AYPsite.org Forum
 Books, Web Sites, Audio, Video, etc.
 Body, Mind, and Sport
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Jim and His Karma

2111 Posts

Posted - May 11 2007 :  10:54:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Very interesting mass-market-oriented explanation of a yogic approach to exercise and sports. It's a bit hyperbolic and self-helpish, but there's a lot of really good stuff here. i thoguht it would be too "lite" for me, but, on contrary, the book gave me a much clearer understanding of the problem of a striving attitude in asana (let alone jogging and weight lifting, which I'd always approached with a nearly Bulgarian grimness). And the linkage to AYP (in terms of the necessity of cultivating and integretating both energetic action and stillness) is absolutely patent.

Body, Mind, and Sport by John Douillard
http://www.amazon.com/Body-Mind-Spo...p/0609807897

Edited by - Jim and His Karma on May 11 2007 10:56:51 PM

Sparkle

Ireland
1457 Posts

Posted - May 12 2007 :  01:27:54 AM  Show Profile  Visit Sparkle's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Jim
Your post is very timely for me because I have just started experimenting with gym work and meditation.
I have gotten unfit because of injuries but getting back now.

Last night I tried a workout and then almost immediately did some meditation. It was ok, my system was still probably very busy so I didn't appear to go deep - but that would not necessarily bother me if I thought the benefits were there.

I am planning on meditating before a workout to see the effects.

Of course these experiments would have to be done over time, so perhaps you could give some insight into what would be a useful regime - or am I on the wrong track altogether?

Thanks
Louis
Go to Top of Page

Etherfish

USA
3615 Posts

Posted - May 12 2007 :  08:56:17 AM  Show Profile  Visit Etherfish's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Sorry to interrupt- I'd like to see Jim's answer to your question also.

Yes, it's hard to meditate deeply after exercise- and meditating first will improve your exercise session! The only exception for me is if I am falling asleep, just a little exercise like 20 push-ups will wake me up enough so I can meditate without falling asleep.

My preference for exercise is using no gym equipment at all except a pull-up bar and sticky mat. All my exercises use body weight only, and it's much easier to retain and improve flexibility that way. Some people use weights and then do flexibility exercises, but then you're doing twice as much work.
Go to Top of Page

Jim and His Karma

2111 Posts

Posted - May 21 2007 :  10:13:40 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Sorry, somehow missed these replies.

I'd suggest meditation, then asana, then workout. Don't try to meditate after workout, when you're all worked up. And if you meditate before, you can use that silence in your workout, which is precisely what the book talks about.

The great thing about this book is that it suggests a way to use meditative silence to prevent the sort of anguish/stress many of us feel when we are pushing ourselves physically.......to keep the workout as smooth as any other facet of our lives. One big help is to never breathe with open mouth, which creates a flight-or-fight reaction. Another is to never let pulse and breathing rate get fast. The system is about building up one's capacity without resorting to the sort of flailing panic reaction. The author reports success in training even long distance competitive runners to win races with very low heart/breathing rate (this is a different thing from the theory of low heart rate exercise, currently popular....the latter doesn't stress achieving very high output under very high loads with low pulse/breath rate). It's all about the silence. He also talks about "the zone", which so many athletes talk about. He thinks it's a result of silence.

Etherfish, handstand works really great for quick invigoration, too. Easier to do and a bit less extreme is uttanasana (touch toes) or downward dog.
Go to Top of Page

Sparkle

Ireland
1457 Posts

Posted - May 21 2007 :  2:37:06 PM  Show Profile  Visit Sparkle's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, a few days ago I tried meditation and then went to the gym.

I could feel the extra silence in the workout and in fact was able to push myself much more without appearing to overdo it. Caution however, the result of this was a lot of body ache a couple of days later - I had overdone it on a physical level without realising it.

Another thing I tried was leaving out samyama after the meditation and instead doing it in the sauna after the workout. This just happend more by accident than anything else, but it felt good. Brought me back to my sweat lodge days

That evening and the following day I could feel the enhanced sense of peace combined with the benefits of the workout.

Go to Top of Page

Jim and His Karma

2111 Posts

Posted - May 21 2007 :  9:55:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
sparkle, this author makes the case that body ache is a result of improper warm-down. You may not be doing enough warm down.
Go to Top of Page

Sparkle

Ireland
1457 Posts

Posted - May 22 2007 :  03:58:25 AM  Show Profile  Visit Sparkle's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Had a look at the Amazon excerpts, it seems that the book could, as you say be a good compliment to AYP for someone interested in physical training of any sort.
Also a way to bring people into AYP from the athletics field, or simply from the perspective of keeping fit.
Go to Top of Page

Lili

Netherlands
372 Posts

Posted - May 22 2007 :  09:19:43 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
What do you mean by nearly Bulgarian grimness?

Go to Top of Page

Jim and His Karma

2111 Posts

Posted - May 22 2007 :  11:03:28 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Memories of Bulgarian weightlifters in olympics past. Apparently humorless and joyless, all bull strength. Purely stereotype, but trying to convey my approach.
Go to Top of Page

Etherfish

USA
3615 Posts

Posted - May 22 2007 :  6:35:28 PM  Show Profile  Visit Etherfish's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
But I think it is important to increase your heart and breathing rate on a regular basis. It not only feels good from endorphins, but stimulates the immune system.

Louis, the sauna is good for stretching too. It's easier to stretch when warm, making me curious about doing asaunas!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000