Discussions on AYP Deep Meditation and Samyama
 DM Beginner Questions
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Kadir

USA
2 Posts

Posted - May 26 2022 :  2:50:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Hello Everyone,
Looking for your guidance..
I have been practicing DM twice daily for the past 5 months. I have had positive results in the daily activities in between meditations. I have a few questions regarding my practice situation. I am following the procedure and can clearly see the Mantra refining during the sessions. Sometimes the Mantra seems to be going on automatically in the background. I realize that and try to sync up with it by coming back to the Mantra with attention & favoring. It seems that I have a few choices during those situations
1. I can simply observe the mantra, if I do that, the mantra eventually dies down to nothing after some time, then I have to go back to mantra like restarting the repeating process from clear mantra sound.
2. It feels like someone else is repeating automatically, not me and I can try to merge with it with attention & favoring and with little effort to make it keep going with the Mantra at whatever level of fuzziness. But sometimes it is a struggle to merge with the Mantra, as it maybe an unrepeatable sound
3. I can completely disrupt the automatic process and take over like me taking control of silently uttering the mantra from whatever level of fuzziness of the mantra.
My question is which of these 3 option is the correct one. To me second option looks correct. But would like to get your input to ensure I am on the right track.
Second question, most of the time I don’t lose the mantra. It is either in the background or foreground. When it is in the background, with attention & favoring I bring it to the foreground. So totally losing the mantra does not happen most of the time. Is it ok ?

Christi

United Kingdom
4364 Posts

Posted - May 26 2022 :  6:56:24 PM  Show Profile  Visit Christi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Kadir,

Welcome to the AYP forums!

Number one is the correct procedure. Simply observe the mantra, easily favouring it with your attention whenever you realise you are off it. The mantra may die down to nothing, and then, when you realise you are off it, you easily pick it up again. Like that.

The mantra may begin repeating automatically in the mind, and if that happens, you simply continue with the same procedure, allowing the mantra to repeat itself and favouring it with your attention over anything else going on. It does not make any difference how clear or fuzzy the mantra is, you can always favour it with your attention. Even if it becomes an unrepeatable sound, or a continuous vibration, you can still favour it with your attention.

In answer to your second question, yes, that is fine. You are simply favouring the mantra with your attention whenever you realize you are off it. There is no requirement to totally lose the mantra at all. Every meditation session will be different and will reflect the level of purification that is happening in the body and mind at that time.

Christi
Go to Top of Page

Kadir

USA
2 Posts

Posted - May 27 2022 :  04:19:14 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Christi for your quick clarification on this. I will try the DM as per your advice. I have one follow up question regarding your below reply.
"Number one is the correct procedure. Simply observe the mantra, easily favouring it with your attention whenever you realise you are off it. The mantra may die down to nothing, and then, when you realise you are off it, you easily pick it up again. Like that."
In my Situation, When the Mantra dies down to Nothing. For example in about 7 minutes into the DM, I realize that there is nothing to work with to proceed. It is kind of little tense as to what the next steps are. It happens sometimes. I have tried going back to the softer "iam" Mantra (because it comes easily in that mental state. By Softer I mean in comparison to the beginning of the DM, where the "IAM" Mantra is introduced clearly on the surface.) and this softer mantra seems to refine very quickly say in about 30 seconds and I can finish up the Meditation well. But my only concern is that I am not picking up the mantra from where I left off. Because where I left off there was nothing. Am I good with going back to the softer Mantra when my Mantra dies down and continuing till the end of the session ?
Go to Top of Page

Christi

United Kingdom
4364 Posts

Posted - May 27 2022 :  2:44:08 PM  Show Profile  Visit Christi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Kadir,

The Deep Meditation instructions are not to pick up the mantra where you left off. The instructions are here in lesson 13:

"When you come back to it, come back to a level that is comfortable, not straining for either a clear or fuzzy pronunciation." [Yogani]

So if it is comfortable for you to come back to a "softer" repetition of the mantra (less clearly pronounced), then that is fine, and in line with the instructions.

Christi
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000