Discussions on AYP Deep Meditation and Samyama
 Sleepy Meditation
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

anthony574

USA
549 Posts

Posted - Dec 28 2007 :  11:23:53 AM  Show Profile  Visit anthony574's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Hey everyone!

I am experiencing something odd in my practice nowadays. I have been doing meditation for about 9 months and have never experienced this. Now, I'd say 4 out of 5 times that I do my practice I end up nodding off during meditation, or falling asleep when I'm resting afterwards (mostly both!). I attributed this to a new job where I work very early hours, however, even on days when I have had a lot of sleep consecutively it keeps happening. I haven't worked in nearly a week and it keeps happening. During meditation I will find following the mantra to be like trying to hold onto a slippery rock while a strong current in pushing me off. I drift heavily into what I suppose is the Chitta and sometimes forget where I am or think I am somewhere else, all kinds of bizzare things. And of course afterwards I find myself falling asleep, which is turning out to be quite inconvenient. Is this a phase people often find themselves going through?

Shanti

USA
4854 Posts

Posted - Dec 28 2007 :  1:33:31 PM  Show Profile  Visit Shanti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Anthony,
It's just a phase. At times there is purification happening that can result in deep sleep during meditation and rest.
I have experienced it.. and it can be annoying esp. when you think that it is not how meditation should be. It's not like you can do much about it, so just go with it.. it will last for as long as it needs to and then go away.. like any of the other phases.

It was discussed here..
Asleep during Mediation?
sleeping during meditation

Maybe this lesson will help.
Lesson 17 - Meditation Q&A – Was I asleep?
Go to Top of Page

riptiz

United Kingdom
741 Posts

Posted - Dec 28 2007 :  2:14:30 PM  Show Profile  Visit riptiz's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Anthony,
Are you sure it is sleep and not samadhi? I expereince deep states of samadhi almost every time I meditate, pranayama or japa.I have been like this for about 2 yrs and was told by my sadguru not to worry but treat it as if you have been in meditation as 'normal'.I normally do japa as I am going to sleep and sometimes when I wake up my hands are buzzing with energy as the effects continue as you sleep.I suggest you ignore your experiences and continue as 'normal' with your practices.
L&L
Dave
Go to Top of Page

Richard

United Kingdom
857 Posts

Posted - Dec 28 2007 :  2:48:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Anthony

quote:
Is this a phase people often find themselves going through?

Yep absolutely its happened to me countless times as Shanti says "its a phase" it will go away. You will experience it again some day though but its nothing to worry about at all.

Shanti has given you all the best links have a good look at them and you will see how normal this is.

Just keep doing the practices
Go to Top of Page

Nirodha

New Zealand
86 Posts

Posted - Dec 29 2007 :  07:46:58 AM  Show Profile  Visit Nirodha's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by anthony574
Now, I'd say 4 out of 5 times that I do my practice I end up nodding off during meditation, or falling asleep when I'm resting afterwards (mostly both!). I attributed this to a new job where I work very early hours, however, even on days when I have had a lot of sleep consecutively it keeps happening. I haven't worked in nearly a week and it keeps happening. During meditation I will find following the mantra to be like trying to hold onto a slippery rock while a strong current in pushing me off.

Hi Anthony,

It sounds like you might be slightly sleep depraved or are just having a hard time adjusting to your new schedule. I'm a rather experienced contemplative and still have some difficulties with drowsiness during meditation on occasion.

Someone else suggested that you might actually be in Samadhi. However, I've never experienced a drowsy or sleepy Samadhi. And, have found that Samadhi is always accompanied by a feeling of intense alertness. Therefore, I'm going to differ with the person.

The way I've found to stave off drowsiness during meditation is to ramp up my cycle of relaxing and then attending to the object of meditation. The basic pattern I following during any type of meditation is as follows:

1. Relax and release all tension from the mind and body
2. Expand my awareness to encompass my entire mind and body
3. Focus my attention on the object of meditation until it drifts
4. If and when my attention does drift, I proceed back to step 1 and start again.

If I'm tired during meditation, I just decrease the amount of time I would take per cycle until the drowsiness disappears. It works a treat for me.

Edited by - Nirodha on Dec 29 2007 09:09:17 AM
Go to Top of Page

Guy_51

USA
170 Posts

Posted - Dec 29 2007 :  08:23:13 AM  Show Profile  Visit Guy_51's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Nirodha:

Could you please explain in further detail steps 1 and 2.

Thanking you in advance.

Guy
Go to Top of Page

Nirodha

New Zealand
86 Posts

Posted - Dec 29 2007 :  09:10:13 AM  Show Profile  Visit Nirodha's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Guy,

There was a typo in step 1 that I have just corrected - it'll probably make more sense now.
Go to Top of Page

anthony574

USA
549 Posts

Posted - Dec 29 2007 :  10:08:38 AM  Show Profile  Visit anthony574's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Nirodha, I like that before you jump right back into the mantra after drifting you re-relax the body and reorient yourself with your mind and body. I dont think that necessarily contradicts Yogani's instruction. I think I will try it. I know that it is not necessarily better to be on the mantra more than less according to Yogani's book...but I do feel after 9 months I should be on the mantra at least 50% of the time!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000