Yamas & Niyamas - Restraints & Observances
 Yama and Niyama
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

brushjw

USA
191 Posts

Posted - Mar 16 2008 :  10:58:42 PM  Show Profile  Visit brushjw's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
This is how my meditative absorption on the Sound of Silence has progressed:

1. A sound of ringing in my ears. At first (2-1/2 years ago) I described it as similar to crickets or being close to a high power electrical line.
2. The sound grew in complexity - concentration revealed it was composed of many elements.
3. The sound developed into a symphony.
4. I began to taste a coppery taste in my mouth. I did not like this and resisted it for about a year.
5. A feeling of movement in the roof of my mouth.
6. The energy/sound became more tangible - "buttery"
7. The energy moved higher in my head.
8. The current

For a while I've been describing to myself the energy as a "current", a phrase I borrowed from Franklin Merrell-Wolff in his book Pathways Through To Space. The book begins with "[t]he ineffable transition" (i.e. enlightenment). I have not experienced anything close to what Merrell-Wolff did but some of his language describes my experiences better than I can:

"My breath had changed, but not in the sense of stopping or becoming extremely slow or rapid. It was, perhaps, just a little slower than normal. The notable change was in a subtle quality associated with the air breathed. Over and above the physical gases of the air there seemed to be an impalpable substance of indescribable sweetness which, in turn, was associated with a general sense of well-being, embracing even the physical man. It was like happiness or joy, but these words are inadequate. It was of a very gentle quality, yet far transcended the value of any of the more familiar forms of happiness... introspective analysis revealed the fact that the elixir-like quality was most marked during the exhalation, thus indicting that it was not derived from the surrounding air. Further, the exhaled breath was not simply air expelled into the outer atmosphere, but seemed to penetrate down through the whole organism like a gentle caress, leaving throughout a quiet sense of delight." (p. 2)

I experienced something similar to this today. Merrell-Wolff even offers what may be an explanation for my recent tiredness and increased need for sleep:

"The aftereffect of this surprisingly gentle Current, with all Its exquisite delight, is a feeling of intngible tiredness in the body, somewhat like that which would be experienced after a period of protracted pain. Physical effort is difficult. The reason for this seems to be evident. One effect of the Current is clearly purifying, and this action upon the matter of the body is something of an ordeal. There is no emotional nor intellectual discomfort, save that without the Current the world seems barren." (p.6)

Or, as Yogani would say, purification.

I have been going through a somewhat protracted dark night of the soul. I think this may be because my ability to concentrate on meditative absorption has leapfrogged my ability to dissolve my karmic traces.

Patanjali mapped the stages of a yogi to enlightenment. Up until three years ago I was living a lifestyle completely the opposite of that suggested of a yogi (and I wasn't meditating). Now I am paying the karmic price. Yama and Niyama are more than a good idea -they're an essential part of the path.

aum namaste,
Joe

VIL

USA
586 Posts

Posted - Mar 17 2008 :  01:15:48 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hey, Joe, I really enjoyed your post and have the sweetness of breath also and the cool sensation on the top of the head. I agree that Yamas and Niyamas are very important and I'm learning to do this too and not to use people as negative/positive charges for sutras even though intention is good. Yamas and Niyamas always apply and I'm learning, albeit slowly. I'm working on this to find a healthy balance.

Take care:

VIL
Go to Top of Page

yogani

USA
5201 Posts

Posted - Mar 17 2008 :  1:36:16 PM  Show Profile  Visit yogani's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by brushjw

I have been going through a somewhat protracted dark night of the soul. I think this may be because my ability to concentrate on meditative absorption has leapfrogged my ability to dissolve my karmic traces.

Hi Joe:

Remember to self-pace in all things as necessary (including bhakti), to maintain good progress with safety. Sometimes the best thing to do is just go out and dig in the dirt (or equivalent) for a while for some solid grounding. Everyone deserves a break once in a while.

Our rising awareness of yama and niyama (restraints and observances in conduct) is a direct result of bhakti and our daily practices. It is suggested to approach matters of conduct with gentleness as and when it feels natural. Forced conduct is not much help on the spiritual path, and can in fact have the opposite effect if it becomes obsessive. This is the main risk in overdoing yama/niyama.

It does not look like that is where you are coming from. Sitting practices will lead to yama/niyama much more assuredly than the other way around, as your experience indicates. As yama/niyama is coming up, there will be some clunky stages involved. It goes with the territory. So be kind to yourself and take your time.

Btw, karma will not go away. It will be transformed to higher purpose through your inner silence and increasingly inspired actions. All that has been sour and dark will become sweet and luminous.

All the best!

The guru is in you.
Go to Top of Page

Maximus

India
187 Posts

Posted - Mar 18 2008 :  09:06:21 AM  Show Profile  Visit Maximus's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
It is suggested to approach matters of conduct with gentleness as and when it feels natural. Forced conduct is not much help on the spiritual path, and can in fact have the opposite effect if it becomes obsessive.

Hi Yogani
But doesn't Patanjali say to practice continous non-attachment without a break? I take conduct to mean how we handle fears, attractions and aversions.
Go to Top of Page

yogani

USA
5201 Posts

Posted - Mar 18 2008 :  11:08:47 AM  Show Profile  Visit yogani's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Maximus

quote:
It is suggested to approach matters of conduct with gentleness as and when it feels natural. Forced conduct is not much help on the spiritual path, and can in fact have the opposite effect if it becomes obsessive.

Hi Yogani
But doesn't Patanjali say to practice continous non-attachment without a break? I take conduct to mean how we handle fears, attractions and aversions.

Hi Maximus:

Times have changed considerably since Patanjali's day. The order of the eight limbs of yoga can be approached in different ways to optimize results. The "yama/niyama first" approach is a difficult path, as anyone who has tried it knows. Btw, practicing "non-attachment" is a form of self-inquiry. In the language of the AYP Self-Inquiry book, it will be "non-relational" without the presence of abiding inner silence, the witness. Non-relational is mind playing on mind, which does little to cultivate inner silence and spiritual progress. It can be a strain and create obstructions to progress. That is what I meant.

The suggestion is to do deep meditation daily and take it easy in our thinking and doing, keeping active each day, favoring what we know is right conduct (this awareness will expand with time in practices). Then the integration of stillness will come naturally, and everything we do will become "relational," meaning, performed in stillness. Then the flow into yama/niyama (spiritual conduct) will be easy.

We can't consistently think our way past fears, attractions and aversions, but we can permanently dissolve them in our abiding silent witness. That is the key point. It is a process of purification and opening in our nervous system, best undertaken in a balanced way.

The issue brought up by Joe at the beginning of this topic has more to do with self-pacing in practices and grounding in daily activity than with yama/niyama. Adding regimented conduct (mental or physical) on top of an uncomfortable energy excess is not going to help much -- might even make the energy excess worse, since parts of niyama are focused on more intense bhakti and more spiritual stimulation! Self-pacing and grounding are the ticket when things are getting to be too much. This is not anti-yama/niyama. It is just putting the emphasis where it is needed to deal with circumstances in the moment, which is what we should always be doing on our path.

The guru is in you.
Go to Top of Page

yogibear

409 Posts

Posted - Mar 19 2008 :  7:55:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi you guys,

quote:
Yogani wrote:

The suggestion is to do deep meditation daily and take it easy in our thinking and doing, keeping active each day, favoring what we know is right conduct (this awareness will expand with time in practices). Then the integration of stillness will come naturally, and everything we do will become "relational," meaning, performed in stillness. Then the flow into yama/niyama (spiritual conduct) will be easy.

The manifestation of the Self in a human being is Stillness in action = Wisdom = ethical behavior = yama and niyama.

More of one equals more of the others.

The thought just struck me so I thought I would write it down.

Best, yb.

Go to Top of Page

brushjw

USA
191 Posts

Posted - Mar 20 2008 :  2:31:34 PM  Show Profile  Visit brushjw's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Yogani,

Thank you for your responses. I read in a lesson that it "breaks [your] heart" when you hear of others' kundalini problems so I know you're coming from a place of compassion and love. Namaste.

I spent a good half hour on the last two paragraphs of my 16 March post and still didn't do a good job of communicating. Let me try putting another stake in the sand.

During the day I regularly practice what I just learned is Laya Yoga, the "absorption of the mind in sound." The SoS began occurring spontaneously some three years ago. As soon as I learned that the SoS was a blessing bestowed and not a form of mental illness I have become increasingly absorbed in the sound, as I detailed in my earlier post.

Swami Rama states that "These internal sounds can be heard only by those whose nadis are free from impurities and who are well practiced in pranayama. The anahata sound comes from sushumna, and, as with other sounds, it cannot be heard by the aspirant until this nadi is free from all impurities. Thus the practice of concentration and absorption with nada (sound) is only possible after considerable preparation." (emphasis added)

I did not have this preparation and perhaps that can help explain my feelings of despair. The ecstasy I can explain but ecstasy and despair seem mutually exclusive.

"We can endure anything if there is a goal and a reason. This belief in a larger purpose is the most important factor in people keeping it together under crisis."
from The Biology of Kundalini

aum namaste,
Joe
Go to Top of Page

brushjw

USA
191 Posts

Posted - Mar 20 2008 :  2:43:04 PM  Show Profile  Visit brushjw's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Yikes, I did it again.

Having said all that, I have purchased the Advanced Yoga Practices book and am beginning again from Lesson 10. I'll scale back my practices until they're more comfortable.

aum namaste,
Joe
Go to Top of Page

brushjw

USA
191 Posts

Posted - Apr 17 2008 :  9:30:39 PM  Show Profile  Visit brushjw's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I'd like to clarify what I previously posted on karmic traces.
quote:

"Karmic traces are the results of actions, which remain in the mental consciousness and influence our future... They are inclinations, patterns of internal and external behavior, ingrained reactions to situations and our intellectual understandings as well as our characteristic emotional habits and intellectual rigidities. They create and condition every response we normally have to every element of our experience."
The Tibetan Yogas of Dream and Sleep by Tenzin Wangyal Rinpoche

Meditation is one of the most effective ways of dissolving karmic traces, or, to put it another way, changing our reactions to situations. Just by observing our thoughts and emotions, letting them go and gently going back to the mantra we change. But it's not that easy, as most of us know. Personally, I have told myself that I would do anything not to have a particular memory or not feel a painful feeling. My behaviors (as a result of karmic traces) in avoiding difficult memories and emotions (karma) led to the above post.

Certain traditions of Buddhism, for example Zazen, enforce extremely strict meditation technique. In theory this would be the quickest way to dissolve karmic traces and reach the Buddha within. But out of the countless millions upon millions who have practiced, how many have achieved enlightenment? Yogani is right: the time has come for change. I may fuss and do things my way, but I'm slowly learning that if I take Yogani's advice, it works.

"Over time, as the obstructions are removed, we find more and more peaceful silence in our daily lives." (from Lesson 15)

Namaste, Yogani, and thank you.

Joe

Edited by - brushjw on Apr 17 2008 9:54:16 PM
Go to Top of Page

VIL

USA
586 Posts

Posted - Apr 18 2008 :  12:05:07 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Joe: Personally, I have told myself that I would do anything not to have a particular memory or not feel a painful feeling. My behaviors (as a result of karmic traces) in avoiding difficult memories and emotions (karma) led to the above post.

Ah the mind... so much fun... never knowing what to do with itself... never knowing when to just relax and take it easy...

What if it's something as beautiful and relaxing and refreshing as the early morning sun peeking between two mountain tops.... Something so relaxing and soothing knowing that it has nothing to do with a repressed memory... or a painful feeling... or this... or that... or the other thing...

A crisp morning breeze, your bare toes tickled by fresh cut grass, a dogs tongue... maybe some early morning dew... a fire ant (LOL:)... just enjoying the scenery... being present with it...

What if it's just learning to patiently wait for this beautiful morning sun to rise... to silently enjoy the process... take a sip of juice... relish the taste... inhale the beauty of the sunrise... you know? Something so simple that the mind failed to grasp the beauty of this simplicity...

What if it is just that, (patience), since the mind cannot grasp such a thing, patience or love... or joy... or faith... or silence... So it has to be something else that we're not doing right or maybe it's something that we're doing wrong...

So maybe just being, and trusting that God (or our chosen Ideal) knows what we need when we need it is the easier lesson that needs to be understood before we can realize the beauty of our true selves. Nothing to do with the mind or the past or an emotion or any of the other habitual filler the mind is used to occupying itself with... (as yogani stated, practices will naturally undo)

quote:
yogani: "Over time, as the obstructions are removed, we find more and more peaceful silence in our daily lives."

Namaste:

VIL

P.S. Written in Katrine-like style... peaceful... soothing... open...:

My way (LOL):

Patience cannot be learned or mentally produced. Something to contemplate and gently release and unburden some weight off of our shoulders. A little faith in God or whatever chosen Ideal, that we have, that things will be taken care of and He/She knows what we need. Faith doesn't mean living in the future, since true faith means complete presense and cannot be produced, but will be realized the more we are present. A good example is if someone says that they'll give a penny tomorrow and we never doubt this and just let it go, now if it was million bucks habitual mental habits will certainly overcome, unless we view both the same.

Anyway, just another perspective...

Edited by - VIL on Apr 18 2008 12:58:27 AM
Go to Top of Page

brushjw

USA
191 Posts

Posted - Apr 23 2008 :  5:51:05 PM  Show Profile  Visit brushjw's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
ecstasy and despair seem mutually exclusive.
Now that I have some distance from this experience it's easy for me to see that the ecstasy is a result of the technique and the despair a result of purification (pain) plus unwillingness to feel the pain/thinking that it would never end (suffering). It did end and the bliss remains and deepens.

namaste,
Joe
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000