Discussions on AYP Deep Meditation and Samyama
 eye contact samyama
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

cosmic_troll

USA
229 Posts

Posted - Jan 31 2008 :  11:25:25 AM  Show Profile  Visit cosmic_troll's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Hello all,

This question is mostly for those of you that have been doing samyama for a while....

I have this idea.... what happens if you do samyama while making eye contact with someone?

For example... you make eye contact with someone and let go of the sutra "strength" or "beauty", as you would during samyama practice.

Will the person manifest the quality of that sutra? Will the person sense your intention, and possibly feel the results of your sutra?

I've been doing samyama for a few months, but am uncertain of the actual results. I realize that we're not always the best observers of our own transformation.

Has anyone tried this? Or does anyone who understands samyama have any opinions on this?

Thanks
CT

Jack

United Kingdom
305 Posts

Posted - Jan 31 2008 :  3:11:51 PM  Show Profile  Visit Jack's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
"Will the person manifest the quality of that sutra? Will the person sense your intention, and possibly feel the results of your sutra?"

I don't practice Samyama, but yeah, absolutely.

Maybe not manifest the quality of the sutra, but they will intuitively pick up on your intention/vibe, even if they don't consciously realise it for a while!

Staring at someone and just thinking with feeling, "I love you".. try it out. :)
Go to Top of Page

Shanti

USA
4854 Posts

Posted - Jan 31 2008 :  3:20:38 PM  Show Profile  Visit Shanti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by cosmic_troll

Hello all,

This question is mostly for those of you that have been doing samyama for a while....

I have this idea.... what happens if you do samyama while making eye contact with someone?

For example... you make eye contact with someone and let go of the sutra "strength" or "beauty", as you would during samyama practice.

Will the person manifest the quality of that sutra? Will the person sense your intention, and possibly feel the results of your sutra?

I've been doing samyama for a few months, but am uncertain of the actual results. I realize that we're not always the best observers of our own transformation.

Has anyone tried this? Or does anyone who understands samyama have any opinions on this?

Thanks
CT

CT.. Samyama is not for manipulation.. it is not for wishing something to manifest itself the way you think it should be. It is about picking a word and dropping it without attachment and with the intent and trust that God/Life/Truth will take care of the rest. So if you look into someone's eyes and say "strength" or "beauty".. it does not mean the person will manifest that quality (s/he may if it is what it should be).. that is why you say the word (pick the sutra) and move out of the way (drop it, don't dwell on it).. you have the intent of "strength".. but what your mind defines "strength' to be may not be what the person really needs.. and when you move your mind out of the way.. life will make strength manifest in the form that is right for the recipient. You really cannot control the outcome in samyama.. you can have an intent and let go, trusting life will know what to do with your intent. That is why in group samyama, we just take the name of the person and let it go in silence, and not try and get too mindy with details on what and how to heal the recipient. It's like praying, but leaving it to God to come up with the outcome.. it's more of "thy (God/Life/Truth) will be done".. not "my will be done". This is the reason samyama is self-regulating, as long as you are doing samyama with attachment to outcome it will not work.. it's when you can drop the mind attachment, you will get the answers.

Go to Top of Page

cosmic_troll

USA
229 Posts

Posted - Jan 31 2008 :  9:34:40 PM  Show Profile  Visit cosmic_troll's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Jack

Staring at someone and just thinking with feeling, "I love you".. try it out. :)

I've tried this a couple of times before I knew about samyama, because I felt that something does get across to them (and hopefully benefits them in some way). The similarity of this to samyama is what has me curious about doing samyama in this way.

Shanti, I follow what you're saying about how samyama works. I don't fully understand samyama, I just do it and trust that something positive is happening.

I do want to make it clear that my intention is not to manipulate, nor to control any specific outcome. I'm curious if the other person will receive some benefit from this, like the way we receive benefit from doing samyama in our sitting practices.

Samyama seems to have expanded applications that we probably haven't explored fully. My intent was to make a small contribution to that exploration. I'm not trying to force something to happen, I'm simply curious if this would help the people we come into contact with in our daily lives.

I haven't tried this, I'm just wondering if it's worth looking into.

Thanks for your feedbacks
Go to Top of Page

Jim and His Karma

2111 Posts

Posted - Jan 31 2008 :  10:24:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:

I don't fully understand samyama, I just do it and trust that something positive is happening.

I'm not sure you fully grasp how beautiful and perfect that is.

Here's my overblown statement of the same sentiment, but yours was better: http://www.aypsite.org/forum/topic....OPIC_ID=1189

Anyway, I hope you'll stay right there, where you are! No need to understand and learn anything more...that's all mind stuff, and the mind's limited - in everything but curiosity!
Go to Top of Page

cosmic_troll

USA
229 Posts

Posted - Feb 02 2008 :  06:50:44 AM  Show Profile  Visit cosmic_troll's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks, Jim. I will stay right Here. Here is a beautiful place to Be

Very lovely poem. There is something that feels true about it. Like it comes from silence...

Peace
Go to Top of Page

NagoyaSea

424 Posts

Posted - Feb 02 2008 :  1:52:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Cosmic said:
quote:
I do want to make it clear that my intention is not to manipulate, nor to control any specific outcome. I'm curious if the other person will receive some benefit from this, like the way we receive benefit from doing samyama in our sitting practices.

Samyama seems to have expanded applications that we probably haven't explored fully. My intent was to make a small contribution to that exploration. I'm not trying to force something to happen, I'm simply curious if this would help the people we come into contact with in our daily lives.

Samyama does indeed have expanded applications, that can be added after you are steady in that practice.
  • samyama in prayer
  • samyama in asanas
  • cosmic samyama

What Shanti said is also true. Here's a quote from Yogani's book-- "Surrenduring to the Divine is the essential operating principle in prayer." And in using this principle we can use samyama as prayer, reducing the object of our prayer into a concise sutra, releasing our sutra to our inner stillness, to be manifested on the outside.

You may create any prayer sutra you wish. You may use the samyama prayer to dissolve obstructions, remove impurities or increase positive qualities. You may use them on individual or a global scale.

I was using samyama as prayer before reading about it. It seemed a natural progression after some time doing samyama. And to your question of whether or not it works, all I can say is that my experience with it has been positive.

This is powerful and awesome stuff. Yogani really stresses self-pacing here. When you are ready, I highly recommend that you read Yogani's book:
"Samyama
Cultivating Stillness in Action
Siddhis & Miracles"

All of his books are good, but this book will leave you in wonder of what we could accomplish for the good, with these practices. And it will fill you with desire to continue on the path.

In light, life and love,
Kathy
Go to Top of Page

cosmic_troll

USA
229 Posts

Posted - Feb 03 2008 :  01:21:24 AM  Show Profile  Visit cosmic_troll's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you for the encouragement, Kathy. I recently read Yogani's book on samyama and thought it was wonderful. I tried the cosmic samyama 2 or 3 times, but backed off because I wasn't able to sleep afterwards. I'm probably not ready for it yet.

Have you tried the cosmic samyama? If so, do you get good results with it too?
Go to Top of Page

NagoyaSea

424 Posts

Posted - Feb 03 2008 :  11:52:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
No, Cosmic, I haven't tried cosmic samyama yet... And, I will probably wait a while before trying...

Go to Top of Page

yogani

USA
5201 Posts

Posted - Feb 05 2008 :  11:24:24 AM  Show Profile  Visit yogani's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:

I tried the cosmic samyama 2 or 3 times, but backed off because I wasn't able to sleep afterwards. I'm probably not ready for it yet.

Hi Cosmic:

Keep in mind that cosmic samyama can be done at the end of our twice daily sitting practices, while lying down at the end. This is the best time to incorporate it in our routine. It can also be done at bed time. If it interferes with sleep, then we can skip it at bed time. Doing it with daily sitting practices should not affect our sleep pattern.

As with all practices, if we run into uncomfortable symptoms, we self-pace as needed. This usually means scaling back rather than stopping entirely. It is rarely an all or nothing decision. Always somewhere in-between too much and not enough.

The effect of cosmic samyama is the gradual expansion of our abiding everyday awareness to cosmic dimensions. The entire ocean known intimately in a single drop.

All the best!

The guru is in you.
Go to Top of Page

cosmic_troll

USA
229 Posts

Posted - Feb 06 2008 :  08:13:36 AM  Show Profile  Visit cosmic_troll's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks, Yogani. I will give it another shot in the near future, just not at bedtime

Thanks for all your support and continued teaching
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000