Discussions on AYP Deep Meditation and Samyama
 Relativity of deepness
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Shimon

Israel
59 Posts

Posted - Sep 19 2011 :  03:45:58 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Hi everyone !
I'm in an experimental phase with Deep Meditation.
I realized that with the short "I AM" mantra i get overloaded... even if i meditate for only a few minutes. I was suggested to try the long mantra "SHREE OM SHREE OM I AM I AM NAMAH NAMAH". I saw that with this mantra the effect is more subtle rather than aggressive but still it takes me deep. On the other hand though, i still get overloaded from only meditating for 3 minutes. the overload was significantly less than from the short "I AM" mantra. but still. it happened.
I took a week and a plus off practice. I got the idea maybe to try to do the long mantra but repeat it only for 2-3 times. So i did today.
I repeated it 2 times.
Felt i little bit tired and energy running in the body...
But, i started to wonder if this amount is enough ???
when i meditate for few minutes afterwards usually i feel a big opening. It didn't happen with repeating the mantra for just 2 times. Although i can say i still had some sort of an effect.
My question is, is there any relativity in deepness when it come to mantra ?
meaning for example: if i repeat the mantra for 2-3 times does it go deep enough like from repeating it for a few minutes (or longer) ?
Now i'm not talking about the overall impact... of course that from a longer period of time of repeating mantra the impact will be greater. But i'm asking about it's deepness and efficiency... regarding this, does time period play role ?
Thanks
Shimon.

woosa

United Kingdom
382 Posts

Posted - Sep 19 2011 :  08:37:34 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Shimon

I can't really help you with your question.

But would it be better to focus on your breath when meditating, and then in a few months change to the long mantra?

With you repeating the mantra a couple of times where is your attention for the rest of the time in meditation? Might as well focus on your breathing?

Replacing the Mantra with Breath as the Object of Meditation
Go to Top of Page

Shimon

Israel
59 Posts

Posted - Sep 19 2011 :  2:22:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
When i repeat the mantra i'm with the mantra in my mind, the focus is there although i feel like energies are coming up in the body (hands, legs, arms, in particular)...
I prefer the long mantra meditation over breath meditation because this mantra meditation designed specifically for cleansing the nervous system. it is not the same (impact) as with breath meditation, as i know.
Go to Top of Page

woosa

United Kingdom
382 Posts

Posted - Sep 19 2011 :  5:58:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Shimon

Yes, it is the same for me: with the mantra I do feel energy sensations when using it. What do you mean by overload? Comfortable energy sensations are fine and a sign that something is happening. If there is pain, headaches, strong emotions then back off.

I just thought that if a mantra is too much for you to handle at the moment it would be better to use the breath meditation. This is so you are having a good 15-20 minutes of meditating.

If you are only repeating the mantra once or twice because of overload then the rest of the meditation could be wasted because you are not focusing on breath or mantra. (that's what I thought) .

Go to Top of Page

jeff

USA
971 Posts

Posted - Sep 19 2011 :  6:30:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Shimon,

It sounds like you are giving "intent" or energy to the mantra. You are probably focusing on the mantra (and also your head), which can lead to overload problems. SHREE OM SHREE OM I AM I AM NAMAH NAMAH probably works a little better than I AM, because it is more complicated and harder to focus intent on.

Try not to pay attention to the mantra. DM is more like mindlessly repeating and listening to the mantra. As an experiment, you may want to try just "listening" to relaxing music. When you are truly listening, you will notice that the music seems to get louder.

Go to Top of Page

nearoanoke

USA
525 Posts

Posted - Sep 19 2011 :  7:02:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Jeff,

I probably might be doing that too. Giving Intent/Energy and Focusing in the head.

How to not do that? I think it is hard not to do that. I dont want to be checking myself often in the meditation which can be ineffective. Do you have any suggestions on how to skip that?

- Near
Go to Top of Page

woosa

United Kingdom
382 Posts

Posted - Sep 19 2011 :  7:32:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi near.

Yeah I don't focus with intent on the mantra. You won't go very deep (although that is not something to strive for either , confusing). I can't really explain how to relax because then you are confusing the very simple process. Easily favouring is the best way I think explains it.

All I can say is that I say the mantra in the same easy way that I breath: not much thought goes into it.

The solar centering enhancement helps with taking away locating the mantra in the head, or anywhere else other than the solar plexus.
Go to Top of Page

jeff

USA
971 Posts

Posted - Sep 19 2011 :  9:32:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Near,

It is a very common thing to do, particularly when you can feel the energy. The energy feels good, so you unconsciously (or consciously) give a push to get the feeling. Woosa makes some very good points. It is hard to try to make something simple. Solar centering (or heart) could be helpful because it may pull you away from "thinking" about the mantra. As I suggested above, you could also try working on just listening to music. Finally, if you are identifying with I Am, you might work on a session with a new mantra. For this kind of issue, it helps to do it back-to-back. That way it is harder to focus and it becomes more of a meaningless drone.

Go to Top of Page

Shimon

Israel
59 Posts

Posted - Sep 20 2011 :  03:00:47 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi,
Thanks for the responses.
Hmm.. i don't know if i really FOCUS on the mantra, i just repeat it with attention. ill try to do it more simply though i don't know whether i will succeed. anyway, i was just wondering about the deepness in relation to time of repeat of the mantra. because i notice that if i repeat the mantra just 2-3 times, i have some energetic effect (i feel energies running in the body) and then i get a little tired. But i don't have that feeling of opening as from repeating the mantra for minutes... so i was wondering whether the amount of time of the repeated mantra play role in the deepness of purification or cleansing...
?
Go to Top of Page

woosa

United Kingdom
382 Posts

Posted - Sep 20 2011 :  07:46:24 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Shimon

I know what you mean by the deepness achieved by repeating constantly to only repeating a couple of times. It seems that you can go deeper by the the couple of repeats.

However, in meditation we do not want to strive for experiences that we favour. Some sessions we can blackout and other times we can just have the mantra constantly being repeated for the full 20 mins (that's been the story of my life for a few months ).

By focusing on breath/mantra our attention is constantly on that. If we only repeat the mantra a couple of times our attention is elsewhere and with that we will probably go into thoughts or sleep. One thing is for sure we are not meditating!

So with your history of your kundalini awakening and being oversensitive I would definitely recommend that you build up to 20 minutes with breath meditation. You may not go as deep as you would like, but please stick with it. With all these energy sensations going on you need inner silence to balance it out. Once you are balanced you can start adding the I AM mantra and see how that works.

I repeat the second enhancement back-to-back for 20 minutes and it can give me a energy sensations in the heart, third eye and crown. It builds up over the time I sit. These sensations are not interefering with my attention of the mantra, or giving me pain etc, so I can continue repeating it for the 20 mins. If I only said the mantra a few times I doubt much would happen in the sensations department. I would probably just fall asleep!

Go to Top of Page

Shimon

Israel
59 Posts

Posted - Sep 20 2011 :  08:33:14 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi woosa !
Thanks for the response
I'm not so willing to switch to breath meditation because i tried it for long period of time before i met AYP and nothing really happened for me with this breath meditation, i was constantly complaining that i don't feel any effect from this meditation what's so ever. Plus, as i understood, Breath meditation and Mantra meditation (DM - AYP) are different. AYP-DM is designed for purifying the nervous system while breath meditation is not really like that. My goal are not experiences or deepness of meditation. when i was talking about deepness i ment the deepness of the purification/cleansing/opening... not deepness of experience (like falling down some wonderful hole).
Thats why i want to stick with mantra meditation. and the long mantra meditation seem to work better and more subtle than the short "I AM" mantra meditation. (less "side effects")
My only concern with the long mantra is that those sensations that u described (sensations in the heart, third eye, crown) i feel them too (not all, mostly the heart, arms and legs, and spine).after i done meditating and lie to rest i usually (from a few minutes of DM) feel quite a big opening in the body and the heart and i really can tell that things are clearing out.. and that's my goal.
But when i repeat the (long) mantra only for 2-3 times .. hmm .. well i still feel some effect of falling down into relaxation and silence while i meditate. and i also feel energies coming up in hands, arms and legs.. but then i lie to rest and there are some energy movements but there is no feeling of opening up of things and the heart.. just some energetic movements on some level...

Edited by - Shimon on Sep 20 2011 08:37:48 AM
Go to Top of Page

Shimon

Israel
59 Posts

Posted - Sep 20 2011 :  11:32:05 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi again !
I think i understood a couple of things.
I did the long mantra meditation again two hours ago (with repeating it 3 times). I come to understand that this is not enough and i got an idea. First i want to say that the comment about not focusing too hard on the mantra was helpful. This time i just loosen it up a bit and repeat the mantra just as simply. without intent or to much focus or effort. It really does feel smoother and better. Thanks for that !
The idea that i got is to do the long mantra meditation again but repeat the mantra until i feel i went deep enough. cuz' this time when i repeated it 3 times i felt the good effect of relaxation coming down upon me but i stopped as i planned and i felt it wasn't enough i didn't go deep enough. so next time ill repeat the mantra again and again and in the second i feel i went deep enough ill stop. and that will be it. not to go with to too much too long and not less.

Shimon.
Go to Top of Page

jeff

USA
971 Posts

Posted - Sep 20 2011 :  12:16:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Shimon (& Woosa),

If you can feel the "vibrations" after 2 or 3 mantra repetitions, you can also probably feel them during normal daily activities. The "vibrations" are not really a product of the mantra, it is the "full body listening" to the mantra. The next time you go for a walk (or listen to music), try quieting your mind and see if you don't feel them.

After a while, you start to realize that all of life can be a meditation.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.07 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000