New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Romee

United Kingdom
1 Posts

Posted - Nov 21 2007 :  1:27:08 PM  Show Profile  Visit Romee's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Hi ,

I'd like to share this link with everyone. I find this kid very interesting.

http://www.paldendorje.com/pvdo.php (video 1)
http://www.paldendorje.com/vdo.php (video 2)

http://www.paldendorje.com/index.php

He has not eaten any food or water since May 2005. Already a master with all the divine (siddhi) powers.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ram_Bahadur_Bomjon

Regards, Roeme

nearoanoke

USA
525 Posts

Posted - Nov 21 2007 :  3:45:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I read somewhere that he himself asked not to compare him with Buddha and that Buddha is at a much higher level than where he is.

Go to Top of Page

yogibear

409 Posts

Posted - Nov 21 2007 :  5:00:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Rommee,

This is really an interesting person to me. I saw an article and picture about him a while back and had forgotten about him, but I like how the story is progressing. It is interesting to note the condition of his physical body considering what seems to be a lack of concern or involvement in the care of the physical body on his part.

Four days without food, water or movement! Hardly what we westerners considered a requirement for the maintenence of health, i.e., good diet and exercise. But I guess the available evidence on him, if credible, and it sound pretty credible, shows that one can transcend the rules that bind us ordinary mortals.

Thanks again, yb.
Go to Top of Page

Scott

USA
969 Posts

Posted - Nov 21 2007 :  6:06:22 PM  Show Profile  Visit Scott's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I admire his fierce determination.
Go to Top of Page

LittleTurtle

USA
342 Posts

Posted - Nov 21 2007 :  10:21:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Ha! On this link that you provided http://www.paldendorje.com/index.php
take a look at the young man's bicep. Hardly a picture of the emaciated buddha!
I love stories of yogis who have gone without food or water. Some how it inspires me so.
Here's an link to the 2003 story of Prahlad Jani.http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/south_asia/3236118.stm
He's had no food or water for 68 years.
(sorry if this has already been posted elsewhere on the forum)

Edited by - LittleTurtle on Nov 22 2007 07:26:04 AM
Go to Top of Page

Etherfish

USA
3615 Posts

Posted - Nov 25 2007 :  09:10:35 AM  Show Profile  Visit Etherfish's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Who knows if pure prana can perhaps build a bicep in some people? Everybody is different.
Go to Top of Page

Jim and His Karma

2111 Posts

Posted - Nov 26 2007 :  12:20:31 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Here's his big statement to the world. If anyone sees the slightest indication of the tiniest crumb of meditative insight or Silence in the following (in word or in vibe), they're seeing something I'm not. I see some vague sentiments and a whole lot of trite B movie superstition, the sort of thing that would be concocted by villagers trying to simulate the sort of thing they imagine to be spiritual as they perpetrate a hoax bringing them large sums of money.

--------
Murder, violence, greed, anger and temptation has made the human world a desperate place. A terrible storm has descended upon the human world, and this is carrying the world towards destruction. There is only one way to save the world and that is through ‘dharma” (religious practice.) When one doesn’t walk the righteous path of religious practice, this desperate world will surely be destroyed. Therefore, follow the path of religion and spread this message to your fellows. Never put obstacles, anger and disbelief in the way of my meditation’s mission. I am only showing you the way; you must seek it on your own. What I will be, what I will do, the coming days will reveal. Human salvation, the salvation of all living beings, and peace in the world are my goal and my path. “Namo Buddha sangaya, Namo Buddha sangaya, namo sangaya.” I am contemplating on the release of this chaotic world from the ocean of emotion, on our detachment from anger and temptation, without straying from the path for even a moment, I am renouncing my own attachment to my life and my home forever, I am working to save all living beings. But in this undisciplined world, my life’s practice is reduced to mere entertainment. The practice and devotion of many Buddhas is directed at the world’s betterment and happiness. It is essential but very difficult to understand that practice and devotion. But though it is easy to lead this ignorant existence, human beings don’t understand that one day we must leave this uncertain world and go with the Lord of Death. Our long attachments with friends and family will dissolve into nothingness. We have to leave behind the wealth and property we have accumulated. What’s the use of my happiness, when those who have loved me from the beginning, my mother, father, brothers, relatives are all unhappy. Therefore, to rescue all sentient beings, I have to be Buddha-mind, and emerge from my underground cave to do “vajra” meditation. To do this I have to realize the right path and knowledge, so do not disturb my practice. My practice detaches me from my body, my soul and this existence. In this situation there will be 72 goddess Kalis. Different gods will be present, along with the sounds of thunder and of “tangur ,” and all the celestial gods and goddesses will be doing “puja” (worship.) So until I have sent a message, do not come here, and please explain this to others. Spread religious knowledge and religious messages throughout the world. Spread the message of world peace to all. Seek a righteous path and wisdom will be yours.
Go to Top of Page

Etherfish

USA
3615 Posts

Posted - Nov 26 2007 :  07:53:57 AM  Show Profile  Visit Etherfish's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
maybe he's younger than us, but other than that, he sounds like a newbie here!
Go to Top of Page

Jim and His Karma

2111 Posts

Posted - Nov 26 2007 :  10:01:35 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
LOL!!!
Go to Top of Page

LittleTurtle

USA
342 Posts

Posted - Nov 26 2007 :  2:44:15 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Why the sarcasm
Go to Top of Page

Black Rebel Radio

USA
98 Posts

Posted - Nov 27 2007 :  08:24:01 AM  Show Profile  Visit Black Rebel Radio's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Turtle, I think it is bicep envy.

Mac
Go to Top of Page

Christi

United Kingdom
4429 Posts

Posted - Nov 27 2007 :  10:51:35 AM  Show Profile  Visit Christi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Turtle, I think it is bicep envy.

Definately bicep envy... I've come accross things like this before.
Go to Top of Page

Jim and His Karma

2111 Posts

Posted - Nov 27 2007 :  12:15:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
The kid looks mahvelous, no doubt about it.
Go to Top of Page

Kyman

530 Posts

Posted - Nov 27 2007 :  2:22:53 PM  Show Profile  Visit Kyman's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
He has gorgeous eyes.

Does the eye shape change, or seem to, because of the position of the eyes? I would imagine sambhavi would, over time, strengthen and build the muscles and fibers around and behind the eyes.

Whether the buddha boy is real or not, people would gather around him to profit from his high energy levels. Path of least resistance. Then again, I seriously wonder why, if people have these powers, they do not share them. If their goal is to shock the world into concentration?
Go to Top of Page

Scott

USA
969 Posts

Posted - Nov 27 2007 :  5:15:31 PM  Show Profile  Visit Scott's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, the eye shape changes drastically due to meditation. It doesn't have so much to do with sambhavi as it has to do with silence manifesting itself in the body...a more natural sambhavi. That's why his eyes can look somewhat "serene" with the top eyelid being kind of...relaxed? Like in drawings of the Buddha.

I was also wondering why he talked about vajra meditation. It threw me off. I thought he'd at least be doing something like a vipassana. Maybe the villagers were putting words in his mouth...maybe not. I can't speak the language to be able to tell.

All I know is that this kid sits still for long periods of time...that alone is amazing!
Go to Top of Page

david_obsidian

USA
2602 Posts

Posted - Nov 27 2007 :  5:33:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I seriously wonder why, if people have these powers, they do not share them.

They just don't have them Kyman. Same old same old. Priestcraft has been with us as long as prostitution.

Look at the quality of his 'message'. Jim is right. You won't find a mesage like that drawing large crowds. A nothing-special buddhist priest could give a sermon like that in his sleep. So if you don't have a message that can draw large crowds, why not stories of not eating?

Always watch out for someone or something that wants to fascinate you. Watch out for anthing in yourself that wants to be fascinated or wants to be fascinating.

I don't want to be 'negative', but I don't understand how people can see this sort of thing going on and not be in the least ambivalent about it if not downright disapproving. Maybe they can't see it going in?

Edited by - david_obsidian on Nov 27 2007 5:36:34 PM
Go to Top of Page

gumpi

United Kingdom
546 Posts

Posted - Nov 27 2007 :  5:39:30 PM  Show Profile  Visit gumpi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Yeah, they are stupid (pun intended where there is no pun)
Go to Top of Page

Kyman

530 Posts

Posted - Nov 27 2007 :  5:42:51 PM  Show Profile  Visit Kyman's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
That appears to be the case, David and Jim. Someone with the abilities suggested would have access to information, as well as intuitively crafted statements that would cripple institutions and revolutionize the soul. If anything, this village is doing some low level energy work. Helping to motivate people, to induce concentration via beliefs.

It will be interesting to follow the buddha boy over a long period of time. If he follows the practice, they should bring clarity, which means he'll have to reconcile his collaborations with others one way or another.

Edited by - Kyman on Nov 27 2007 5:52:07 PM
Go to Top of Page

david_obsidian

USA
2602 Posts

Posted - Nov 27 2007 :  5:59:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Gumpi said: Yeah, they are stupid (pun intended where there is no pun)

Gumpi, I wouldn't say they are stupid in general, just blind (or 'stupid') in certain specifics which can be exploited. Aren't we all? Maybe it's just a version of 'love is blind'. Or maybe, more likely, 'desire is blind'. Desire and emotions can blind you to a lot of stuff that can be seen to be obviously going on when those desires and emotions go away.

We've all seen cases of someone 'in love' who is totally deluded about the nature of someone else. Our cognitive systems have a common fault: our emotional systems sometimes short-circuit our cognitive ones. Priestcraft is all about exploiting that short-circuit mechanism.

It gets complicated because the priestcrafter and the victim become one and the same in spiritual groups. Many (maybe most) people in priest-crafty groups ("cults") are both hunter and hunted, priestcrafter and priestcrafted. Even the 'high priests' at the top of the chain are bound up in their own mythology, a mythology that often gained root in personal narcissism and/or the excess of adulation they've received.

Edited by - david_obsidian on Nov 27 2007 6:10:38 PM
Go to Top of Page

Christi

United Kingdom
4429 Posts

Posted - Nov 28 2007 :  12:26:55 AM  Show Profile  Visit Christi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi David,

quote:
Look at the quality of his 'message'. Jim is right. You won't find a mesage like that drawing large crowds. A nothing-special buddhist priest could give a sermon like that in his sleep. So if you don't have a message that can draw large crowds, why not stories of not eating?

I don't think this guy is really trying to draw large crowds. He did say to them, go home, and don't come back, and please tell everyone you know not to come here. Now unless he is using some very clever reverse psychology, it seems to me that that is a good way of not drawing large crowds.

As we don't have any proof that he eats food, I do think the burden of proof should lie on anyone who thinks otherwise. Simply infering that someone is a lier, without even a shred of evidence, is not very fair (to put it politely).
Go to Top of Page

Jim and His Karma

2111 Posts

Posted - Nov 28 2007 :  10:32:23 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
My point wasn't that his speech was oratorically disappointing. It was that it sounds like he's hardly ever meditated, much less on the cusp of messiah-hood. There's not a dab of silence or any sort of spiritual insight, just flat platitudes of the sort people who've never meditated associate with meditation.
Go to Top of Page

Christi

United Kingdom
4429 Posts

Posted - Nov 28 2007 :  11:05:15 AM  Show Profile  Visit Christi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Jim,
quote:
My point wasn't that his speech was oratorically disappointing. It was that it sounds like he's hardly ever meditated, much less on the cusp of messiah-hood. There's not a dab of silence or any sort of spiritual insight, just flat platitudes of the sort people who've never meditated associate with meditation.

Fair point... but he is basically telling everyone to *OFF as politely as possible and not to come back. How do you do that in a way that sounds like you're the Messiah? He is only seventeen. When he was sixteen he had like 5 thousand people a day coming to stare at him. I would have given up by now and found myself a nice girlfriend or something.
Go to Top of Page

david_obsidian

USA
2602 Posts

Posted - Nov 28 2007 :  12:47:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
We're dealing, as I'm saying, with the function of people's cognitive process being hampered by desire and emotion. When that happens, people can't see what they normally can see. I think we may have an example here: Look, people are in general quite familiar with double-talk: when someone says they love someone else, we do not always believe them, particularly if there is evidence to the contrary. If a used car salesman says that that car never had any problems, we do not always believe them. And so on.

But it seems that a god-man can just say something like "don't put me up on a pedestal" and some people take that somehow as strong evidence that the god-man doesn't want to be put up on a pedestal -- despite all the evidence to the contrary in the way he is behaving. This can look strangely naive to someone who views it from the outside -- really from the outside, that is, outside of the 'mood' that the god-man is establishing; outside the desire to be fascinated or fascinating.

Of course he's trying to draw large crowds Christi. It's totally obvious. There are all sorts of ways he can do his meditation without this circus going on around him. Doing it in his grandmother's basement would work nicely.

Now unless he is using some very clever reverse psychology, it seems to me that that is a good way of not drawing large crowds.

Christi, of course he's using very clever reverse psychology. That's par for the course. Almost all god-men these days say "don't worship me, don't put me up on a pedestal yada yada yada", while working to keep themselves up on the pedestal. In order to take up the throne of the Messiah, it is expected of you that you don't want that throne. Given that, is it any surprise at all that would-be messiahs make a deliberate show of not wanting the Messiah's throne? What defines their godmanship is their work to keep themselves up on a pedestal -- or, their complete lack of commitment to taking themselves down.

And sometimes they are even genuinely ambivalent about their fame. But so is Julia Roberts.

In fact, contrary to the sometimes-heard claim that "Only the Messiah would say he isn't the Messiah", the truth is almost the opposite: if someone has to go as far as to say, "No, I am not the Messiah", it's almost certain that he's fostering certain illusions about himself in himself and in others. Apart from the fact that saying "No, I am not the Messiah" is just one demonstration of Messiah credentials, a person who fosters no illusions about himself (and is genuinely humble) will be unlikely to get as far as needing to say "I am not the Messiah" at all. He just won't have to say it. He won't allow those illusions to grow in the first place. He cares about the truth about himself too much, and is clean of those desires that drive him to believe in, and cultivate, those illusions. That's real humility.

As we don't have any proof that he eats food, I do think the burden of proof should lie on anyone who thinks otherwise. Simply infering that someone is a lier, without even a shred of evidence, is not very fair (to put it politely).

I disagree. Extraordinary claims (especially which, when believed, carry extraordinary power and influence among people) demand high-quality proofs. The burden and duty is on the claimer in such cases.

If I say that the Great Ones have gotten together and appointed me World President, and I don't provide incontrovertible proof of that, you are entitled to view me as either a knave or a fool or both. If the Great Ones are real and have what it takes to appoint me World President, then they have what it takes to provide me the means to prove that I am neither knave nor fool in my making these claims. Clear the mind of its desires and fascinations and this is clear.

We are responsible for the impressions we cultivate, whether by activity or negligence; lack of devotion to the truth is a serious seed of corruption. Claiming one has (or even cultivating the notion that one has) paranormal powers that one does not have is I believe a serious moral transgression. It's all over the place in yoga. It's instituted in the culture, just as keeping slaves has been instituted in certain cultures, and in those cultures, not recognized as wrong. It is wrong. It is unholy. Just because everyone is doing it, including the great Sri Swami Holy-Ji, doesn't make it OK.

Edited by - david_obsidian on Nov 28 2007 5:52:46 PM
Go to Top of Page

Scott

USA
969 Posts

Posted - Nov 28 2007 :  1:36:36 PM  Show Profile  Visit Scott's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Jim,

quote:
There's not a dab of silence or any sort of spiritual insight...

What would silence of spiritual insight look like? To me, what he said was just fine...although I didn't understand why he's doing vajra meditation. What should he have said to make it seem like he has spiritual insight, in your opinion?

One thing that resonated with me was that he said he loses his body and mind in the meditation. This shows something.
Go to Top of Page

thomas

USA
22 Posts

Posted - Nov 28 2007 :  5:29:48 PM  Show Profile  Visit thomas's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Scott,

I do not wish to speak for Jim. It is a good question so I hope its OK if I comment too.

It is not what it looks like word-wise but what substance lies beneath the words. An example, in point, are the AYP lessons. There is an integrity, inner silence and pure beingness behind and from which each lesson springs forth. How does one know? How does one register or come to that conclusion? Because the lesson, what is behind the words resonate with the depth of one's own Self, the silence in you and go beyond satisfying just the mind or brain level. It can be distinctly felt through the spiritual heart at the core of one's innermost being. It resonates with and is realized by the Heart-Self vs the brain-mind.

I am not offering an evaluation of what Buddha boy said, just an answer to your question and a criteria on determining from whence-where, something originates.

Thomas

Edited by - thomas on Nov 28 2007 5:52:20 PM
Go to Top of Page

yogibear

409 Posts

Posted - Nov 28 2007 :  6:30:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
More recently, the Discovery Channel did record Bomjon's meditation on a 96-hours non-stop video, and for those total of 4 days, Bomjon didn't eat, drink, or move. Doctors interviewed in the documentary were stunned, and noted that for an explanation of Ram's activities, the science textbooks must be rewritten. The documentary was later packed in the special show of 'The Boy with Divine Powers'.[18]

Wikipedia

Anybody here that can do that? In full lotus, yet? Would that be an example of extreme inner silence? Extreme control of mind and body?

If it is true, he is a member a of class of a higher order of yogis. He has got some real horse power.

Actions, or perhaps in this case, lack of action, speaks louder than words.

quote:
Kyman wrote:

It will be interesting to follow the buddha boy over a long period of time.

Best wishes, yb.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000