New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

BellaMente

USA
147 Posts

Posted - Oct 08 2009 :  9:52:15 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Yogani, I am going back to Detroit tomorrow and I am going to try to meet with the president of my last college on Monday. I will let you know what he says about everything...
Go to Top of Page

cosmic

USA
821 Posts

Posted - Oct 10 2009 :  12:39:23 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Bellamente,

Kirtanman recently posted this:

Direct Link To PDF Article: Buddha’s Brain:
Neuroplasticity and Meditation

in this thread:

http://www.aypsite.org/forum/topic....ID=6490#6490

It might be good ammo for when you talk to your college president.

Peace
cosmic
Go to Top of Page

BellaMente

USA
147 Posts

Posted - Oct 15 2009 :  8:02:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Well, I didn't get to stop by my old college Monday because we were having trouble with the car and had to get it fixed before coming back to Chicago.. But I sent him a detailed message about everything so I will be waiting for his reply...

Thanks for that link cosmic, very good stuff!
Go to Top of Page

BellaMente

USA
147 Posts

Posted - Oct 27 2009 :  9:18:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hey Yogani....

I figured I'd let you know...

I don't want to include the entire conversation here but I talked to my former college president and figured I'd share with you what he said. He did say it might take several years to get a program up and running, but he also said he believes I can get my foot in the door. He suggested I start here at my current college, but since I go to a smaller more technical oriented school and I agree with you in that something like this should be done at a bigger university that is also very diverse and advanced, I was wondering your ideas on trying to get something going at either Emory University (ranked up there with Cornell University, Emory is known for its diversity, both academically and culturally) or at a university in Chicago, somewhere like Northwestern, UIC, etc etc.?? The reason why I ask is because I have more connections at those schools and both are very big and very diverse. I don't even know if I can get something in the works going, but I sure would like to try. As mentioned earlier, I would love to be a part of it, I think it is an awesome idea, and most importantly I would love to give something back to you after all you have done for us here!

So let me know your thoughts on this... I personally don't think it would take too long if you have the right people involved and if they are willing to put in the extra hard work.. But again I can't say for sure... But it doesn't hurt to try...
Go to Top of Page

yogani

USA
5195 Posts

Posted - Oct 28 2009 :  12:53:53 PM  Show Profile  Visit yogani's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi BellaMente:

Your interest in promoting spiritual science in the academic community is much appreciated.

The universities you mentioned sound like suitable candidates. As much as we would like to choose one (Harvard is my first choice), it will ultimately be a university that chooses to pursue applied spiritual science on both the teaching and research sides. So, we should inquire with as many as we practically can, and look for one to grab hold.

Eventually, we will see many universities involved in this, because it is the next great frontier of human scientific knowledge. But not likely in the near future. So we are looking for the few pioneers in research and education for human spiritual development, those who can see beyond the limits of traditional approaches and into the emerging wide-open science of human spiritual transformation -- that which is verifiable cause and effect, applicable within any cultural or religious framework.

Preferred university components for supporting applied spiritual science include:

1. A medical school with research capability in neuroscience and related fields.

2. Interest/background in complimentary and alternative medicine (CAM), with interest/ability to obtain grant funding. This growing area of research funding can be applied potentially to spiritual science.

3. Schools of philosophy and religion (non-sectarian).

4. Schools of psychology and social sciences.

5. Schools of physics and physical sciences.

Ideally, a department of applied spiritual science would draw on all of these, and provide course curricula and degrees of its own. Obviously, this will not all happen overnight. It will start somewhere, perhaps with one class or one research grant, likely with one person in the lead, and evolve from there. It is a long term project.

A journey of 1000 miles begins with a single step.

Thanks!

The guru is in you.

Go to Top of Page

BellaMente

USA
147 Posts

Posted - Nov 10 2009 :  2:41:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
No need to thank me! Thank you!

I am going to talk to someone here at my school who has a lot of connections. So I will bring this up and see where he points me...

In the meantime I will keep you posted- I'll let you know any additional feedback I receive.

God bless you Yogani, you are a beautiful man!!

Go to Top of Page

msd

USA
2 Posts

Posted - Nov 30 2009 :  4:11:31 PM  Show Profile  Visit msd's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Yogani and others, just got up to speed on this thread and recognize the challenge of creating interest in a research grant or other vehicle for creating a class(es)in Applied Spiritual Science. I have racked my brain on how to create an opening at the University of Florida. Has anyone approached them yet and who is the point of contact? I have worked in the nuclear division at Florida Power & Light for just over 30 years and a number of our employees are Florida graduates. Most significant is our current President, a Florida alumni who is poised to retire in March 2010, has always provided funding to the university and is a strong advocate of the university. I'm certainly willing to talk with him and see if there is a potential opening. My sense is that we would draft a letter with his concurrence (or a reference to his standing) and send it to the right location for consideration. I would draft the letter with Yogani's final approval and provide a copy to our FPL President to show him our intention. The relationship of nuclear science and Applied Spiritual Science starts with the sanskrit work "anu"(atom),and as a pefix denotes together or similar. What better way to introduce the university to this relationship. Please let me know what everyone thinks and I will move forward with a draft, if agreed.

Thank you,
Mark
Go to Top of Page

markern

Norway
171 Posts

Posted - Dec 01 2009 :  10:55:37 AM  Show Profile  Visit markern's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply

A better one:
"Department of Applied Spiritual Science" = DASS
Much more respectable.

Well in Norwegian that means toilett
Go to Top of Page

markern

Norway
171 Posts

Posted - Dec 01 2009 :  11:14:01 AM  Show Profile  Visit markern's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I met an Iyengar teacher and ayurvedic doctor this summer that had a masters degree in yoga from an indina university. He said this degree is basicly a research degree but combines study of classical texts, practice of yoga and mediation with learning modern research methods.

THere is a huge amount of qigong research in china. There is also pure qigong hospitals and to a large degree a good integration between western and traditional chineese medicine and qigong at many of the hospitals. I know also that they have very formal trainings for becoming qigong healers and medical qigong "doctors". I dont know if any of that is connected to universities and medical schools but I am under the impression that they sometimes are.

Naropa is already more or less a university doing some of this stuff but also so o"out there" that it is not the place that will bring this to the attention of the world. Harvard would do a better job. HArvard is already quite open to these things and has done quite a bit of mediation and yoga research.

How about Yogani aproaching Yogajournal and asking them to interview him about aplied spiritual science and the wish for it to get established at conventional universities? I think they would like the idea of promoting such an idea and interview Yogani. The what is enlightenment magazine would love the idea I think.

Go to Top of Page

yogani

USA
5195 Posts

Posted - Dec 01 2009 :  12:27:12 PM  Show Profile  Visit yogani's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by msd

Yogani and others, just got up to speed on this thread and recognize the challenge of creating interest in a research grant or other vehicle for creating a class(es)in Applied Spiritual Science. I have racked my brain on how to create an opening at the University of Florida. Has anyone approached them yet and who is the point of contact? I have worked in the nuclear division at Florida Power & Light for just over 30 years and a number of our employees are Florida graduates. Most significant is our current President, a Florida alumni who is poised to retire in March 2010, has always provided funding to the university and is a strong advocate of the university. I'm certainly willing to talk with him and see if there is a potential opening. My sense is that we would draft a letter with his concurrence (or a reference to his standing) and send it to the right location for consideration. I would draft the letter with Yogani's final approval and provide a copy to our FPL President to show him our intention. The relationship of nuclear science and Applied Spiritual Science starts with the sanskrit work "anu"(atom),and as a pefix denotes together or similar. What better way to introduce the university to this relationship. Please let me know what everyone thinks and I will move forward with a draft, if agreed.

Thank you,
Mark

Hi Mark:

The University of Florida would be great.

They have nearly all of the pieces suggested here (not sure about CAM). The question is, do they have the inclination yet to expand into this kind of research?

It is the "final frontier" of human exploration, and belongs in all of the large mainstream universities.

Thanks much, and go for it!

The guru is in you.

Go to Top of Page

yogani

USA
5195 Posts

Posted - Dec 01 2009 :  12:52:00 PM  Show Profile  Visit yogani's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by markern

How about Yogani aproaching Yogajournal and asking them to interview him about aplied spiritual science and the wish for it to get established at conventional universities? I think they would like the idea of promoting such an idea and interview Yogani. The what is enlightenment magazine would love the idea I think.

Hi Markern:

Ready here whenever they are. But the approach is best to be by others. Go for it. No time to waste.

The guru is in you.

Go to Top of Page

wakeupneo

USA
171 Posts

Posted - Dec 31 2009 :  6:20:10 PM  Show Profile  Visit wakeupneo's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
This thread deserves a bump. I'm currently enrolled in a Master's program for Psychology here in Illinois and it's troubling to see the level of stagnation in modern psychotherapy. It almost pains me to sit there and be forced to memorize and regeretate Freudian theory. The traditions of the east are in many ways light years ahead of western psychology in terms of theory and technique. Such a program is severely needed in this country. Yogani if anything transpires with this, please keep us posted.
Go to Top of Page

jamuna

Australia
104 Posts

Posted - Jan 07 2010 :  07:55:03 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hello, I have not read all the posts and hope I am not repeating what has been said but Maharishi Mahesh Yogi has founded several universities in a few countries (to the best of my knowledge) including the Maharishi university of management (http://www.mum.edu/), The university programs integrates meditation into the curriculum and there are courses in science etc, given the university was founded on spreading the truths of yoga practices I would think they would be reasonably open to research in this area. I am not sure on the standing of this university in america or any other details and am not affiliated with the university or speaking on their behalf.
Go to Top of Page

Pheel

China
318 Posts

Posted - Sep 04 2010 :  11:53:25 PM  Show Profile  Visit Pheel's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi all,

Run into this thread by accident. But would the following link be of some help?
http://www.imconsortium.org/

Phil
Go to Top of Page

JosephUK

United Kingdom
212 Posts

Posted - Sep 12 2010 :  4:39:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi,

I am a little new to the game but have practiced with Good results and have faith in it.

The conclusion i have come to is that a first "grounded" step would be to create a short course describing this process without researching it scientifically at first. Part of the teaching process over a month or so would be to practice the first two stages i.e. deep meditation and Spinal Breathing.

This would start to broaden the access base of AYP and give people a tangible "feel" for the results they have achieved in practice.

My university (UK) runs a short course program called life long learning, it takes a broad base of people
young and old from the unemployed to the retired.
If i ever get my confidence back I would happily teach a syllabus based on AYP Spiritual transformation and thats all you need a syllabus,

you don't need funding.

there also is the science of transpersonal experiences which might invite practitioners to delve into some of the scenery.

also there is a website http://www.isabelclarke.org/ describing the growing link of Psychosis and Spirituality and there is an extremely active forum (can't find right now with documented experiences of sufferers who maintain that their (Psychotic) condition is Spiritual"

CAM is one growing area of funding but Mental health is massively funded and with the right research in terms of developmental psychology could be linked with developmental issues of Schizophrenia (which is what I almost had)

there is a book linking East and west philosophy which delves a little into the area of mental health (more from a counselling perspective) called Easter Body western mind by Anodea Judith

if you could just pursuade one academic to study Schizophrenics practising your AYP for a number of years you'd be laughing.

From my experience the only thing missing (in a Spiritual perspective) from the AYP which would be necessary in a study for Schizophrenics is Mindfulness and Prayer (outward Samyamma)

both of these things have granted me great miracles from my weird and wonderful ills.

(basicly what you need to do first in create a research proposal and present it to a number of academics)

but it could work great with the likes of CBT in cognitive behavioural therapy.

the mental health foundation actually do a course in Mindfulness for people so it is definitely growing.

it's like you say the cart and the horse.

but if your looking at both and only pick one?

i would happily be studied to see how i get on over the next s many years with my mental health but the question is: will any one do it?

mental health is a big claim but all you need is one certifiable result and you've caught peoples eye.

Sorry that actually helped me more than it helped you :P

p.s. have you thought of emailing doreen virtue and getting some expert meditators to look into doing studies of the Spiritual realms you could easily publish a book on that to generate some revenue?

i will stop now....

Joe

Go to Top of Page

JosephUK

United Kingdom
212 Posts

Posted - Sep 12 2010 :  5:23:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
P.s. there is a well known person centred counsellor working at University of Norwich UK who has documented some of his Spiritual experiences in the counsellors chair, he might be a good starter to see whats possible in the UK. He is also an Anglican Cardinal, called Brian Thorn. The counselling taught at norwich includes a Spiritual element which might be a way in (Norwich university is where the controversy about global warming started)

speaking of controversey, starting some is one good way of getting your name known :)
Go to Top of Page

lalow33

USA
966 Posts

Posted - Mar 12 2018 :  1:46:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I know this is an old thread. I emailed Jill Bolte Taylor to take a look at AYP.

Recently, I saw her TedTalk. It was wonderful. It's very in the brain/body type of awakening.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000