Books, Web Sites, Audio, Video, etc.
 The Secret Movie
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Hunter

USA
252 Posts

Posted - Aug 23 2006 :  12:09:04 PM  Show Profile  Visit Hunter's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
http://www.thesecret.tv/

Has anyone seen this movie yet? What is it? I have not seen it, my friend noticed that the DVD's keep selling out at the bookshop where she works.

http://www.threeworldwars.com/archi...t-review.htm

Hunter

USA
252 Posts

Posted - Aug 24 2006 :  12:37:45 AM  Show Profile  Visit Hunter's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I just viewed this documentary/film. I loved watching it. It is a great boon for sadhana.
The DVD is available, but I would suggest purchasing it for viewing on the computer for about $5.
Go to Top of Page

Kyman

530 Posts

Posted - Aug 24 2006 :  8:16:05 PM  Show Profile  Visit Kyman's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, it's a beautiful thing to see.

I veiw the people behind this, and similar projects, as our spiritual big brothers and sisters.

A collective of spirit is almost like a parent figure to us. That is why capitolism is really weakening the country.

The producer/consumer relationship should be reciprical, as in, both working to the impersonally derived good, or good of the actual whole. These days, what should be our parent figures are actually manipulative and parasitic.

The secret is a beautiful movie because its design is to empower the individual in the greatest way possible.

Two thumbs up.
Go to Top of Page

alan

USA
235 Posts

Posted - Aug 25 2006 :  5:15:24 PM  Show Profile  Visit alan's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hello

I enjoyed the movie. The content was information about which most of us here are probably already aware, but good to see this kind of thing being offered to "the public." I liked the faith part (letting the energy move in its natural way without any stunting interference from our limiting worries and attatchment to expected outcome) about not digging up and checking on the planted seed before it sprouted. I didn't like the focus being a somewhat materialistic one. There seemed to be a lot of people wanting things of temporary happiness like bikes, houses, cars, and physical attractiveness. While these are nice things to have they end with physical dissolution. At least that drive was presented in a positive light showing us that we already have abundance. Most people do seem to want to have the law of abundance give them what they want. The masses have yet to reach the starving point for "God" first and foremost; The One beyond all need of desire for abundance. Peace
Go to Top of Page

emc

2072 Posts

Posted - Oct 06 2006 :  12:57:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I just saw the movie and got confused...

I have read elsewhere that the intentions you make will only manifest if it is for the good of both you and the whole. If you solely have an intention to gain for selfish reasons it will not happen. But in the film they claim that anything will happen, independent of level of selfish intents.

And a basic question I have had for a very long time that noone have been able to answer is: What if 2 persons have opposite intentions on the same situation/issue/whatever? Which one will manifest? For example in a relationship. If one love dogs and puts out the intention of having a dog some day, and the other one hates dogs and puts out the intention of having a dog-free life... Which intention will manifest?
Go to Top of Page

Scott

USA
969 Posts

Posted - Oct 06 2006 :  1:13:49 PM  Show Profile  Visit Scott's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Emc,

That's exactly the reason why I choose not to pray for specific things. Because I know that in doing so, I may be messing up other people's prayers.

Good questioning!
Go to Top of Page

Wolfgang

Germany
470 Posts

Posted - Oct 06 2006 :  2:38:42 PM  Show Profile  Visit Wolfgang's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by emc

Which intention will manifest?

probably the intention with more power/energy/faith
(whatever you want to call it) will win.

But concerning your example 'pro dog - no dog':
the situation starts out with the status 'no dog',
therefore it takes more effort to change physical 3D-reality.

If the person who likes to have a dog strongly wishes
for it, then some stray dog may appear and she brings it home.
If however she is aware that the other partner hates dogs,
then her wish/desire is already weakened/extinguished.

To elaborate on your example, you need to state the
kind of relationship between them ...

Edited by - Wolfgang on Oct 06 2006 2:46:35 PM
Go to Top of Page

emc

2072 Posts

Posted - Nov 11 2006 :  1:17:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I found a piece of text that explains something to me that is very important in relation to The Law of Attraction that is explained in The Secret! It is directly an explanation of the paradox I have been thinking of, namely the one about the conflict between the law of attraction and the law of balance or "pendulum". One says "mind creates reality" - if you think positive life will manifest in a positive way and the same with the negative aspect. The other says "after sun comes rain" - life is BOTH light and dark, accept the turns - the pendulum will always swing until you have dropped all concepts of light and dark, good or bad, likes and dislikes; accept both and make them irrelevant, then the pendulum will rest and peace will enter! Dualism will disappear, unification will occur.

quote:

Man's world is the world of his mind. His mind is the source of his personality, ambition, like and dislike, good and bad. In everything man is either for or against. - - ...the world of mind where like attracts like and opposites repel. - - - The eternal law, contrary to the law of man's mind, is that heat attracts cold and cold attracts heat, until a balance or equilibrium is reached. - - - ...this attraction of opposites, each tending to cancel the other out, is a process of de-creation; but that it always stops arbitrarily at the point of balance needed to support life. If it were allowed to continue past that point, the opposites would eventually unite like desire and its fulfilment - and the creation would disappear. Nothing would remain except the state that existed before the creation began.

The precise opposite to this process is man's self-centred creation, his world, in which like forces attract each other - like attracts like and hate attracts hate. Man's world is an attempt to create something within the creation itself. This is a clumsy sort of reverse process that is self-propagating instead of self-cancelling, divisive instead of unifying. If man has his way, the "likes" and "hates" will continue to grow and spread untill the whole world condences into immovable blocks of intractable opinion. But man does not have his way: war and fighting see to that. In man's self-centred, self-conscious world, war and strife are necessary equivalents of the violent fucntion of nature in the natural world. They are life's way of breaking down the monolithes and providing the breathing space for them to breed again.

As nature through the law of opposites uses violence and destruction to preserve and replenish itself in perfect harmony, so the discordant man-made world depends on war and strife to preserve itself in perfect disharmony.

From "Knowing yourself" by Barry Long
Go to Top of Page

yoginstar

Netherlands
78 Posts

Posted - Nov 15 2006 :  5:11:57 PM  Show Profile  Visit yoginstar's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
A colleague sent me the URL for watching the entire video online for free mentioning that it might give us tools for worldpeace: http://www.thescienceofgettingrich.biz/ -
Unfortunately, I have only had the patience to watch 9 minutes of it, for I have to sit through some very pushy mindstuff here..apparently, & correct me if I am wrong about this film -- On the other hand, I was just now able to listen with ease and great joy to 45 minutes of Yogani's radioshow so wonderfully reproduced online on this forum!! :-))

Go to Top of Page

Scott

USA
969 Posts

Posted - Nov 15 2006 :  7:03:25 PM  Show Profile  Visit Scott's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Yoginstar,

I think you're absolutely right about the film...but that's just my opinion.
Go to Top of Page

Sparkle

Ireland
1457 Posts

Posted - Dec 06 2007 :  11:37:30 AM  Show Profile  Visit Sparkle's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi

Just came across a dialogue between "The Secret" and "The Work" by Byron Katie:

http://www.byronkatie.com/2007/04/t..._the_wor.htm

An excerpt as follows:

The Secret: “You can have whatever you want.”
The Work: “You can want whatever you have.”

The Secret: “My will be done. I know what’s best for me.”
The Work: “Thy will be done (=Thy will is done). What’s best for me is what actually happens.” (In A Thousand Names for Joy, Katie says, “God’s will and your will are the same, whether you notice it or not.”)

The Secret: “You can control your thoughts.”
The Work: “You are not the thinker. It’s not possible to suppress your stressful thoughts. But when you question them, they let go of you.”

The Secret: “You can manifest your positive thoughts as reality.” The Work: “Reality already is the best thing that could be manifested. When you realize this, you’re home free.”

Go to Top of Page

Christi

United Kingdom
4429 Posts

Posted - Dec 07 2007 :  05:47:03 AM  Show Profile  Visit Christi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi all,

quote:

Sparkle wrote (or rather quoted):

The Work: “Thy will be done (=Thy will is done). What’s best for me is what actually happens.” (In A Thousand Names for Joy, Katie says, “God’s will and your will are the same, whether you notice it or not.”)

The Work: “You are not the thinker. It’s not possible to suppress your stressful thoughts. But when you question them, they let go of you.”

The Secret: “You can manifest your positive thoughts as reality.” The Work: “Reality already is the best thing that could be manifested. When you realize this, you’re home free.”

Wow... good to read this. I had a really uneasy feeling when I watched The Secret, like "this is all wrong". I felt like it was all upside down. The kind of, "desire whatever you want, and you'll get it and be happy forever" thing just made me feel slightly sick. I had this feeling like: "It just doesn't work like that", and that's what the real secret is, that it doesn't work like that. Desire for material wealth just leads to despair, and desolation. All you have to do is look at all the really rich people, and watch them loose everything as they die, and it's really obvious. This is what every spiritual teacher has ever taught, from Jesus and the Buddha up to the present day.

This movie really smacked of a kind of "get-rich-quick" commersiallism. We are already heading down that road and destroying the world in the process, how much more can we take?

Sorry... two thumbs down!

quote:
Emc wrote:
What if 2 persons have opposite intentions on the same situation/issue/whatever? Which one will manifest? For example in a relationship. If one love dogs and puts out the intention of having a dog some day, and the other one hates dogs and puts out the intention of having a dog-free life... Which intention will manifest?

There aren't two separate wills... there is only one will, there always was. What happens will happen according to Her will, it always has.

Christi

Go to Top of Page

Anthem

1608 Posts

Posted - Dec 07 2007 :  10:37:41 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
There aren't two separate wills... there is only one will, there always was. What happens will happen according to Her will, it always has.

Christi

Hi Christi,

I think it is hard to refute that there is diametrically opposed energy within the universe. All we have to do is look within our own mind/ bodies to see it. The existence of the universe is hinged on the play of opposites. I see separate wills as ourselves opposing ourselves energetically, this is what makes the experience of duality possible. As our energy becomes accepting, instead of opposing, duality falls away to reveal that it is all one.

A

Go to Top of Page

emc

2072 Posts

Posted - Dec 10 2007 :  2:33:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I have seen this, and I feel it doesn't give justice to the film. I've seen the film several times now and there's some adjustments I'd like to make.

On the contrary, they state it very clearly in the film that controlling your thoughts is impossible. You will go nuts if you do. The key is not to control your thoughts, it is to put out intentions and then wait for the universe to respond. (If someone sees a similarity with samyama there I don't think it's any coincidence.) They also point out that luckily postitive thoughts/feelings manifest a lot more easily than negative ones, so that the agony over the impossibility to stop negative thoughts will decrease. The focus is NOT on altering thoughts or try to get rid of something, but to start to add gratefulness and positivity into your life.

Thus, the Secret agrees with that.

The Secret: “You can manifest your positive thoughts as reality.”

It is not expressed like that. It is shown that thoughts manifest by the law of attraction. And they mention that all those outer things we want is not what's making us happy. It's the other way around. When you are in harmony, the universe responds with abundance. I think many of us can testify the reality of that! The more inner stillness, the more miracles in our lives.

The Work: “Reality already is the best thing that could be manifested. When you realize this, you’re home free.”

An ultimate truth. The Secret is for those who haven't reached this plateau yet. I think the film is a great help for many to start to reflect over their own thoughts. A great starter for self-inquiry. It has helped many of my friends.
Go to Top of Page

Sparkle

Ireland
1457 Posts

Posted - Jun 11 2008 :  08:56:18 AM  Show Profile  Visit Sparkle's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Adyashanti on The Secret

http://ie.youtube.com/watch?v=pGKWn...ture=related
Go to Top of Page

Etherfish

USA
3615 Posts

Posted - Jun 11 2008 :  7:48:19 PM  Show Profile  Visit Etherfish's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
About conflicting wills:
Things are not what they appear to be, because in the case of "dog" or "no dog", the two personalities are not a blank slate in all regards except for the dog issue.
One person may hate pets in general because of the imagined trouble and mess and extra responsibility. The other person may love only certain dogs because of having one before, and the unconditional love dogs give to humans.
So you see these people are not in exactly opposing viewpoints in regards to dogs.
Then when you take into account the give-and-take in all other phases or their individual personalities,
for instance who gives more, who cleans up more, who cares more, who is at home more, etc., you see that rarely is a disagreement even on both sides, leaving only willpower to decide.

As for the "Work vs Secret" controversy, I sort of alternate between the two. I occasionally imagine "I would really like to have things this way", then follow that with "I know the direction things are headed is what's best for me."
That way i feel my positive thoughts may have an influence, but only if that's what is best for me.
I think about some of the things I dreamed of in the past, and can see they would not have been good for me at all had they manifested, so I indulge in my dreams, then let them go.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000