AYPsite.org Forum
 Tantra - A Holistic View of Spiritual Development
 menstruations and energy
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Goddessinside

158 Posts

Posted - Jan 24 2009 :  12:25:05 PM  Show Profile  Visit Goddessinside's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Hi...
I'm gona ask a basic question concerning the relationship between menses and prana:
Once a month, a woman experiences a cleansing process, and that's a gift from Mother Nature!
But once a month, this process drains a lot of energy (up to 40%).

I had a look at the Tao breathing technique that helps in channeling the energy up in order to minimize or eventually preserve the energy loss. But it sounds soooo complicated to master!

So my question is: are the daily practice of spinal breathing, and other kriyas designed to channel the energy upwards, enough to prevent the loss of energy with time? OR does anybody know about another specific technique that could help?

Thanks.

Edited by - AYPforum on Jan 27 2009 07:32:21 AM

emc

2072 Posts

Posted - Jan 24 2009 :  6:01:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Goddess,

Who says it drains 40% energy? What is 100% - where's the energy source?

I experience no energy drain during periods. On the contrary - during my period I open much more and become more stable in stillness. Lots of insights often occur during these times.

American Native Indians didn't let women join certain ceremonies during periods... not because they were "unclean" as some have interpreted it, but because they were so strong during that time that they might cause too much turbulence for the others, bringing in so much powers (stillness and energies)!
Go to Top of Page

Scott

USA
969 Posts

Posted - Jan 24 2009 :  6:40:24 PM  Show Profile  Visit Scott's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Meditation does it all. I agree with emc, from what I've learned.
Go to Top of Page

Goddessinside

158 Posts

Posted - Jan 25 2009 :  08:04:26 AM  Show Profile  Visit Goddessinside's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Yes.. in fact, I feel that my sensitivity and openeness increase during my periods. Also the mind becomes less crowded with bubbling thoughts..
But when it comes to doing my practices, I'm not sure, but I feel the energy is more shallow.. is it my mind which interprets this "emptiness", or calm energy as a loss of energy?
And I would like to know how the quality of the energy changes during the cycle, especially when ovulation happens in harmony will the moon cycle (full moon)..I'm becoming more and more sensitive to those changes, but I would appreciate to have any other comment on this matter. Thx.
Go to Top of Page

Shanti

USA
4854 Posts

Posted - Jan 25 2009 :  09:22:31 AM  Show Profile  Visit Shanti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi G,
The energy levels are at it's highest during the menstrual cycle. Like emc said, that is the main reason women are asked (even in India) to stay away from anything spiritual or religious during that phase. The only reason is to keep them away from anything that can further increase their energy. If they were told they are too powerful at that point.. it would make them curious.. so they are told they are unclean. It does make sense to keep women, who have no idea about shakti and how to work with it, away from anything that can overload them.

The drain you think you are feeling is not your imagination. The flow of Shakti is high during your cycle and if you continue with your energy practices at this point (like pranayama and/or tantra.. esp. if you are not doing any meditation) and if the nervous system is not purified enough, it cannot handle such high energy and gets burnt out. That is what gives you the drained out feeling. It will change with time, as you practice more and purify your nervous system further you will be able to handle more and more energy. I know you practice a lot of pranayama in your "Shambhavi" technique. Maybe self pace a bit during your cycle.

There is also a phase of purification and release that happens during your menstrual cycle.. Katrine has talked about it here.
She has explained the process really well and I will say I have been going through similar experiences.
quote:
The energy loss before the period is different too. Earlier there would be a clear "fall" in clarity and energy the last 4-5 days before the period and 3 days into it. Now there is no fall in clarity - but there will be one day with a strong sense of emotional purification....something comes up and lasts for a bout a day.....but since the clarity is consistant....it is witnessed and then....when whatever it is that comes up is cleared.....there will be 3-4 days where the force of the surges diminish a little (but as soon as the bleeding starts the energy is back to normal levels), but where the silence does not diminish. Last time this happened....the crown was completely open for a few days......and the....."physical"....silence was so profound.....that there was lightness light as air. It was like the body was just a breath.....

Edited by - Shanti on Jan 25 2009 09:27:36 AM
Go to Top of Page

Goddessinside

158 Posts

Posted - Jan 25 2009 :  09:34:32 AM  Show Profile  Visit Goddessinside's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you Shanti...
this is exactly what I went through 3 days ago!
Lightness of the bodymind...
I slept 1 hour and felt my body becoming fluid and it seemed that my etheric body started to detach from the physical one to merge with a huge emptiness or space ..
I slept one hour, it was like an eternity, but I was aware. It wasn't a dream.
I think this is what Katrine described as "presence" in the room...
Thanks a lot!
Go to Top of Page

Lili

Netherlands
372 Posts

Posted - Jan 26 2009 :  09:24:28 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Goddess,

I know of Taoist exercises used by nuns to stop their period for the duration of exercises--can be years. I was told if you discontinue the exercises your period resumes afterwards. I haven't researched or tried them (was tempted but scared) but if you are interested can try to dig out some additional information for you.

Lili
Go to Top of Page

Goddessinside

158 Posts

Posted - Jan 26 2009 :  11:19:09 AM  Show Profile  Visit Goddessinside's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Lili

Hi Goddess,

I know of Taoist exercises used by nuns to stop their period for the duration of exercises--can be years. I was told if you discontinue the exercises your period resumes afterwards. I haven't researched or tried them (was tempted but scared) but if you are interested can try to dig out some additional information for you.

Lili

hi Lili!

Actually, I had a look at the Taoist breathing exercise on the web..
I found it quite difficult to practice! and after reading Shanti's post, I felt that I should be patient and continue doing my practices to cleanse my nervous system..
Now, if there is a technique that can help me control the date of my periods, maybe that will be interesting!

Thank you Lili!
Go to Top of Page

Shanti

USA
4854 Posts

Posted - Jan 26 2009 :  2:20:49 PM  Show Profile  Visit Shanti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
It has been discussed before, it's called the Deer Exercise.
Go to Top of Page

Goddessinside

158 Posts

Posted - Jan 27 2009 :  12:30:39 AM  Show Profile  Visit Goddessinside's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Shanti

It has been discussed before, it's called the Deer Exercise.

Thank you dear!
Go to Top of Page

AYPforum

351 Posts

Posted - Jan 27 2009 :  07:32:21 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Moderator note: Topic moved for better placement
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000