Maintaining Practice in Poor Health
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Jim and His Karma

2111 Posts

Posted - Jun 04 2007 :  4:06:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Has anyone figured out strategies for maintaining practices when ill? I totally crap out at the first feeling of being under the weather. In fact, I've now missed two days of practice due to sunburn (bad sunburn, but still!).

I worry about what would happen if I developed debilitating chronic illness, or simply got old and frail.

Anyone have advice?

Etherfish

USA
3615 Posts

Posted - Jun 04 2007 :  7:30:51 PM  Show Profile  Visit Etherfish's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Isn't it pretty easy to just do mantra meditation only?
Go to Top of Page

Richard

United Kingdom
857 Posts

Posted - Jun 04 2007 :  7:49:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Not when you are in pain, like with toothache..I've been there. painkillers are the only answer to that then you can still at least do mantra med.

Debilitating chronic illness? there are forum members here who have suffered cancer I cant think of anything more debilitating than that, certainly a bit worse than sunburn anyway.

I don't know about old and frail Jim your body may age but med seems to keep your mind as alert as it has ever been and physical yoga seems to take care of the frail bit.

Lets hope that if we live long enough to get frail we will be far enough along the path for it to be of no consequence.

Edited by - Richard on Jun 04 2007 7:56:42 PM
Go to Top of Page

Jim and His Karma

2111 Posts

Posted - Jun 04 2007 :  10:14:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I can just speak for myself. If I get a cold, a sunburn, a sprained ankle, a stomach virus, it upsets my groove and I have trouble doing practice. I should have been clearer: it doesn't DISRUPT my practice, it's that I have trouble launching the practice at all. I just really really don't feel like it, anymore than I feel like going to a movie or talking to friends on the phone.

And so I worry about what would happen if I had a chronic issue.

If anyone has overcome this issue or can shed light from their experience, I'd love to hear.

Edited by - Jim and His Karma on Jun 04 2007 10:15:15 PM
Go to Top of Page

Anthem

1608 Posts

Posted - Jun 04 2007 :  10:49:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Jim and His Karma

And so I worry about what would happen if I had a chronic issue.

Hi Jim,

Can I ask, why worry about what isn't?

I observe often how the mind likes to come up with a mental strategy to a problem that doesn't exist. The mind proclaims "I will do such in such if X occurs" and feels safe for a moment or at least until the next potential problem it can invent. To me, it is a false comfort for the thinking mind which "thinks" (believes) it needs a strategy.

There is no problem unless we think there is.

Like our friend Sailor Bob says "What's wrong with right now unless you think about it?"

A
Go to Top of Page

Jim and His Karma

2111 Posts

Posted - Jun 05 2007 :  12:54:53 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I'm assuming that sometime between now and death, I'll likely have stretches of feeling less than optimal. I feel that's a reasonable assumption, and not reflective of some philosophical disjoint on my part.

Insofar as someone can share experience and insight about how they handle maintanence of practice during such periods, since my practice tends to fall apart if I so much as stub my toe, I may be better equipped to make it through such downturns. So....if anyone can share such experience and offer some insight, that'd be great.

If those who don't have any such to share prefer to just poke away at the question, well, hey, whatever floats yer boat....

Edited by - Jim and His Karma on Jun 05 2007 12:59:08 AM
Go to Top of Page

weaver

832 Posts

Posted - Jun 05 2007 :  01:21:36 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Jim,

Maybe it could be good to not expect of yourself that you have to do the full regular session if you are feeling less than optimal. Even just 10 minutes of meditation is much better than nothing, and then you honor the continuity of the practice.
Go to Top of Page

Lili

Netherlands
372 Posts

Posted - Jun 05 2007 :  04:04:49 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I found actually that practicing when you have a very bad flu actually relieves the cold symptoms while you are doing the practice so it is yet another incentive not to take a break.
Go to Top of Page

Katrine

Norway
1813 Posts

Posted - Jun 05 2007 :  06:16:20 AM  Show Profile  Visit Katrine's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Jim

quote:
I totally crap out at the first feeling of being under the weather

Meditation will increase whatever there is of uncomfort - at first. Is it this initial....increased company of pain that puts you off? Do you have a "pain fearing" history? Or....do you feel separate and aboandoned when you are ill?

I have meditated through Reumatoid Arhtritis, Cancer and severe backproblems.......whenever I am ill like that, it somehow makes me even more stubborn when it comes to practises. It's the last thing i will cut. Come to think of it, I think that I fear not being able to practise more than i fear the increase of pain. Also - I think, in my history, the ilnesses have come because i was lazy in my Sadhana (not meditation-wise - but self inquiry-wise). Everything is relative. We can't always compare. So the workings of it may be different, Jim.

quote:
I worry about what would happen if I developed debilitating chronic illness, or simply got old and frail.

After a while, you would go back to practise, Jim. You would find out that you are in greater misery without it than within it. Your Sadhana is the inner motor of your life. You would never, ever leave it permanently. It is too late for that. You are pulled in too far.

You love too much.

There might be another issue here also....
If you are "too hard on yourself"......then you might need "a break" from yourself. Any illness can serve as such. Truth comes in through many doors. The passivity of being ill.....of letting things float....if not resisted, this state itself can be observed and learned from. Simply by accepting it as it is. This is also Sadhana.

I wish you all the best

Go to Top of Page

Manipura

USA
870 Posts

Posted - Jun 05 2007 :  07:18:27 AM  Show Profile  Visit Manipura's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Jim: You wrote the following in reference to changing our external locations during meditation; it may be applied to our changing physical states, since we often have little control over that as well. I see physical and emotional pain as yet another challenge to be got around during meditation. Like adding weights to the barbell, it makes you stronger.

quote:
Salvation and Meg, everything around us and in us appears to be changing all the time. The rate or amplitude of that change is not relevant to meditation. Our silence is eternal and unchanging, so regardless of how we attempt to "stabilize", everything in our experience revolves around that silent fixed point, like the sky around the fixed North Star. If it weren't so - if we could stop the sky - it'd be a lot harder to find the north star! If anything, it's better to have the contrast be stark.

Go to Top of Page

Richard

United Kingdom
857 Posts

Posted - Jun 05 2007 :  07:32:27 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Jim

I can honestly say that Ever since I started AYP I have never been disinclined to practice in fact I have become become obsessional about it, this is not because I think I should or any sort of discipline I am just obsessional. I get upset and anxious if anything interferes with my practice such as, pain or any sort of illness I will still try.

I am not really sure whether this sort of obsessional approach is good or bad but there you are that's how it is for me so I cant help you with strategies I have never needed them. Perhaps its bhakti, maybe I have an obsessional nature maybe I just love my practices

I think the worse thing that could happen is if I had some sort of illness where I had to be laying down all the time. when I meditate I feel myself enter a slightly altered state and when I try to meditate laying down this just doesnt happen for me.

Edited by - Richard on Jun 05 2007 07:46:26 AM
Go to Top of Page

Jim and His Karma

2111 Posts

Posted - Jun 05 2007 :  12:20:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks guys. Again, my issue isn't that I don't "like" to meditate when sick, or have problems within the meditation. It's just that I don't feel like even starting. When i'm sick, meditation is added to the very long list of things I don't feel like doing.

So let me try this:

If you have a fever and nausea... that icky spinning feeling where you can't even imagine reading a book or doing work....do you meditate?

If not, then how much better do you need to feel before you do meditate? How, where, and why do you draw the line?

If so, what mental mechanisms do you use to get up the energy to do practice?

Edited by - Jim and His Karma on Jun 05 2007 12:20:56 PM
Go to Top of Page

Anthem

1608 Posts

Posted - Jun 05 2007 :  12:48:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:

I'm assuming that sometime between now and death, I'll likely have stretches of feeling less than optimal. I feel that's a reasonable assumption, and not reflective of some philosophical disjoint on my part.

Insofar as someone can share experience and insight about how they handle maintanence of practice during such periods, since my practice tends to fall apart if I so much as stub my toe, I may be better equipped to make it through such downturns. So....if anyone can share such experience and offer some insight, that'd be great.

If those who don't have any such to share prefer to just poke away at the question, well, hey, whatever floats yer boat....

Sorry about that Jim, I certainly didn't answer the question very well. I had the feeling that my post had the potential to be received this way but didn't listen.

My apologies, no offense was intended.

A
Go to Top of Page

Kyman

530 Posts

Posted - Jun 05 2007 :  12:57:14 PM  Show Profile  Visit Kyman's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Meditation for me is like the blob, it just goes into every aspect of my life. Delusions, dysfunctions, a funks run like people through the town, as this blob chases them down. Well, this is one way to look at it.

I was disabled by a drunk driver as a teenager, and I am still recovering from it physically. It is amazing what yoga does for the body, as it is a personalized process that is best for the individual.

First I built the connections within so I could suckle the fulfillment of spirit instead of needing pain meds, television, or drama. As this became established, my body began pursuing various injuries, and dysfunctions related to deal with or heal first. It doesn't sound like much, but anxiety issues connected with emotional drama cycles, along with debilitating physical injury, addictive medications, and cultural and family mojo added to the mix can be a real bundle to undo. Thank heaven for....heaven.

From migraines to chronic back pain, concentration has been the greatest asset. An impartial salvation which always accepts when I ask by tuning my mind's attention to spirit.

The first true healing I ever had was the forgiveness of everything I ever thought about myself, and thus life. Everything has flowed since that single moment where I dissolved into an open channel with the source.

Edited by - Kyman on Jun 05 2007 1:08:52 PM
Go to Top of Page

Katrine

Norway
1813 Posts

Posted - Jun 05 2007 :  1:07:26 PM  Show Profile  Visit Katrine's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Jim

quote:
If you have a fever and nausea... that icky spinning feeling where you can't even imagine reading a book or doing work....do you meditate?

Of course not. But I can still contact the presence (by remembering that it is here). Many times a day. Even if i don't meditate in these states.... I pray - literally - that whatever it is that needs to be cleaned out gets cleaned out naturally. I also pray for understanding....

Running a high fever (or being sunburned) or suffering from severe nausea are not chronic debilitating states. They will last a few days tops. This is not a problem.

quote:
If not, then how much better do you need to feel before you do meditate? How, where, and why do you draw the line?

If I can read a book/newspaper or watch TV, go for a walk.....; then I am also capable of meditation.

quote:

I watch the mental mechanisms that keep the resistance to practise in place. I watch to see if i can understand why/what i am resisting.
If understood, the mental mechanism will drop (usually through some kind of emotional release) - and then the energy is "back".
Go to Top of Page

Katrine

Norway
1813 Posts

Posted - Jun 05 2007 :  1:25:08 PM  Show Profile  Visit Katrine's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Kyman

Thank you for sharing that.
You have certainly experienced the vulnerability of life. In spite of/because of your accident, you have managed to stay open. Which is the same as accepting vulnerability. Thank you for this!

Life is insecure.
I am fragile.

But if I can accept this, and not fight it, then.....this relaxation....this growth....will result in beauty. One way or another - it will become obvious that we are bigger than ourselves.

Go to Top of Page

Manipura

USA
870 Posts

Posted - Jun 05 2007 :  1:43:24 PM  Show Profile  Visit Manipura's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Kyman - what an experience you go through, and so quietly, as least to us. That's an amazing story. You clearly have s lot to give as a result of it.

Jim - I wish I had the enthusiasm that you do for meditation. I don't look forward to it as much as you do, ever. But once I'm there, I'm there. It's like going to the gym. Some people live for their workout. I go without passion, do my routine, and leave. If I don't feel like going, I go anyway (usually) and once I'm there, I'm there, and the energy comes. Same with meditation. When I'm feeling a little achy or at death's door, I tell myself to just sit for 5 minutes. I force myself to do the 5 minutes, and at the end of it, I have the option of quitting or going another 5 minutes. And so it goes, and I don't think I've ever stopped at 5 minutes. It's just a way of tricking my mind into submission.
Go to Top of Page

Kyman

530 Posts

Posted - Jun 05 2007 :  1:44:55 PM  Show Profile  Visit Kyman's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Totally.

And to those who aren't sure yet, not only can you heal back to the way you always were, you break the mold and surpass even your own expectations. You heal and grow into more than you ever were before.

Healing with a 150%.

Acceptance is less of facing the cold hard facts of life and more about opening a doorway to unfathomable change. It first feels like we are swallowing a bad taste of medicine, when in reality we are taking the first step to recreating our lives in the most perfect intuitive order.

I'm glad I could share. Thanks.
Go to Top of Page

riptiz

United Kingdom
741 Posts

Posted - Jun 05 2007 :  2:09:15 PM  Show Profile  Visit riptiz's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Jim,
I remember when I learnt TM that we were told that during illness there was no restriction on meditation practice as it was a way of regaining health.Unfortunately you have problems meditating at all during illness.
May I make a few suggestions?
1) If possible practice Anulom Vinom pranayama daily as a means of regaining health quicker.
2) Call in healing energy from God and soak up the energy to aid healing.
3)Lastly if you cannot manage either of these then I suggest listening to the Divine Sound as you sleep to aid recovery and to continue on your journey. http://dhyanyogi.omdasji.googlepages.com/home for link.
L&L
Dave
Go to Top of Page

Shanti

USA
4854 Posts

Posted - Jun 05 2007 :  4:11:43 PM  Show Profile  Visit Shanti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:

Thanks guys. Again, my issue isn't that I don't "like" to meditate when sick, or have problems within the meditation. It's just that I don't feel like even starting. When i'm sick, meditation is added to the very long list of things I don't feel like doing.

So let me try this:

Take a break Jim. At times it is natures way to force you to self pace. If you don't feel like you can get yourself to do your routine for the day.. just take a break and don't feel guilty about it. In a day or two, you will feel better and you can pick up on your routine.

I go through phases when I have severe headaches.. and I don't feel like meditating.. Since AYP suggests not to skip meditation.. I will sit for meditation, but with a migraine dominating the meditation, it is hard to "i am".. so I skip the meditation and just go through the after meditation rest for the full 20 mins at times.. and at times for a couple of days if required.
Go to Top of Page

Etherfish

USA
3615 Posts

Posted - Jun 05 2007 :  8:08:22 PM  Show Profile  Visit Etherfish's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
For nausea or dizzyness I just fast and can't do anything. But for any other sick feeling, I fast, and do strenuous exercise for an hour or two. It has to increase heart rate and breathing, and make me sweat for it to work.
For some reason it makes me feel not so sick, then i can meditate.
Maybe at those times I need maximum grounding.

Edited by - Etherfish on Jun 05 2007 8:09:42 PM
Go to Top of Page

Jim and His Karma

2111 Posts

Posted - Jun 06 2007 :  12:42:27 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Anthem11My apologies, no offense was intended.

Anthem, I wasnt' offended in the least and no apology is necessary! If I sounded slightly testy, it was because I've seen threads here and on other forums wildly deviate in topic. and while that's perfectly ok (I don't want to be a thread Nazi!) I really wanted to ALSO try to get some advice with the specific thing I was asking about....along with the inevitable spreading out! :)

Edited by - Jim and His Karma on Jun 06 2007 01:01:24 AM
Go to Top of Page

Jim and His Karma

2111 Posts

Posted - Jun 06 2007 :  12:50:21 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks, all

Katrine, a big "yes" to maintaining presence (and laying heart way open whenever I can think of it). That is still accessible to me when ill. But one thing AYP has taught me is that those sort of freelance opening things, while helpful and I think important, are just no substitute for practice. In fact, doing that stuff without meditation practice often turns out to take me on mind trips. Yogani's right...meditation is the thing. Other things may help, but it's got to build on meditation. At least that's been my experience.

Shweta, i'd take a break, but I've had a string of health problems lately, preceded by a major family emergency that left me too anxious to practice, and it's reaching the point where I'm starting to feel like I'm using these situations to avoid practice....i.e. amplifying whatever negative impulses inside me oppose practice. That said, when I do practice, I don't feel like I'm ploughing old turf, so to speak. In terms of shakti and silence, there's no falling off despite the pauses. So you may be right....

Meg, totally agreed on the trickery. In fact I'll add a corollary: if you tell yourself you're just going to sit for a sullen minute, that will be the best 20 min meditation of the week! But my problem is when I'm feeling crappy I just can't get started, any more than I could get started baking a cake or alphabetizing my cd's. And if that's the case during minor health issues now, when I'm relatively young and healthy, I worry what's going to happen when I lose that exuberance, accummulate more serious health issues, etc. It'd be prudent for me to establish NOW a more solid habit of meditating even when not feeling my best. Sigh, I'll work on it.

Kyman, great posting. I don't have any friction nearly that dramatic to work against...if I did, it might be easier, 'cuz I'd be geared up to do battle with the health issues, y'know? BTW, I think you (and anyone else) would find this book very interesting: http://www.amazon.com/Waking-Transc...p/1594863024

Edited by - Jim and His Karma on Jun 06 2007 12:58:31 AM
Go to Top of Page

Jim and His Karma

2111 Posts

Posted - Jun 06 2007 :  12:56:58 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
The other problem is that I always fall asleep during the rest period (yeah, I'm a mess!).

And naps are terrible for me. They're as addictive as crack...I start getting woozy and low blood pressured at the exact same time the next day....
Go to Top of Page

Jim and His Karma

2111 Posts

Posted - Jun 06 2007 :  01:03:59 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Riptiz, thanks. I'm not having anything so terrible happening...just garden variety health annoyances. I'm more displeased with my practice abandonment reaction than I am with the annoyances themselves!

Etherfish (man, this is the first time I've ever said this), you make me feel old. As an old man of 44, when I feel crappy I'm just NOT going to exercise it out of my system. I crawl into bed and seek sympathy from anyone who'll pay attention. if I had flannel, I'd wear it.

Edited by - Jim and His Karma on Jun 06 2007 01:04:47 AM
Go to Top of Page

Shanti

USA
4854 Posts

Posted - Jun 06 2007 :  08:00:40 AM  Show Profile  Visit Shanti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:

The other problem is that I always fall asleep during the rest period (yeah, I'm a mess!).

And naps are terrible for me. They're as addictive as crack...I start getting woozy and low blood pressured at the exact same time the next day....

Actually I don't think you are a mess.. it's just your body's way to overcome deep fatigue. Like you said above you have gone through a lot with health problems and family emergencies.. and now I think the sleep during the rest period is doing you good.. you need it. It is not addictive I assure you.. just a phase... http://www.aypsite.org/forum/topic....ID=1475#1475
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000