AYPsite.org Forum
 Other Systems and Alternate Approaches
 Gayatri mantra
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

x.j.

304 Posts

Posted - Nov 27 2007 :  4:40:25 PM  Show Profile  Visit x.j.'s Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
I am new to AYP, and wanted to sound off perhaps naively and prematurely on a topic that may have been addressed somewhere on this wonderful and amazing website already, but couldn't contain my enthusiasm. My subject of interest is a very dear practice to my heart, called the Gayatri mantra. This has a central place in my meditation practice. Though I come from a Vipassana (Buddhist) meditation background, which is a meditation on the breath, I began little experiments in my practice. I wanted to see what enlivened the ecstatic conductivity, and what suppressed it. Diet was found to be very important. Exploring grief,which resonates at the center for me, and sitting with that, embracing that, within the stillness, was incredibly fruitful. All the wonderful practices of AYP are incredibly important and enlivening in my experience: Spinal breathing, pranayama,khumbaka with yoni mudra, chin pump,trataka with yantras, service to others, etc. But I see no mention of Gayatri mantra here. This has been for me, a doorway into Bhakti yoga. Many consider Gayatri to be "supreme" as far as mantras go, whatever that may mean, and it is said that Lord Krishna stated, "Of all the mantras, I am Gayatri." I feel great humility in writing anything on an AYP forum, because of the wonderful and amazingly insightful and eloquent posts here,and because I probably will stand corrected, which I welcome, but couldn't resist saying the above, since Gayatri has been so incredibly beautiful to explore, and so opening. There is a CD recording by I believe "India Times" recordings of Gayatri being chanted 108 times. Also, an author by the name of Thomas Ashley Farrand has a number of books and audio CD's on mantra yoga practices. I am grateful beyond words for Yogani's message and the folks here who resonate at the heart so much for me. Thanks.

Eddie33

USA
120 Posts

Posted - Nov 27 2007 :  7:34:57 PM  Show Profile  Visit Eddie33's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
SHAKE AND BAKE!!

Good luck on your endeavors with AYP!!
Go to Top of Page

Shanti

USA
4854 Posts

Posted - Nov 29 2007 :  08:37:15 AM  Show Profile  Visit Shanti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by John C

But I see no mention of Gayatri mantra here.

Hi John,
I love that CD too and do listen to it and /or chant with it.

At AYP, we don't meditate on the Gayatri mantra or the Maha Mritunjay mantra (another one you may enjoy), however you are welcome to chant and/or listen to them outside of your AYP practice in moderation. The only reason the word moderation is mentioned, chanting these mantras can cause a lot of purification, and if you are also into the "i am " meditation, it may have a doubling up effect and that can result in an overload.

Here is what Yogani has to say about meditation on the Gayatri mantra
quote:
Lesson 226 - Q&A – Expansion on our mind
If you undertake other mantras during the day, like Gayatri, it will
certainly speed up purification, but maybe excessively. With all the
good techniques available these days, the challenge is not in
achieving the purification. It is in digesting it in a way that
facilitates stable progress and the rise of ecstatic bliss over the
long term. The lessons take a particular approach to the task. There
are other approaches too. Mixing them together may not bring the best
results.

You can read up more on Chanting in the Yoga FAQs.
Hope this helps.
Wish you all the best.
Go to Top of Page

x.j.

304 Posts

Posted - Nov 29 2007 :  1:45:12 PM  Show Profile  Visit x.j.'s Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Shanti,
Thanks for your reply. Glad to hear your answer and am interested in what is said about AYP practices in reference to other practices that fall beyond the AYP practices. Since my post on this, I realized that the AYP practices are self contained so as not to overwhelm one with too much all at once. But on the other hand once one has settled into a meditation practice, which is central to all spiritual practices (and AYP recognizes this too), then one might do well to investigate what resonates for them spiritually in the grand yoga tradition.I hope this isn't too heretical. That's just an independent yogi's perspective although the practices of AYP resonate deeply for me and have been my practice before I ever knew about AYP, (though the terminology of AYP is specific to AYP in many cases). My advocating the Gayatri mantra is because I think that the Bhakti yoga issue is important, in order to be sure one is "heart centered". Because yoga can and will raise the kundalini/ecstatic conductivity, but that may not be "heart centered." After all, look at all the accomplished yogis who came from India to the West, were "adepts" and yet seemed to have fallen off their pedistals into some depraved behaviors, both of power trips and sexual predation of students. They were by definition not heart centered, though their kundalini was developed through yoga. It seems to me that the proof of the validity of a spiritual/meditation program is not whether one experiences kundalini/ecstatic conductivity with ecstasy and the astral body lighting up like a Christmas tree with energy, but whether that spiritual practice makes one kind to all beings, as a tangible result. That is proof that one is on a "heart centered" spiritual approach and not just after some energetic effects only. Thanks for your kindness in replying to my post. I know for sure my reply here is pretty controversial and I welcome correction from so many folks of amazing wisdom and insight in this AYP group. But I want to emphasize that the purpose of, and proof of the pudding of our spiritual practice, has got be that it makes us kinder people to all beings, others, animals, and ourselves, not just kundalini effects which are just the side effects of your yoga, no matter how ecstatic and pleasurable that is. Let's not be seduced by the Christmas tree of pretty lights.Just more empty experiences and not ultimately all that meaningful, but nice when it happens. Boy I'm going to raise some comments with this. Hold on to your seat! Respectfully,
John C
Go to Top of Page

yogani

USA
5201 Posts

Posted - Nov 29 2007 :  2:00:04 PM  Show Profile  Visit yogani's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi John, and welcome!

Actually, what you are saying fits with the spirit of AYP, and I am sure will resonate with many who are here also.

We are rebels with a cause here, with endless outpouring divine love being the end game. "Experiences" pale by comparison. That's why everyone is encouraged to favor the practice over the experiences.

All the best!

The guru is in you.
Go to Top of Page

thomas

USA
22 Posts

Posted - Nov 29 2007 :  2:06:20 PM  Show Profile  Visit thomas's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi John C.

Not controversial at all. Thank you for sharing your wonderful post. It is very much appreciated and right on ... and as a fellow AYP forumite may I extend a warm welcome to your beautiful heart.

Thomas
Go to Top of Page

riptiz

United Kingdom
741 Posts

Posted - Nov 29 2007 :  5:29:56 PM  Show Profile  Visit riptiz's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi John,
If one is not looking to have greater compassion and kindness to others then they are not practicing yoga.As I tell my students we are not simply practicing meditation but we are living yoga which embodies more than simply exercises.
L&L
Dave
Go to Top of Page

brushjw

USA
191 Posts

Posted - Mar 30 2008 :  8:54:31 PM  Show Profile  Visit brushjw's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I was going to post a new topic on Gayatri mantra in the Books, Web Sites, Audio, Video, etc. Forum but did a search at the last minute and found this thread.
quote:
the proof of the validity of a spiritual/meditation program is not whether one experiences kundalini/ecstatic conductivity with ecstasy and the astral body lighting up like a Christmas tree with energy, but whether that spiritual practice makes one kind to all beings, as a tangible result.
Thank you for that, John, and thank you Shanti for the quote from the lessons.

Yogani also said in Lesson 19
quote:
If there is something here that helps enhance your progress, it is good. If, at the same time, it creates friction with your current tradition, you will have to sort that out yourself. Ultimately, the answer is in you. Follow your heart.
I can't not practice Laya yoga.

Lately the Divine Sound has manifested at a very high pitch and with much energy concentrated in my jaw muscles. Almost an aching. My teeth are not clenched and my tongue is in the correct position, so that's not the issue. I have not been successful in using mindfulness to relax the jaw and move the energy. However, I discovered that by simply lowering my jaw a fraction of an inch the pressure is released. I wasn't sure if this this is the proper technique because the pressure simply stopped and I didn't get a sense of progression. I thought this might be is a dead end.

Last night I tried again. My jaw dropped to the point that I was forming an "Om" with my mouth closed. I opened my mouth and exhaled... energy. I could see it almost like a cloud of smoke.

I'm open-minded to whatever the Universe can provide me. Today I came across this:

"Lord Brahma thus meditates upon Lord Krishna in His spiritual realm and hears the divine sound of Krishna`s flute. The kama-gayatri mantra (Klim kamadevaya vidmahe puspa-banaya dhimahi tan no nangah pracodayat), the "mother of the Vedas," is made manifest from the sound of Krishna's flute, and Brahma, thus initiated by the supreme primal preceptor Himself, begins to chant the Gayatri. (As Srila Prabhupada puts it, "When the sound vibration of Krishna's flute is expressed through the mouth of Brahma, it becomes gayatri" [teachings of Lord Caytanya, p. 322])."

Source: http://www.indiadivine.org/hinduism...hma-Samhita/ (emphasis mine)

I looked up Gayatri mantra and found this extraordinary video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ty2XLidTzfc

I hope you like it as much as I.

Om,

Joe
Go to Top of Page

Maatsuah

USA
33 Posts

Posted - Apr 02 2008 :  08:33:24 AM  Show Profile  Visit Maatsuah's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hey John

You know you can consider me one of your supporters and we can use all the support we get nowadays.

I love the Gayatri Mantra and am considering using it in the future, but I have got to make sure I know what I am doing before adding it to an already growing practice. AYP has been opening me up so much lately that I have been watching my steps like a tight rope walker to make sure I have a handle on the situation.

I hope you continue to say whatever you want in the spirit of growth and concern for the welfare of the practice. I haven't noticed anyone objecting to anything that is said in that light.
Go to Top of Page

x.j.

304 Posts

Posted - Apr 19 2008 :  3:38:58 PM  Show Profile  Visit x.j.'s Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Maatsuah

Hey John
I love the Gayatri Mantra and am considering using it in the future, but I have got to make sure I know what I am doing before adding it to an already growing practice. AYP has been opening me up so much lately that I have been watching my steps like a tight rope walker to make sure I have a handle on the situation.

Hi Maatsuah,
Am glad to hear your AYP practice is working so well. I agree aYP is a wonderful program of practices. From what you say, there is no need at this time to add other practices if you feel there is so much opening happening to you already. I'm sure there are other folks who have been doing AYP practices for several years and not seeing any
prana flows of kundalini within their conscious perception. And perhaps in that situation, adding the practice of the Gayatri or Ganapati mantra practices in spoken form, could resonate the energy body like lighting the lamp that is already primed and ready to ignite. This is just my take on the situation from my (limited) personal experience. I wonder at times why this is so for me, that the spoken mantra practices just vibrates all three bodies so resonantly. And I wonder why for me there is never the "overload" symptoms that so many people discuss on the AYP forums, almost beat the subject of overload to death in fact at times. Maybe the prana is like hormones, and a person at 25 years old has lots of it, and when they get twice that age, they have half as much. But for whatever reason, I never get too much prana resonating into conscious perception. I find the AYP practices very good, but I can't imagine not doing spoken mantra practices as well.
They resonate the bodies so much, like putting the key into your car ignition and turning it on. And if Lord Krishna(the Embodiment of Love) and Shri Radha are the blue center surrounded by the golden ring respectively that we see with yonimudra, then Krishna's own mantra, the Gayatri, is going to take us there,...to witness Them there.
If anyone would like a copy of Gayatri being sung 108 times,email me.
JohnC
Go to Top of Page

Balance

USA
967 Posts

Posted - Apr 20 2008 :  6:24:02 PM  Show Profile  Visit Balance's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi John. Somehow I missed getting in on this thread until now. I too love Gayatri Mantra. It is one mantra I very much enjoy chanting.

Here is a nice version I just ran across. A little faster than I'm used to but it has a nice effect, especially with all of the pictures of Sri Ma.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vx0Q...ture=related

I also like to chant or listen to Saraswati Mantra, Mruthunjaya Mantra, Sri Devi Khadga Mala Strotra Ratnam, and others. I used to try and be regular chanting Samputita Sri Suktam weekly while performing abishekam with milk to a crystal Sri Chakra, but have not been practicing that for awhile.

Thanks for bringing the topic up.
Alan
Go to Top of Page

Balance

USA
967 Posts

Posted - Apr 20 2008 :  10:02:29 PM  Show Profile  Visit Balance's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Actually, I have chanted the Gayatri very rapidly. I'd forgotten that during Sri Karunamayi's Homa, which I enjoyed being a part of here in Tucson just last weekend, there is a Gayatri chant that increases in tempo as we chant it. It is a very nice experience!

And Amma has a pre-meditation Gayatri C.D. that includes the following sloka after the usual Gayatri Mantra:

"Apo jyoti rasumratum, Brahma bhur bhuva suvah Om"

Edited by - Balance on Apr 20 2008 10:15:03 PM
Go to Top of Page

riptiz

United Kingdom
741 Posts

Posted - Apr 21 2008 :  04:16:53 AM  Show Profile  Visit riptiz's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi,
Just a word of caution if using the mantras rapidly.They give very deep cleansing if used this way and can lead to overload. In the lineage I belong to using the mantras this way silently is part of standard practices especially during anhustan.
L&L
Dave
Go to Top of Page

Sparkle

Ireland
1457 Posts

Posted - Apr 21 2008 :  09:31:06 AM  Show Profile  Visit Sparkle's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
For some reason when I listen to the Gayatri mantra for maybe an hour in the car, whilst I enjoy it and often feel energy from it, I would generally feel very tired later on.
Consequently I try not to listen to it for more than 15 or 20 minutes per day.
Does anyone else experience this?
Go to Top of Page

Balance

USA
967 Posts

Posted - Apr 21 2008 :  11:22:47 AM  Show Profile  Visit Balance's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Sparkle

For some reason when I listen to the Gayatri mantra for maybe an hour in the car, whilst I enjoy it and often feel energy from it, I would generally feel very tired later on.
Consequently I try not to listen to it for more than 15 or 20 minutes per day.
Does anyone else experience this?

I've experienced that. While I love chanting the Gayatri and other mantras, I usually don't go on and on with them. And I use them more throughout the day during the time period when Sri Karunamayi is here for her yearly visit. That time is intensely bhakti for me. The only time I use the Gayatri for meditation is when I meet with the local Sri Karunamayi devotees once a week. I don't think the intense techniques of AYP or Kriya Yoga need too much help with energy from the chanting department, though this is probably different per individual. Sri Karunamayi teaches a chakra cleansing meditation which I haven't learned. The only pranayama technique I've known from her is the dual nostril breathing (can't remember what that's called) several times before meditation. Thankfully Amma encourages everyone to do the sadhana that works best for each individual.
Go to Top of Page

brushjw

USA
191 Posts

Posted - Apr 23 2008 :  5:25:30 PM  Show Profile  Visit brushjw's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
John was nice enough to send me a CD of the Gâyatrî Mantra. I must say it has had the most profound effect on me of any audio CD I've yet heard. Very powerful. Today I'm just wiped out. No energy.

namaste,
Joe

Edited by - brushjw on May 01 2008 4:05:20 PM
Go to Top of Page

Sparkle

Ireland
1457 Posts

Posted - Apr 23 2008 :  6:44:41 PM  Show Profile  Visit Sparkle's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
John was nice enough to also send me a copy of the Gayatri Mantra.
Agreed Joe, that's the effect it has on me, as stated above.

Funny though it just wipes me out physically and once I get some rest that's it over with.

quote:
Balance said: I've experienced that. While I love chanting the Gayatri and other mantras, I usually don't go on and on with them. And I use them more throughout the day during the time period when Sri Karunamayi is here for her yearly visit. That time is intensely bhakti for me. The only time I use the Gayatri for meditation is when I meet with the local Sri Karunamayi devotees once a week. I don't think the intense techniques of AYP or Kriya Yoga need too much help with energy from the chanting department, though this is probably different per individual. Sri Karunamayi teaches a chakra cleansing meditation which I haven't learned. The only pranayama technique I've known from her is the dual nostril breathing (can't remember what that's called) several times before meditation. Thankfully Amma encourages everyone to do the sadhana that works best for each individual

It does say on that CD that it should be listened to or chanted three times a day.
John, did you find the same as Joe and myself at the beginning? and if so how long did it take to get accustomed to it?
Go to Top of Page

Balance

USA
967 Posts

Posted - Apr 23 2008 :  7:45:30 PM  Show Profile  Visit Balance's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Sparkle

John was nice enough to also send me a copy of the Gayatri Mantra.
Agreed Joe, that's the effect it has on me, as stated above.

Funny though it just wipes me out physically and once I get some rest that's it over with.

quote:
Balance said: I've experienced that. While I love chanting the Gayatri and other mantras, I usually don't go on and on with them. And I use them more throughout the day during the time period when Sri Karunamayi is here for her yearly visit. That time is intensely bhakti for me. The only time I use the Gayatri for meditation is when I meet with the local Sri Karunamayi devotees once a week. I don't think the intense techniques of AYP or Kriya Yoga need too much help with energy from the chanting department, though this is probably different per individual. Sri Karunamayi teaches a chakra cleansing meditation which I haven't learned. The only pranayama technique I've known from her is the dual nostril breathing (can't remember what that's called) several times before meditation. Thankfully Amma encourages everyone to do the sadhana that works best for each individual

It does say on that CD that it should be listened to or chanted three times a day.
John, did you find the same as Joe and myself at the beginning? and if so how long did it take to get accustomed to it?

Hey, if you're into experimenting with powerful mantras, try the Mrtyunjaya Mantra I posted here at the book/video forum. Once you get the pronunciation down you can chant along with the Swami. I've been chanting that mantra out loud for years now, it's one I have done a lot of and is very energizing, but mostly I just have it playing all of the time in a corner of the house (Amma singing). There is one difference in the way I learned it from Amma Karunamayi, at the end of the third stanza I pronounce the word "bandanat" rather than "bandanan".

on edit: Silly me, I forgot the "H". It is either bandhanat or bandhanan, with the "H" in the middle. It is important to get the tongue to stop on the roof of the mouth behind the top incisors and then release the "DH" with a little force to get the benefit of the energy of "mahaprana", as it is called. If you learn the correct sanskrit pronunciation it is more beneficial energetically. You can feel it. There are other nuances as well in pronunciation of certain vowel and consanant combinations that one might want to learn. I tried googling for a good source but haven't found a good one yet. Listening carefully to a CD and practicing pronunciation will eventually get one there. Amma Karunamayi has instructional CD's.

Edited by - Balance on Apr 24 2008 09:16:53 AM
Go to Top of Page

brushjw

USA
191 Posts

Posted - Apr 27 2008 :  9:31:17 PM  Show Profile  Visit brushjw's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I find it useful to read the text of the Gayatri Mantri while I am chanting. Wikipedia has a good IAST version online. I had to download the Gentium font for the text to appear properly in Word.

Namaste,
Joe
Go to Top of Page

Wilder

12 Posts

Posted - May 01 2008 :  5:15:45 PM  Show Profile  Visit Wilder's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I am interested in adding gayatri mantra to my existing AYP practice. How many rounds (each round being 108 repititions) do we usually do?

What if I do more rounds like say 16 or so? will there be any side effects? I have been doing AYP for around 3 years now and i really want a jump start in terms of seeing some fireworks.

- wilder
Go to Top of Page

Sparkle

Ireland
1457 Posts

Posted - May 05 2008 :  11:14:12 AM  Show Profile  Visit Sparkle's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Alan
Thanks for your comments above.
I noticed the same kind of tiring effect with other eastern music - might be something to do with the different scales and chords producing notes and sounds not normally heard in Western music.

Anyway I think I have cracked it. Recently I have been very aware of the way I eat and what I am eating. By chewing my food for a lot longer whilst eating mindfully my eating has changed in that I now eat much less, fell more energy and drink more water.
The water is crucial and now even if I feel any pressure in my head,for instance, taking a pint of water usually clears it.
I have been drinking too much tea - which of course is a diuretic (although not as bad a coffee) and dehydrates the system leaving it vulnerable to overload.
So the result of this is that I can listen to the Gayatri mantra without any side effects

John, the devotion was never an issue, you can see the reason from my comments to Alan (Balance), thanks.

Wilder:
Chanting is another practice in addition to your normal AYP practices and has to be self-paced accordingly.
Doing 16 rounds of 108 Gayatri mantra repititions is asking for trouble in my view. If you start with one, see how you go and build up from there - no rush.

Edited by - Sparkle on May 05 2008 11:15:36 AM
Go to Top of Page

Balance

USA
967 Posts

Posted - May 05 2008 :  11:33:04 AM  Show Profile  Visit Balance's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
That's great Sparkle. Hydration is good for intense japa. The energy built up in the body requires more water perhaps.

The calming effect, or tiredness may be due to the opening to the underlying silence behind the sacred syllables coming forth. Maybe the sacred syllables open the way for the silent well of sound.

It does help, I think, to pronounce the sanskrit as accurately as possible to benefit from the full energy production. It may be that some of the tiredness is due to not fully engaging the sacred sanskrit. Or perhaps you already have that down. It has taken me a long time to pronounce well, and there are still little nuances that can be challenging for a westerner's tongue. If you speak Gaelic, or just with your Irish accent, you have a whole different way of experiencing that. Maybe your tongue is easier matched? I dunno. I have gotten "fairly" good at pronunciation after a few years of practice.

OM

P.S. Amma Karunamayi also has tutorial C.D.s that are step by step instructional for correct pronunciation. She stresses the importance for correct pronunciation. Another interesting note, since Amma's visit to my town is a few weeks behind now, my chanting has subsided somewhat.

Have fun Louis

Edited by - Balance on May 05 2008 11:52:22 AM
Go to Top of Page

Wilder

12 Posts

Posted - May 11 2008 :  6:03:25 PM  Show Profile  Visit Wilder's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
i am ready to change my diet when needed, but diet restrictions are not given much. i am currently doing around 3 rounds of gayatri every afternoon along with my ayp meditation. but this hasnt been really consistent with my efforts of ayp. not sure if that really helps me anyway. it takes me around 10 mins for each round of gayatri and i do it a bit fast. are there any demerits in it?

- wilder
Go to Top of Page

AYPforum

351 Posts

Posted - May 13 2008 :  08:30:04 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Moderator note: Topic moved for better placement
Go to Top of Page

ramchandra raghuvanshi

India
2 Posts

Posted - May 20 2008 :  04:16:50 AM  Show Profile  Visit ramchandra raghuvanshi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
do black magic practitioners get scared by GAYATRI MANTRA CHARMS?
Go to Top of Page

emc

2072 Posts

Posted - Sep 08 2008 :  06:36:57 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I enjoy this version with Deva Premal. At live concerts the roof lifts when the whole audience chants with her...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d63COahIpVM

Edited by - emc on Sep 08 2008 06:44:13 AM
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000