Satsang Cafe - General Discussions on AYP
 What is inner silence
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

gentlep

USA
114 Posts

Posted - Jul 02 2007 :  2:54:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
"Inner silence" is mentioned in several places in AYP lessons. What is it and how do you quantify it?

In sriramchandra.org website, in their faq, I found the following definition of inner peace. Is that what inner silence is.

Some signs and symptoms of inner peace:
• A tendency to think and act spontaneously rather than on fears based on past experiences.
• An unmistakable ability to enjoy each moment.
• A loss of interest in judging other people.
• A loss of interest in judging self.
• A loss of interest in interpreting the actions of others.
• A loss of interest in conflict.
• A loss of the ability to worry. (This is a very serious symptom).
• Frequent, overwhelming episodes of appreciation.
• Contented feelings of connectedness with others and nature.
• Frequent attacks of smiling.
• An increasing tendency to let things happen rather than make them happen.
• An increased susceptibility to the love extended by others as well as the uncontrollable urge to extend it.

Etherfish

USA
3615 Posts

Posted - Jul 02 2007 :  8:21:08 PM  Show Profile  Visit Etherfish's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Yes these are all results of inner silence, but they don't define it.
Inner silence is something we all have inside us that is closer to what we really are than all the worldly descriptions we usually come up with.
And it causes all the things you listed as we "bring it up".

And that is brought about of course, by consistent meditation.
Go to Top of Page

emc

2072 Posts

Posted - Jul 02 2007 :  8:31:15 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
What a fabulous list! Thank you for posting that! It was very revealing for me to read since I reacted strongly on this one:

- A loss of interest in interpreting the actions of others.

I wonder when that will begin to show up in me. All the others I can say Amen to, but this one? Not a decrease yet in that interest whatsoever. Must be a severe damage from my work and background that I (= silence) have to burn away thoroughly...

But what IS inner silence? To me... it is... silent. Compact silence being silent all over the place, like a wall of silence behind all noice, through all noice and around all noice. The silence is huge, overwhelming and encompassing everything. It is beautiful and loving. It is what I AM. And it's calling me home when I'm not aware. And it says WELCOME HOME when I become aware.

Edited by - emc on Jul 02 2007 8:40:42 PM
Go to Top of Page

Anthem

1608 Posts

Posted - Jul 02 2007 :  10:13:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Inner Silence can go by other terms as well: being, the witness, emptiness, the void, no thing, nothingness, presence, spirit, God, etc.

All these point to the infinite within but are just concepts to describe the indescribable.
Go to Top of Page

sadhak

India
604 Posts

Posted - Jul 02 2007 :  10:37:55 PM  Show Profile  Visit sadhak's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Gentlep,
Yes, that is a nice watchlist for inner silence. But check lists can also anxiety. "Oh this one hasn't come up yet ... am I doing alright?" sort of thing. Or "When is this one going to show up?"

But yes, we need to begin somewhere, don't we? I'm beginning to understand why Yogani keep saying, 'Whatever works for you'. So if the list works for you to begin with...

I think we are able to 'see' ourselves as we 'see' others. What Anthem has stated as the 'Witness'. When we can see ourselves, we aren't involved witht the pain and pleasure to that intensity. Therefore, the symptoms that you describe come up.

Go to Top of Page

Etherfish

USA
3615 Posts

Posted - Jul 03 2007 :  07:38:31 AM  Show Profile  Visit Etherfish's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
sadhak wrote:
quote:
"But check lists can also anxiety. "Oh this one hasn't come up yet ... am I doing alright?" sort of thing. Or "When is this one going to show up?"

The "loss of ability to worry" will bring welcome relief of that...
Go to Top of Page

emc

2072 Posts

Posted - Jul 03 2007 :  07:49:09 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
But check lists can also anxiety. "Oh this one hasn't come up yet ... am I doing alright?" sort of thing. Or "When is this one going to show up?"

True Sadhak, It can be causing anxiety, as if it was a competition.

I expressed a similar sentence in my post above although it was not from a feeling of anxiety. More of just a statement and from a place of excited curiousity, said with a big smile.

Since I'm fond of words I subscribe to a service on the internet that means I get a short description of a word each day in my mailbox. Background and current use of the word. Very interesting. There is always a hilarious synchronicity between which words I receive and what's going on in my life.

The word yesterday was BLACK.
Today I got OCEAN...

I'm in love... I'm in love... I'm in love...

From the beginning of my life
I have been looking for your face
but today I have seen it

Today I have seen
the charm, the beauty,
the unfathomable grace
of the face
that I was looking for

Today I have found you
and those who laughed
and scorned me yesterday
are sorry that they were not looking
as I did

I am bewildered by the magnificence
of your beauty
and wish to see you
with a hundred eyes

My heart has burned with passion
and has searched forever
for this wondrous beauty
that I now behold

I am ashamed
to call this love human
and afraid of God
to call it divine

Your fragrant breath
like the morning breeze
has come to the stillness of the garden
You have breathed new life into me
I have become your sunshine
and also your shadow

My soul is screaming in ecstasy
Every fiber of my being
is in love with you

Your effulgence
has lit a fire in my heart
for me
the earth and sky

My arrow of love
has arrived at the target
I am in the house of mercy
and my heart
is a place of prayer

/Rumi
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000