Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Forum FAQ | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 AYPsite.org Forum
 Asanas - Postures and Physical Culture
 What must I stretch/strengthen for siddhasana?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Reilly Meng

USA
1 Posts

Posted - Oct 16 2020 :  4:44:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
I'll keep this brief:

When I sit in siddhasana I tend to "dump back" with my pelvis and the ridges of my hips end up jutting out behind me. Yes, I've pulled my butt meat out behind me at 45° angles. Yes, I've made sure I'm sitting tall and directly over my pelvis, not leaning forward. Still, my pelvis dumps backwards. My body is male if it makes a difference (it does). I've noticed this tendency in a lot of male bodies, which indicates to me that they are sitting in the wrong position for their bodies at that time.

I don't think it's my hip flexors, I can do a deep low lunge (back knee planted on the ground) no problem.

I find bolsters to be antithetical to siddhasana AND full lotus, ie if you use one in those postures it's quite bad for your knees. Would a slim meditation wedge help? I'm talking 2-3" tall on the high side.

Anyway, I'm just kinda at a loss as to what to work on to attain a more proper, functional siddhasana. Right now I've abandoned it to sit on a bolster between my legs with knees bent forward and heels next to my butt. Would love to get back to siddhasana but I know that something needs to be toned, stretched or strengthened for me to utilize it properly.

Much love

Christi

United Kingdom
4364 Posts

Posted - Oct 16 2020 :  8:50:55 PM  Show Profile  Visit Christi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Reilly,

The easiest way to learn how to sit in siddhasana, is to start out sitting on a bed, with a cushion underneath you, and a pillow or two behind you for back support. The cushion underneath you should be placed so that it is raising your sitting bodes off the bed, but still leaves some space underneath your perineum. Then you can bring one of your feet back and tuck it in underneath you so that one ankle is lightly touching your perineum.

If you find that this puts too much strain on your knees, you can use a small soft ball or a rolled-up sock, as a prosthetic.

Once you get used to sitting in siddhasana on the bed, you will find that it becomes comfortable to use this seat sitting on the floor if you want to, still with a cushion lifting your sitting bones.

Christi
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.03 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000