Discussions on AYP Pranayama, Mudras and Bandhas
 Soreness Practicing Khechari?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

DutchTeaKettle

USA
1 Posts

Posted - Sep 17 2020 :  2:44:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Hello everyone,

I've been practicing meditation for a while and recently found out about the khechari mudra. Since I only found out about this maybe two days ago, I obviously cannot reach the advanced stages of the mudra, but I have been practicing anytime that I am not speaking and was able to reach the tip of my tongue just behind my uvula into my throat. I am getting a soreness at the back of my soft palette where it opens up to my throat and a soreness at the base of my sternocleidomastoid muscle. Am I advancing too quickly and just experiencing a type of muscle soreness like from hitting a hard workout, or am I just doing something wrong? Should I take a break from practicing the mudra or should I push through? I ask if I should just push through because pain is not present when I hold the mudra, but it is present when I stop performing the mudra.

DutchTeaKettle

interpaul

USA
524 Posts

Posted - Sep 17 2020 :  4:31:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
DutchTeaKettle, I'm no expert on this but I have gradually been moving my tongue back over the last year and just recently am touching my uvula. Two days is pretty heroic and I suspect you are straining your muscles quite a bit. You should never ignore pain. All of yoga is about finding that edge and respecting it and gradually advancing. I'd take your time.
Go to Top of Page

Dogboy

USA
2195 Posts

Posted - Sep 17 2020 :  7:04:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Welcome DTK

Here’s what Yogani says about it: https://www.aypsite.org/108.html

If you quit running after a few sore days of training, you never will finish a marathon. A little soreness can be tested, But pain always means stop. When not in pain, proceed the yoga practice, as much as your Bhakti allows. Commit to five minutes a day, then leave it for tomorrow.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000