Satsang Cafe - General Discussions on AYP
 Body awareness
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

anthony574

USA
549 Posts

Posted - Oct 17 2008 :  10:28:42 PM  Show Profile  Visit anthony574's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
I just wanted to post an interesting realization I had int the shower.

I was driving home from work immersed in awareness due to my diligent Tolle-esque present-moment practice combined with my deepening DM and SB practice. I was enjoying it and defintiley wanted to keep it going. When I got home however I started noticing that it is as if my body moves and performs functions ahead of me. I tried to maintain total body awareness but it seemed like it wanted to stay on auto-pilot. I was doing my routine I must have done a million times (come home, take shower, brush teeth, ect) and I found it very difficult to maintain awareness of all my limbs while washing my hair and such. Once you are aware of one motion and limb then you realize you lost the other one!

On a side note, on an LSD trip I had some years ago before yoga I experienced an odd "time lapse" during which I felt that every move I was making was predetermined and that I was simply filling in a template of movement, if that makes sense. I felt that every step and action I was taking, especially mundane ones, was already happening before I had awareness of the action. My experience today reminded me of that experience, but not as dramatic.

Do you guys feel that this is something that is worth improving upon, or is there a definite time and place for body auto-pilot. Certainly if the body did not move of its own accord many tasks would be harder. I have been practicing body awareness from Tolle and am finding it helpful in energy sensitivity, however, I wonder if it is possible to do it too often.

Just curious about your thoughts :-)

CarsonZi

Canada
3189 Posts

Posted - Oct 17 2008 :  11:57:38 PM  Show Profile  Visit CarsonZi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
A friend and I used to call this "Universal Time" as in you were in perfect time with the Universe. No thought necessary, just actions dictated by silence/Universe. I've only had this experience a handful of times, but each time it happens I relish it. For me it was like I was doing EXACTLY what I was supposed to be doing according to the plan of the Universe and for a time had no will of my own.

Love,
Carson
Go to Top of Page

YogaIsLife

641 Posts

Posted - Oct 18 2008 :  06:38:54 AM  Show Profile  Visit YogaIsLife's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
You can also see it another way - the realization that your body is doing automatic things, that you are not aware or in control, a call for more awareness. It is a beautiful experience though and shows you clearly that your awareness is something besides your body. But, like in all experiences, I'd say it would be good to just be aware. Awareness is key, isn't it? If the experiences become too overwhelming just self-pace accordingly, cutting back whatever you think is mainly enhancing those experiences.

I had similar experiences but, to me, they were kind of scary.

I also had a lot of benefit with Tolle's little techniques. I don't think you can overload, especially if you have inner silence present. If not, that is another matter, that would probably be like mind trying to control mind, which will not work, in my experience I can tell you that.
Go to Top of Page

anthony574

USA
549 Posts

Posted - Oct 18 2008 :  08:58:20 AM  Show Profile  Visit anthony574's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Well, I can definitley *observe* the body doing its thing on auto-pilot. But synching up with it requires a resolution of awareness that I just don't have right now ! When the body has performed a mundane task 3000+ times muscle memory takes over. How many of you brush your teeth EXACTLY the same way every time? Take a shower EXACTLY the same way? I know I do!

Perhaps the best move is to observe the body doing its thing. Tolle would say "bring awareness" into the unconciousness of it, although, the body's ability to do this feat while your mind permutates things is extrordinary and certainly an advantage.
Go to Top of Page

Shanti

USA
4854 Posts

Posted - Oct 18 2008 :  08:58:25 AM  Show Profile  Visit Shanti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Wonderful experience Anthony.

This is one of the experiences of being in witness.. and is generally brought on when you practice meditation along with some form of "being present" practice. A similar experience would be Slow motion movement. I think it is a point where we are slowly shifting our focus on living from our left brain (controls the language, thoughts of past, future)... and learning to live from the left and right brain (living in the present) equally.

PS: Watch this if you have not already seen it When a Brain Scientist Suffers a Stroke

Edited by - Shanti on Oct 18 2008 09:35:18 AM
Go to Top of Page

Sparkle

Ireland
1457 Posts

Posted - Oct 18 2008 :  12:57:48 PM  Show Profile  Visit Sparkle's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Anthony
Great experiences.

Just wondering if you are incorporating the breath with your movements, wheather full body or arm or hand or where you are putting your attention.
When I walk like this and also breath into my body it takes on a whole new experience. Also, if say moving the arm and hand to pick up something, when done with the breath can become like a Tai Chi movement imbued with Chi or Prana.

I find that if I am doing something specific like brushing my teeth, my awareness can be on a number of things - for instance it can be brought fully into the contact between the brush and the teeth, or the hand and the brush, or the tooth paste etc.
When this happens attention does leave the whole body experience for the time being, although you can choose to switch attention back to that from time to time.
It can become a practice of switching attention from one thing to another and, as Shanti often points out, be aware of the "gap" between the points of focus.
It is probably because of your increased inner silence that you are tuning into this gap more and more, without maybe being aware of it as a "gap". I think the gap can also be called spaciousness. So your movements can be done in a backdrop of spaciousness or inner silence.

Don't know if that makes any sense.
Cheers
Go to Top of Page

anthony574

USA
549 Posts

Posted - Oct 18 2008 :  9:46:37 PM  Show Profile  Visit anthony574's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
About the gap -

I notice that the longer the period of unconcious movement or action (ie a long busy span at my work in a kitchen) when I suddenly realize "whoa, I have been gone the past 2 hours" it as like the gap is so dramatic and sudden that everything goes super vivid.

I haven;t tried breath-synching. When I do my Tollesque moment awareness I start with the breath and then move into the body. That will be an interesting thing to try!

I like the idea of learning to shift focus to gross to fine. Both are certainly necessary depending on the circumstance.
Go to Top of Page

jillatay

USA
206 Posts

Posted - Oct 19 2008 :  1:47:26 PM  Show Profile  Visit jillatay's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by CarsonZi

For me it was like I was doing EXACTLY what I was supposed to be doing according to the plan of the Universe and for a time had no will of my own.

Wonderful! I have had this experience during meditation but not while "walking around." Hope I get to that point some day. I know I just think too much.

Love to all,
Jill
Go to Top of Page

CarsonZi

Canada
3189 Posts

Posted - Oct 19 2008 :  3:03:38 PM  Show Profile  Visit CarsonZi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Jill,

I haven't had it in meditation yet, only walking around, so I'm no better off than you!

Love,
Carson
Go to Top of Page

porcupine

USA
193 Posts

Posted - Oct 19 2008 :  3:37:21 PM  Show Profile  Visit porcupine's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
WALKING MEDITATION!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

haha just a thought, but I guess that defeats the point..
Go to Top of Page

CarsonZi

Canada
3189 Posts

Posted - Oct 28 2008 :  11:29:47 AM  Show Profile  Visit CarsonZi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Porcupine,

Not sure if you are saying that you think "walking meditation" defeats the point of meditation or if I am just reading your post wrong, but I practice walking meditation daily. While I walk around I repeat the words "stepping stepping stepping" with each step. I try to look about 5 feet in front of me and think of nothing but the stepping mantra. It's very effective for meditation while moving. I usually do this while walking my dogs at an off leash park so I have little to no responsibilities (my dogs are self controlled for the most part) and can do this without harm to anyone/thing. Oh and by the way, I didn't make this up, I read it in a Ram Dass book called "Journey Of Awakening, A Meditators Guidebook". Good book.

Love,
Carson
Go to Top of Page

emc

2072 Posts

Posted - Nov 04 2008 :  1:54:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Anthony,

I'd like to share my experiences on this. The latest year I have been very much in witness of the body moving without effort. For some reason this body is not only doing the normal activities of everyday life, it also waves its arms, forms mudras and goes into asanas. It gently strokes the hair of the person it hugs, it points at a persons chakras, it raises its hands into blessings (beaming as I sometimes have described it). I can't do anything about it but surrender to it, for the consciousness animating the body knows what it's doing...

This has caused me some confusion. It has been seen with scepticism. Others have not understood it, they have suggested that it is the workings of my ego, that it is impure, that it is to show off ("see me, see me") or the opposite ("don't come near, I'm a freak"). I have felt ashamed, although it is none of my doings. And that's a weird position, to be ashamed of something I can't even help is happening, and on top of that it's something very beautiful and divine happening...

On the retreat it became so clear what is happening... See... The human vehicle contains several bodies like the physical body, the mind (thoughts), the emotional body, the will, and even the intuition may be seen as a part of the sense perception vehicle. When identified with it, all of it is "MY SPACE". We can detach and disidentify with it all at once or part for part... I never understood that before! I have been working so much with detaching from thoughts and mind, that it never occurred to me that all the other parts of the vehicle also must be detached from.

During the retreat I started to actually SEE the emotional body, and I could detect which emotion I was currently attached to and release it. I started sensing when "MY WILL" was trying to rule the business, and the difference when I let go and IT's will took over. This let go of the will is closely connected to let go of the body.

When body moves, it is none of my will determining that. During the retreat body exploded into mudras of all types, and it walked over to person after person. I never had a clue what it was doing. The mind kept repeating "what am I doing? I don't have a clue... haven't got a clue"... And I noticed that as soon as I was drawn towards a person he or she would start telling about some painful event in his/her life... And there would be a release in the energy field by just me standing there and hearing the story. Sometimes the hands would place themselves on different chakras, and the person would feel some type of healing take place. Sometimes there was this hugging and hair stroking... Lots of kissing on the forehead of people... Lots of holding right hand up and left hand stretched out, giving blessings... tremendous heart openings would occur whenever it happened.

Yet... it felt like I was trapped in the Matrix train station because the mind was not totally surrendered, so the thoughts kept fighting, and at the same time the body was totally surrendered and I could do nothing. It was like being in a space ship and having lost control of the steering wheel. I was swooshed around all over the place to SERVE, SERVE and SERVE in anyway this body could. The feeling is of being a flute and consciousness plays it so well, so intelligently, so perfectly. Still, the mind was protesting... Very weird.

I asked Bernie about these movements and asked if there was any possibility that it was an ego thing in me as had been suggested. I said it also brought up fears and resentment in others. The answer I got... was such a relief... it was in form of a joke... the question was not even worth going any deeper into... Just keep on surrendering to IT. Be thy will. Not mine. If others REACT... then that is their reaction.

It totally made me realize the Jesus story. If this body is an instrument and played the way it is with all wavings and mudras and touching of others, then so be it. I can do nothing but continue to surrender, and my god, it is easier and easier. There is very little self-consideration left. If people will scorne me for it, then that is what I will have to accept and surrender to, for I have seen that IT is using this body for SERVING other beings in different ways, and that it is beautiful and doing good.

I am in wonder of discovering every moment who I am... what will next step bring? I haven't got a clue... and I don't want to know...

Edited by - emc on Nov 04 2008 1:57:16 PM
Go to Top of Page

CarsonZi

Canada
3189 Posts

Posted - Nov 04 2008 :  2:10:20 PM  Show Profile  Visit CarsonZi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi emc,
quote:
Originally posted by emc

It totally made me realize the Jesus story. If this body is an instrument and played the way it is with all wavings and mudras and touching of others, then so be it. I can do nothing but continue to surrender, and my god, it is easier and easier. There is very little self-consideration left. If people will scorne me for it, then that is what I will have to accept and surrender to, for I have seen that IT is using this body for SERVING other beings in different ways, and that it is beautiful and doing good.

Sounds kinda similar to what I have been going through the past couple of weeks just a bit more physical. Recently I had a complete NEED to switch jobs and get into the service industry. Not an egoic need, and not a physical or emotional need, just a divine "thrust" to put me in the the situation that God desired me to be in. I ended up getting a job working with homeless drug addicts at the main homeless shelter in my city without trying, without a resume, because I am sure it was divine will. I am not a healer, as much as I wish I was, and have never had my body spontaneously heal others, but I am finding more and more that people with "issues" are being drawn to me like flies to fly-paper (especially family members), and I find that during meditation I often end up doing spontaneous mudras and asanas. Were you having these types of experiences before the retreat or is this all pretty new for you?

Love,
Carson
Go to Top of Page

emc

2072 Posts

Posted - Nov 04 2008 :  9:40:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I have had these automatic movements since I began this journey 3 years ago, and it increased severely after my first retreat last summer when I had the realization of "I am not the body". I then was for approx 2 months afterwards in total Being, in and beyond the body vehicle. I slowly descended into mind again because I was not pure enough to see through patterns which easily caught me.

When my journey began I was also "thrown" into a new job, but I am actually employed BY former drug addicts who run a school where I teach.
Go to Top of Page

CarsonZi

Canada
3189 Posts

Posted - Nov 05 2008 :  11:03:22 AM  Show Profile  Visit CarsonZi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Were you able to teach during the two months of Total Being? Do these spontaneous movements happen with students as well?

Love,
Carson
Go to Top of Page

jillatay

USA
206 Posts

Posted - Nov 05 2008 :  11:54:02 AM  Show Profile  Visit jillatay's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by emc

I'd like to share my experiences on this. The latest year I have been very much in witness of the body moving without effort. For some reason this body is not only doing the normal activities of everyday life, it also waves its arms, forms mudras and goes into asanas. It gently strokes the hair of the person it hugs, it points at a persons chakras, it raises its hands into blessings (beaming as I sometimes have described it). I can't do anything about it but surrender to it, for the consciousness animating the body knows what it's doing...

Dear emc,
Please, where do you live? I want to come touch the hem of your garment.

Have you heard of the lady who was stepping off a bus and poof her ego vanished never to return. Your description makes it all clear to me. I know about this other acting through us. The way I see it is this other Self just doesn't have a sense of Me like our ordinary self does. Nevertheless it is Within us not some exterior entity working through us.

I look forward to having more of this stillness in action in this life.

Love to all,
Jill
Go to Top of Page

emc

2072 Posts

Posted - Nov 05 2008 :  4:29:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, life was lived as usual on the surface level. Movements occur at work also which is a bit of a challenge, since I work with former drug addicts who sort of recognize that... and they have urine tests regularly. I have never been subjected to a test, but I think they are on the verge to test me when I go into breathless states and movements...

Jillatay, we are all this stillness. Just let it take you over!
Go to Top of Page

gentlep

USA
114 Posts

Posted - Nov 14 2008 :  11:23:30 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Shanti

PS: Watch this if you have not already seen it When a Brain Scientist Suffers a Stroke

That's an interesting video. What Jill Bolte Taylor described here seems to be same as how people describe their enlightenment/awakening experience. Does that mean the people who have these experiencse have a brain hemorrhage on their left brain or somehow they had their left brain shut-off because of their practice? It would be interesting if there to be a scientific way to shut-off the left brain and then everyone can experience it without years of long and tedious practice.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000