Books, Web Sites, Audio, Video, etc.
 Inspiring spiritual movies/t.v. shows
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

interpaul

USA
524 Posts

Posted - Apr 23 2021 :  5:50:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
During my last post Christi and I dialogued a little on The Matrix and it reminded me of how inspirational certain movies and t.v. shows have been in my life. I imagine others have posted on this in the past but I was curious what our active communities favorites are. I'll start off by sharing a few, I'm sure many more will come to me.

The Matrix
Groundhog Day
The leftovers (an underappreciated somewhat dark exploration of deeply existential matters on HBO)

Edited by - AYPforum on Apr 24 2021 03:07:02 AM

AYPforum

351 Posts

Posted - Apr 24 2021 :  03:07:02 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Moderator note: Topic moved for better placement
Go to Top of Page

lightandlove

Germany
85 Posts

Posted - Apr 25 2021 :  02:58:35 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I really like Samsara. Another one I recently watched was Agniyogana. Currently I'm watching the Ramayana by Ramandand Sagar (Series) with english subtitle. It is fun to watch, especially when you have read the Ramayana before.

(Keeping it related to yoga for now) :)
Go to Top of Page

interpaul

USA
524 Posts

Posted - Apr 25 2021 :  11:07:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
lightandlove, I did have the pleasure of watching Samsara a few months ago and agree. I'll check out your other recommendations.
Go to Top of Page

kumar ul islam

United Kingdom
791 Posts

Posted - Apr 26 2021 :  12:33:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Being There with Peter Sellers.
Go to Top of Page

Drystone

United Kingdom
31 Posts

Posted - May 31 2023 :  6:32:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by interpaul

During my last post Christi and I dialogued a little on The Matrix and it reminded me of how inspirational certain movies and t.v. shows have been in my life. I imagine others have posted on this in the past but I was curious what our active communities favorites are. I'll start off by sharing a few, I'm sure many more will come to me.

The Matrix
Groundhog Day
The leftovers (an underappreciated somewhat dark exploration of deeply existential matters on HBO)

I was recently thinking that the Matrix has a great one liner which can be used to understand direct experience (probably has more than one!). The part where Neo says to Morpheus “you mean I can dodge bullets?” And Morpheus replies with “I’m telling you that when you are ready, you won’t have too.” I thought this aptly portrays the part “faith” plays in a persons spiritual development. Basically he’s saying, I’m not asking you to believe me, but with faith and these practices (or downloads in Neos case! - if only it were that easy!)! you will prove it to yourself directly.

I think of this line whenever I read something I don’t really understand in the AYP books, I know I’ll find out for myself one way or the other if I keep up practicing, there’s no point sitting here constantly confused!!!
Go to Top of Page

interpaul

USA
524 Posts

Posted - Jun 02 2023 :  07:45:07 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Drystone, I agree, it does resonate with my experience and Yogani's promise.
Go to Top of Page

DreamWeaver

USA
42 Posts

Posted - Jun 05 2023 :  2:45:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
The Fountain by Darren Aronofsky is defacto my favorite movie, but I haven't seen it in years. I was in high school when it came out and remember going to the theater by myself a couple times to watch it. Critics hated it, but I thought it was soul-shatteringly beautiful. If you watch it, I'd suggest to just experience it and not to try to make sense of it right away.

Other favorites include Contact and Arrival. Both are great for their tension between "rational scientific inquiry" and "faith."

The Matrix is also super solid

Go to Top of Page

TensorTympani

USA
62 Posts

Posted - Jun 06 2023 :  12:07:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
The Fall (Film by Tarsem Singh)
Undone (TV series)

and for anybody liking Samsara, watch also Baraka.
Go to Top of Page

interpaul

USA
524 Posts

Posted - Jun 09 2023 :  6:37:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the additional suggestions
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.04 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000