Satsang Cafe - General Discussions on AYP
 Burnt out by focusing and then..directly..Sadhana
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Wil

Sweden
150 Posts

Posted - Apr 30 2021 :  10:11:28 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Hello,

I know that there is a difference between DM and regular focusing like when one is reading intensively...but there is doubt. Do they go hand in hand without break? If I have been studying for two hours without break, will I miss out in meditation if i directly go into it? Or even if I only have been focused for lets say half an hour?

I mainly ask because I think many of us end work or studies mentally exhausted from focusing and then enter Sadhana. Most times I do not have an issue with it but as I said, there is doubt.

//Wil

maheswari

Lebanon
2516 Posts

Posted - Apr 30 2021 :  12:02:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Wil
Do you mean instead of being with the mantra you think of the residues of your studying ?
If that is your question, you can always do something between finishing studying and meditation...maybe a short walk or some house chores...then sit

Edited by - maheswari on Apr 30 2021 12:03:00 PM
Go to Top of Page

interpaul

USA
524 Posts

Posted - Apr 30 2021 :  12:30:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Wil, I take on my evening meditation at the end of the day. I find the short asana practices help prepare me to go into meditation. Some days I'm in a rush and don't have time to do that. I start with SBP. That is very different from the type of focus you describe from study as you are actively moving your energy up and down the spinal nerve. 10 minutes of that prepares my mind for DM. If you aren't doing SBP yet, consider the gentle asana routine to transition into the different focused state of meditation
Go to Top of Page

Wil

Sweden
150 Posts

Posted - Apr 30 2021 :  1:04:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:

Do you mean instead of being with the mantra you think of the residues of your studying ?

quote:

Wil, I take on my evening meditation at the end of the day. I find the short asana practices help prepare me to go into meditation. Some days I'm in a rush and don't have time to do that. I start with SBP. That is very different from the type of focus you describe from study as you are actively moving your energy up and down the spinal nerve. 10 minutes of that prepares my mind for DM. If you aren't doing SBP yet, consider the gentle asana routine to transition into the different focused state of meditation

Maheswari. I do not mean that. Interpaul. Brings me ease to hear that.

I think I'll do chores or at least something inbetween. Unfortunately I do not do SBP because of self-pacing and I doubt Asana is doable now because I am sensitive to that too. :S
Go to Top of Page

SeySorciere

Seychelles
1532 Posts

Posted - May 01 2021 :  01:26:48 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Dear Will,

Note that there is also a major difference between the two - focusing on your studies is concentration with effort. DM is effortless (un-focused abiding with the mantra) , kind of the opposite. I would also recommend you take a small break in-between. If you have a view, sit with the view and let your eyes and mind relax.

Good luck with both your studies and your practices

Sey
Go to Top of Page

Dogboy

USA
2195 Posts

Posted - May 01 2021 :  08:17:16 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Agree with the other responses. Chores in between sound like a good transition (killing two birds with a stone) but also like Sey’s suggestion of relaxing and doing nothing but being in silence.
Go to Top of Page

Wil

Sweden
150 Posts

Posted - May 02 2021 :  5:48:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
That's what I want to hear!

Btw Sey. I do not know whatsup but I really felt that "Good luck...with your studies..." of yours!
Go to Top of Page

SeySorciere

Seychelles
1532 Posts

Posted - May 03 2021 :  12:51:10 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Nothing like a little positive vibe

Sey
Go to Top of Page

Blanche

USA
859 Posts

Posted - May 04 2021 :  07:40:58 AM  Show Profile  Visit Blanche's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Wil,

I still think that the type of concentration involved in DM is similar with the effortless concentration in our daily life. Often, when we focus on a new task or when we learn a new skill, we repeatedly turn our attention to the task, and this takes some effort (effort concentration). But as what we do gets easier, and our attention gets stronger, we go in a "flow state", and the attention simply stays on the task. The focus becomes effortless. Things that interest us effortlessly hold our attention for long periods of time. In fact, we know that we were really focused when we discover that a longer time passed than we thought - for example, we meditate for 20 minutes, but it seems like 5 minutes only. And when we think the we have meditated for 20 minutes but only 5 minutes have passed, this is a good indication that our attention was not focused.

Some sun salutations/prostrations after a long sitting period and before meditation help us relax and get the body a much needed exercise. Then it is easy to go back to sitting.

Think about your meditation as a vacation. Relax. Let go of all other preoccupation, such as memories, planning, desires. Meditation is a time to be with yourself and take a break. As Sey says, start by resting in silence. And then start the mantra, without expectations, just rest with the mantra. The more relax we are in DM, the better the mantra does its job to clear obstruction in the nervous system.

As about doubts, they are part of the path - I wish I knew this years ago. Things do get better, and the practice is effective, doubts or no doubts.

Thus, the attention you train when you study will help your meditation, and your meditation will improve your attention to be used in your study. They help each other.

I like to go for a walk after meditation, when possible. The more mental activity I do, the more physical activity I need.

The guru is in you.

Edited by - Blanche on May 04 2021 07:42:05 AM
Go to Top of Page

Wil

Sweden
150 Posts

Posted - May 06 2021 :  1:02:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Blanche

I still think that the type of concentration involved in DM is similar with the effortless concentration in our daily life. Often, when we focus on a new task or when we learn a new skill, we repeatedly turn our attention to the task, and this takes some effort (effort concentration). But as what we do gets easier, and our attention gets stronger, we go in a "flow state", and the attention simply stays on the task. The focus becomes effortless. Things that interest us effortlessly hold our attention for long periods of time. In fact, we know that we were really focused when we discover that a longer time passed than we thought - for example, we meditate for 20 minutes, but it seems like 5 minutes only. And when we think the we have meditated for 20 minutes but only 5 minutes have passed, this is a good indication that our attention was not focused.

This "flowstate" is maybe what I thought of, even if I can't say that any of my life's focus is comparable to when I am in meditation. Although, Gently returning to the "insert focus" is what I am doing :)

Now when you mention it, time stops being countable when I am in meditation. It is like you are saying, 20 minutes feels like 5 minutes. It almost always feels short when I think about it. Or is it just timeless maybe? I don't think I should ponder this too much.

quote:
Think about your meditation as a vacation. Relax. Let go of all other preoccupation, such as memories, planning, desires. Meditation is a time to be with yourself and take a break.

I wish I had a longer vacation then because it feels so short. "Time flies fast when you are having fun" heheh, I love meditation.

I look forward to your retreat in the end of May Blanche!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000