Satsang Cafe - General Discussions on AYP
 meditation wood crack sounds
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

daviregeloa

Uruguay
1 Posts

Posted - Apr 16 2022 :  03:24:23 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
I have been practicing yoga for a long time. Sometimes, but consistently, I hear cracking sounds coming from around furniture during meditation. Is that normal?

interpaul

USA
525 Posts

Posted - Apr 16 2022 :  3:35:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Daviregeloa, Welcome to the forum. As a science minded person I think there are a lot of variables to consider here. First of all, it depends on what type of yoga practice you are doing. Asanas practiced on top of old furniture would certainly cause cracking sounds. I suspect people practicing Tibetan tummo mediation would create increased heat in their immediate surroundings which could cause wood to contract generating sound. I suspect you are wondering if you are somehow sending energetic fields into the environment which is resulting in these sounds. If you read some of Yogani's teachings on Patanjali's discussions on powers created by doing samyama you could make a case for this being a siddhi of sorts. In AYP Yogani sees these types of epiphenomenon as "scenery" and not particularly relevant to one's spiritual practice, but certainly interesting to observe. For me, these epiphenomenon infuse the practices with a sense of mystery encouraging me to continue down the path remaining curious what awaits me around the bend.
Go to Top of Page

SeySorciere

Seychelles
1532 Posts

Posted - Apr 19 2022 :  06:29:13 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Dear Daviregeloa,

Welcome to the forums. It is impossible to say for sure that the cracking sound coming from the furniture are related to your yoga practice but for sure the movement of kundalini may give rise to both internal and external sounds and cracking sounds are common. I expect these sounds startle you and is painfully felt in the energy body.
And like Interpaul says - it is scenery, intriguing but not necessarily relevant to spiritual growth.

Enjoy your practices

Sey

Edited by - SeySorciere on Apr 19 2022 06:30:28 AM
Go to Top of Page

Blanche

USA
859 Posts

Posted - Apr 22 2022 :  1:15:56 PM  Show Profile  Visit Blanche's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I have noticed cracking sounds and other things. Somewhere in the lessons, Yogani writes objects start to respond to meditation at some point. What does it mean?

Milarepa used to dismiss meditation experiences, but not before explaining them.
Go to Top of Page

BlueRaincoat

United Kingdom
1730 Posts

Posted - Apr 22 2022 :  9:23:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I remember noticing cracking sounds in furniture in my early years of practice (quite a while ago). I remember wondering: "has this furniture been cracking before and I'm only noticing it now?" It did stop after a while.
I can't tell if the furniture went though a cracking stage or it had anything to do with meditation.

quote:
Originally posted by Blanche
Milarepa used to dismiss meditation experiences, but not before explaining them.

Go to Top of Page

Dogboy

USA
2195 Posts

Posted - Apr 23 2022 :  02:01:08 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Same here, though not lately. I was also seeing “fireflies” in a darken room the first year.
Go to Top of Page

Blanche

USA
859 Posts

Posted - Apr 24 2022 :  1:11:08 PM  Show Profile  Visit Blanche's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Dogboy,

Fireflies are the experience of the third stage of dissolution in meditation and in death (see The Tibetan Book of The Death). Here is the order of experiences during dissolution:
-mirage
-smokiness
-fireflies
-candle flame
-moonlit sky
-sunlit sky
-pitch-darkness
-clear light/translucence/transparency.
Go to Top of Page

SeySorciere

Seychelles
1532 Posts

Posted - Apr 25 2022 :  07:07:39 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Interesting. No lotus flower in that list? I have seen plenty of lotus flowers
And water, fire, earth, air, inner space. (I would have thought those would have been the list)

I thought the fireflies were remnants of light photons on the retina.

Sey

Go to Top of Page

Blanche

USA
859 Posts

Posted - Apr 25 2022 :  1:39:21 PM  Show Profile  Visit Blanche's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Sey,

Visions of lotus flowers are signs of chakra opening. The inner "tree of life" blossoms in meditations, as the chakras open and the prana moves and opens the central channel. Then the dissolution occurs in stages: earth to water (experienced as mirage), water to fire (smokiness), fire to wind (fireflies), wind to consciousness/space (candle flame). These four stages of body-mind dissolution are followed by four formless stages of dissolution.

These experiences in meditation are distinctive, and accompanied by other changes in neurophysiology, in emotional and mental state. Once they start to happen regularly, we can stay with them and stabilize the stage, which will work toward stabilizing the mind in long term. Deep meditation practiced regularly would bring one to realize all these stages.

Go to Top of Page

Dogboy

USA
2195 Posts

Posted - Apr 25 2022 :  10:36:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Blanche

The fireflies I was observing for a few months happened outside of meditation, navigating the dark before bed. Are you saying these “visions” are present and expected in both meditation and death?
Go to Top of Page

SeySorciere

Seychelles
1532 Posts

Posted - Apr 26 2022 :  07:31:22 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you, Blanche for further elaborating.

Sey
Go to Top of Page

Blanche

USA
859 Posts

Posted - Apr 27 2022 :  01:30:57 AM  Show Profile  Visit Blanche's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Dogboy,

Yes, the dissolution follows the same stages in meditation and death. And in sleep, in a way - you know the "unbounded awareness" of yoga nidra. We do not notice because we lose awareness at some point, but with training, we can learn to maintain awareness - first in meditation, then in sleep, and hopefully at death, too. When we go through this process of dissolution again and again in meditation and in sleep, it is like going through many lifetimes of learning.

The stages of dissolution are experienced somewhat different by different people. Fireflies before falling asleep sound more like mirage/hallucinations of the first stage. In meditation, some experience the first stage of dissolution with a lot of releases, accompanied by excited joy and energy. Some get hot. And so on.

With stable meditation practice, there is no reason for anyone not to go through all these stages.
Go to Top of Page

Blanche

USA
859 Posts

Posted - Apr 27 2022 :  01:31:42 AM  Show Profile  Visit Blanche's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Sey
Go to Top of Page

rerince

Austria
15 Posts

Posted - Apr 27 2022 :  08:05:27 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I used to hear loud knocking noises like that too.
Sometimes on the wood around me, or the window glass, or the walls of the float-tank.
Like you said, maybe we're just noticing them more.

I used to tell myself that it's just rising body temperature or something causing compression released creaks. That's how I sleep at night now.
Go to Top of Page

Blanche

USA
859 Posts

Posted - Apr 28 2022 :  12:41:54 PM  Show Profile  Visit Blanche's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi BlueRaincoat and Rerince,

It is easy to check if these things are only the result of increased attention in meditation: Just pay attention to what happens around you when you do not meditate. If you notice cracking and other things while not meditating, then they probably have to do with furniture, etc. This occurred to me, too, and what happens in meditation does not happen otherwise.

And how hot would a body had to get to trigger the release of compression tension many feet away? It does not make sense.
Go to Top of Page

rerince

Austria
15 Posts

Posted - Apr 29 2022 :  09:25:48 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
It's easy to check if it's just from increased attention: Just increase your attention and see if still happens!
Go to Top of Page

BlueRaincoat

United Kingdom
1730 Posts

Posted - May 02 2022 :  3:04:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Blanche

Hi BlueRaincoat and Rerince,

It is easy to check if these things are only the result of increased attention in meditation: Just pay attention to what happens around you when you do not meditate. If you notice cracking and other things while not meditating, then they probably have to do with furniture, etc.

Hi Blanche
That makes sense.
i guess i was never curious enough to get to the bottom of it... one of the many questions i can just live with
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000