Discussions on AYP Pranayama, Mudras and Bandhas
 When to introduce SBP?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Ridingsplosh

Bulgaria
4 Posts

Posted - Jan 11 2022 :  4:28:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
I have recently started Deep Meditation and Spinal Breathing Pranayama, a few days ago. At first I did 10 minutes of spinal breathing followed by the meditation. However, I noticed that my mind would get tired meditating after about 10 minutes and I couldn't continue. Is this a sign that I am doing too much? Should I first work up to 20 minutes twice a day, and only after that introduce Spinal Breathing Pranayama? Or maybe I should do a bit of both instead?

Christi

United Kingdom
4369 Posts

Posted - Jan 12 2022 :  02:22:32 AM  Show Profile  Visit Christi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Ridingsplosh,

It is good to begin with Deep Meditation practice first, and to let that become an established practice before beginning Spinal Breathing Pranayama.

Once you have a regular Deep Meditation practice going, and you feel ready, you can introduce Spinal Breathing to your practice, beginning with 5 minutes of Spinal Breathing before meditation, and then building up to 10 minutes.

How long you choose to wait before introducing Spinal Breathing is up to you, and it is different for everyone. Essentially you should be comfortable with Deep Meditation practice, and stable energetically for some time, before introducing Spinal Breathing. Personally I would suggest to allow a minimum of three or four weeks between adding one practice and the next. For some it will be quite a bit longer than this. Months, or even years.

This is discussed in this lesson.

And also in this lesson addition:

Addition 38.1 - Expanded Discussion on the Importance of Self-Pacing

And in the Eight Limbs of Yoga Book here

quote:
"Any change should be done gradually, with each step stabilized and sustained as part of our regular routine over weeks and months before making additional changes. The key to success in yoga practices is long term consistency and stability in our routine, with gradual adjustments occurring from time to time." [Yogani]

Christi
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.03 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000