Discussions on AYP Pranayama, Mudras and Bandhas
 Visualisation of Spinal Breathing
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

AlexH

United Kingdom
2 Posts

Posted - May 25 2021 :  2:06:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
When doing SPB I've found the visualisation of a single point travelling up and down the spine to be a little awkward. It feels like there are areas that it skips, or my awareness will move to a few inches to the side of my spine.

It feels more gratifying for me if I just imagine the channel to be open and flowing. I.e. instead of a drop of water moving up the pipe, it is a open channel with water flowing along the whole length.

Any thoughts?

interpaul

USA
524 Posts

Posted - May 25 2021 :  5:42:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
AlexH, Welcome to the forum. Yogani calls this the "clunky" stage. SBP is a powerful practice with the intention of drawing energy from the root to the third eye. In the beginning all these conceptual things can distract you from the simple fact you want to draw that energy upwards. All the details of single point, water, channels etc are mind constructs. Eventually you will come to feel the energy when it rests at the root and the third eye. Don't worry too much about channels and traveling points. This isn't an exercise in imagination, the teachings are one description that is designed to help you to experience that energy movement. I find during the practice I have 100% awareness when the energy is at the root and when it is at the third eye. The transition between the two is a bit more fuzzy. Training your brain to bring the attention between the root and the third eye does require different mental gymnastics for each of us. If you are able to feel the energy in the root and then in the third eye, you will be able to draw it up by whatever method you can (opening your channel).
Go to Top of Page

Dogboy

USA
2193 Posts

Posted - May 25 2021 :  9:37:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hello Alex

I too was clunky with the visualization that eventually became easier once my nadis opened and I could sense energy flow. Resting attention at the third eye at the top of the inhale, and on the perineum at the bottom of the exhale will be the right action for SBP, which primes the shushumna for your meditation. As I enter DM, I imagine my shushumna relaxed and opened, an intention to fully surrender (the paradox of action/inaction ) in acceptance of whatever follows.

Edited by - Dogboy on May 25 2021 9:42:10 PM
Go to Top of Page

AlexH

United Kingdom
2 Posts

Posted - May 25 2021 :  10:16:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks, both replies are helpful. I will relax my expectations and just make sure my attention is strong at the perineum and brow.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000