

Sounds like quite an acceptable posture for AYP to me. Just relaxed with the head tilted slightly forward and the eyes turned upward is normal for AYP deep meditation, just relax and be with it don't try to correct it if your head needs to be more upright it will do it on its own.

Edited by - Richard on Mar 30 2009 10:04:00 AM
Go to Top of Page

riptiz

United Kingdom
741 Posts

Posted - Mar 30 2009 :  10:56:15 AM  Show Profile  Visit riptiz's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi,
Head tipped forward is the body's way of opening the sushumna to allow energy through easier.I have had this on a regular basis during many years of meditation and during shaktipat guruji tipped my head this way.Experience of energy flow has shown me that shakti finds a way through easier when head is forward.I have also found by tipping the head slightly before meditation you can change the consciousness by will instantly.
L&L
Dave
Go to Top of Page

RSS

USA
69 Posts

Posted - Mar 30 2009 :  8:38:33 PM  Show Profile  Visit RSS's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks everyone for the great answers.

Riptiz,
I think your right about the instant change of consciousness. There were times when I did not allow myself to go with the urge to tip my head and the meditation was a struggle. As soon as I allowed myself to go with the urge to tip my head, I went much deeper almost immediately. Also, the times that I felt something going on at the third eye (like someone was lightly touching my forehead with their thumb), my head was slightly tilted down.
Go to Top of Page

Jim and His Karma

2111 Posts

Posted - Mar 31 2009 :  2:02:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Likely a sign of block at the throat. On the one hand, your body/the mantra/silence/God is clearly working on it. OTOH, you can help it along by using the yawn move I described in the first post in this thread:
http://www.aypsite.org/forum/topic....OPIC_ID=3296 (see the section under "Dilate your throat to open the energy flow")

Don't do it during meditation, of course. Before or after....at intervals through the day. And if it feels energizing, self-pace.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000