Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Forum FAQ | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 AYPsite.org Forum
 Other Systems and Alternate Approaches
 mantra to breath: do I have to change my practice?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

jillatay

USA
206 Posts

Posted - Mar 26 2009 :  11:49:20 PM  Show Profile  Visit jillatay's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi again YIL, Yes I do maintain the same twice daily schedule and yes I can go longer with the breath than with the mantra. I also do some self inquiry and tuning into the body and heart throughout the day. I love to meditate and can't imagine not sitting so that is not even a question. Sometimes in the afternoon I get busy and forget to meditate but then I want to even more the next session.

I have to admit with the mantra 5 minutes could seem a lot longer. I did do SB and Samyama too and rested for a long time after so my routine was about 40 minutes or longer depending on the rest period. Sometimes the Samyama was so strong I lost track of time altogether and didn't know how long I had been there.

Yogani, I like that we are creating as we go.

Love to all,
Jill
Go to Top of Page

YogaIsLife

641 Posts

Posted - Mar 27 2009 :  03:46:56 AM  Show Profile  Visit YogaIsLife's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Jill,

Thanks, that is great.

Two more questions if you don't mind. You said you meditated with the mantra for 4 years before switching to breath. Can you tell me for how long have you been with the breath? Another question is: when (if) the breath stops, where do you focus your attention next? Thank you so much.

Hi Yogani! Sorry I did not acknowledge your post before, I haven't seen it! Just now that Jill mentioned you I went back to see it...Thanks so much for expressing your opinion, it is highly appreciated.

Will keep posting if something changes in my experiences.
Go to Top of Page

Christi

United Kingdom
4429 Posts

Posted - Mar 27 2009 :  04:14:42 AM  Show Profile  Visit Christi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Yogani,

quote:
Discussions like this one are very useful, and a key part of the evolution that is constantly occurring in the community. It is the kind of thing that no one person can represent experientially. It takes a village.

You are right... it takes a village! It will be interesting to see how things expand and develop as people move forward. An exiting time.

Hi Yogaislife,

quote:
Another question is: when (if) the breath stops, where do you focus your attention next? Thank you so much.

This question has come up a few times in the forum over the past few years. I just thought I would give the Buddha's take on it as he was one of the first people to teach this practice to a mainstream audience. If I remember rightly the instructions he gave went something like this:

1. When you are breathing in be aware that you are breathing in.
2. When you are breathing out be aware that you are breathing out.
3. When the breath is suspended inside the body, be aware that the breath is suspended inside the body.
4. When the breath is suspended outside the body, be aware that the breath is suspended outside the body.

I have always followed this, but I have also found that when the breath suspends, the attention naturally turns on itself, a bit like the zazen practice of turning the light within.

Hi Miguel,

quote:
I think the most important thing is the road,not the tool,and when you are in front of a new tool "talking" to you,it has a meaning.

Yes, at the end of the day it has to be about the road, not the tool. If one tool is not serving it's purpose at a particular stage on the path or at a particular time, then use one that does.

Christi
Go to Top of Page

YogaIsLife

641 Posts

Posted - Mar 27 2009 :  05:44:58 AM  Show Profile  Visit YogaIsLife's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Christi, again great and helpful input.

quote:
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Another question is: when (if) the breath stops, where do you focus your attention next? Thank you so much.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This question has come up a few times in the forum over the past few years. I just thought I would give the Buddha's take on it as he was one of the first people to teach this practice to a mainstream audience. If I remember rightly the instructions he gave went something like this:

1. When you are breathing in be aware that you are breathing in.
2. When you are breathing out be aware that you are breathing out.
3. When the breath is suspended inside the body, be aware that the breath is suspended inside the body.
4. When the breath is suspended outside the body, be aware that the breath is suspended outside the body.

I have always followed this, but I have also found that when the breath suspends, the attention naturally turns on itself, a bit like the zazen practice of turning the light within.

This makes sense to me. I had similar experiences with the attention having a natural focus on wherever the breath is, or wherever it left it when it stopped. I also felt the attention turning inwards after suspension.
Go to Top of Page

jillatay

USA
206 Posts

Posted - Mar 28 2009 :  12:47:08 PM  Show Profile  Visit jillatay's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by YogaIsLife

Hi Jill,
Two more questions if you don't mind. You said you meditated with the mantra for 4 years before switching to breath. Can you tell me for how long have you been with the breath? Another question is: when (if) the breath stops, where do you focus your attention next? Thank you so much.

Hi YIL,

I said 2 years not 4. sorry if it was confusing. I just started with the breath some time in December.

Your other question is complicated. My breath doesn't completely stop at this time. I have experienced the stopping of the breath when I was much younger. But I was not using the breath as object then. I was using the body at that time. One meditation session I became so absorbed in the process that I forgot to breathe. So then I didn't have to switch to a new object. In my mind what happened was "oh isn't that odd, I'm not breathing" Then went back to my meditation which consisted of scanning the body (not Goenka style) and releasing. At this time my breath almost stops when I am really tranquil. Then my attention turns to awareness of these wholesome states (see Buddha)

Sorry I took so long to answer this.

Love to all,
Jill
Go to Top of Page

YogaIsLife

641 Posts

Posted - Mar 28 2009 :  1:18:48 PM  Show Profile  Visit YogaIsLife's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Jill, not at all, no worries about the timing. I am very happy you answered eitherway.

Yes, you wrote 2, not 4 years, my bad there.

That is great input, thank you. I am still investigating this whole business of what to do when the breath stops as it happens to me sometimes and probably I remain overconscious of it. I think the matter will resolve itself naturally in due time, and with practice.

This thread has been extremely helpful to me and thank you all for the contributions. I know have a better picture of the whole thing thanks to your inputs and can progress on my way with renewed confidence.

It has been said many times before but it can be said again - these forums can be extremely helpful and are a real blessing. THANK YOU!
Go to Top of Page

Sparkle

Ireland
1457 Posts

Posted - Mar 28 2009 :  3:41:49 PM  Show Profile  Visit Sparkle's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
I am still investigating this whole business of what to do when the breath stops as it happens to me sometimes and probably I remain overconscious of it. I think the matter will resolve itself naturally in due time, and with practice.

In my experience, when the breath stops, the thinking also stops and there is nothing to do and nothing to think. Then, for me, the breath starts again but the experiencing in the breathless state can continue but the breath is no longer an object, there is no need of an object then.

Edited by - Sparkle on Mar 28 2009 3:48:11 PM
Go to Top of Page

mimirom

Czech Republic
368 Posts

Posted - Mar 28 2009 :  3:56:58 PM  Show Profile  Visit mimirom's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi YIL,

great topic and wonderful discussion, learned a lot, thank you so much.

I just felt it would be good to mention, that if you wish to learn breath meditation, it probably would be a very good idea for you to attend a Buddhist meditation retreat with a good teacher. It's a wonderful experience to go there for a week or two, and of course, you will daily receive precise meditation instruction, and continuous attentive guidance. Moreover, those retreats usually come in a format, where there is taught a Vipassana/Samatha/Metta Bhavana mix. In this way you can learn really a lot there.
The holidays are coming and I think Europe is well covered with experienced monks during the summer I'm going for sure.

Roman
Go to Top of Page

YogaIsLife

641 Posts

Posted - Mar 28 2009 :  5:08:44 PM  Show Profile  Visit YogaIsLife's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Sparkle.

quote:
Originally posted by Sparkle

quote:
I am still investigating this whole business of what to do when the breath stops as it happens to me sometimes and probably I remain overconscious of it. I think the matter will resolve itself naturally in due time, and with practice.

In my experience, when the breath stops, the thinking also stops and there is nothing to do and nothing to think. Then, for me, the breath starts again but the experiencing in the breathless state can continue but the breath is no longer an object, there is no need of an object then.

That's a good point Sparkle. I think I need to go deeper still to true no-thought/breathless states.

Edited by - YogaIsLife on Mar 28 2009 5:26:59 PM
Go to Top of Page

YogaIsLife

641 Posts

Posted - Mar 28 2009 :  5:10:14 PM  Show Profile  Visit YogaIsLife's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you Roman! Great tip!

Actually it is a great coincidence because, as I got interested in breath meditation and wanted to know more, I was looking around for buddhist centres around here and then saw one that had what seemed like a nice retreat in mindfullness in April. So I'm gonna sign up. Thanks!

You know, it is going to be my first retreat...let's see how it goes! I never thought I was the kind of guy to go on "meditation retreats" I guess meditation does that to a guy

Edited by - YogaIsLife on Mar 28 2009 5:26:18 PM
Go to Top of Page

gumpi

United Kingdom
546 Posts

Posted - Mar 29 2009 :  07:21:01 AM  Show Profile  Visit gumpi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I don't feel that the advice that Buddha gave is good enough. The fact for me is that when my breath has stopped i am aware it has stopped and i have other thoughts in my mind. I still don't know what a "thoughtless" state is nor do i believe that is even possible because who is there to know it is thoughtless?

Also, when the breath does stop how do i know i am not somehow somewhere intentionally holding it? And it also feels suffocating.

I have noticed a complete lack of mention of breath stoppage in all the Buddhist books and websites i have ever looked at. I want to know why that is.

What makes the tongue go back by itself and what does that mean? (please don't say it is kundalini - i haven't experienced anything like kundalini).

Go to Top of Page

miguel

Spain
1197 Posts

Posted - Mar 29 2009 :  08:23:37 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Gumpi.

"who is there to know it is thoughtless?"

Thats a question from the mind too.When thought dissapears there is no more "who's"and nothing to know.Toughtless is beyond the mind.
Hope this helps a bit.

Edited by - miguel on Mar 29 2009 08:32:44 AM
Go to Top of Page

mimirom

Czech Republic
368 Posts

Posted - Mar 29 2009 :  09:17:52 AM  Show Profile  Visit mimirom's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi gumpi,

quote:
I don't feel that the advice that Buddha gave is good enough. The fact for me is that when my breath has stopped i am aware it has stopped and i have other thoughts in my mind. I still don't know what a "thoughtless" state is nor do i believe that is even possible because who is there to know it is thoughtless?

I don't know how experienced you are in meditation, but it seems to me that you need to achieve a state of higher concentration, in order to experience the "thoughtless state."
It goes like this (I'm talking about my own, authentic experiences. I did this several times.):
I sit down on the cushion, and relax my whole body stepwise. Then I focus first on the sensations of my legs touching the ground, for 1-2 minutes. Then continue observing sensations of my bum touching the cushion for 1-2 minutes. All the time I'm constantly mentally labeling "touching, touching, touching" or "pressure,pressure" and so on, whatever sensations happen to occur in that place. This is in order to help keeping the mind from wandering. Then also hands touching, and feeling the posture in general, for 1-2 minutes.
Then I place my attention on the sensations of raising and falling of the abdominal wall. (still labeling - raising, falling..)
Whenever the mind wander off, I acknowledge "thinking,thinking", and gently go back to raising and falling. All the time I'm trying to recognize the sensations as precisely as possible. The concentration begins to raise.
I do this for 3 days, each day for about 8 or 10 hours. When outside of formal meditation, I try to observe and label as much of my movements and sensations as possible, moving rather slowly for that reason.
During the third day my concentration reaches a point, where a profound blissful silence begins to occur in the mind. All the usual mess in the mind radically slows down with that level of concentration. That means that you can sharply see distinct objects of the mind, one by one. You observe a thought, for instance, how it slowly begins to form in the mind, then it becomes clearer, then you notice the tendency to enter it, then you continue consciously observing it, then you witness the tendency to enter disappear, then the thought begins to faint, and finally it slowly vanishes, leaving behind a kinda empty bubble, or white fog - if your eyes are open. Then another object, like an emotion or sound, slowly starts to enter, and you do the same with it. This feels like watching through a powerful microscope, plus everything is in slow motion. This is a non-ordinary state of consciousness, and one cannot derive it from common experience.
When I get even a little sharper, carrying on with the concentration meditation, thoughts typically cease to enter the mind altogether. Then I can see rather big gaps, where the are no objects in the mind, although the mind is still there. Also "sati" is there, the faculty of consciousness which observes. Sati is not a thought, and continues to exist in the thoughtless state.
I've been told that later on, when you get even sharper, you begin to see the mind, the bits of experience (objects), and sati, as distinct objects to. Then you see first the object arise, then immediately the consciousness of it arise, and you see also sati. In that moment you recognize that there is still something else besides these three functions, which you can now consciously identify with.

This is what you get when you follow the Satipatthana Sutta, which is what the Buddha wanted us to do.

Hope this helps. Remember: you cannot reason your way into this. You need to use a different faculty of your mind: increase your concentration remarkably, in order to gain access to this.

Take care, gumpi
Roman

Edited by - mimirom on Mar 29 2009 09:30:16 AM
Go to Top of Page

jillatay

USA
206 Posts

Posted - Mar 29 2009 :  12:35:26 PM  Show Profile  Visit jillatay's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Dear gumpi,

See my post from before on this topic. http://www.aypsite.org/forum/topic....D=4463#40334 Buddha describes his experience with the breathless state. So it was known in his time.

All I can say is when it has happened there was no sensation of ME holding the breath and it didn't feel like suffocation at all. It felt liberating. I have also posted elsewhere that I believe there is some mechanism we humans have that is natural called the diving response. Dolphins have it too. The breath suspends for long periods during which the metabolism must change. I remember there would be a slight puff exhale perhaps three times in a meditation session that might last for 2 or 3 hours. Also I was not in an unconscious trance, rather I was very alert and mindful.

Love,
Jill
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000