Satsang Cafe - General Discussions on AYP
 Law of diminishing returns and yoga?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

wakeupneo

USA
171 Posts

Posted - Jan 11 2010 :  11:17:02 AM  Show Profile  Visit wakeupneo's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
For the past couple of months I had been doing a kundalini yoga(Ani Bret and Ravi Singh) video diligently. I missed maybe a couple of days during that period.

Initially I had great results. I feel the energy pulsating through my body, tingling, serious root chakra stirring, I had so much energy that at times I felt a bit manic.

However after the first month, much of the phenomena has faded. I feel as if the video has dramitically lost their effectiveness.

Having been a body builder for some time. There was a dynamic were your body would get used to your workout routine and you would stop seeing results. Therefore it was essential to constantly change workouts and change routines to stimulute (tear) your muscle.

I was wondering if the energetic body is similar in this regard.

Can your yoga practice plateau? Does the law of diminishing returns correspond to energetic sadhanas?

Any and all feedback would be much appreciated!

Love,
J

Ananda

3115 Posts

Posted - Jan 11 2010 :  11:40:36 AM  Show Profile  Visit Ananda's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
hi J, can't have my say about what you're practicing but when this kind of thing happens in AYP we step things up by adding more practices or prolonging practice time.

on the side, when i first started to practice Self inquiry i used to experience the bliss of the Self and certain other stuff but then it went into stillness more and more even to the dry kind but very still whereas my AYP deep meditation practice involved a lot of inner silence and the same kind of stillness but on top of that their was a lot of the kundalini fireworks present which made it more alive but this isn't the case all the time sometimes it's the same as in Self enquiry.

anyways i asked David Godman author of "Be as you are" including other books on Sri Ramana's teachings and direct disciples; where's the bliss and the experiences that were there and he replied with the following:

quote:
It is common to have blissful experiences at the beginning of one's practice, but often these states become less frequent or disappear later on. There is nothing wrong with this. The aim of enquiry is to isolate the one who has the bliss, not indulge it with experiences.

L&L,

Ananda
Go to Top of Page

wakeupneo

USA
171 Posts

Posted - Jan 11 2010 :  12:08:27 PM  Show Profile  Visit wakeupneo's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Ananda

hi J, can't have my say about what you're practicing but when this kind of thing happens in AYP we step things up by adding more practices or prolonging practice time.

on the side, when i first started to practice Self inquiry i used to experience the bliss of the Self and certain other stuff but then it went into stillness more and more even to the dry kind but very still whereas my AYP deep meditation practice involved a lot of inner silence and the same kind of stillness but on top of that their was a lot of the kundalini fireworks present which made it more alive but this isn't the case all the time sometimes it's the same as in Self enquiry.

anyways i asked David Godman author of "Be as you are" including other books on Sri Ramana's teachings and direct disciples; where's the bliss and the experiences that were there and he replied with the following:

quote:
It is common to have blissful experiences at the beginning of one's practice, but often these states become less frequent or disappear later on. There is nothing wrong with this. The aim of enquiry is to isolate the one who has the bliss, not indulge it with experiences.

L&L,

Ananda

I spend a fairly significant part of my day engaged in practice. Not sure that I would be able to add anymore, given my current situation.

Perhaps. I might be more feasible for me to mix it up with other practices?

I practice something similar to AYP Deep Meditation. I was fortunate to receive transmission from my spiritual teacher and have access to pure consciousness and can fairly easily abide in the "I AM". However, like you mentioned I feel that my mediation is lacking a certain aspect of the soul.

The meditation is very deep, quiet, serene, but lacks the bliss... which is supposed to be an inherent quality of the self.

Totally agree with David Godman. Many spirtual seekers tend to get caught in the trap of seeking experience rather than seeking truth.

When engaged in pranayama and physical yoga the goal is to awaken the dormant energy this is more so what I was refering to when I noticed that there were diminishing results.

Thank you for the reply

Love,
J

Edited by - wakeupneo on Jan 11 2010 12:27:47 PM
Go to Top of Page

miguel

Spain
1197 Posts

Posted - Jan 11 2010 :  1:08:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi wakeup neo,

Take a look to this recent yoganis lesson.Maybe it helps.

http://www.aypsite.org/366.html

light

PS-First steps with new practices often bring fireworks.Along the daily practice your system becomes adapted and its normal to stop having clear feelings and experiences.Just stick with it,the process is working deep inside.

Edited by - miguel on Jan 11 2010 1:32:52 PM
Go to Top of Page

Shanti

USA
4854 Posts

Posted - Jan 11 2010 :  4:55:11 PM  Show Profile  Visit Shanti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I agree with what Miguel says, initially, practices will bring up fireworks, it then losses it's woo-hoo effects.

Two main reasons for this.
Firstly, most of the energy movements we feel are due to friction in the nervous systems. The nervous system is not purified and as the energy moves though it, there is friction and hence heat, pressure, tingling etc. Once a certain amount of purification has happened, the friction reduces and hence we don't feel the energy as much, it is smoother. Think of it like turning the faucet on and letting water flow into the water hose in winter. There is a piece of ice in the hose that is blocking the water flow...you hear the hissing and feel the pressure in the pipe because the water wants to move through but is encountering a block due to the piece of ice. The pressure of the water will slowly make the ice melt. As the ice melts the flow becomes smoother till the ice is completely melted and it may be hard to tell if there is really water flowing anymore unless you see water coming out of the other end. It is like that with the nervous system.

The second thing is, at first the body/mind notices anything new happening. Like you get your ears pierced, at first the pain will remind you of the piercing, then every time you look in the mirror and see a glitter near your ear, your eyes will catch it... your mind may even make a comment.. "hey that looks good".. but soon you will get used to this and not even realize you have a piercing. Like that, at first the body/mind notices ever small feeling, bliss, insight it gets from the practices, and then it settles into it and it becomes a part of you. So we don't notice as much any more and the mind feels nothing is happening.

I would not recommend adding more, I would suggest you keep going with what you are doing, 'cause you seem stable with it. Things are cooking on the inside now, and you will soon experience the openings.
Go to Top of Page

wakeupneo

USA
171 Posts

Posted - Jan 11 2010 :  7:06:03 PM  Show Profile  Visit wakeupneo's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you Miguel, Shanti, and Ananda. I will continue with resolve.

Go to Top of Page

Ananda

3115 Posts

Posted - Jan 12 2010 :  01:44:34 AM  Show Profile  Visit Ananda's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
thanks Miguel and Shweta.

brother wakeupneo concerning adding more or not, i say that if you feel like it than go for it gradually with very slow steps and for long periods of times weeks and months; in worst case scenario you'll self pace and go back to a more stable routine.

namaste
Go to Top of Page

Etherfish

USA
3615 Posts

Posted - Jan 12 2010 :  07:40:59 AM  Show Profile  Visit Etherfish's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Awesome name, Wakeupneo!
Go to Top of Page

CarsonZi

Canada
3189 Posts

Posted - Jan 12 2010 :  11:21:17 AM  Show Profile  Visit CarsonZi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi wakeupneo....

I'm not too familiar with what is contained in the specific DVD you are following, but I am quite familiar with Kundalini Yoga in general. If I may ask....are there many mudras and bandhas included in the DVD instructions? I know that in the kundalini classes I used to take there was no instruction on Kechari mudra, we didn't sit in siddhasana, and there was no sambhavi mudra either. AND the meditation done was an externally chanted set of mantras. If you are adamant about sticking with your routine (and I'm not saying you should switch, only you can know if you should or should not) perhaps adding some extra mudras and bandhas to your practice set (which does not increase the time spent doing practices) will add some extra "juice".

Personally I found that some of the kriyas in kundalini yoga created some energetic effects, but the meditation portion was quite lacking IME, and didn't seem to exponentially increase the effects of the pranayama/kriyas the way the AYP system does. This is one of the reasons AYP is more effective IME......AYP Deep Meditation "piggybacks" on the effects created by AYP Spinal Breathing Pranayama, and this is why the AYP sadhana is much shorter then most other systems practice sets. AYP SBP and AYP DM together will exponentially increase the effects of both practices more then if they are done seperately.

Perhaps you could outline the specifics of your practice set (in short if it is extremely long to type out) and then perhaps some here will have some more specific suggestions for you.

Hope this helps a bit.

Love.
Go to Top of Page

wakeupneo

USA
171 Posts

Posted - Jan 12 2010 :  11:38:01 AM  Show Profile  Visit wakeupneo's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by CarsonZi

Hi wakeupneo....

I'm not too familiar with what is contained in the specific DVD you are following, but I am quite familiar with Kundalini Yoga in general. If I may ask....are there many mudras and bandhas included in the DVD instructions? I know that in the kundalini classes I used to take there was no instruction on Kechari mudra, we didn't sit in siddhasana, and there was no sambhavi mudra either. AND the meditation done was an externally chanted set of mantras. If you are adamant about sticking with your routine (and I'm not saying you should switch, only you can know if you should or should not) perhaps adding some extra mudras and bandhas to your practice set (which does not increase the time spent doing practices) will add some extra "juice".

Personally I found that some of the kriyas in kundalini yoga created some energetic effects, but the meditation portion was quite lacking IME, and didn't seem to exponentially increase the effects of the pranayama/kriyas the way the AYP system does. This is one of the reasons AYP is more effective IME......AYP Deep Meditation "piggybacks" on the effects created by AYP Spinal Breathing Pranayama, and this is why the AYP sadhana is much shorter then most other systems practice sets. AYP SBP and AYP DM together will exponentially increase the effects of both practices more then if they are done seperately.

Perhaps you could outline the specifics of your practice set (in short if it is extremely long to type out) and then perhaps some here will have some more specific suggestions for you.

Hope this helps a bit.

Love.

Thanks Carson,

None of the mudras you refered to are in the video.

Most of the exercises are just doing different poses while doing the breath of fire and gradually working up the chakras.

Sat Kriya is done as well as a few mediations in which visualization is done up the chakras. this is done in tune to different mantras. Various mediations and deep breathing is also done while holding a 'root lock'.

I think I will start to incorporate AYP into my practice. Maybe every other day.

I'll also try sitting in Siddhasana during the practice. Something I haven't done.

Thanks for all your help.

Love,
J
Go to Top of Page

CarsonZi

Canada
3189 Posts

Posted - Jan 12 2010 :  12:23:56 PM  Show Profile  Visit CarsonZi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hey J....

Sounds exactly like the (3HO) Kundalini classes I used to take (I am now teaching AYP classes in the time slot these kundalini classes used to be in )..... Personally, if I were you, I would gradually make a switch over to the AYP system....it is much more effective and WAY less time consuming. IME, Kundalini yoga is missing the main ingredient, an internal mantra meditation system, and the pranayama here at AYP may seem less "energizing" perhaps, but it is a much more stable and complimentary style for AYP DM then the Kundalini Yoga kriyas/breath of fire styles of pranayama. AYP truly is the "cream of the crop" yoga system IME....I may be biased (likely am) but I have done a lot of different styles of yoga over the years, and AYP is the only one that has truly made a lasting difference in my daily life. I would suggest that you perhaps continue with the Kundalini pranayama for a while, while adding in AYP DM afterwards, and then after you are well established in DM, switch pranayam styles to AYP SBP. Then start adding in the extra mudras and bandhas. This is what I would do if I were you. Personally, when I found the AYP system I was engaged in the SRF Kriya Yoga tradition, following Paramahansa's lessons, and I jumped from doing Kriya to AYP from one day to the next....I didn't find any adverse effects, and in fact found quite the contrary....I found that AYP "worked" as described, and that with Kriya Yoga I was having to "imagine" the wonderful effects more then actually "feeling" them. But if Kundalini Yoga has been working for you up 'till now, then perhaps a more gradual shift would be more appropriate for you....only you can know. But I truly would suggest that you perhaps give the AYP system at least a 6 month to a 1 year trial period....you obviously are not getting what you used to out of the KY system you are practicing, and perhaps that is indication that it is time to try a new system...perhaps not, but perhaps. IME AYP has not had a lasting "plateau" effect, although that is certainly possible. For me it has been a rocket trip straight up. Obviously some day it will plateau, but hopefully that will be into full Unity Consciousness ....who knows....truly the journey is the destination anyways, so....whatever you decide to do, enjoy it.

In-Joy

Love.
Go to Top of Page

Shanti

USA
4854 Posts

Posted - Jan 12 2010 :  12:52:35 PM  Show Profile  Visit Shanti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by CarsonZi

Personally, if I were you, I would gradually make a switch over to the AYP system....it is much more effective and WAY less time consuming. IME, Kundalini yoga is missing the main ingredient, an internal mantra meditation system, and the pranayama here at AYP may seem less "energizing" perhaps, but it is a much more stable and complimentary style for AYP DM then the Kundalini Yoga kriyas/breath of fire styles of pranayama. AYP truly is the "cream of the crop" yoga system IME....

I second this. It is worth investing a few months in trying out AYP. If you do, we would recommend you stop your current practices though... it may cause overloads... but I think you will not regret giving AYP a try. It is simple and very powerful.
But then, it is your choice.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000