Other Systems and Alternate Approaches
 forgotten chakras?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

brother neil

USA
752 Posts

Posted - Dec 06 2011 :  12:41:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
well I have done some yoga for about six years now and in that time I have had some high highs and low lows. I have been studying recently under a guru, who like yogani and others say the guru is within. anyways, one of my issues has always been grounding, and still recently as well.

not to long ago i started meditating outside in a chair with my feet directly on the ground. every meditation that way has lead to a feeling in the right side of my chest, very peaceful states afterwards, on one occasion after i felt waves of energy pulsate upwards to my crown, one wave about every three seconds, throughout my whole body.

after starting this I did a little reading on chakras in the feet and it seems that some traditions believe that chakras in the feet are very important especially for grounding and also releasing negative energy to be purified by the earth, and help to deal with excess energy. That is what I have read says but as we all know how does it work for you/me is the true test

I have not felt peace after meditations on such a consistent basis and sometimes going into the meditation I have felt very negative but carried on with my meditation and felt much more peace afterwards. for the initial few days i felt my feet tingling all day, the next day after this meditation, for I do it in the evenings. i don't feel it now so much in my feet, however that may have had something to do with the day i felt the pulsating energy waves up my body which may have helped to open up the upward channels.

In a sense I am at a stage of my life where i don't care much to give advice, however sense this meditation has helped i decided to write about it.

some of the readings that i googled searched talk about ways of opening up the foot chakra, for instance put a glass of water and salt between your feet and lay down, however my logic likes to keep it simple, if we need connection with the earth and for our feet to be grounded so our heads can be in the clouds, meditating, which I do anyways, with my feet on the ground should be sufficient and seems logical to me.

namaste and blessings
brother Neil

Kim

Finland
56 Posts

Posted - Dec 06 2011 :  4:53:33 PM  Show Profile  Visit Kim's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
The lower end of the Kundalini current reaches 2-3 meters/6-9 feet below the torso to the Earth Chakra. This chakra is connected with, what the Taoists and Zen culture calls "lower dan tien" or hara in Japanese.

In Zen Buddhism it is usual for beginners to spend a few years solely meditating this area because it has so much meaning with rooting and bringing balance to the nervous system. In Indian based yoga, this is pretty much forgotten concept, though traces of it can be seen.

I think this is the "first base" so to speak and it is the first thing any spiritual seeker or meditator should study and learn. I have written a lot of this in my book which is just about to the be published in English :)
Go to Top of Page

cosmic

USA
821 Posts

Posted - Dec 06 2011 :  5:30:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by brother neil

after starting this I did a little reading on chakras in the feet and it seems that some traditions believe that chakras in the feet are very important especially for grounding and also releasing negative energy to be purified by the earth, and help to deal with excess energy.

I wonder if cosmic samyama has this effect... It begins with the feet, then knees, then moves up the chakras and beyond...
Go to Top of Page

brother neil

USA
752 Posts

Posted - Dec 06 2011 :  6:11:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
thanks for the reply kim. One of the interesting things I that I do not have any preconcieved notions on effects i will feel, for example the energy waves up the body, but yet they happened and since it was a smooth experience I take it as a good sign. I also have had better dreams and I had an inner voice talking to me this morning while I was half asleep, half awake. SO hopefully this will put things on the up and up, I do feel more peaceful after meditations. What I read also talks about helping to ground out and release demonic/negative energies so to speak. so thanks for the reply and positive feedback.

you could be right cosmic but might want to ask yogani about that.

Namaste
Brother neil
Go to Top of Page

Swan

India
256 Posts

Posted - Dec 06 2011 :  10:29:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
In this context, following AYP I have experienced palm chakra one night in the last week (though not the foot chakra - not yet). After mild energy rush from root towards sacral chakra after going to bed, I felt this palm chakra sensation.

It was like I had the weight of a glass full of water on my palm, and it was still pressing further (not to the point of pain). The pressure was located like a circle, and in this circle, energy was moving clockwisely (this is why I am calling it chakra), like a radar they show in those action movies. The sensation was stronger in the left palm than the right.

Not sure what it was, and I did not bother much as this happened only once among other sensations, and I let it go as some 'under the hood' stuff. However, the foot chakra reminded me of this.

So probably the chakras will not forget us even we do at times! - just a thought.

Namaskar
Go to Top of Page

Amfreenow

USA
27 Posts

Posted - Dec 10 2011 :  8:19:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Of course Yogani minimizes these perceptions of chakras and nadis, probably with good reason. On the one hand there are many folks who never experience energetics of any kind despite their best efforts over long periods of faithful yoga practices, , probably because of the state of their vasanas they were born this time with.

And on the other hand, having been incarnated with more favorable state of vasanas, the pure of heart may experience many things like this that may cause a longing and general dissatisfaction for those that don´t experience all these things. So too the extent that we don´t want our fellow yogis to feel some dissatisfaction and loss of faith in their practices, fearing their meditation related practices might be somehow flawed, or that they are somehow unworthy, because they never experience these chakras and energy flows, it may be wise to not dwell too much on energetic phenomena, because experiencing energetics is really irrelevant to everything, though a favorable guidepost to those that get them, but not an unfavorable sign to those that dont. However, having said that, there are many chakras that the yogi may experience sooner or later. there are energy pathways that when meditating in corpse pose, ´may be felt, that spiral up from the feet spiralling into the ankle, continuing to spiral through the calves into the knees, and spiralling through the thighs into the pelvic area. But that is of not much interest really, fascinating though it might be when you first experience all that energetics. Of more interest to me is the integration of the entire energy system so you are fully aware of the entire system simultaneously right on up from the toes to the top of the head. This is favorable for further deepening states of samadhi with apprearance of thoughtlessness, and so. The head chakras are the most amazing in terms of the appearance of the awakening of an intuitive faculty, as neuronal pathways integrate as a result of yoga practices, culminating into realization through intuition of our potential, with visions of what we must do, and where we have been, and OBEs, but ultimately, to understand so many things that are teachings unmistakably, and to witness our teachers on the higher mystical plane that we may visit, in full clarity, but much of this is undescrible and unmentionable. Just keep up your practices, try adding kechari mudra too if possible.
thanks my friend.

Edited by - Amfreenow on Dec 10 2011 8:49:15 PM
Go to Top of Page

brother neil

USA
752 Posts

Posted - Dec 11 2011 :  11:06:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
thanks for the post am free now, one of the things that came up after I started doing this was "why did the guru not tell me about or instruct me on this before" However would I have listend and in essence, like your reference to yogani, the gurus may find it best not to overload the disciple and keep the practices more limited. as far as getting caught up in the experiences of energy sensation, as you referred to, I see the positive ones as a good sign post, and hope for the future however i dont look for them. Thanks for the pointer on kechari mudra, care to elaborate on why it was mentioned, I have not studied the mudras a lot.
namaste,
Brother Neil
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000