Discussions on AYP Deep Meditation and Samyama
 Relationship between DM and Samyama
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Vayu

USA
40 Posts

Posted - Sep 23 2011 :  8:23:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Hi everyone, I have a question on the relationship between DM and Samyama. It feels to me like DM, when it becomes more 'refined', becomes very much like samyama with small differences. Ill briefly describe what I experienced today:
While doing DM today, I think the whole process refined to a state that felt very much like Samyama. As I kept coming back to the mantra, I decided to 'think' the mantra instead of 'sounding' it, where there is a subtle movement in the throat,tongue and some other places inside the head. While 'thinking' the mantra, it felt like its almost like Samyama. I realized that the mantra is being formed very close to a silent/fuzzy space, whereas in Samyama, the mantra is formed directly from the silent space.

I understand Samyama to be residing in the silent space, and dropping/thinking a mantra once every 15s, and letting the mantra vibration slowly fade away, until the next drop. Well, what happened while DM was that the mantra became really faint, fuzzy, and a constant/continuous stream of smooth vibration that also spread in some parts of the body. It was like i was "coming back to the mantra" continuously, like a constant flow. I suddenly realized that this continuous, fuzzy mantra that was happening is like staying continuously in the middle of the 2 states of samyama: (1)the high-peak mantra drop , and (2) the low valley silence. Another analogy would be: if there are 2 distinct states of a stringed instrument: (1) the high-plucked sound and (2) the steady-state silence(un-plucked). Imagine what it sounds like as (1) slowly fades to (2) and staying in the middle(half-way) of that. Im not sure if that makes much sense, but thats what the 2 practices seem like. If what I just described makes sense, then my question is: Is 'refined' DM almost the same as staying between the 2 distinct states of samyama? As in, staying in a continuous flow with the mantra, where the 'coming back the mantra' keeps happening continuously without a 'break' and the mantra is really fuzzy/smooth/everywhere in the body?

Or, does the process of DM continue refining where this "middle" state slowly moves closer and closer, subtler and subtler to silence, until its in silence the whole time?

Thanks for any comments :)

Edited by - Vayu on Sep 23 2011 8:38:35 PM

Bodhi Tree

2972 Posts

Posted - Sep 24 2011 :  11:21:03 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bodhi Tree's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Greetings Vayu,

I think it is very important to distinguish between the mantra of DM (I AM) and the sutras of samyama (love, radiance, unity, etc.). The mantra is a meaningless sound that is intended to refine itself in silence--bringing the mind to stillness. The sutras, however, are subtle thoughts with meaning that are meant to move outward (as opposed to constantly refining to silence--though the sutras use silence as their fuel, they still maintain their meaning and propensity to manifest).

The goal is to hover above silence as closely as possible when picking up the subtle thoughts/sutras. I think of sutras as "essences"--the most sublime drops of divine design that manifest in creation constantly. I think of the mantra more as a solvent--"this message will self-destruct in 5 seconds".

In DM, there is only following and refining (no letting go, just repetition). In samyama, there is picking up and deliberately (albeit ever-so softly) letting go.

If you are unable to distinguish between silence and the "state" between samyama repetitions, then I think that is a beautiful un-knowing and merging of the inward/outward flow you so wonderfully describe in your post. It sounds like you are diving right in and swimming beautifully.

Glad to be here with you.
Go to Top of Page

Vayu

USA
40 Posts

Posted - Sep 26 2011 :  10:56:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hello Bodhi Tree, thank you for your reply. After reading your post, I realized that I had some misconceptions on some parts of samyama and reread the lessons. It really is different than DM; silence-> the subtlest thought/feeling and fading to silence, which is completely different than how I was originally thinking it was.

By the way, is the purpose of Samyama to allow the nervous system to remember the original essences of those sutras/feelings( by skipping all our old associations) so that in daily life, we are more likely to experience these essences instead? If so, what is a good sutra to deal with high-stress, office situations? "Calmness"? "Relaxed" ?

Im considering adding Samyama to my daily practice but Im not sure if I have enough silence yet. What I experience as silence is subtle vibrations in the head with no verbalized-thoughts. But obviously me noticing this is a thought. So its most likely not real silence, which is much more subtle than that, right? In that case, is it too early to add Samyama?
Go to Top of Page

Bodhi Tree

2972 Posts

Posted - Sep 27 2011 :  3:27:51 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bodhi Tree's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Vayu
By the way, is the purpose of Samyama to allow the nervous system to remember the original essences of those sutras/feelings( by skipping all our old associations) so that in daily life, we are more likely to experience these essences instead? If so, what is a good sutra to deal with high-stress, office situations? "Calmness"? "Relaxed" ?

Aha! A perfect answer to your "calmness" question is provided by Mr. Yogani himself in the Samyama book (which I highly recommend):

"So, say we’d like to experiment with a sutra to increase calmness in our life. In that case, we could add bronchial tube to our sutra list for several sessions and see what comes out of it. By experimenting with one sutra at a time in our already stable routine of samyama, any effects will be more easily noticed and associated with the addition of the individual sutra. If we add on two or more sutras, it will be difficult to know what is doing what, and also difficult to sustain a stable practice, especially if we are adding on and taking off multiple sutras. Remember, it is very important to be methodical in samyama practice."

In the appendix of the Samyama book, there is a whole treasure of sutras from Patanjali. Also, Yogani says we can create our own--the key is consistency.

In terms of when to start Samyama, at first I started prematurely and went a little overboard with all the AYP practices--trying to rapidly accelerate like a wild man. But I backed off and waited until there was a real sense of inner silence and strong bhakti calling for it. In short, you will know. Your intuition will tell you. There's no rush, so in my opinion, it's better to take your time then try and bust through. Then again, you have to ride the wave of your bhakti as it surges from deep within. LOL--no perfect answer, it's unique for everyone.

quote:
By the way, is the purpose of Samyama to allow the nervous system to remember the original essences of those sutras/feelings( by skipping all our old associations) so that in daily life, we are more likely to experience these essences instead?

I completely and totally relate to the feeling and sensation of "remembering" during samyama. It's a faint, familiar, exhilirating yet wonderfully comfortable remembrance. It's not so much that we're creating these essences as invoking them from our ancient memory. During samyama, I've also had the strong thought: These are all the same! Because in a way, they are...inextricably linked through the incredibly live presence of stillness.

Keep on rollin', and may you continue to know stillness in your own unique and connected way.
Go to Top of Page

Vayu

USA
40 Posts

Posted - Sep 28 2011 :  10:51:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you Bodhi Tree. I am continuing to wait for more inner silence to come up first before I add samyama, as you already mentioned. Focusing on SBP and DM until then is probably more efficient in terms of time saved, since Samyama does need inner silence to be effective according to Yogani. So, ill cultivate that first and then move to samyama.

Thanks once again for your help and support

Go to Top of Page

jeff

USA
971 Posts

Posted - Sep 29 2011 :  11:06:47 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
[br
Im considering adding Samyama to my daily practice but Im not sure if I have enough silence yet. What I experience as silence is subtle vibrations in the head with no verbalized-thoughts. But obviously me noticing this is a thought. So its most likely not real silence, which is much more subtle than that, right? In that case, is it too early to add Samyama?

Another way to think about Samyama is actually the combination of DM and Spinal Breathing. In SB, you are working on "intent" or energy flow. In DM, it is silence. Samyama is bringing intent (or energy) into the silence.

Vibrations (or energy) in silence is basically it. For stress, try it with a word like "peace" and see what happens. As the energy vibrates around the the word, you will know it.

Go to Top of Page

Etherfish

USA
3615 Posts

Posted - Sep 29 2011 :  7:09:39 PM  Show Profile  Visit Etherfish's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Check out this other thread that talks extensively about the difference between meditation and samyama. It goes into great depth, with lots of input from Yogani:

http://www.aypsite.org/forum/topic....OPIC_ID=9738
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000