AYP Home | Main Lessons | Tantra Lessons | AYP Plus | Retreats | AYP Books
Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Forum FAQ | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 AYPsite.org Forum
 Jnana Yoga/Self-Inquiry - Advaita (Non-Duality)
 Inquiring the emotional body
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

emc

2072 Posts

Posted - Nov 11 2008 :  2:02:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
One of the greatest insights I had during the retreat in Fiji was that emotions can be questioned in the same way as thoughts...

I learned that men are prone to be more attached to their minds, while women are more prone to be attached to their emotional bodies. I don't know how general this is, but it seems to be some truth in it for me anyway.

One day I just decided to try to detect the current emotions. It said *flirrrp* and I suddenly saw, with my third eye, the emotional body in the form of a spacious egg. In the egg were several different forms, shapes floating around. They had different colours, taste and smell also. My attention was drawn to one of the forms, and I started to inquire which feeling that symbolized. I had to talk loudly to myself because it was very difficult to just sense the emotion, but when I spoke the words that came out just flowed, and it would suddenly voice the accurate emotion. Often the smell was a que to make it click, and it also sent visions of memories associated with the emotion. When I hit the correct emotion the whole body went into spasms and I just knew I had burnt the attachment to that emotion away, and sent it home. Sometimes it was also seen as flashes or lightnings burning it away. Once, I could sense that it was not only the current emotion burnt, but the whole sequence of transmitted emotion from mother to daughter, to mother to daugther... the whole inherited pattern of emotional responses since the beginning of time... Quite powerful experience.

I have written about the froth I produce http://www.aypsite.org/forum/topic....OPIC_ID=3913. Until the retreat I had never produced any froth when being alone, but during the retreat it started to happen when I was alone. I asked what that was and got the answer that it can appear when cleansing others but also that "it's a sign of attachment to the emotional body". That's when I started to investigate it.

Every time I froth now, I go into the "egg" and wait until the attention is directed to one of the forms. And I go into questioning it. It has been very interesting, because the answers of what emotion it is about is almost always a surprise! Of course... it's the subconscious attachments that are still puppetting me. If I knew what it was it would be conscious and seen...

This means, I don't have to go into discovering what cognitive assumptions or thoughts that are behind the emotions... I can go directly to the emotion, detach from it, and gain freedom. Then the emotion can still be there, but it has no longer got anything to do with me... It's just emotion, and then it quickly dissolves into stillness.

The latest sneaky feeling I went into was seen as smokey veils all over the egg. It took quite a while before I could sense what it was about... When I touched the veils, it sent electrical currents in the whole egg. I sensed it was something very basic and that it was sort of the "glue" that kept the whole egg together... When I saw it and stirred it, it became very, very annoyed to be seen... I sensed it did NOT want to be detected. I saw it was a SYSTEM of some kind... that word gave some energetic reaction, so I knew I was on my way to find out what it was... I continued... STRUCTURE... more reactions... CONTROL... almost there... but not quite... It was not about my fear of not having control over outer situations... I tried SELF-CONTROL... and *bzzzzzzzzzzzt* the whole egg shook.

Someone filled in with info by asking "Have you ever had any eating disorder?" I have been leaning towards bulimia, and the coin dropped... When everything is chaos, the only thing one can have control over is oneself. This is expressed to the extreme in eating disorders like anorexia and bulimia. This tight 'holding oneself together' is quite the opposite of 'letting go'... I remembered Adyashanti's words that "Control is the last thing you let go of", and I thought he meant the wish to control the surroundings or what is happening. It is probably that too, but for me, it was new to understand how the ego-structure is holding ITSELF together... The feeling of self-control has been essential... or else everything would have been insecure and unknown...

Well... now it's time to welcome the Unknown. The emotional body is loosing its grip and it knows that. The froth is a blessing...

Another great detection was that there is crying and there is crying... When the Divine touches, there is often crying... and it does NOT create any froth! However, as soon as there is a wish to HOLD ON to the Divine Touch, and a seeking of prolonging it, or any thought with self-consideration in it, the froth comes, and I know in my heart that I suddenly became false... I have gotten the suggestion that crying from Divine Touch is being "emotional", but I do not sense there's any truth in that, although I am sure that also the "touch crying" will diminish with time... I don't cry anylonger from heart openings as I did before, so there is a "getting used to it" as well...

Edited by - emc on Nov 11 2008 2:08:36 PM

Christi

United Kingdom
4429 Posts

Posted - Nov 12 2008 :  02:51:50 AM  Show Profile  Visit Christi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi emc,

Welcome back from Fiji, it sound like you had fun.

quote:
Someone filled in with info by asking "Have you ever had any eating disorder?" I have been leaning towards bulimia, and the coin dropped... When everything is chaos, the only thing one can have control over is oneself.

I was just wondering, what is making you lean towards bulimia ? And why do you think everything is chaos?

Christi

["You do not wake up by analysing the dream": Mooji ]
Go to Top of Page

emc

2072 Posts

Posted - Nov 12 2008 :  04:27:10 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Haha, Christi, my friend, Thank you for the welcoming! No, we do not wake up by analysing the dream.

I have all my life been interested in psychology - the knowledge of how the mind works - the relationships between thoughts, emotions and behaviours. When I entered the spiritual journey I have come to see more and more how the "psycho-spiritual" works. It's as if I have one feet in each camp, and I sometimes just see the connections - everything in the ego-mind seems to be symbolical and parallell great spiritual truths. Every drama played out by the mind mimics the drama of separation from Source somehow, or mimics the struggle to find our way back home.

The mind-created world is Chaos, maya. It's suffering. This consciousness was thrown into a body-mind who grew up in a very dysfuncional family which produced very much chaos and suffering(which most of us are in one way or another anyway, so nothing peculiar really). When the surroundings are very unpredictable the mind works hard to find some sort of stability and sort things out. It wants to bring order to Chaos, but mostly it is not possible. (That's why a lot of upset emotions occur when things don't work as we would like them to.) As a child, when almost everything is out of ones control, the mind tries to order what it can... and for many girls today that is to at least control the food intake. Eating disorders are very much about self-control due to lack of ability to control the outside life. I ended up in that behaviour for a couple of years as a reaction to childhood events. It's long ago now, but there has always been this need for self-control. My whole system has been very "square" and rigid.

Actually... with all this synchronicity happening, after I had written this post I opened Nisargadatta's 'I AM THAT' and found the following passage where he happens to talk about letting go of the self-control and seeing the body go automatic... He is being asked about the automacy of his physical functioning (I cut the quote here and there):

quote:
The mind looks after the body all right, I need not interfere. What needs to be done is being done, in the normal and natural way. I find myself talking to people, or doing things quite correctly and appropriately, without being very much conscious of them. It looks as if I live my physical waking life automatically, reacting spontaneously and accurately.- - - I realized my true being, I left behind my human nature to look after itself, until its destiny is exhausted. Occasionally an old reaction, emotional or mental, happens in the mind, but it is at once noticed and discarded. After all, as long as one is burdened with a person, one is exposed to its idiosyncrasies and habits.
- - -
One can function rightly, responding well and fully to whatever happens, without having to bring it into the focus of awareness. When self-control becomes second nature, awareness shifts its focus to deeper levels of existence and action.

Q: Don't you become a robot?

A: What harm is there in making automatic, what is habitual and repetitive? It is automatic anyhow. But when it is also chaotic it causes pain and suffering and calls for attention. The entire purpose of a clean and well-ordered life is to liberate man from the thralldom of chaos and the burden of sorrow. - - - Once you realize that the person is merely a shadow of the reality, but not really itself, you cease to fret and worry. You agree to be guided from within and life becomes a journey into the unknown.

It may sound cryptic to others but to me it's crystal clear how everything in my life has served a purpose. I'm discovering how the ego-structures were built and what the symptoms and functions has been of them, like bulimia. Now, the spiritual journey is like a backwards unfolding of all psychological events so this current persons life journey is less of a mystery... instead I am entering a greater Mystery...

Edited by - emc on Nov 12 2008 04:31:31 AM
Go to Top of Page

Christi

United Kingdom
4429 Posts

Posted - Nov 13 2008 :  05:34:52 AM  Show Profile  Visit Christi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi emc
quote:
I have all my life been interested in psychology - the knowledge of how the mind works - the relationships between thoughts, emotions and behaviours.

I don't think there is a relationship between thoughts, emotions and behaviours. We normally think there is, we think that we think something, and that causes us to feel some emotion and that causes us to behave in a certain way, or vis versa. So it appears that there is some causal relationship happening. Actually I think that all these things are effect, not cause. They are all bubbling up from something deeper inside. Thoughts bubble up, feelings bubble up, and behavioural patterns bubble up, and our mind makes it look like there was some causal relationship between them.

What is really happening is much deeper, and more significant. Less on the surface of things.

I know that this kind of designates whole vistas of psychological study to the garbage bin. But I'm afraid, that's how I see it. I thought I'd put it your way, as it may be some help.

quote:
As a child, when almost everything is out of ones control, the mind tries to order what it can... and for many girls today that is to at least control the food intake.

Do you still experience this need to control your environment by controlling what you eat?

Christi
Go to Top of Page

Shanti

USA
4854 Posts

Posted - Nov 13 2008 :  09:09:20 AM  Show Profile  Visit Shanti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
emc.. you have a lot of purification going on.. now is not the best time to analyze and conclude too much.. let go.. give the mind a break.. let the purification be done.. let the opening happen.. self pace a bit my friend.

Edited by - Shanti on Nov 13 2008 09:21:55 AM
Go to Top of Page

emc

2072 Posts

Posted - Nov 13 2008 :  1:50:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Christi, ultimately you are probably right. It is in our mind world we see cause and effect according to "laws", in all kinds of science, both natural and social sciences.

As for your last question it was answered in the post:

quote:
I ended up in that behaviour for a couple of years as a reaction to childhood events. It's long ago now,

So, no... now I see the body serve itself the food that it needs, no more, no less. At first I was so touched when the arm was putting food in my mouth, just like a parent feeds a child... I cried every meal. Now I'm getting used to it. Consciousness feeding the food-body...

Shanti, thank you for your concern, but I'm totally ok. (Pst. It's on the verge of being patronizing... ) This is not analyzing. It's instant SEEING. I'm just reporting what comes to me.

Go to Top of Page

Anthem

1608 Posts

Posted - Nov 13 2008 :  10:15:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Christi,

quote:
I don't think there is a relationship between thoughts, emotions and behaviours. We normally think there is, we think that we think something, and that causes us to feel some emotion and that causes us to behave in a certain way, or vis versa. So it appears that there is some causal relationship happening. Actually I think that all these things are effect, not cause. They are all bubbling up from something deeper inside. Thoughts bubble up, feelings bubble up, and behavioural patterns bubble up, and our mind makes it look like there was some causal relationship between them.

What is really happening is much deeper, and more significant. Less on the surface of things.

It's funny you should mention it, this has occurred to me to recently. Emotions or thoughts arise and then people find reasons for them. There is a strong likelihood this occurs, but other connections could be drawn for such experiences as possibilities but are difficult to prove like past life experiences or thoughts caught in the energetic sphere of the planet that we come into contact with etc. as possible causes.

It is irrefutable from my perspective to deny that there are thoughts which trigger emotional reactions and then corresponding or reactive behaviours, I have observed such patterns often enough in myself, though would be happy to pass on them! where the thoughts originate, now that’s a great question.

Go to Top of Page

Christi

United Kingdom
4429 Posts

Posted - Nov 14 2008 :  03:43:18 AM  Show Profile  Visit Christi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
It is irrefutable from my perspective to deny that there are thoughts which trigger emotional reactions and then corresponding or reactive behaviours, I have observed such patterns often enough in myself, though would be happy to pass on them! where the thoughts originate, now that’s a great question.

Hi Anthem,

Even when the mind is silent, emotions still arise, and actions still take place. Let a thought arise in the mind, and it looks like the thought was the pre-curser to the emotion and the action. So what is causing what?

When we dream, it also appears that we feel things, and then act on our feelings, whilst actually we are lying on our bed with our eyes closed. Same thing happening, mind forming causal relationships to give the appearance of reality.

Christi
Go to Top of Page

YogaIsLife

641 Posts

Posted - Nov 14 2008 :  04:42:47 AM  Show Profile  Visit YogaIsLife's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Christi,

quote:

It is very interesting what you say and I admit I never heard this one before! Could I maybe ask you to elaborate on this one? I, like Anthem, have the perception that thoughts can trigger emotions (and vice-versa in some cases, but less likely) and this leads to certain behaviours. It is like we get programmed, conditioned to act a certain way and have a certain world view based on our thinking/emotions/experiences we had. This is believed to be the truth, as you can hear in phrases like "You are what you think" etc. But I am very much interested in seeing your way, I see no reason why the common view would be the norm.

But, in your opinion, what then controls the thoughts that arise in the mind? Pure randomness? And how can an emotion appear without an associated thought or behavioural pattern (even if just a shiver for example when we are afraid).

Thanks!
Go to Top of Page

Christi

United Kingdom
4429 Posts

Posted - Nov 14 2008 :  07:36:40 AM  Show Profile  Visit Christi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Yogaislife,

quote:
It is very interesting what you say and I admit I never heard this one before! Could I maybe ask you to elaborate on this one? I, like Anthem, have the perception that thoughts can trigger emotions (and vice-versa in some cases, but less likely) and this leads to certain behaviours.

All I can say really is observe it in yourself. Does a thought always lead to a certain emotion, or action? Or does a certain emotion always bring up a certain thought. Can there be no response? No reaction? Because until there is no response, we will always assume that one is causing the other.

It is the common view because people always respond. In (samvikalpa)samadhi, thoughts can still come, but there is no reaction to them. There is no response, emotionally or physically.

quote:
But, in your opinion, what then controls the thoughts that arise in the mind? Pure randomness?

I think we tune into different thought frequencies depending on the level of purification of our subtle nervous systems. It's not at all random.

quote:
And how can an emotion appear without an associated thought or behavioural pattern

Sit completely still and bring your mind to silence, and you will see that emotions still arise independently of thoughts and behaviours.

Christi
Go to Top of Page

emc

2072 Posts

Posted - Nov 14 2008 :  08:12:36 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Christi, there's just one tricky thing in this and it is spelled:

unconscious

You may very well have unconscious (or subconsciuos) assumptions that are not even formed as thoughts which will trigger emotions and behaviours. One such unconscious assumption is: I have to be liked by others. So we smile when we meet people, although we are not happy at all. Or when we smile towards someone and don't get a smile back, an emotion arises of disappointment, although no thought is there. It's still due to the hidden underlying assumption. Happens without a thought, yet it is a conditioned reaction happening.

So to inquire we may watch our thoughts, emotions or behaviours and just see them happen. Get to know thyself. We can do that without analyzing WHY they happen or HOW it functions. So that we can discover 'I am not this, not that'.

For me, though, I happen to have discovered many of the WHY's and HOW's... I just know it, as instead of just seeing an "animal", I see "a cat" or "a cow" without thinking about it or having to analyze it. Because I'm trained in it.

Edited by - emc on Nov 14 2008 08:13:08 AM
Go to Top of Page

Shanti

USA
4854 Posts

Posted - Nov 14 2008 :  09:31:33 AM  Show Profile  Visit Shanti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I had talked about emotions and thoughts being independent of each other in this topic Mind Filters...

quote:
Originally posted by Shanti

I have realized something that I would like to share. Feelings arise in us.. good and bad.. and once you learn to observe your mind/ego (I will use the word mind in this post).. you will see that any time a feeling arises, the mind tries to make sense of it and runs it through a life filter. It will either pass it through a filter of something that is happening right now and associate the feeling with it, or if it cannot fit it into anything happening right now (like everything is going great.. and yet you feel sudden sadness in your heart).. it will go back and look through it's memory bank and find something from the past that will fit perfectly with that feeling.

The feeling is just there.. it was always just there.. till the mind decided to do its job and process it by passing it through a filter, put a label on it and tuck it away somewhere in memory for future reference. When you learn to watch your mind, you can see this clearly.

I have noticed in the past few days.. I have a lot of energy moving (this is what I call feelings above.. actually feelings, emotions are all just energy.. till the mind attached a label of happy feelings or sad feelings or grumpy feelings or bleh feelings or..).. and I have a buncha stuff going on in life.. and before I would have to make a effort to not connect the energy with what's going on, so as not to get pulled into a low phase.. but this time it is clearly two distinct processes going on in me. the mind has not connected the everyday life stuff to the energy arising in me.. it's like the connecting factor.. the mind has given up trying to attach the two.

This is still very new to me.. and hence feels a bit strange.. my mind thinks I should get pulled into all that is going on.. and the energy (emotions) are because of what is going on around me.. but the two process are completely separate.. and this really feels like surrendering to what is.. without any stories. Noice!!!

PS: Sorry if I sound confused above.. the fact that it is happening in me without any effort.. and that I can see it so clearly.. is so new that my mind hasn't had a chance to dissect it and analyze it and label it yet.

Edited by - Shanti on Nov 14 2008 09:41:35 AM
Go to Top of Page

YogaIsLife

641 Posts

Posted - Nov 14 2008 :  10:00:13 AM  Show Profile  Visit YogaIsLife's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you Christi, ems and shanti for sharing.

Yes, I see what you mean. It is tricky though although I do understand it can be like that. So the truth is not: particular thought => particular emotion => particular behaviour/world view but rather these are all independent processes according to you and the mind does the connections. Well, someone has to because in life all is connected, either we understand it or not!

Well, what I am saying is that for me it is not so much that thoughts, emotions and actions are not linked (they definitely are) but rather that they are not linked in a static, solid, and permanent way but rather any thought can be associated with any emotion or outside circumstance (e.g.: the way you react to being robbed can be quite diverse, from positive to negative).

Now, if we can get to a state where there is NO connection between thoughts/feelings/actions I guess this is what Christi mentions above and must be samadhi. In that case you are completely detached (meaning just observing) your emotional-thought-body (some call it the mind or ego). This makes sense to me although I still did not experienced this as such.
Go to Top of Page

Anthem

1608 Posts

Posted - Nov 14 2008 :  10:24:13 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Christi

quote:

Hi Anthem,

Even when the mind is silent, emotions still arise, and actions still take place. Let a thought arise in the mind, and it looks like the thought was the pre-curser to the emotion and the action. So what is causing what?

When we dream, it also appears that we feel things, and then act on our feelings, whilst actually we are lying on our bed with our eyes closed. Same thing happening, mind forming causal relationships to give the appearance of reality.

Christi

Hi Christi,

Just to be clear, I was saying above that it is irrefutable from my perspective that it can go in this direction: thoughts leading to emotions leading to behaviours, I'm not saying this is the only direction. I agree the mind has an amazing ability to paint a lovely story about reality.

At the risk of getting a little esoteric here, from my experience, thoughts can arise from many sources, we pick up other people's thoughts and emotions as well, sometimes they are easy to confuse with our own and other times they can trigger emotional or behavioural reactions in us as well. Certain physical locations can also give rise to particular thoughts and silence too.

I can't say with 100% certainty that every emotion has a thought at its root, but every time I have inquired into an emotion so far, a thought soon reveals itself even when it is unconscious at first. Like I mention though, the thought may not be originating with this mind body in particular.

I have also often observed that when a virus enters my body or some kind of cold or illness, that it brings a series of thoughts along with it. There is an energetic component to it that can be startling when it is so different to what you are accustomed to. If I am not aware that I have been exposed to a virus I sometimes become a little perplexed at where these "odd" and unfamiliar thought patterns are coming from and then lo and behold, the cold or whatever makes itself apparent.
Go to Top of Page

emc

2072 Posts

Posted - Nov 14 2008 :  12:55:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I just stumbled into a video with Adyashanti. It's beautiful as a whole, and 2.30 min in, they start talking about the identification with the emotional body!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CQZUrUA4y0k

Edit:

Jeeez... this sentence that I wrote in the first post:
"It's just emotion, and then it quickly dissolves into stillness." has been haunting me since I wrote it... it's a lie! And for some reason, the body decided to sit down by the computor to correct it:

It does not dissolve into stillness... What happens is actually that I have this atombomb constantly blowing off above the head now, with a sucking black hole behind it, and as attachments to emotions are released, they are sucked into that black hole, back to... . Often arms are raised up straight when it happens.

I'm sorry. I haven't got a clue why there is so much writing on this forum about things like that. It's just another experience... Perhaps someone will benefit sometime from reading it...

Edited by - emc on Nov 14 2008 2:40:14 PM
Go to Top of Page

emc

2072 Posts

Posted - Nov 15 2008 :  03:58:58 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Okidoki... so, the unfolding continues. This is the way it has been for me during the whole journey. Something happens, I exprience something, have a hunch of what it's about, and then a book comes to me, I open a page and there is a clearer explanation of what's going on.

I have written about The Black Diamond - death star experience here:
http://www.aypsite.org/forum/topic....OPIC_ID=4267

Shortly after, my ex handed over "The elixir of enlightenment - The diamond approach to Inner Realization" by Almaas. It has been lying unread for quite a while. This morning I opened a page in the middle and found what all this inquiry is about. Christi and Shanti called it analyzing - I don't see it that way. I seem to have automatically followed this "Diamond approach" without knowing it! Here's Almaas way of explaining it, talking about the Psycho-spiritual! (Essence = That, and he has earlier explained how Ego-structures represses the knowing of That):

quote:
He [Freud] stayed within the realm of the personality and its instinctual sources, which do not operate deeper than the chakra system. However, his topological and structural point of view is very useful for us, as we have already seen and as we will further see as we discuss the continuing development of essence. Since essence becomes repressed (as do affects, ideas and fantasies), the job of retrieving essence becomes simple and obvious: to make the unconscious conscious. This will, however, alter the structure of the personality itself and will change its position in the overall economy of the human organism. This is because, as we discussed in Chapter Three, the structure of the personality is based in large part on the experience of the loss of essence. So when essence is unrepressed and freed, it will change the personality structure.

Awareness

This simple dictum, to make the unconscious conscious, is the most fundamental, basic and necessary aspect of the Diamond Approach and of all other genuine methods of the Work. The individual begins with consciousness and ends with consciousness - consciousness is simply expanded further and further. We must point out here that by consciousness we mean awareness, because the word consciousness is sometimes used to denote other concepts. Some authors, in fact, use the word consciousness to refer to essence.

Therefore, as in all systems of inner development, to apply the Diamond Approach, the individual cultivates awareness. The main method is to erase unconsciousness through psychodynamic techniques. However, even to start this process, the person must learn how to pay attention, how to be aware of inner and outer happenings. Awareness is needed to collect observations that can then be used for the psychodynamic understanding. Without awareness, the person will not know what thoughts go through his mind, what emotions fill his heart, or what sensations there are in his body. So there will be no impression, no material for understanding, if there is not enough awareness.

The ordinary person has awareness, but it is very restricted, confined, and selective. In awareness training, the individual learns to expand his awareness, to let it not be confined by his habitual and compulsive patterns. As awareness is freed more and more, the powers of observation expand, and the material for understanding becomes more available.

Awareness is necessary not just for collecting observations for the process of understanding but really for all aspects of the work of inner development. It is also, of course, necessary for everyday practical living. Awareness is a characteristic of life itself, of all living matter.

- - -

The deepest aspect of the personality is a restriction of awareness. The ego identity, which normally is called the self, exists on the deepest level as a contraction of awareness, a restriction of consciousness. To say it more accurately, the ego identity (the I) as a structure is on the deepest level a hole of awareness, or a deficiency of awareness, because of the loss of intrinsic and basic awakeness. This is the deepest and most defended hole in the personality.

This deepest hole in the personality, around which its identity is structured, is the avoidance (the loss) of the awareness of death. More accurately, the personality does not understand death, and it avoids the perception of its possiblity and its existence. It is terrified of death because it means its own annihilation. We are not referring here to the death of the body, although the personality cannot conceive of any other kind of death because of its identification with the body. We mean the experience of nonexistence, which is the absence of experience. But this nonexistence is the deepest nature of the personality, its very center.

The personality's fear and avoidance of death creates a gap (a hole) in awareness around which the personality is structured. This gap is the kernel of the unconscious. Unconsciousness develops as the personality develops and is structured around this hole. Unconsciousness is ultimately unconsciousness of death, which is necessitated by the lack of understanding of what death is.

- - -

Here we find one of the greatest uses of essence. Essence can penetrate to these deep, dark corners of the personality. Essence can go all the way because it is the deep. And because essence is intrinsically characterized by awareness, it can take our consciousness to these deep and normally inaccessible places of the unconscious and expose them to observation and understanding. This will in turn expose more holes, so that new and deeper aspects of essence is retrieved.

We see here a reciprocal process, in which understanding the personality brings out the essence, and then the essence brings out deeper layers of the personality and so on. This process continues, and awareness expands, until all of the personality is understood, all the way to the experience of its own death and nonexistence. In addition, all aspects of essence will be recognized and developed in the process. This naturally sets the ground for the spontaneous arising of the perception of enlightenment. - - - A person can traverse the path by going through small "deaths", which will bring out the aspects of essence, which will in turn lead to the final experience of ego death.

This is what the masters mean with "Get to know Thyself". If we don't SEE and understand the workings and functions of our ego-structures (body, mind - thoughts, emotion, intellect, will, intuition) how can we become the Masters of them? They will easily hook us again if we don't get to know ourselves!

This seeing is not from the mind. It is consciousness learning and evolving. Learning how it forgot its origin as it was brought into Existence. It's seeing the Divine Design of a Human Being.

I find it very interesting that he mentions that the psychology of it does not go further than the chakra system! I have simultaneously with this also understood much more of the chakras. The unconscious is in the second chakra, the subconscious in the third chakra. The second chakra is what determines our relationships - we are unconsciously drawn to a partner who will always be the best guru, since s/he is designed to draw out the most unconsious patterns we have. It's all so logical!!!

Edited by - emc on Nov 15 2008 04:29:44 AM
Go to Top of Page

Christi

United Kingdom
4429 Posts

Posted - Nov 15 2008 :  04:38:06 AM  Show Profile  Visit Christi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi emc,

quote:
It does not dissolve into stillness... What happens is actually that I have this atombomb constantly blowing off above the head now, with a sucking black hole behind it, and as attachments to emotions are released, they are sucked into that black hole, back to... . Often arms are raised up straight when it happens.

I have to say this emc, but I do agree with Shanti... you are sounding seriously unstable at the moment. The atom bomb above your head might just have something to do with it.

I would also recommend some serious scaling back of practices, or even just having a holiday for a while. You can say whatever you like about patronizing remarks, but I would be failing in my duty to a friend if I did not say something.

Christi

Go to Top of Page

emc

2072 Posts

Posted - Nov 15 2008 :  05:20:48 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you, Christi, but I have never felt as grounded and sane and clear in my whole life! It's all unfolding very beautifully.

I appreciate your concerns but I have no uncomfortable overload symptoms of the usual kind, part from slight itching in armpits. No worries, mate!

You see, along with the sucking upwards, is the sucking downwards... as if I am the axis
OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOmmmmmmm
holding the vortex of existence around it...

symbolized in the rings of the chakras if looked at from above as described by VIL in this post:http://www.aypsite.org/forum/topic....D=4713#40611

quote:
And what if the secret of violating time or harnessing the power of a black hole (via gravitational weight) is within the concentrical value of all of these chakras combined. In other words, not viewing the chakras in a straight line,(up and down)within the body, but as a single circle (flower), as if we're looking down on these charkras - one atop the other - as illustrated by this Yantra:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...ruct.svg.png

The microcosmos mirrors the macrocosmos. Our chakra system is mirroring the Universe in its spiralling vortex around the axis - sushumna!

I can't help seeing it. It's crystal clear.

No worries, Christi. Everything is happening as it should.

Edited by - emc on Nov 15 2008 07:35:48 AM
Go to Top of Page

Christi

United Kingdom
4429 Posts

Posted - Nov 15 2008 :  07:28:48 AM  Show Profile  Visit Christi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi emc,
quote:
Thank you, Christi, but I have never felt as grounded and sane and clear in my whole life! It's all unfolding very beautifully.

I am glad to hear it, and I hope everything stays as stable for you.

I am no stranger to the crown chakra, and I am well aware of how quickly things can get out of hand- so do keep an eye on it won't you.

Christi
Go to Top of Page

emc

2072 Posts

Posted - Nov 15 2008 :  07:40:53 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Or rather... not keep an eye on it, so to not direct more energy up there. Thank you, Christi.
Go to Top of Page

Christi

United Kingdom
4429 Posts

Posted - Nov 15 2008 :  07:44:20 AM  Show Profile  Visit Christi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Anthem,

quote:
Just to be clear, I was saying above that it is irrefutable from my perspective that it can go in this direction: thoughts leading to emotions leading to behaviours, I'm not saying this is the only direction. I agree the mind has an amazing ability to paint a lovely story about reality.

Imagine every day you go and sit by a river. And every day a man comes downstream paddling a canoe. You go every day for a hundred days, and sit by the river, and every day the man comes downstream paddling the canoe. After a hundred days you say "I have irrefutable evidence that the man is going downstream because he is paddling downstream".
Then on day 101, you go and sit by the river, and the man comes downstream in his canoe, but he is no longer paddling.

And then you will say "I have irrefutable evidence that the man is being carried down the river by the river itself".

This is what has happened during the few awakening experiences I have had. It is like... "O.K. I thought it was like this... but actually it's like this. I thought I was the person thinking/ feeling/ doing... but I never was. I thought I was going downstream because I was paddling downstream, but I never was. I was always being carried by the river."

The relationship (in time) between thoughts feelings and emotions, requires a connecting entity... a person which links them in time. So the question of a causal connection between thoughts feelings and actions really comes down to the question of whether or not there is a thinker of thoughts, an experiencer of feelings, and a doer of actions.

Christi
Go to Top of Page

Christi

United Kingdom
4429 Posts

Posted - Nov 15 2008 :  09:11:22 AM  Show Profile  Visit Christi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi emc,

quote:
Or rather... not keep an eye on it, so to not direct more energy up there. Thank you, Christi.

Yes, it was a poor choice of words. I realized that after I posted.

Christi
Go to Top of Page

Anthem

1608 Posts

Posted - Nov 15 2008 :  09:29:50 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Christi

Hi Anthem,

quote:

Imagine every day you go and sit by a river. And every day a man comes downstream paddling a canoe. You go every day for a hundred days, and sit by the river, and every day the man comes downstream paddling the canoe. After a hundred days you say "I have irrefutable evidence that the man is going downstream because he is paddling downstream".
Then on day 101, you go and sit by the river, and the man comes downstream in his canoe, but he is no longer paddling.

And then you will say "I have irrefutable evidence that the man is being carried down the river by the river itself".

This is what has happened during the few awakening experiences I have had. It is like... "O.K. I thought it was like this... but actually it's like this. I thought I was the person thinking/ feeling/ doing... but I never was. I thought I was going downstream because I was paddling downstream, but I never was. I was always being carried by the river."

The relationship (in time) between thoughts feelings and emotions, requires a connecting entity... a person which links them in time. So the question of a causal connection between thoughts feelings and actions really comes down to the question of whether or not there is a thinker of thoughts, an experiencer of feelings, and a doer of actions.

Christi

Hi Christi,

Yes no argument from me, it is the divine paradox of duality v. non-duality and really there is no "v." it is both. However maybe the question we should be asking ourselves is "is there a sequence of cause and effect" in the world of duality and from my perspective there seems to be. Hence all the practices we are doing here at AYP.

Go to Top of Page

Christi

United Kingdom
4429 Posts

Posted - Nov 16 2008 :  02:21:26 AM  Show Profile  Visit Christi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Anthem,

quote:
Hi Christi,

Yes no argument from me, it is the divine paradox of duality v. non-duality and really there is no "v." it is both. However maybe the question we should be asking ourselves is "is there a sequence of cause and effect" in the world of duality and from my perspective there seems to be. Hence all the practices we are doing here at AYP.

Yes, in the world of duality there appears to be cause and effect. And we can use that to our advantage in spiritual practices.

Christi
Go to Top of Page

Christi

United Kingdom
4429 Posts

Posted - Nov 16 2008 :  02:27:15 AM  Show Profile  Visit Christi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Shanti,

quote:
I have noticed in the past few days.. I have a lot of energy moving (this is what I call feelings above.. actually feelings, emotions are all just energy.. till the mind attached a label of happy feelings or sad feelings or grumpy feelings or bleh feelings or..).. and I have a buncha stuff going on in life.. and before I would have to make a effort to not connect the energy with what's going on, so as not to get pulled into a low phase.. but this time it is clearly two distinct processes going on in me. the mind has not connected the everyday life stuff to the energy arising in me.. it's like the connecting factor.. the mind has given up trying to attach the two.

This is still very new to me.. and hence feels a bit strange.. my mind thinks I should get pulled into all that is going on.. and the energy (emotions) are because of what is going on around me.. but the two process are completely separate.. and this really feels like surrendering to what is.. without any stories. Noice!!!

That's right. And it is not only emotions that are actually just energy manifesting into form, but thoughts (whether conscious or unconscious), and the will to act are also simply energy manifesting into form. And of course, it is the same energy manifesting in different ways. Even the storyteller, who links them all together and creates the story, is just another manifestation of the same energy.

Christi
Go to Top of Page

emc

2072 Posts

Posted - May 30 2009 :  02:58:50 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Awakening this topic again, because... I just happened to open another book in which I found this description of the emotional body:

quote:
Virginia: Can you describe what the emotional body looks like?

Hathor: We perceive the emotional body as a shining, eggshaped energy field with hoovering light particles - millions and millions of small light particles. And some of them have very different colours. Some are dark, some are grey, some very black. Some are shining white, shining gold, blue - all types of colours - and they identify where the memorypattern of the feeling is located. /from "Hathor", Tom Kenyon & Virginia Essene

Hehe... isn't that pretty similar to what I see?

quote:
I suddenly saw, with my third eye, the emotional body in the form of a spacious egg. In the egg were several different forms, shapes floating around. They had different colours, taste and smell also.

Edited by - emc on May 30 2009 04:20:16 AM
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.12 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000