Satsang Cafe - General Discussions on AYP
 Questions about effortless attention on mantra
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

reidmantra

United Arab Emirates
57 Posts

Posted - Aug 03 2022 :  04:52:23 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Hi All. Reidmantra here. Every time I read Yogani's instructions for deep meditation he says that whenever we realize that we are off the mantra, we easily come back to it. Q1. This to me sounds like he is saying that we make a conscious effort to gently focus on the mantra as long as we possibly can for our 20 minute meditation time. If we lose focus, we pick it back up and do the same thing again. I get a headache every time I do this. My headache stays with me for most of the meditation. What am I doing wrong? Is there an easier way to focus on the mantra without it causing a headache? Q2. I was wondering, is it ever okay to start the mantra by repeating it once or twice and then let it come and go in and out of the mind as it chooses to, or must I try to remain focused on it? Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance to all who will respond. Namaste. - Reidmantra

nina

USA
31 Posts

Posted - Aug 03 2022 :  5:25:20 PM  Show Profile  Visit nina's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Reidmantra!

This used to happen to me too when I would favor the proper pronunciation of the word instead of the vibration of the sound of the word. I hope that makes sense. That's just my personal experience though.

Nina
Go to Top of Page

interpaul

USA
524 Posts

Posted - Aug 03 2022 :  7:17:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Reidmantra, If you are getting a headache you are likely trying to hard, i.e. mentally straining. This is a very gentle process. You very gently do the mantra and if you find you have lost it, you just return to it. There should be no effort in the process. It's like looking at a beautiful flower. You just see it. If you are intensly trying to focus on it and bring meaning to the experience that would be straining.
Go to Top of Page

SeySorciere

Seychelles
1532 Posts

Posted - Aug 04 2022 :  09:34:44 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Dear Reidmantra,

Yes, you are to "make a conscious effort to gently focus on the mantra as long as we possibly can for our 20 minute meditation time" and yes, you are to "let it come and go in and out of the mind as it chooses to"
Find the fine line of doing both.

Sey
Go to Top of Page

reidmantra

United Arab Emirates
57 Posts

Posted - Aug 04 2022 :  5:20:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hello Interpaul and SeySorciere. Thank you for your responses. The flower analogy is a good one for me. And Sey, I know not to long ago when I described how I meditate, you said that my practice was spot on. I am sorry for my vacillating mind. I hope you are not disappointed in me for my confusion. I have a tendency to question my own experiences and question my own questions. :)
Go to Top of Page

reidmantra

United Arab Emirates
57 Posts

Posted - Aug 04 2022 :  7:11:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi All. I just wanted to also say thank you to Nina. That idea or thought is helpful to me. To sum it up, I am grateful for all who have responded so far. Even if no one else responds, I still appreciate everyone on this and the Deep Meditation and Samyama forum. I have learned a lot from all of you!! Thank you, and Namaste. - Reidmnatra
Go to Top of Page

SeySorciere

Seychelles
1532 Posts

Posted - Aug 05 2022 :  07:50:20 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Dear Reidmantra,

You'll get there, to the point of confidence, when you will realize - Oh I was worrying over nothing. Years down the line, I was also still asking myself the question - am I doing it, right? Especially during plateaus between highs where nothing seems to be happening.

I introduced AYP to a doctor friend (highly intellectual, over-thinker) some 5 years ago and every time I would ask her - how is your meditation going? She would moan - Oh, it's not working for me; my mind is monkey chatter etc.. and she would have very analytical questions but still she kept at it. And then last night she texted me to thank me profusely, saying she finally gets it and is now ready to consider herself a Seeker (I have refrained from saying - please don't seek while seeking ).

We all have our own timeline.

Enjoy your practices.

Sey
Go to Top of Page

Christi

United Kingdom
4364 Posts

Posted - Aug 05 2022 :  1:54:37 PM  Show Profile  Visit Christi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Reidmantra,

There are a number of things that can cause headaches during meditation. As interpaul mentioned, straining too hard can be one possible cause. And as Nina mentioned, straining for too clear a pronunciation of the mantra can also be a cause.

The other possible cause of a headache is over-purification. This can be happening because of the effects of meditation in general, or more specifically, because of the mantra being used. If it is being caused by the overall purification effect of meditation, then cutting back on the duration of the practice could help, combined with taking more time to rest, at the end of practices. Increasing grounding practices as well is important, if this is what is happening. See lesson 69 on this.

If the headache is being caused by the mantra being used, and you are using one of the mantra enhancements, then cutting back to a previous enhancement for some time could help. If you are using the AYAM mantra and you feel that this is causing the headaches, then switching to the breath, as a meditation object, for some, time could help. The Passive Awareness Technique could also be used as an alternative to mantra meditation, for practitioners with abiding inner silence present. Lesson 367 and the following 12 lesson additions discuss this.

Christi

Go to Top of Page

reidmantra

United Arab Emirates
57 Posts

Posted - Aug 09 2022 :  02:36:13 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Christi. Thank you for the tips. I am just using the Ayam mantra. I think my problem is that I am focusing to hard on the mantra. I saw a post where somebody said that we should gently rest our awareness `on' or `with' the mantra. If your mind gets distracted by a thought or feeling, or sensation, we just acknowledge that, and let the thought stream go and come back to resting the attention back on the mantra until we get distracted again. I believe that is what Sey and Interpaul are describing. Am I wrong? Sorry Sey, I guess I am not just as far down the path as you are. My bhakti is strong, but I have a very hard time getting out of my head. I have an overly analytical mind like the doctor you mentioned. Trusting that I am truly `doing it right' has been a very very slow process. I know I will develop confidence and certainty but like you pointed out, everyone has their own timeline. Just happy that I can always come to the Ayp community for clarification, answers, and support. Someone once said, that the spiritual path is (at times) best done in community. BTW Sey, your interpretation of the sutras is really beautiful and deep. Thank you for sharing them with all of us.- Reidmantra
Go to Top of Page

SeySorciere

Seychelles
1532 Posts

Posted - Aug 09 2022 :  06:18:51 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply

Sey
Go to Top of Page

Christi

United Kingdom
4364 Posts

Posted - Aug 09 2022 :  4:47:03 PM  Show Profile  Visit Christi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by reidmantra

Hi Christi. Thank you for the tips. I am just using the Ayam mantra. I think my problem is that I am focusing to hard on the mantra. I saw a post where somebody said that we should gently rest our awareness `on' or `with' the mantra. If your mind gets distracted by a thought or feeling, or sensation, we just acknowledge that, and let the thought stream go and come back to resting the attention back on the mantra until we get distracted again. I believe that is what Sey and Interpaul are describing. Am I wrong? Sorry Sey, I guess I am not just as far down the path as you are. My bhakti is strong, but I have a very hard time getting out of my head. I have an overly analytical mind like the doctor you mentioned. Trusting that I am truly `doing it right' has been a very very slow process. I know I will develop confidence and certainty but like you pointed out, everyone has their own timeline. Just happy that I can always come to the Ayp community for clarification, answers, and support. Someone once said, that the spiritual path is (at times) best done in community. BTW Sey, your interpretation of the sutras is really beautiful and deep. Thank you for sharing them with all of us.- Reidmantra

Hi Reidmantra,

Yes, that is correct practice.

Christi
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000