Discussions on AYP Deep Meditation and Samyama
 Breathing meditation-back to back
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Wil

Sweden
150 Posts

Posted - Mar 22 2021 :  02:03:28 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Hello,

I read somewhere in the forum that breathing meditation is compatible with AYP in general. I am now thinking, is it okay to do breathing meditation in the same practice session as Deep meditation? For instance if I do 10 minutes on breathing followed by 10 minutes of DM, then proceed with Samyama and rest as usual?

PS. I think of this mostly because where I am at I can handle a little over 10 minutes of DM twice a day and I love it. Although I do not want to leave DM completely nor do I want to diverge by replacing one session with breathing meditation.

Christi

United Kingdom
4364 Posts

Posted - Mar 22 2021 :  06:32:23 AM  Show Profile  Visit Christi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Wil,

Breathing meditation is offered in AYP as a temporary alternative to mantra meditation, for people who have become very sensitive to the energetic vibration of the mantra. This is discussed in lesson 367

"For those who are over-sensitive to mantra meditation, no matter how it is approached, it is suggested to use an object for meditation other than a mantra. There are certainly alternative ways to cultivate abiding inner silence in the nervous system. An ancient and reliable method of meditation used widely in the Buddhist system, and elsewhere, involves using the breath as object, rather than mantra." [Yogani]

There isn't any suggestion in the lessons to use both mantra meditation and breathing meditation during the same sitting, so this would be your own experiment. If you have cut down the duration of Deep Meditation practice from 20 minutes to 10 minutes due to experiencing energetic overload, then it could be best to simply stick with that for the time being, until you are stable enough to increase it again. Or if you are still experiencing symptoms of energetic overload then you could cut back further, switching to breathing meditation if you have to go below 10 minutes of mantra meditation.

See lesson 384 on making modifications to the baseline practices:

Lesson 384 - Baseline Systems of Practice and Research on Modifications

Christi
Go to Top of Page

Wil

Sweden
150 Posts

Posted - Apr 04 2021 :  3:12:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Christi

Hi Wil,

Breathing meditation is offered in AYP as a temporary alternative to mantra meditation, for people who have become very sensitive to the energetic vibration of the mantra. This is discussed in lesson 367

"For those who are over-sensitive to mantra meditation, no matter how it is approached, it is suggested to use an object for meditation other than a mantra. There are certainly alternative ways to cultivate abiding inner silence in the nervous system. An ancient and reliable method of meditation used widely in the Buddhist system, and elsewhere, involves using the breath as object, rather than mantra." [Yogani]

There isn't any suggestion in the lessons to use both mantra meditation and breathing meditation during the same sitting, so this would be your own experiment. If you have cut down the duration of Deep Meditation practice from 20 minutes to 10 minutes due to experiencing energetic overload, then it could be best to simply stick with that for the time being, until you are stable enough to increase it again. Or if you are still experiencing symptoms of energetic overload then you could cut back further, switching to breathing meditation if you have to go below 10 minutes of mantra meditation.

See lesson 384 on making modifications to the baseline practices:

Lesson 384 - Baseline Systems of Practice and Research on Modifications

Christi

Thank you. I keep it simple and duly to the lessons...buuuuut this lesson 384 raises my eyebrows. Still keeping it simple like the lessons.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000