Yoga, Science and Philosophy
 Biology of Kundalini
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

bluewhale

USA
5 Posts

Posted - Nov 25 2020 :  12:54:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Namaste everyone,

I recently came across a great book called Biology of Kundalini. The whole book is available online at https://biologyofkundalini.com and written by a person who claimed that she had Kundalini awakening at a very young age. It is an interesting read for those who might be more inclined to see the scientific reasons for the human Metamorphosis called traditionally as Kundalini Awakening .

The book explains what exactly happens when Kundalini is awakened at a biological/biochemistry level. The books explains that as our nervous system transforms there are specific biochemical processes that gets triggered in different glands that creates bliss/happy hormones to a much higher and steady state levels and without a necessity of any external physical life events. Our overall nervous system also becomes sensitive as the it gets purified - as in how the copper is better conductor of electricity than iron. The book also explains the biochemical source of the Nectar that some reports starts dripping at the back of the throat as one gets closer to the awakening (of Kundalini). Nectar is resulted as the cerebral fluid around brain changes its composition resulting in changes in fluid in sinus.

My scientific mind loved this biochemical explanation as it aligns very well with the results that many of you have shared on this forum that you got when you practice AYP - specifically around bliss and feeling of increase in energy conductivity.

My question is around another plausible explanation of how these yogic practices bring these results - which is more around the spiritual dimension rather than merely from the neuro-biochemical changes. We in AYP talk about our improved nervous system and stillness of mind resulting from the yogic practices that connect our individual consciousness to the Universal Consciousness (or Divine), and that connection is the true source of the Awakening and Enlightenment. Meaning our practices improve our nervous system but that improvement is not the end in itself but eventually help open a door for our nervous system to connect us with the Universal Consciousness that brings up bliss and knowledge.

I think given that so many of you have first hand experienced AYP benefits in terms of getting better health, better emotional control and finally the perpetual bliss and feeling of universal connectedness, I definitely feel that if one follow AYP practices over the long term results are assured.

My question is not around getting results but around the causes of those happenings.

Is it possible that these practices improve our nervous system and trigger a metamorphosis in the endocrinal system to create a much higher level of positive happy hormones, and new balance of your steady state hormone levels, and has no necessary connection to the Universal Consciousness? I will definitely take the results of bliss and happiness - no matter how they occur as those are the concrete benefits - but wanted to get your thoughts on the reasons.

This book triggered my thoughts and these questions.

Are Bliss, loss of identity/ego and loss of physical desires, and resulting feeling of connectedness (aka Enlightenment) really a result of supersensitive nervous system that creates a new neuro-bio-chemical balance in our body (which is all happening in our physical body)
OR
Are these results come from the connection with the Divine, Universal Consciousness (which is outside of our physical body)?

Thanks in advance, allowing me to be curious and for your insights.

Stille

Germany
76 Posts

Posted - Nov 25 2020 :  2:38:15 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hey bluewhale,

I can't comment much on the biological changes which occur within a human being undertaking spiritual practice. It is obvious though that something profound is happening - that its whole system is being reworked. Since we cannot scientifically prove universal consiousness to exist (yet), we have to rely on anecdotal evidence to examine the idea that there is "more" to us than our individual, cultural and social experiences. There is loads of anecdotal evidence around and some of it has been tested under scientific circumstances. As far as I know, these studies were lacking in methodological soundness or were financed by unreliable sources. The biggest problem in the scientific field of spiritual study is in my opinion that the scientific method of thinking itself relies on repeatable results while spiritual experiences tend to be once upon a time events which the individual cannot willfully recreate (speaking of the firework experiences). That being said, the stories will eventually perpetuate society as more and more people take up practices, which in turn will trigger more scientific research. Until then one can only study the biological changes occuring and the self-reported state of persons who are involved in spirituality. There already is a lot of research going on in this field; e.g. brain MRT scans of monks/nuns.

My answer to your question would therefore be: it's neither one or the other, it's both. If you adopt the non-dual perspective of looking at it you could say: it's the universal conciousness since universal conciousness is not outside (a product of) the body but rather that the world (including the physical body) is a product of the universal conciousness. If you adopt the materialistic viewpoint and say that it's all just communicating cells then you are still unable to (suffifienctly) explain the anecdotal evidence of spiritual phenomena within the world. I'd assume that the opinion of a person usually depends on the spiritual experiences (amount and kind of experience) they have made.

The debate on this subject is as old as it gets and has so far never been conclusively debated.
Go to Top of Page

bluewhale

USA
5 Posts

Posted - Nov 26 2020 :  08:20:11 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Stille

Hey bluewhale,

I can't comment much on the biological changes which occur within a human being undertaking spiritual practice. It is obvious though that something profound is happening - that its whole system is being reworked. Since we cannot scientifically prove universal consiousness to exist (yet), we have to rely on anecdotal evidence to examine the idea that there is "more" to us than our individual, cultural and social experiences. There is loads of anecdotal evidence around and some of it has been tested under scientific circumstances. As far as I know, these studies were lacking in methodological soundness or were financed by unreliable sources. The biggest problem in the scientific field of spiritual study is in my opinion that the scientific method of thinking itself relies on repeatable results while spiritual experiences tend to be once upon a time events which the individual cannot willfully recreate (speaking of the firework experiences). That being said, the stories will eventually perpetuate society as more and more people take up practices, which in turn will trigger more scientific research. Until then one can only study the biological changes occuring and the self-reported state of persons who are involved in spirituality. There already is a lot of research going on in this field; e.g. brain MRT scans of monks/nuns.

My answer to your question would therefore be: it's neither one or the other, it's both. If you adopt the non-dual perspective of looking at it you could say: it's the universal conciousness since universal conciousness is not outside (a product of) the body but rather that the world (including the physical body) is a product of the universal conciousness. If you adopt the materialistic viewpoint and say that it's all just communicating cells then you are still unable to (suffifienctly) explain the anecdotal evidence of spiritual phenomena within the world. I'd assume that the opinion of a person usually depends on the spiritual experiences (amount and kind of experience) they have made.

The debate on this subject is as old as it gets and has so far never been conclusively debated.

Thanks Stille!
Go to Top of Page

kensbikes100

USA
192 Posts

Posted - Dec 03 2020 :  09:53:45 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I have not read the book and perhaps I should. But I've been involved in science and its logic for my whole professional life, and I wonder about a few things. First, scientific method is indeed based on repeatable results. But there's another level of discipline, which is in terminology. Ideas are not necessarily true just because they have been articulated. I wonder if the author's explanation is hypothesis or theory which has some confirmation, hopefully adequate confirmation.

How does the process work?

The first step is to note some experienced or perceived occurences (observations) are interesting and to describe and confirm the observations (does anyone else see this, or is it just me?).
A reasonable second step is to attempt to explain these funny things (How could this occur?). That proposed explanation is a creation of the mind and not necessarily true. It's called a hypothesis. If it makes explanations which logically explain all of the defined observations, it's a satisfying hypothesis but it's not proper to deem it to be true. It still has to be tested.

So we would say, if this hypothesis is true, what other phenomena or occurrences should we expect to see or experience? So we have to think up some proposed effects of having this new idea. This is a creative process. But we also have to think of how we could look at the world and see if these predictions are true, and how we could make sure we are seeing what is real. One of the strongest ways is to set up experiments and see if the results of this new idea are actually observable. If they are all observable and are seen to be exactly as predicted, the hypothesis can be regarded as a theory. Instead of the AYP Hypothesis, it may be called the AYP Theory of ... Nectar, perhaps.

But there is a lot to look at! And it's human-subject testing, so there are protocols of health and legal protection to be followed. First is to find subjects who might be near Kundalini - how do you even do that? Next: Does the brain fluid actually change? (I'd assume the book tells us this has been observed.) Are there measurable changes in the sinus? Does its composition imply sweetness? Do people think it's sweet if they taste it or they taste a flavor substitute (these are not fluids I'd want to taste, actually)? Is it the same for several advanced yogis? Can it occur without yogic practices? And we're still just defining the observations, not testing any predictions based on the hypothesis!

So I hope I've made a little progress in showing how I want to understand such a book, reflecting it's disciplined and scientific thought as well as a satisfying hypothsis. Really for most of what I read, including the hard science a great hypothesis is usually enough for me.

But until it has some decent confirmation testing, we can't call it theory and certainly not fact. I guess I need to read the book myself.
Go to Top of Page

TaiPi

USA
13 Posts

Posted - Jan 13 2021 :  07:52:31 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
4 years ago thanks to a specific trigger (which I probably can't do justice to here), I got a bunch of physical symptoms (as my 3D world became a waking dream): stomach rumbles, heart palpitations (both distinct from when I've had purely physical disorders), and most notably deep chills even when I was sitting in front of a fire or full blast heater. Whether that was this kundalini stuff, per se, I cannot really say. It lasted for about a month.
Go to Top of Page

Gustavo Woltmann

Italy
22 Posts

Posted - Mar 26 2021 :  07:35:09 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Has it happen again or just one time?
quote:
Originally posted by TaiPi

4 years ago thanks to a specific trigger (which I probably can't do justice to here), I got a bunch of physical symptoms (as my 3D world became a waking dream): stomach rumbles, heart palpitations (both distinct from when I've had purely physical disorders), and most notably deep chills even when I was sitting in front of a fire or full blast heater. Whether that was this kundalini stuff, per se, I cannot really say. It lasted for about a month.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000