AYPsite.org Forum
 Asanas - Postures and Physical Culture
 Grace of asanas
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

emc

2072 Posts

Posted - Dec 04 2008 :  07:13:09 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
In Fiji we had a yoga teacher whom I am ever gratful of. She taught asanas in a way that even charmed me. I would shy from asanas still if I hadn't had those experiences of how wonderful and flowing they can be when not striving or achieving, but just BEING with the Flow. Then the body does not protest or hurt. It was very important for me to learn. The softest and most comfortable yoga asanas I've ever tried.

What did she teach that finally got me LOVING asanas?

She taught

- Follow the breath. Let the breath be natural and adjust movements to the breath, not the other way around.

The movements were adjusted to synchronise with the breath in a comfortable way, so that no matter how slow you breathed, there was no problem coping to hold the asanas without being exhausted due to lack of muscular fitness!

The freedom to be able to finally follow the slow breath while doing asanas created the most comfortable Flow I've ever experienced during asanas. And it was suddenly very easy to track how the energies flowed differently in different movements.

The body-mind sync was revealed in a new way. I go into such slow breaths, and finally there was a yoga practice where I can be FREE to follow that, and not have to follow the teacher or the class. It was finally giving me a chance to stay present and go deep inside, and not focus outside and on top of that feel inferior when I don't cope following the class because I'm too slow.

Katrine

Norway
1813 Posts

Posted - Dec 04 2008 :  08:42:49 AM  Show Profile  Visit Katrine's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi emc

That's great

Your post made me joyful.
Thanks for sharing
Go to Top of Page

DivineAndrogen

USA
3 Posts

Posted - Dec 05 2008 :  02:04:19 AM  Show Profile  Visit DivineAndrogen's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
How lovely, how delicious. I'm curious if the teacher was trained in the Krishnamacharya/ TKV Desikachar lineage?
Freeing ourselves from the timing of a lead class where we follow the lead of a teacher or other students is essential to accessing our own individual intelligence moment to moment as it emerges in our practice and lives. I feel this is best done practicing on our own, or in a group where we are free to follow our own timing, not orienting ourselves to an outer structure of time or sequence.
Kevin Kortan
www.evolutionaryyoga.com
Go to Top of Page

emc

2072 Posts

Posted - Dec 05 2008 :  08:43:08 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Krishnamacharya, yes! That was the type of yoga! Absolutely beautifully intelligent way of teaching asanas!

Great, Katrine. Joy is to be shared!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000