Discussions on AYP Deep Meditation and Samyama
 Help - Feeling Sleepy After Meditation
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

zzzMonster

Singapore
38 Posts

Posted - Aug 09 2007 :  10:33:32 PM  Show Profile  Visit zzzMonster's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Hi, I just started Meditation for 2 days. The first time after I meditate, I feel alert,calm,joyful and a sense of silence. However, for subsequent meditations - I felt sleepy after doing it - am I doing anything wrong ? Am I resting not long enough ? Also, is there an adverse effect of practising in an air con room ?

I skipped 1 step and jump straight into crossing my legs and meditate. I ordered the books already,but they have not yet come

Can someone point me in the right direction. Thanks

zzzMonster

Singapore
38 Posts

Posted - Aug 10 2007 :  08:07:37 AM  Show Profile  Visit zzzMonster's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
1 more qn - Is it important to find a place with absolute silence to meditate - my father rears birds
Go to Top of Page

Richard

United Kingdom
857 Posts

Posted - Aug 10 2007 :  09:36:29 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi zzz welcome to the forum It seems you are doing really well already!!!
quote:
The first time after I meditate, I feel alert,calm,joyful and a sense of silence. However, for subsequent meditations - I felt sleepy after doing it - am I doing anything wrong ? Am I resting not long enough ? Also, is there an adverse effect of practising in an air con room ?

Nothing wrong or unusual with feeling sleepy after med or for that matter even falling asleep during med. Its all down to inner purification and in time it will pass.
Do make sure you are having enough rest after med, if you fall asleep during rest that's fine... good even... nothing to worry about you will wake feeling refreshed. I cant think of any problem associated with meditating in an air con room the main thing is to be comfortable.

quote:
Is it important to find a place with absolute silence to meditate - my father rears birds

It is not important to have absolute silence for med in time outside distractions will not effect you at all but I can see that an aviary of birds could be very noisy. Have a look at this thread about using ear plugs but bear in mind that if you can manage without them it would be better for you in the long run, you don't want to become dependent on them.

http://www.aypsite.org/forum/topic....C_ID=546#546

Hope this is of some help to you

Go to Top of Page

Jim and His Karma

2111 Posts

Posted - Aug 10 2007 :  10:49:48 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
When I lived in NYC, I sometimes meditated on the subway, which crashes and jostles unmercifully. Meditation is about letting go of externalities. As such, it can actually be helpful to have externalities to let go of (not fight against...let GO of!). On the other hand, if a beginner is made nuts by noises, smells, whatever, then finding refuge might be good until the practice really takes root. No problem with that, so long as it's not compulsive. Just be aware that the notion of getting things just right is exactly what yoga is working against. So working to get conditions just right for yoga is (as you'll soon discover) the ultimate irony!

Edited by - Jim and His Karma on Aug 10 2007 10:52:00 AM
Go to Top of Page

zzzMonster

Singapore
38 Posts

Posted - Aug 10 2007 :  8:45:42 PM  Show Profile  Visit zzzMonster's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Richard,Jim and His Karma - I suppose we are not suppose to worry too much and only start to worry if we are ready for new exercises. Also is there an adverse effect from meditating too many time per day (more than 2). I am still having my school holidays (too much time )
Go to Top of Page

thimus

53 Posts

Posted - Aug 14 2007 :  04:02:12 AM  Show Profile  Visit thimus's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
You can stay all day long as conscious, as present as you like. I use here the words Eckhart Tolle uses. A breath (breath in, short stop,breath out, short stop) without thinking. That stillness you can practice 24 h a day (lol).
Go to Top of Page

zzzMonster

Singapore
38 Posts

Posted - Aug 15 2007 :  02:04:22 AM  Show Profile  Visit zzzMonster's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Er,is bliss = buzzing noise heard in a very silent room ?

If yes,how long will it take approximately before it becomes permanent ?
Go to Top of Page

nearoanoke

USA
525 Posts

Posted - Aug 15 2007 :  1:19:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi ZZZMonster,

When I started meditation I got the same doubt too. But it helped me to know that "THE END RESULT WILL BE SAME, WHETHER YOU MEDITATE WITH EXTERNAL DISTURBANCES OR WITHOUT". For example when you hear a sound and stop doing I AM, it is exactly same as getting into a thought and stopping doing I AM. Treat external disturbances just like thoughts and come back to the mantra and you should have the same end result. Though this appeared to be hard to believe in the beginning, trust me this is true.

Ofcourse external disturbances only mean sounds. Not someone pushing you or physically disturbing you. Obviously you cannot meditate like that and it makes no sense too. Also if an interesting thing is happening around you and "you chose that" over mantra and start listening to it, then you wont have results.

-Near
Go to Top of Page

AYPforum

351 Posts

Posted - Aug 20 2007 :  09:42:21 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Moderator note: Topic moved for better placement
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000