Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Forum FAQ | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 AYPsite.org Forum
 Yoga, Career and Money
 Has Covid-19 permanently changed yoga teaching?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author  Topic Next Topic  

jclone

United Arab Emirates
61 Posts

Posted - Oct 15 2020 :  05:08:45 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
If ever there was a time the world needed yoga, it’s now. It feels heavily ironic, then, that avid yogis had their go-to classes cancelled overnight. But thanks to internet, which has enabled yoga teachers to continue to reach their clients, and to tap into larger audiences too.

As this pandemic continues to prove, good things can be born out of bad. One yoga teacher, told me that shortly after Covid hit, she found herself “ready to be creative again”, and needed to “have a reinvention moment.” In other words – this unprecedented turn of events has been a sort of positive force for many, giving them the gumption needed to get imaginative with their offering, and even to improve it.

k.cherry

USA
86 Posts

Posted - Oct 15 2020 :  11:02:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi jclone,

I've wondered about this as well. I can definitely see how some positive changes could be spurred by the constraints of the pandemic. My local studio has started offering livestreamed versions of their classes in parallel to their in-person classes (they're currently open as of writing this). Perhaps they are reaching a wider community this way, and I hope it goes well for them and the community in general. The world definitely needs its yoga teachers more than ever.

-KC
Go to Top of Page

jclone

United Arab Emirates
61 Posts

Posted - Nov 02 2020 :  05:45:58 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
True! I can say that with internet today, my teacher has reached a bigger community than before, but I did miss my friends whom I always go with yoga classes before. I miss those times we go out and eat after 2 hours of yoga classes.
Go to Top of Page

Blanche

USA
859 Posts

Posted - Nov 03 2020 :  06:11:51 AM  Show Profile  Visit Blanche's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
The public health crisis has a considerable impact on the yoga community. I have taught classes outside for a while, but they have stopped as it got cold here. The zoom classes attract a different group than the in-person classes, and overall the attendance is much lower. A few have commented that their yoga practice has become more stable during this time, but most seem to struggle to maintain a regular systematic practice. I am looking for the best way to support students with online retreats and weekly zoom classes.
Go to Top of Page

Dogboy

USA
2193 Posts

Posted - Nov 03 2020 :  07:57:41 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I truly miss attending class in person, the subtle energy and intention shared in a roomful of yogis. I will say my personal practices have not suffered as opportunities for asana are there throughout the day, but I miss the assists given by the teacher who was also a massage therapist; unfortunately his studio did not survive the pandemic shutdown.
Go to Top of Page

jclone

United Arab Emirates
61 Posts

Posted - Nov 05 2020 :  03:04:20 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I think because of limited activities that we can do in isolation, some people decided to try to do things they never did before like attending yoga online, that's why I too get to know new faces from my class sessions time to time.
Go to Top of Page

dietarydongguan

USA
22 Posts

Posted - Nov 23 2020 :  05:29:47 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Changed in a bit where everyone's doing yoga classes in the comfort of our homes. I do miss doing practice with my friend, apparently, she went off-grid trying to level-down this pandemic before she goes back here again.
Go to Top of Page

ArshpreetSingh

India
1 Posts

Posted - Sep 11 2023 :  09:40:21 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Here are some ways in which COVID-19 had influenced yoga teaching up to that point:

Transition to Online Classes: The pandemic forced many yoga teachers and studios to shift their classes online to adhere to social distancing guidelines. Online classes provided accessibility to a wider audience and the convenience of practicing from home. This trend may continue, especially for those who prefer the flexibility of virtual sessions.

Hybrid Models: Some yoga studios began offering a combination of in-person and online classes to cater to different preferences. This hybrid approach might persist as it allows for greater flexibility and adaptability.

Safety Protocols: In-person yoga classes that continued during the pandemic implemented strict safety protocols, such as reduced class sizes, mandatory mask-wearing, and enhanced cleaning practices. These measures might remain in place for some time, depending on public health recommendations.

Emphasis on Personal Health: The pandemic underscored the importance of health and well-being, leading to a potential long-term increase in interest in yoga and other wellness practices.

Teacher Training and Continuing Education: Yoga teacher training programs adapted to include more content on teaching yoga online and addressing the specific challenges and benefits associated with virtual instruction.

Financial Challenges: Many yoga studios faced financial difficulties due to reduced class sizes and closures during lockdowns. The long-term sustainability of these businesses may depend on factors like government support, membership models, and the ability to adapt to changing circumstances.

Community Building: Yoga communities found new ways to connect and support each other online. These virtual communities could continue to flourish alongside in-person connections.

Whether these changes are permanent or not will depend on several factors, including the course of the pandemic, individual preferences, and the evolution of the yoga industry. It's possible that the yoga teaching landscape will continue to evolve as a blend of in-person and online offerings to cater to a diverse range of practitioners.
Go to Top of Page

kensbikes100

USA
192 Posts

Posted - Sep 30 2023 :  2:00:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
My Iyengar teacher, David, here in Ann Arbor asked us what we could do, wanted to do, and were willing to do to continue teaching and group practice. He normally conducts three 90 minute instructional/practice sessions per week. Normally we press (march) through about 30 to 40 asanas in that time, with pointers technique instruction, consulting on health/injury status, discussion of what is and is not working. We start with Tadasana and end with Shivasana. Sometimes we do inversions and sometimes not. Many of the older (70 y.o, 12 years in the practice) members have more skills than the younger, but sometimes not the strength or stability. This being a university town we have members from all walks of life and education, including high-level athletes, dancers, musicians, scholars, and the usual acre of talented AA craftsmen.

What we settled on was that we had to eliminate in-person and group instruction. Between individuals with agreed-upon protection we could meet, but it's almost on a contract basis. But most people gathered on Zoom, complete with dogs, cats, toddlers, and neighbors entering, participating, kibitzing, and generally being supportive. It remained a paid adult and community education activity. Now that the level of immunity has become pretty high, we have moved back into in-person lessons, but some if the remotes have remained remote. It looks like these practice groups can go on.

In terms of AYP and TM, I seem to be the only one who is involved with them. TM because my mantra use, after a few years of trying to stay with the DM mantra, my TM mantra nearly always comes into my head. I am content doing pranayama according to AYP before the recommended DM, and just using my TM mantra instead of my DM mantra. I know we have colleagues who have studied the relative benefits, but I choose to go where my internal winds are blowing me.

A number of us have had COVID, all have been multiply vaccinated and boosted, and we are familiar with each others' disease idiosyncrasies. We have been back in practices physically together for about two years. The school system is debating whether to close out of classroom programs due to increasing cases, but the population has much more immunity than we did 4 or 5 years ago.

But my yoga has progressed! My forward bends are deeper, tree poses last longer and have less wiggling, and in half-moon and other balances I can sometimes go without props! I can't put my hands on the floor but I can do a much deeper table pose than three years ago!

To the last comment by Arpreet:

My Yoga community does not gather in a studio which is itself an established business with the associated financial demands, so such an asset was not threatened economically in our case. The instructor, a certified Iyengar teacher, teaches an Adult Education class under the city Public Schools Adult Recreation and Education Program, and we meet in an Arts Education facility owned and operated by the School System. It was originally build for studios in painting, textile arts, sculpture, ballet and modern dance. The Iyengar class is one of the users of the Ballet studio, complete with barre installed on three walls and a mirror wall on the fourth. We occasionally have fogotten ballet slippers or point shoes on the wall hooks. Yoga students typically leave behind water bottles. I think this is one reason the course has been able to survive around 30 years - it is focused on a person whom is given a workspace by a formal institution - he brings his teaching and that does all the mood-setting which is required. Because of scheduling conflicts, sometimes we are placed in a medium-sized gymnasium, or a large room designed for toddlers, a corner of a huge food facility, or a Cafetorium (an auditorium which is mainly used to serve food). But Yoga teaches flexibility and as in the I Ching, to bend when the direction of the river changes and flows around you, but to continue with what you must.

One knock-on of this situation is that the classes are multi-level - rank beginners combined with mid-level and a few experts. Occasionally we have a local top-certified person coming to a few lessons for some more theraputic practice, which perhaps won't be effective if done under self-direction. But while beginners are taught to adapt the poses to our limitations using all the options for personal props, we know what the intended practice as Mr. Iyengar taught our instructor, requires, entails, and how it should look. But in some cases those of us with longer experience may feel free to assist beginners next to us to find their best way to use props, for example. The pain involved in learning might be circumvented in such cases.

But some formerly in-class students have not returned to in-person. But those who have returned can enjoy the sounds of dogs and cats trying to assist their human friends in their homes, and the at-home students to advise their children and grand-children who want to do it, as well.
Go to Top of Page

kensbikes100

USA
192 Posts

Posted - Sep 30 2023 :  2:58:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
To continue to respond to ArshpreetSingh's excellent and sensitive input,

Certainly American Yoga is not as culturally established as it is in India. Our class has a distinct focus on Asana practice with some pranayama, DM, and choices of thoughts and action touched on. I don't know how thoroughly all of the 8 Limbs are balanced in other courses of instruction. Clearly what we have helps us with the mental and emotional efforts of dealing with the current situations in our nation, and I hope the same is true of yours. I do not intend this comment as inherently political. I think there is ample opportunity for discontent to be felt by those on the Right semicircle as by those on the Left. Citizens on all points of the spectrum can benefit from practices which assist us to tolerate the contradictions which are posed. But now as a retiree I want to learn a little more intensively about the full spectrum of the 8 limbs.
Go to Top of Page
   Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000