AYPsite.org Forum
 Satsang Cafe - General Discussions on AYP
 India
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Neesha

215 Posts

Posted - Sep 24 2006 :  12:57:36 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Seetaram all devotees,

I was told by 2 persons I need to return to Asia..........for a purpose
My entire 29 years of this beautiful life have been dreaming of India......exactly what these persons revealed I saw the same thing

I read so much about her..........all the holy locations..........My Guru and his beautiful discourses give me greater inspiration to go there.....

I was wondering if there are people in this forum from India to tell me more.....

I need to get first hand experiences of your village....the people...their lifestyle....their problems.........the children......the temples.....

My ancestors,especially my grandpa parents came to the West Indies with his parents ....in their time they were indentured labourers
they spoke Hindi ....

they still do

I am in the process of learning Hindi.....with my hectic lifestyle....wow its a challenge...

I guess making a trip to India is one of my greatest dream right now...

Namaste

aditya

82 Posts

Posted - Sep 24 2006 :  07:12:39 AM  Show Profile  Visit aditya's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Sure nsantoo. India is diverse - you need to tell where do you intend to visit. I think there are quite a few folks from India (myself included).

The Hindi that you people speak is different than what is spoken in India. Your Bhojpuri is a little different too. We have something like your Chuntney music - it is called Jhankar beats - but not really as good. Food is different in all Indian states (sometimes you will find 3-4 distinct food style in one state), but that is enjoyable.

Females should not venture out in odd hours(not even males) - that is not advisable. Himalayan towns are pretty peaceful and crime is less - except when there is some funky people(generally European - that is what I have read) - who gets into drugs, crime, sex and murder. But that lot is pretty easy to spot and you can avoid them easily. They pretend to be persuing something and they are not straightforward.

Have no misconception about human nature - as you are female and as you are not familiar with that part of world - you need to be cautious. I do not intend to install fear in you - but just to keep your eyes open - your trip will be wonderful.

You can find Internet cafe/phone booth all over India. Calling other side of world is easy and almost as cheap as calling from your personal phone. Incoming on cell phones is free.

It is wise if you know a little bit of cooking - it takes a while for anyone to adjust to Indian food. Water filter is must.

Do not trek in areas very close to Chinese and Pakistani border.

Fun things: Definitely visit Himalaya - every part is different. I like western side as eastern side gets more rain. If you get chance - visit Mount Kailash thru Nepal ( you will need Chinese visa I guess). Going from Nepali side is cheaper and wait time is less. I am sure you will love Mount Kailash! You need to get medical certification before that.

If you plan to visit Shaktipeeths - do so. You will love them.

YWCA hostels could be easy place for your stay in metros atleast.

P.S You have my email ID - feel free to email me details of where your forefathers are from - I will love to help you trace your roots. Many people from my state too were taken as slave to West Indies and Fiji by British government. Do you speak Hindi/Bhojpuri?
Go to Top of Page

Neesha

215 Posts

Posted - Sep 25 2006 :  01:31:45 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
[quote]Originally posted by aditya

Hi Aditya,

Thank you so much for the information. I intend to go on a tour maybe next year. You wouldn't believe how much I gained from what you told me....

Diversity I am accustomed too...

Yes darling I can cook I was once a housewife...

I prefer to prepare my own meals and plus I can go without food or water for long periods....(I beginning to see how useful some things are becoming....)

yes I shall be very cautious about what I eat....alot of friends warned me about this.....

I have no idea as to where the tour will take us I guess when we actually pay for the package then we shall know...,

I have no intention of wondering around alone especially in foreign countries.....
I now started learning hindi I have no idea which dialect it is....
neither what my grandfather can speak...
I shall ask my dad which part his parents are from....I'll have to do alot family tracing since it seems that everyone in trinidad is related

I really want to make my trip worthwhile....
I heard from my dad's friend there are areas where people are poverty stricken and he ended up sharing away all his stuff
.......I just want to be prepared...

thanks for the info on Mount Kailash....

it seems as though I would have go through alot of paperwork and visas to reach these places
a year planning is not sufficient
I have a few friends whom I chat with from india .....I don't think I should have a problem with a translator....or good company

After the tsunami I was horrified about alot of things but I guess this is a major stepping stone....

Personally I would like to visit certain holy places and I cannot remember the exact names and spelling right now....

but I shall work on it....so maybe you can tell me more.....

Again thanks alot..
Go to Top of Page

mysticyogi

17 Posts

Posted - Sep 26 2006 :  12:44:16 AM  Show Profile  Visit mysticyogi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Kashi, Banaras, Badrinath, Kedarnath, Rishikesh, Haridwar...

My friendly suggestion is to choose a well known and reliable travel agency/guide.

Edited by - mysticyogi on Sep 26 2006 05:15:12 AM
Go to Top of Page

Neesha

215 Posts

Posted - Sep 28 2006 :  8:36:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
hi,

again thanks alot to all you wonderful people.....for your responses

Namaste
Go to Top of Page

Neesha

215 Posts

Posted - Oct 20 2006 :  11:39:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
hi all,

I would like to wish all of you a happy divali

Divali is a festival of lights........to Mother lakshmi

This is a big celebration throughout Trinidad

It requires alot of prepartions for tomorrow ..Saturday......is the holiday dedicated for this celebration....and the entire country will light deyas........it is indeed a wonderful experience.

To my friends in/from India Happy Divali and may god bless you!!!!
Namaste
Go to Top of Page

prana608

2 Posts

Posted - Nov 04 2006 :  11:07:09 AM  Show Profile  Visit prana608's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I am a also of West Indian origin. I went to India for the first time last year. I traveled thoughout Kerala and this year I will be traveling throughout the Tamil Nadu region.
I have traveled extensively around the world, but I have NEVER encountered anything as powerful and beautiful as the soul of this country. cannot be described in words, one had to experience it to understand it. Most Westerners, including some very savyy travelers fear India as they are caught up with negative and completely deformed images of the country's culture and its people.

I highly recommend you read Osho's India My Love; a beautiful book that sums up all that I cannot put into words. He does this by recounting beautiful stories, anecdotes and legends. The pages are graced wtih sublime pictures of this country I am sure you will fall in love with too.
namaste
Go to Top of Page

Neesha

215 Posts

Posted - Nov 07 2006 :  2:44:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks I needed this
Go to Top of Page

Neesha

215 Posts

Posted - Nov 18 2006 :  09:45:41 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
hey Asia doesn't necessarily mean India........

I am seeing the place ........and myself.........

lots of people.........

but I am hovering over the people.........

it is almost as if the people underneath me are asking to be saved or something......

anyway the place is an open wide plaza like .........

the people are of all kind rich, poor,children.........

I am trying to see if there are any monuments ....so that probably
you guys can help me figure out where exactly it is......

Its kinda hard to recall every detail.......I'm trying
Go to Top of Page

Neesha

215 Posts

Posted - Nov 21 2006 :  5:53:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi all,

Some info on India........interesting stuff especially for someone outside of the country

http://www.crystalinks.com/india.html

This site also inspired me

namaste
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000