AYPsite.org Forum
 Satsang Cafe - General Discussions on AYP
 Dear Yogibear
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Cyberboy

8 Posts

Posted - Feb 07 2008 :  11:45:58 PM  Show Profile  Visit Cyberboy's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Hehe, sorry, I had to get your attention somehow.

When you mentioned that you liked the Hatha Yoga Pradipika book by the BYS, I was wondering if you have read Ajita’s version of the Hatha Yoga Pradipika?

He says that he has discovered the true meaning of what Svatmarama meant when he wrote the Hatha Yoga Pradipika, and of course how to apply it.

It is available for free download of the Raja Yoga Institutes site http://www.xs4all.nl/~rajayoga/EN/ under “The Keys to Immortality”, so just thought if you have not read his version, then maybe yourself and others may enjoy the read.

I don’t know about the validation of Ajita’s information, however he seems to be a respected member of the International Federation of Yoga and the World Yoga Council, so if what he is saying is true, then it seems like a yogic breakthrough.

L&L

Katrine

Norway
1813 Posts

Posted - Feb 08 2008 :  02:31:51 AM  Show Profile  Visit Katrine's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi cyberboy
Sorry for not being yogibear

Thanks for the link.
I will read it later (am at work now).....but i wanted to ask you about the very first sentence on Ajitas site:

quote:
Yoga is not about relaxation, but about control of life

I know nothing of yoga (other than the outline of the eight steps), so please take that into consideration.....but I love life. And if it is anything life has taught me; it is that only through complete inner relaxation can I melt with the loveshine. To try to control myself (read "body", "my life", "mind", "heart") never worked. On the contrary - the harder I tried, the more separate I got.

That is why I love meditation so.
Through deep meditation it has become bearable to not control. To accept the very place I am at. It is not about laziness. On the contrary....it is about taking full responsibility for loving whatever it is that life brings me into contact with...be it people, places, flowers, trees, birds, dogs, houses......everything. To act responsible. Not necessarily sensibly.....but responsibly. It is not I that love. Love cannot be "done". But through a full inner relaxation.....love can come through unhindered.

Love has its own way......not fathomable.

There is no limit to love.
There is no "end goal".......more love can always stream through...

Anyway....I just had to say this.....I'll go back to work now. And later on i will read the site properly.

Thank you again.

Go to Top of Page

Cyberboy

8 Posts

Posted - Feb 08 2008 :  04:41:08 AM  Show Profile  Visit Cyberboy's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Katrina,

Thanks for sharing your thoughts, I think you described the greatest lesson of all pretty much perfectly. I know what you mean, about controlling life, or relaxing and allowing life to unfold, the so called Witness State, yet another paradox of the Path, and I must say, every time I tried to control out comes and events, well, it just back fired until I learnt the grand lesson of learning to let go into freedom, so, a beautiful insight of truth that you wrote there indeed, I understand why you would write that, letting go was the greatest thing I ever did for my nervous system hehe.

I think from a yoga perspective and what is actually happening in the energy system, when the base chakra is open we have finally developed the trust and faith to let go (or have let go long ago hehe) and if I am correct, I think that is called living in Grace and not survival-adrenal mode in the physical, and finally all that we need in the physical is provided by Grace.

Well, thanks again, peace.

L&L

P.S Ajita writes that when we control the flow of energy through the Candra Bindu and the Surya Bindu (moon and sun points, the crown and the perineum) that we can gain total control of the energy of life. The explanation on his philosophy is under the download link “Subtle Anatomy”, outside of that, I really don’t understand what he means by Yoga is not about relaxation.
Go to Top of Page

yogani

USA
5201 Posts

Posted - Feb 08 2008 :  09:55:02 AM  Show Profile  Visit yogani's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Cyberboy, and welcome!

I'm not YB either, but would like to mention that Ajita visited the AYP forums briefly a couple of years ago. You can find his posts with associated discussion here: http://www.aypsite.org/forum/pop_pr...splay&id=342

As I recall, we did not mesh very well, due mainly to what you are discussing above -- control for control's sake, versus control for the sake of release into pure bliss consciousness, or, as Katrine loves to call it, "the shine." No control in that. We sometimes call it "active surrender." Doing something to be doing nothing, which is doing everything.

The other thing I recall is that with all that structure and control, it was not clear at the time what Ajita's recommended daily routine of practice was. Perhaps he has refined and simplified (or made more public) his approach since then. Hopefully...

And in the immortal words of Joe Walsh (from his opus magnum -- Life's been good to me so far):
"People tell me I'm lazy, but it takes all my time..."

If it isn't relaxed, or leading to relaxed, it isn't IT.

All the best on your chosen path. Practice wisely, and enjoy!

The guru is in you.
Go to Top of Page

yogibear

409 Posts

Posted - Feb 08 2008 :  10:11:19 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Cyberboy,

quote:
Cyberboy wrote:
Hehe, sorry, I had to get your attention somehow.

I am yb and you got my attention. Very creative.

Thanks for the link, Cyberboy. I am not familiar with this version. I will look at it.

Thanks again, yb.

PS: I just looked at the home page and the first sentence:

"Yoga is not about relaxation, but about control of life."

My initial thought is that it is about relaxed control. I will write a little more about that later.

Edited by - yogibear on Feb 08 2008 10:37:32 AM
Go to Top of Page

Cyberboy

8 Posts

Posted - Feb 09 2008 :  12:47:40 AM  Show Profile  Visit Cyberboy's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Yogani,

Thank you for the welcome and the link. Actually thank you for documenting a “Open System” of the Path of Enlightenment, I have not purchased the AYP series yet, but already my intuition is doing back flips with excitement, so, shall be training with a teacher from the Bihar school, and following your Teachings as well, seems perfect for westerners, so, truly, with folded hands, thank you indeed.

I had the opportunity to speak with a Liberated teacher once and he was saying that at the start of the Path, the doer is doing all that has to be done to walk the Path, then upon realization, one realizers (or, no one I guess) that there was no doer to even walk the Path, so, I understand why you would say that if it is not leading to non doing and letting go then it isn’t "it".

Would this maybe be the crux of the paradox of the doer, that maybe when at the start of the Path, we believe still that we are the doer, hence why we need to do the exercises and routines until the ego is dissolved and there is no more doer to do anything at all?

L&L

P.S O.k., thanks Yogibear shall look forward to your insights of this paradox of paradoxes.
Go to Top of Page

yogibear

409 Posts

Posted - Feb 11 2008 :  08:36:36 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Cyberboy and Katrine,
I was talking with a friend a few years ago. My friend kept telling me that I had to read Tolle and finally I did and understood why. I was telling him that I had figured out something. It was that when I was acting as origination point in life, and I tried to force things, it created problems. And that when I was acting as receipt point, if I tried to resist, it created problems. So, in just reading this thread I connected a thought that I have been having lately and that is that I am a point (witness) viewing in the AYP cyber space (just a joke to myself).

Two different fundamental phases of ......me.

The view point in its sensory and motor states.

Well, my point is, I had been wrestling with this idea of control versus no control or force versus resistance and trying to reconcile the two for some time. Because there is an opposite point of view on the letting go. It has to do with what I had come to recognize as hard style versus soft style meditation techniques, i.e., control of the mind versus no control of the mind.

Katrine wrote: To try to control myself (read "body", "my life", "mind", "heart") never worked. On the contrary - the harder I tried, the more separate I got.

I think one control that works is acceptance. If you have an impulse to do something contrary to your bhakti, you control it by not resisting it. You acknowledge it. You accept it. You let it go. If you fight it, you strengthen it.

This is the description from Yesudian and Haich's book Yoga and Health of their beginner instruction in meditation:

"Hatha Yoga exercises teach us absolute control over the body and energy dwelling with it. Among the exercises contained in the following tables, we find the ninth in each list is always followed by Savasana. This ninth exercise is intended to help us discipline out thoughts. When we are awake, the seat consciousness is in the brain. Now we must force it to withdraw for a few minutes and leave our organs of thought completely empty. Our mental centre normally rests only during sleep when mother nature enables this extremely important energy reservoir to be liberated from its usual tasks.

We sit in padmasana, 'turn off' our thoughts, concentrate on our heart, and regulate our breathing until it is slow and regular. Our spine is held straight, and we experience perfect peace. We focus our attention on our heart and feel as if we were 'going into' it. Leaving our troubles at the threshold, we radiate perfect peace and quiet... Let us take care that no other thought disturbs us.

We should practise this daily five to ten minutes! This is particularly useful and necessary for people in the occident with an excessively active way of living.

With peace in our heart, we lie on our back and always conclude our exercises with Savasana."

This I call hard style meditation because it involves determination and purposefuleffort to stay present. But what I found was that instead of resisting, if I just ignored the thoughts ( something like, Ok, I see you but I am busy right now and can’t pay attention to you at the moment, do what you want; I guess you would just call it ignoring, it wasn’t letting go) and volitionally maintained concentration on my heart (I found I could do both at the same time or at least the switching back and forth occurred very quickly), I could do it and I found that I was establishing what I would call an active witness state that was both observational as well as volitional which translated well into, and became useful, in daily life. This became an “effortless effort” in time.

Maybe in hard style, ignoring is the equivalent of soft style letting go.

In soft style, letting go leads to concentration and in hardstyle, concentration leads to letting go. I think that is it.

I also noticed that my awareness would expand spontaneously during this exercise and my concentration would remain focused on my heart within a field of expanded awareness and silence which developed a kind of force field feeling around me.

However, my consciousness and belief system were not dimensioned for and developed enough at that time to smoothly incorporate the higher state I experienced after several months of perfect discipline and practice.

Yogani's book Self Inquiry has helped me to see that this is valid, that the witness is not just a passive condition of choiceless awareness from the likes of Krishnamurti and Tolle. Don’t get me wrong. I like their stuff very much. I just have to keep it in perspective.

But they don’t really address who it is that keeps going unconscious and returning to being conscious again. I got the impression that it was two different entities, one desirable and the other not. Kind of like the devil on one shoulder and the angel on the other.

But really it is just two different conditions of the same thing....me.

From my point of view they could do a better job of clarifying it. I think it is an extremely important point. It was at least for me.

This was always confusing to me. It always seemed like you were either the witness or the ego, not both, and the ego was to be done away with. But if you did away with the ego, there could be no action. The ego was the active one and the witness was just detached choiceless awareness with out any volition. But ego is bad. So action is bad. It is, ahem, “unspiritual.” But you have to act. This identity conundrum is not a healthy one for functioning correctly in the world.

And it is not true, either. My mistake.

Soft style meditation, of which AYP, TM and Swami Rama are the ones that I am most aware of, do not volitionally try to maintain presence like hard style meditation. Hey, you are lost in thought? No problem. Just gently favor the mantra. This is part of hard style meditation, too, because this is inevitable, getting lost in thought I mean. But the soft style lacks the conscious deliberate determined effort to maintain presence and fight off or ignore unconsciousness.

Correct me if I misunderstand, Yogani.

This, combined with the choiceless awareness thing, didn't work well for me because it made me too passive in life (my misunderstanding). But now I get it.

Yogani, can you explain what you mean by “control for release into pure bliss consciousness? “

And I think that the best yardsticks for how you are doing are:

Are you meditiating 2x per day on a steady basis?

And, are you fully engaged on all levels in your daily living?

If not, you can inquire as to why not and fix it.

What I like about Yogani’s model or conceptual framework is the wise selection of importances from all the different pieces of yoga data floating around out there that you could choose to emphasize.
A slight shift in emphasis, a slight misunderstanding, can mean the difference between staying on the right course or veering off into the ditch or taking a wrong turn.
This is where Yogani excels. In clear language, he outlines the game plan of what we need to do steadily progress into higher and higher states of consciousness and win the game. And winning is not a negation of yourself. After all, if there is nothing in it for me, what the heck am I doing this for? I ask you?
The emphasis is on self pacing and maintaining a steady practice above all else, because as he says, it is practice that creates experiences, not vice versa.
You gotta keep your eye on the ball and the ball is not experiences, the ball is steady practice.
He creates the necessary map that will allow steady progress towards your goal of peace and happiness on all levels.
He explains the growth of the self in a way that has real world applicability.

Well, Cyberboy and Katrine, your posts made me think of these things. I offer them for perusal.

Best wishes, yb.

Edited by - yogibear on Feb 11 2008 10:20:59 AM
Go to Top of Page

yogani

USA
5201 Posts

Posted - Feb 11 2008 :  11:38:09 AM  Show Profile  Visit yogani's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by yogibear

Yogani, can you explain what you mean by “control for release into pure bliss consciousness? “

Hi YB:

Did I say that?

In deep meditation, it is an easy procedure that favors some activity in the mind without a direction specified. The mantra is only a vibration, not a direction. When brought back to this condition repeatedly, the attention naturally goes beyond mind to underlying inner silence, also called pure bliss consciousness. So we do not "control" the process of meditation. We only create the condition in the mind for it to happen naturally. "Meditation" (dhyana) is the natural process of attention dissolving when placed on an object (dharana) to absorption in inner silence (samadhi). It is this natural process we are facilitating in deep meditation.

Then, in daily activity, we begin to find an increasing degree of resident inner silence, and gradually all objects become associated with that stillness, which is becoming our sense of self. This is when self-inquiry methods become most useful, or "relational," when there is a relationship developing between inner silence (the witness) and our thoughts, feelings and the external environment. Then life is becoming filled with peace, energy, creativity and happiness, with more and more outpouring divine love leading to unity.

So, if this control, it is only of the efficient levers of letting go. To try and control all this with the mind is a much tougher slog. Nature knows how to do it much better. It always boils down to surrender to That.

It is only a matter of doing something that leads us systematically to doing nothing, even while we are doing everything.

The guru is in you.
Go to Top of Page

yogibear

409 Posts

Posted - Feb 12 2008 :  08:19:07 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Yogani,

quote:
Yogani wrote:

So, if this control, it is only of the efficient levers of letting go.

Until the process of letting go becomes an automatic habit of the mind.

I like the idea of letting thoughts go into the silence rather than just letting go.

Since the thoughts have a contracting effect on attention, this leads to an automatic expansion of attention.

Is there no attention in Samadhi? My concept is that it is a state of supreme alertness, awareness and aliveness. Is it attention without an object? What do you mean by absorption? Absorption in bliss?

I have been watching the process more closely and perhaps what you are controlling is the tendency of the witness to fuse with unconsciousness rather than simply witness it as mindstuff. And when you can get behind this tendency, you have continuous presence. But isn't that attention?

Just a side note with regards to control.

I have a simple definition of control. It is actually from Scientology. It is: start, change, stop. It is also called a "cycle of action." It is performed in a "unit of time." You get into the car and turn the ignition. That is start. You drive the car to your destination. That is change. You park the car and turn off the engine. That is stop. That is a cycle of action.

You pick up a pen. You write something on a piece of paper. You put the pen down. This is another cycle of action.

Keying a post here on the site is another example of controlling something.

We do this all day long, usually with an end result in mind. By relaxed control, I mean that the doing becomes primary and the achievement of the goal becomes secondary, or at least not more important than the doing.

Thanks much, yb.

Go to Top of Page

yogani

USA
5201 Posts

Posted - Feb 12 2008 :  11:55:57 AM  Show Profile  Visit yogani's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi YB:

It is fair to say that there is no attention in samadhi, which is the absorption of attention, or the transcendence of attention to it's native state -- pure awareness. In order for there to be attention, there must be an object, and there are no objects in samadhi, at least not in nirvikalpa samadhi. There are various grades of samadhi where objects can be present, but I am not much for making all those distinctions -- it gets to be too much of a measuring thing, and this is not what yoga is about. A fairly prominent yoga teacher once stomped off in disgust from AYP because I refused to get into grading people according to their level of samadhi (needing to do this measuring is a sign of slow meditation methods, btw). I prefer to avoid putting people in pigeon holes as much as possible. And we don't have to, because deep meditation is zip zip and gone to nirikalpa.

Much better to be using very efficient techniques and just enjoy wherever we happen to be at the moment. We do the practices, and find out the next things as naturally as possible. Well, it is impossible not to anticipate, but we do our best.

Anyway, the grades of samadhi are one thing on the way out to establishing samadhi with no attention (no objects = nirvikalpa), and something else on the way back in to the rise of abiding inner silence during our daily activities. This is samadhi with attention present, relating to objects while operating in the world. In this case the objects of perception are becoming effused with inner silence, our sense of Self, and this is the unity process underway. Samyama, self-inquiry and karma yoga (service) are for accelerating the rise of inner silence in daily living. Samadhi coexisting with activity in the world is the next step after nirvikalpa -- the outpouring of divine love leading to the unified condition of awareness -- "I am That." "You are That." "All this is That."

It has been called sahaj samadhi, which means "with eyes open." Well, it is much more than with eyes open. It means with heart, mind and all the faculties of action open and fully engaged. It is stillness in action.

So there is a going out to establishment of abiding inner silence (witness), and then a coming back into full action with inner silence. That is the journey of yoga. That is why daily activity is an important part of the over all practice, to stabilize stillness in action. We are not leaving forever into samadhi without objects. It is not a one way trip. We are systematically going out and bringing samadhi back into daily living. So it is very practical.

Both aspects of going out and coming back can be occurring at the same time. We don't have to be measuring it all. It can become a distraction. Having a general idea about what is happening will be good enough to help us stay on track. We just keep favoring the practice over the experience and everything will work out just fine.

The ideal amount of control in this is for activating the non-invasive levers that promote the over all process.

The guru is in you.
Go to Top of Page

Cyberboy

8 Posts

Posted - Feb 13 2008 :  11:10:46 PM  Show Profile  Visit Cyberboy's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Yogibear,

Thank you kindly for your insights, the middle path between soft and hard styles of mediation. I have been trying it out and find it very effective, letting thoughts go and ignoring them at the same time, a semi passive active exercise indeed.

Interesting points about the ego and the witness, and why condemn the ego because it is unspiritualize and separate it from the witnesser for that, I also find it interesting that Yogani dosen’t spend much time on categorizing and making distinctions as well.

Well, it seems the middle way has become clear from this discussion, doing something that leads us systematically to doing nothing, even while we are doing everything, while maintaining the outpouring of divine love in the corporeal world.

Also Yogibear, when you say “After all, if there is nothing in it for me, what the heck am I doing this for? I ask you?” brings me to another question of Liberating from the reincarnation wheel, I visited Swami on the weekend, and she doesn’t believe in dissolving the ego and Liberating from the wheel, which I found rather strange, but instead, the middle path, neither on it totally, or off it completely.

I guess the middle way is a good place to start all round hehe…

Well, to be honest, I had to read this post over a few times, this conversation is a little above me at the moment to add anything, so I’m off to order the AYP series and ‘do’ some practise :). However thank you kindly for the contemplative gems on this post, something I have wrestled with for many a year, so, very appreciative to have that cleared up, much peace.

L&L

P.S Interesting quotes indeed,

“In soft style, letting go leads to concentration and in hardstyle, concentration leads to letting go”.

“The mantra is only a vibration, not a direction. When brought back to this condition repeatedly, the attention naturally goes beyond mind to underlying inner silence, also called pure bliss consciousness. So we do not "control" the process of meditation. We only create the condition in the mind for it to happen naturally”.
Go to Top of Page

yogibear

409 Posts

Posted - Feb 14 2008 :  08:34:32 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Yogani,

quote:
Yogani wrote;

Anyway, the grades of samadhi are one thing on the way out to establishing samadhi with no attention (no objects = nirvikalpa), and something else on the way back in to the rise of abiding inner silence during our daily activities. This is samadhi with attention present, relating to objects while operating in the world. In this case the objects of perception are becoming effused with inner silence, our sense of Self, and this is the unity process underway.

This process you could refer to as the expansion of the self/Self?

Thanks, Yogani, for the clarification of your conceptual model, or rather, your explanation of your experience of life, or both. Well, for me that is what it is at this point, a conceptual model. But, based on past and present experience, study and reflection, I understand it to a degree.

In chiropractic, we always say, "Get the big idea and all else follows."

And the big ideas here are gentle persuasion of the mind to favor the mantra during meditation twice per day and to favor bhakti motivated activities during daily living.

quote:
The ideal amount of control in this is for activating the non-invasive levers that promote the over all process.

Thanks again, Yogani, I understand a bit more. Best, yb.

Edited by - yogibear on Feb 14 2008 11:09:14 AM
Go to Top of Page

Suryakant

USA
259 Posts

Posted - Feb 14 2008 :  11:14:01 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by yogani

Samyama, self-inquiry and karma yoga (service) are for accelerating the rise of inner silence in daily living. Samadhi coexisting with activity in the world is the next step after nirvikalpa -- the outpouring of divine love leading to the unified condition of awareness -- "I am That." "You are That." "All this is That."

It has been called sahaj samadhi, which means "with eyes open." Well, it is much more than with eyes open. It means with heart, mind and all the faculties of action open and fully engaged. It is stillness in action.

Mildred Lisette Norman Ryder, more widely known as Peace Pilgrim, personified the process you describe, yogani.

In her own words ( http://www.peacepilgrim.com/book/chapt2.htm ), Peace Pilgrim described what she called her "spiritual growing up period", which consisted of gradually developing samyama through self-inquiry, selfless service, and self-discipline.

Then a day came (described on the web page mentioned above) when Peace Pilgrim knew timelessness, spacelessness, lightness, and oneness with God. After she became permanently established in that state of consciousness, she described her subsequent life thusly:

When I awoke at dawn I was back on the spiritual mountaintop with a wonderful feeling. I knew that I would never need to descend again into the valley. I knew that for me the struggle was over, that finally I had succeeded in giving my life or finding inner peace. Again this is a point of no return. You can never go back into the struggle. The struggle is over now because you will to do the right thing and you don't need to be pushed into it...However, progress was not over. Great progress has taken place in this third phase of my life. It's as though the central figure of the jigsaw puzzle of my life is complete and clear and unchanging, and around the edges other pieces keep fitting in. There is always a growing edge, but the progress is harmonious. There is a feeling of always being surrounded by all of the good things, like love and peace and joy. It seems like a protective surrounding, and there is an unshakeableness within which takes you through any situation you may need to face.(1)

Sounds like the classic description of a jivanmukta - an individual spiritually liberated while still physically incarnated in this world.

(1) Quoted from the book:
Peace Pilgrim: Her Life and Work in Her Own Words,
CHAPTER 2: My Spiritual Growing Up: My Steps Toward Inner Peace,

By Peace Pilgrim (Compiled by some of her friends).
Go to Top of Page

yogani

USA
5201 Posts

Posted - Feb 14 2008 :  11:49:09 AM  Show Profile  Visit yogani's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Suryakant

Mildred Lisette Norman Ryder, more widely known as Peace Pilgrim, personified the process you describe, yogani.

In her own words ( http://www.peacepilgrim.com/book/chapt2.htm ), Peace Pilgrim described what she called her "spiritual growing up period", which consisted of gradually developing samyama through self-inquiry, selfless service, and self-discipline.

Thank you, Suryakant.

Beautiful. A sage worth studying.

The guru is in you.
Go to Top of Page

yogibear

409 Posts

Posted - Feb 14 2008 :  12:34:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Cyberboy,

Thanks for your reply. I am glad you are getting some benefit from this thread. I am as well.

Here is another slant on the middle path.....

From the book, Raja Yoga by Yesudian and Haich:

"The path of the Orient is the individual path.

The path of the Occident is the path of co-operation.

Which path is the right one, which the better one?

Man, in himself, is an individual, but at the same time he is part of a community. Which path, therefore, should he follow?

BOTH!

As an individual he travels on the inner path of the soul, the individual path; as a member of humanity he must travel the path of co-operation. Neither of these two paths is complete without the other! They must meet and merge, for one is the supplement and fulfilment of the other. The occidental path of co-operation suppresses personality and is empty, unless, thru following the inner path, we find meaning and purpose in life, while results achieved on the individual path can only be manfested through the path of co-operation.

Mankind is huge body, the body of the Logos--the Word.... This body consists of cells. When these individual cells do not have favourable conditions for life , they begin to atrophy and with the whole body. Each individual cell must live and be well in order to be a useful part of the whole community. Conversely, in order to live and be healthy, each cell needs the co-operation of the whole community. The individual and the community are inseparably interdependent.

Mankind can only be happy when each individual member of the human community has the chance he needs to develop his personal values and if he can do the work for which he was born! When people can develop in the direction for which they are suited, they can reach a much higher level in their work than if they are forced into activities for which they lack aptitude. When put in the right place, they work with joy, and the results are more perfect and more useful for the whole community. The welfare of the body is in the best interest of each individual cell, and welfare of the cells is in the best interest of the body!"

The path of the Occident they refer to is the path of brotherly love as taught by Christ, which is based on the unity underlying the apparent diversity, and the path of the Orient to which they refer is, of course, Yoga.

Again, welcome to the community.

Best, yb.

Edited by - yogibear on Feb 15 2008 08:06:23 AM
Go to Top of Page

Cyberboy

8 Posts

Posted - Feb 15 2008 :  07:00:07 AM  Show Profile  Visit Cyberboy's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hehe, its strange how fitting and symbolic messages may be, even on a forum, years ago I would live in ‘savoir consciousness’, until I realized that that was just ego illusions, so, let it go, and it was a strange lesson that one, however, hit the other side and went totally away from service.

Anyway, I have been offered the chance to do some pretty large scale humanitarian work, and was thinking, well, I will, but I certainly shall be keeping the balance and avoiding the ‘save everybody syndrome’ because I actually wanted to spend my energy on walking my own path for a while, so, thanks for the prompt Yogibear, what perfect timing, and what great wisdom to have directed at me to read, I think you must of channelled that one out of the collective hehe, “walk the middle path of dharma” just like our individual path, seems clear to me now, and if the Enlighten that have gone on before me are saying that, even more so, much peace. Honestly, that was very fitting at this time to read.

L&L
Go to Top of Page

yogibear

409 Posts

Posted - Feb 15 2008 :  08:22:43 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Cyberboy,

I have been working to get the pendulum to stop swinging so widely and rest at its mid point as well.

From the book, Raja Yoga by Yesudian and Haich:

"For those who would travel the path of Yoga and progress spiritually, we must say a few words about the daily living habits that such persons should follow. Here the best advice can be given in two word: live moderately."

Altho there are some differences, I find much agreement between the teachings of these authors and Yogani.

Simple, direct, effective.

Best wishes with your new work, yb.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000