Bhakti and Karma Yoga
 Understanding
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Katrine

Norway
1813 Posts

Posted - Apr 15 2008 :  11:32:17 AM  Show Profile  Visit Katrine's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Something dawned on me.....during the discussion in the ”On looking” thread.
It has to do with

UNDERSTANDING

I pondered the shift I was describing.....going from "the more I understand, the more I love" to "the more I love, the more I understand".
Something stirred inside.....and it is gradually becoming clear.

Whenever life makes me aware of the ways I block myself to reality (which is triggered by the belief in illusion).....it is always followed by this clear feeling of release.....of being unburdened. So far, I have always labelled the process leading to this unburdening as part of the understanding. As if it is a kind of....timebound knowledge.....that itself is the understanding.
But this is not so! Understanding is not knowledge. It is not the knowledge of the workings within me that is the understanding.

The understanding is first and foremost an aspect of the power that has it in itself to create all this illusion. And uncreate it!

Therefore I had to become familiar with death. I am so glad I went through the cancer......that I had to face death for many years.

The understanding is also what happens with the release of the block. Understanding is an aspect of the open space cleared of the clutter. As wetness is an aspect of water. Understanding is the not knowing – to the mind! It is the emptiness itself.....the clarity of the space. That is why it is so important to develop inner silence. It is the power of the space that finally seeps through and dissolves the block.

Understanding always implies a death. It is of course the identification with the illusion that dies; but when identified I don't know this. So I grasp for so called security instead.

Luckily - there is love......

No wonder love follows understanding; I mean....what else can it do? Love is always where deep emptiness is. Understanding and love are just the wetness of the very same reality. As the juice and the color orange is the very same orange....

And it is like this with the truth and the false also. I don’t have to see them as separate; truth on one side and the false on the other. It is enough that the truth in the false is seen. This way, I am naturally drawn to only respond to truth, and simply leave the false to itself. To not mind it.

For years and years I have occupied myself with the false – in order to understand what is true. Awareness was on the lies within. So much of my attention was on that which is not true. I actually thought I could clear the false away in this manner. But I cannot! It is an endless task that always perpetuates itself.....if I look for the false, if I expect the false, then the false is what I will see.

Now...
The many empty spaces......are finally connecting with each other. Hence the feeling of love being here first. The instant I love, I also understand.

Love is simply understanding. That is why the shine feels so tremendously compassionate. It just......understands everything!

Nothing should however have been different in the process of coming home for me. This is my individual make-up. The Jnana approach (which I have come to know the name of through AYP and you wonderful people here in the forum) was exactly the right one for me. How else could I have managed on my own for all those years?

But......I am most cut out for understanding through love. I love so much.....that it hurts. And I don’t want it to be any other way.

Because the capacity for Joy is so great

I want to thank all of you for being here with me

emc

2072 Posts

Posted - Apr 15 2008 :  3:35:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for a lovely post, Katrine! I let myself expand in the opening it brings!

quote:
For years and years I have occupied myself with the false – in order to understand what is true. Awareness was on the lies within. So much of my attention was on that which is not true. I actually thought I could clear the false away in this manner. But I cannot! It is an endless task that always perpetuates itself.....if I look for the false, if I expect the false, then the false is what I will see.

This makes me associate to Katie's constant question "Is that true?" At first, when working with her method we might believe it's about realizing a false assumption about how some event or situation really is, thus a mere psychological reprogramming widening the perspective. But it's much more than that. That question is not directed to the mind - it's there to wake up the consciousness to itself by constantly drawing the attention to see the "truth in the false" as you express it! (It's just a bonus that it ALSO reprograms the psychological mind to be a bit more nice to have as a companion!)

It's a huge intelligence we find in Truth!
Go to Top of Page

yogani

USA
5201 Posts

Posted - Apr 15 2008 :  3:57:21 PM  Show Profile  Visit yogani's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Katrine:

Very beautiful. Isn't it wonderful how understanding resides beyond ideas in the radiance of love? It is not a process of mind, but an Ahhhh...

It is not something the intellect can grasp, but we know it when we feel it -- presence in silent radiance -- all-knowing, all loving. That's it, and we just continue to go about our business, and there is no separation. As soon as we draw conclusions, normal activity stops, and so does union.

I have been corresponding with someone recently about the Self-Inquiry book, and the same kind of thing came up. We were discussing the "idea handles" that are provided in the book to aid in "understanding" the complex process of inquiry melting in stillness, even as normal functioning in the world continues.

Strangely, people who read the book find openings happening according to their need. Nothing I ever could anticipate. Yet, it happens. We consider a few ideas related to the process of self-inquiry occurring in stillness, and when we "understand," the ideas are gone, replaced with loving radiance. So the Self-Inquiry book isn't about ideas at all.

Go figure. On second thought, don't bother. Just meditate, go out and do, and enjoy!

Your lovely sharing reminded me of this. It is all around us. It is what we are.

The guru is in you.

Go to Top of Page

Katrine

Norway
1813 Posts

Posted - Apr 15 2008 :  4:05:00 PM  Show Profile  Visit Katrine's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi emc

I am thrilled that our openings touch each other

quote:
This makes me associate to Katie's constant question "Is that true?" At first, when working with her method we might believe it's about realizing a false assumption about how some event or situation really is, thus a mere psychological reprogramming widening the perspective. But it's much more than that. That question is not directed to the mind - it's there to wake up the consciousness to itself by constantly drawing the attention to see the "truth in the false" as you express it! (It's just a bonus that it ALSO reprograms the psychological mind to be a bit more nice to have as a companion!)

Yes
I always found Katie to be like a razor. To me that is true compassion. It is what engenders freedom in man. Independence. She never lets the mind indulge in itself. The result being that at the same time as seeing the truth in the false (which is the instant we become quiet....almost shocked/surprised to quietude ) - at that very time we are also being it. And that is why there is so much love present when in touch with her.

I never met her in person.
But her presence crept off the pages and seeped through my skin when I first read her book (about 7 years ago). Instant Joy is what I remember most from that encounter.

Emc - I see you twinkle in the sky
Go to Top of Page

emc

2072 Posts

Posted - Apr 15 2008 :  4:09:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Aaaahh.... !
Go to Top of Page

Katrine

Norway
1813 Posts

Posted - Apr 15 2008 :  4:39:54 PM  Show Profile  Visit Katrine's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Yogani

We posted at the same time

quote:
We consider a few ideas related to the process of self-inquiry occurring in stillness, and when we "understand," the ideas are gone, replaced with loving radiance. So the Self-Inquiry book isn't about ideas at all.

Yes .....that is so beautiful, Yogani. That through white paper and black words......you managed to let silence stand out the most.

quote:
As soon as we draw conclusions, normal activity stops, and so does union.

Yes.....it has taken long....to see this. And yet - every time I encountered this setting...and begun to see - all it took was one empty instant Such simplicity in this intelligence that we call life......always overlooked by our grasping minds. And yet somehow always received and released by an open mind.

quote:
Very beautiful. Isn't it wonderful how understanding resides beyond ideas in the radiance of love? It is not a process of mind, but an Ahhhh

Yes
So now I let go of this understanding too

Much love to you
from the guru within
Go to Top of Page

VIL

USA
586 Posts

Posted - Apr 29 2008 :  12:14:05 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
yogani: Go figure. On second thought, don't bother.

VIL
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000