Satsang Cafe - General Discussions on AYP
 Pleasing the Guru
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Nirguna

Australia
57 Posts

Posted - Nov 15 2020 :  09:38:52 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
I'm reading book from AYP recommended reading list, Muktananda's "The Play of Consciousness" and I find this quote very discouraging.

"You may repeat your mantra indefinitely, practise severe austerities, meditate for long hours, be liberal in charity, perform elaborate sacrifices, or take dips in the Ganges, but you will never attain realisation unless the Guru feels pleased to bless you with his favour." pg. 229

BlueRaincoat

United Kingdom
1730 Posts

Posted - Nov 15 2020 :  12:12:15 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
HI Nirguna

I think this is where the "guru in you" comes in.

Yes, there is an element of grace in this journey. Remember Yogani saying that we don't "get enlightenment", we surrender to it, when it finds us. As for the guru in the flesh who blesses you with his favour when he pleases, I for one find it impossible to assign the merit of my progress in yoga to any one person. The teachers are many and sometimes they are not even aware they are teachers. Wisdom and light can come from the most unexpected quarters.

One other way to look at it (as there will always be another way ): Do you not think that Yogani has blessed every single one of us? Isn't there grace coming to us through his teaching? I'd even doubt if ever a day has passed since he started putting his knowledge out there that he has not wished his students to progress as fast as safely as they possibly can. There is more than one way to give a blessing. Muktananda knew one way. The world is changing and look, other ways of teaching yoga have appeared, that the teachers of old could not have predicted.

Edited by - BlueRaincoat on Nov 15 2020 12:27:37 PM
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000