Discussions on AYP Deep Meditation and Samyama
 Melting feeling in Samyama
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Durga

Trinidad and Tobago
5 Posts

Posted - Jun 25 2008 :  09:27:21 AM  Show Profile  Visit Durga's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
During my Samyama sessions my body feels like it is melting,as if there is no bone structure within, as a result I have started doing it lying down,so that my attention is not focused on keeping myself up and I am better able to let go and melt with my sutras. I have never had a problem with falling asleep while meditating lying down so I am not too worried about that. Is it OK to do samyama like this or should I be sitting up and resisting the melting?

Emil

Australia
141 Posts

Posted - Jun 25 2008 :  10:59:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Durga,
I think it's quite important to be sitting for your Samyama practice. There's an application of Samyama called Cosmic Samyama which is done while lying down but not the Samyama itself. You might still get some of the benefits of Samayama this way but not the full range.
Go to Top of Page

Durga

Trinidad and Tobago
5 Posts

Posted - Jun 26 2008 :  08:29:24 AM  Show Profile  Visit Durga's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Emil, I'll give it a shot again. I just found my attention drifted onto trying to keep myself up instead of comfortably flowing with the Samyama, also I get so spaced that it is hard to remember which sutras I did and how often I did them. Hopefully all this will smooth out in time, I've really only just started.
Thanks again for taking the time to reply.
Happy Day.
Go to Top of Page

jamesrgarrett

USA
11 Posts

Posted - Jun 26 2008 :  09:43:17 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Durga, I have been doing samyama for about 2 months now. I, too, have the sensation of melting, at times; although, it is more of a melting down into my heart area. It's very satisfying and I look forward to it. I do samyama seated on a chair and have never worried about falling off. Sometimes, I do samyama lying down and don't see why this would be a problem. Seems to me that it's the thought that counts. Best regards. Jim
Go to Top of Page

Durga

Trinidad and Tobago
5 Posts

Posted - Jun 26 2008 :  6:18:55 PM  Show Profile  Visit Durga's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Jim, thanks, that's exactly the feeling, melting down into my heart space but feeling as if i'm melting so much that i may disapear in there. It is a beautiful feeling but then my body also sometimes starts to slump physically and I feel as if I may topple over, that's the tricky part. I do feel alot more secure lying down so I can really melt deeply and absorb the beauty. Maybe i'll try sitting up on the bed so i'll have somewhere soft to slump onto and if the feeling gets overwhelming i can easily lay down from there.
Thanks Again,
Happy Day
Go to Top of Page

Emil

Australia
141 Posts

Posted - Jun 26 2008 :  9:05:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
James and Durga,
I think the whole sitting position has something to do with Sushumna which seems to be most active or most prone to stimulation and opening while sitting. I also do my Samyama sitting on a chair to avoid worrying about holding myself up but for the lightness sutra I try to sit in half-lotus position without back support. I learned this from my friends in TM organization. They believe that hopping up with lightness sutra only happens in lotus like pose when you're contact with surrounding is minimal and the energy circulates back in your body until eventually it goes up through Sushumna. Ofcourse the hopping up isn't the goal but (again I think) the main benefit of lightness sutra is pumping some prana up in Sushumna which leads to opening and increase in ecstatic conductivity so the more we facilitate this by sitting in the right pose the easier it happens.
Go to Top of Page

Durga

Trinidad and Tobago
5 Posts

Posted - Jun 27 2008 :  1:59:29 PM  Show Profile  Visit Durga's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for that Emil. It does make alot of sense with the sushumna needing to be upright for increased energy flow. I will keep that in mind and try to find the best position that won't have me too distracted yet allow for proper energy flow.
Thanks Again
Happy Day
Go to Top of Page

Tibetan_Ice

Canada
758 Posts

Posted - Jun 27 2008 :  6:16:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Durga

During my Samyama sessions my body feels like it is melting,as if there is no bone structure within, as a result I have started doing it lying down,so that my attention is not focused on keeping myself up and I am better able to let go and melt with my sutras. I have never had a problem with falling asleep while meditating lying down so I am not too worried about that. Is it OK to do samyama like this or should I be sitting up and resisting the melting?

quote:

Jim, thanks, that's exactly the feeling, melting down into my heart space but feeling as if i'm melting so much that i may disapear in there.

Hi Everyone,
I just read a post about a practice called The Red Sun wherein the body melts. Perhaps the Samyama approach is the slow method and The Red Sun is the fast approach?

Although this is probably an extreme type of practice and certainly not an AYP practice, it does give more understanding about the effects of prana control.

http://www.thetaobums.com/The-Red-S...e-t5902.html
quote:

OK kids,
Here is a method for quickly going into the heart and clearing what is there. Bear
in mind that it is not easy. In one session it will bring you to a threshold that is
both exciting and scary as hell.

Leave yer kung fu at the door. It can't help you here.

Enjoy.

Chris

RED SUN
by Max Christensen

This method as given to me by a hung-moon teacher in Taos, New Mexico.

Sit in a chair, feet flat with your fist closed on top of your thighs. Sit for a
moment until the mind is empty and relaxed. Imagine, in the middle dantien area, a
small, golf ball sized ball of glowing matter. This matter looks like a hot coal
from a fire. It glows and it has hot vapor around it.

See it as very real within the center of your chest.

Now inhale through your nose gently, enough so that you can hold your breath in a
neutral state (about 2/3 of capacity). After the inhalation, swallow hard with a
gulping sound, tuck your chin, but keep the spine and neck aligned.

Slightly tighten the anus, so energy doesn't leak, now hold the breath neutrally.
You will feel like your air will dissipate quickly, so if this happens inhale tiny
amount of air, to get the neutral feeling. If you over-inflated, blow some air out.

As you are running out of air, relax.

You will begin to feel this implosive, shrinking feeling as your lungs convulse for
air. The energy will begin to ping-pong up and down in your chest. It may feel like
you are going to die, but you won't. Relax more and with your mind, see the coal
getting brighter and brighter, hotter and hotter, so when you feel you can't hold it
anymore, say to yourself, melt, melt, see the heat melt the body.

If you can hang in this state and keep melting more and more each time the (death)
feeling hits, you may feel like you are going to transition over into another
energetic form.

If you do it right, an orgasmic hiccup and a surge of intense bliss arises. After
this, exhale slowly through the mouth and repeat twice more, but only inhale once
between sets or youll lose the effect.

This opens the deepest part of the emotions, so be prepared and do not do this more
than twice a month......carefully.

See if you can break the barrier.

Max

TI
Go to Top of Page

kadak

79 Posts

Posted - Jun 27 2008 :  8:55:32 PM  Show Profile  Visit kadak's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi

I did something like this during a long time, so I can tell you the result. If your central channel is tight, nothing will happen, maybe you will pee on your chair because the perineum muscles will let you down by lack of oxygen. If your central channel is open enough, the winds will enter in it, dissolve brutally in the head, and you will have terrible headaches, because the channels of the head are not prepared to such a treatment. The dissolving winds always hit the head (the brain), so you have to prepare the channels by dripping the white drop. The last time I did 90s khumbaka one after the other, I had 3 days headache, so I won't do it again. That's the fastest way to obtain quickly clear light of meditation, but if unprepared, you mess up the channels.
Go to Top of Page

Durga

Trinidad and Tobago
5 Posts

Posted - Jun 28 2008 :  2:44:07 PM  Show Profile  Visit Durga's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
That seems pretty intense. I think i'll just stick with the AYP approach, and move into it the gentle way.
Thanks for the info. though.
Happy Day
Durga
Go to Top of Page

Tibetan_Ice

Canada
758 Posts

Posted - Jun 28 2008 :  7:05:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by kadak

Hi

I did something like this during a long time, so I can tell you the result. If your central channel is tight, nothing will happen, maybe you will pee on your chair because the perineum muscles will let you down by lack of oxygen. If your central channel is open enough, the winds will enter in it, dissolve brutally in the head, and you will have terrible headaches, because the channels of the head are not prepared to such a treatment. The dissolving winds always hit the head (the brain), so you have to prepare the channels by dripping the white drop. The last time I did 90s khumbaka one after the other, I had 3 days headache, so I won't do it again. That's the fastest way to obtain quickly clear light of meditation, but if unprepared, you mess up the channels.

Hi Kadak
when you tried that practice did you do the neck lock? That is supposed to stop the dissolving winds from entering the head..
TI
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000