New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Alvin Chan

Hong Kong
407 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2006 :  12:48:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
There are some major differences this time, I think. First, it's posted by someone else, secondly it's bare-bone. When the name "yogani" is mentioned by someone else, it sounds much greater and more famous, isn't it?

May be keep it this way for sometime first, before adding anything? To make sure it sticks.....
Go to Top of Page

yogani

USA
5201 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2006 :  1:15:05 PM  Show Profile  Visit yogani's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Alvin Chan

When the name "yogani" is mentioned by someone else, it sounds much greater and more famous, isn't it?

Maybe there are some advantages to mythologizing after all, though I'm sure David would disagree.

The guru is in you.
Go to Top of Page

david_obsidian

USA
2602 Posts

Posted - Aug 14 2006 :  10:26:10 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Yogani, I know you are sort of joking, but if I take the idea seriously, I think it depends just on what the 'mythologizing' means, and how far it is going. The more innocent and pure end of mythologizing runs into a continuum with ordinary PR (Public Relations), so it's probably best not called mythologizing.... It's the less mild end of it that is problemmatic --- and it can be quite insidious, so 'less mild' doesn't necessarily mean 'very visible' in this case.....

However, I am happy to say that I have seen Yogani
(i) say he doesn't know
(ii) apologize
(ii) ask for ideas and suggestions
which is all genuinely counter to the self-mythologization of the insidious kind. It's genuine and truthful anti-pedestal behavior, cultivating a mature relationship with other intelligent beings.
Go to Top of Page

Alvin Chan

Hong Kong
407 Posts

Posted - Aug 14 2006 :  11:06:49 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
On the other hand, the fact that Yogani remain anonymous somehow mythologize him a bit. Though he certainly did enough to balance out that effect self-disclosures that a guru with name won't tell you.
Go to Top of Page

david_obsidian

USA
2602 Posts

Posted - Aug 14 2006 :  11:12:44 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
On the other hand, the fact that Yogani remain anonymous somehow mythologize him a bit.

True, but in this case I think the motivation is that he doesn't want to have an invasive, hard-to-control-and-limit public life. Nothing wrong with that IMO. Nothing wrong with wanting to be able to turn off the computer and with that, be done completely with the whole yoga-teaching business and then have a quiet, private, anonymous life until you next turn the computer on again.

Which all just goes to show that a little mythologization will come for free whether you want it or not, which is why it is has to be labored against.

Edited by - david_obsidian on Aug 14 2006 2:56:40 PM
Go to Top of Page

trip1

USA
739 Posts

Posted - Aug 14 2006 :  11:32:11 PM  Show Profile  Visit trip1's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Alvin Chan

May be keep it this way for sometime first, before adding anything? To make sure it sticks.....

Hi Alvin,

Agreed. In the meantime, we'll just shift focus back to adding external links to other articles and creating new articles on practices. Then in a month or so (if it sticks), we can start expanding the Yogani article a bit.

Brett

Edited by - trip1 on Aug 15 2006 03:03:12 AM
Go to Top of Page

Alvin Chan

Hong Kong
407 Posts

Posted - Aug 15 2006 :  10:04:09 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
By the way, I'm starting my second book review on amazon, this time the anatomy of hatha yoga which is quite popular. Not much time now, though. Got to rush through my thesis and I'm looking for a 9-5 job which is not quite common here Otherwise I don't know if I can keep up with my practice!
Go to Top of Page

yogani

USA
5201 Posts

Posted - Jan 10 2007 :  11:38:28 PM  Show Profile  Visit yogani's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi All:

It should be mentioned that Brett never gave up on AYP's worthiness to be in Wikipedia, and after several go arounds since last summer, has convinced the powers that be that AYP belongs. As of today, the AYP page (enhanced) has been restored with deletion tags removed. Bravo!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yogani

The guru is in you.
Go to Top of Page

weaver

832 Posts

Posted - Jan 10 2007 :  11:53:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I say the same and thank you for your hard work Brett!

(The first external link should probably point to www.aypsite.org ?)
Go to Top of Page

yogani

USA
5201 Posts

Posted - Jan 11 2007 :  12:08:29 AM  Show Profile  Visit yogani's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by weaver

I say the same and thank you for your hard work Brett!

(The first external link should probably point to www.aypsite.org ?)

Hi Weaver:

Brett used the Geocities site because it does not have the AYP book covers on it. Wiki frowns on articles that point to "advertising." Nevermind that "notables" like Chopra and Tolle are selling stuff all over their websites. The difference between them and us is that they have been on Oprah -- we don't want to rush into that one.

The guru is in you.
Go to Top of Page

Shanti

USA
4854 Posts

Posted - Jan 11 2007 :  07:46:51 AM  Show Profile  Visit Shanti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Brett.. You the Bestest..

I know how infuriating the process is.. So hats off to you Sir

Edited by - Shanti on Jan 11 2007 09:07:39 AM
Go to Top of Page

trip1

USA
739 Posts

Posted - Jan 11 2007 :  3:43:42 PM  Show Profile  Visit trip1's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you for the kind words.

I'll be expanding the article in the coming months, so if anyone has any ideas or would like to help, please let me know.

Edited by - trip1 on Jan 11 2007 3:47:20 PM
Go to Top of Page

Shanti

USA
4854 Posts

Posted - Jan 14 2007 :  09:47:00 AM  Show Profile  Visit Shanti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by trip1

I'll be expanding the article in the coming months, so if anyone has any ideas or would like to help, please let me know.

Hi Brett,
Let me know if I can help in any way...
Go to Top of Page

trip1

USA
739 Posts

Posted - Jan 14 2007 :  3:07:56 PM  Show Profile  Visit trip1's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Shweta,

Thank you for the offer, it is appreciated.

As you may have noticed I've run into another bump in the road with the Wikians, but if we get by this one I could definitely use some help with expanding the article. I'll keep you updated.

Brett
Go to Top of Page

Etherfish

USA
3615 Posts

Posted - Jan 14 2007 :  5:26:30 PM  Show Profile  Visit Etherfish's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Why is it being considered for deletion? Is it because of lack of citations from relevent third party sources?
Are there articles about yogani or AYP? maybe the radio interviews would help?
Go to Top of Page

Shanti

USA
4854 Posts

Posted - Jan 14 2007 :  6:36:00 PM  Show Profile  Visit Shanti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Etherfish

Why is it being considered for deletion? Is it because of lack of citations from relevent third party sources?

Ether, if you click on discussion and history and http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipe...i_%282nd%29, you will see why Wiki has tagged it for deletion. Brett has done a great job so far defending the article. He does have the radio interview there too.

Edited by - Shanti on Jan 14 2007 6:40:34 PM
Go to Top of Page

yogani

USA
5201 Posts

Posted - Jan 16 2007 :  11:37:21 AM  Show Profile  Visit yogani's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Etherfish

Hi Ether:

Yes, third party interviews and reports is the primary shortcoming we have with Wikipedia, particularly in magazines and newspapers. There is currently nothing suitable out there in the print media in the way of independent articles on AYP.

The radio interviews will help, but what we really need is independent articles in print that can be referenced.

If anyone here has a background in public relations, especially in setting up interviews for print publications, then we could sure use your help. I am willing if willing interviewers can be found.

The guru is in you.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000